Blitzsafe DMX V.2 vs PIE HON03/PC-SON vs SoundGate SNHOND3 for MP3 player plug-in

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blitzsafe DMX V.2 vs PIE HON03/PC-SON vs SoundGate SNHOND3 for MP3 player plug-in

Hi all.. I've got an 04 UK Honda Accord with Nav (looks exactly like a TSX on the outside, and near-identical to a USA Honda Accord EX V6 on the inside). I'm after an adapter to plug my Archos AV700 MP3 player into the factory 6CD stereo. I understand that the Blitzsafe DMX V.2, the PIE HON03/PC-SON, and the SoundGate SNHOND3 will all work (I realise that with some, like the SoundGate, I'll need an extra adapter such as the PIE HON03-F/MM to keep my nav, and that i'll need to convert the headphone jack to the RCA connections on most of these adapters).

Can anyone tell me which of these is likely to be the best? First and foremost, i'm after the best sounding of the lot...

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but does your radio have RDS?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Racer

Ok here is the deal on Bliztsafe and PIE.

The Blitzsafe was just released and should work. However there is a bug that its new users and manufacturer are aware of. Sometimes it will work properly and go into the the CD-C mode so an external source can be used. Sometimes it wont, its intermittent and Blitz is aware of the problem and working on it. If that means working on it for as long as it took them to introduce it after it was promised, dont expect a revised version until late to early next year 2007. Knowing Blitz they would wait until all of thier existing inventory of the bugged adaptors were sold, before they started producing a new batch.

The PIE X-3 will be the greatest option, once they release a TRUE TSX cable promised within the next couple of weeks. The problem with PIE right now is thier current Acura/Honda harness is missing 3 wires the TSX requires to work properly. However thier packaging does list the TSX on it. The revised harness has the 3 wires and should work flawlessly on the TSX. Dealers are not aware of the revised harness, and PIE will not provide any exchange service for previous TSX buyers. The revised harnesses are not packaged any differently or with a different model number designation. Dealers may also have old stock, so there is no sure way yet to get the right one. Im trying to work with PIE on something to remedy this.

I havent had a chance to look into the SoundGate, but others here have used it just do a search. I think I avoided it because it wasnt plug and play and required some splicing, but I could be wrong. Just search, CJams used it I believe.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for your replies Beo and Arch. Beo: i'm not sure... It's as if most radios (in-car and not) in the UK have RDS, it's just that UK stations don't use it... I just get the name of the station on the silver/black display and on the touch-screen (in audio mode)... So i'm not sure at all :-) sorry!

Arch - big thanks for your info... Sounds like the Blitz is one to avoid - I'm after flawless dependability from the setup. The PIE sounds good... So the new revision is available, and works flawlessly? Surely if you get an old one, they're obliged by law to provide a replacement? Listing a car on the packaging that the product doesn't work with isn't promising from any legal standpoint that I can think of...

As for the SoundGate, from what I've seen online (logjamelectronics.com, for example), a Y cable is offered, so that you can unplug the navigation from the back of the stereo, plug in the new Y cable, and then plug the nav into one of the 2 connections at the other end of the Y (the remaining connector on the Y, of course, is for a device to allow you to plug in an MP3 player)... I'll have to look into it...

Out of interest, what connectors are there with an iPod Dock on them for the TSX? I'm contemplating buying one of the new Video 'pods which would sit in the armrest tray of the car (my AV700's too big and would have to sit akwardly in the bottom of the main container!)... If I did get one (and the required connectors), i'd be getting pre-amped audio output from the iPod, insead of the already-amped sound from the headphone jack of my AV700.

Any more replies greatly appreciated!
Old 02-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScreamerUK
.... Surely if you get an old one, they're obliged by law to provide a replacement? Listing a car on the packaging that the product doesn't work with isn't promising from any legal standpoint that I can think of...
Maybe not, but who's going to sue over a <$100 part? You'd do better to recommend a competitor's product.... You can do that cheaply and easily, and get 'em where it hurts -- costing them sales. But when you don't want to recommend their competitor either, due to problems of their own, I dunno what to recommend! Heh.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Cruisin'

hehe vidgamer... I know what you mean, but in most of these cases, the threat is enough :-)
Old 02-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Racer

Guys PIE is aware of the situation with the package advertising compatibility with the TSX. I bought 3 of the original harnesses, and Im stuck with them because PIE is refusing to exchange them. Im working patiently with them and giving them an opportunity to make things right before I have to explain myself to them and 1,000s of forum members who may consider using thier products.

Right now they have no solution to the old harnesses, new ones are on the way. I believe they should honor thier customers by providing a direct exchange since there is no model # distinction for the new harness. There is no way for a customer to tell a new from old unless they are familiar with the wiring or have both to compare. There is also nothing to protect a customer if they order a harness that is not compatible and the manufacturer refuses to exchange it.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the X3, and despite having to pull and replace 4 wires, everything works great. They tell you it is 3 wires, but they also tell you to hold the plugs side by side and compare. There are 4 missing. only three are needed but the could not tell me which 3. I pulled and switched 4 and I have no problems. The benefit of the X3 is that you get to retain the factory XM and have three sets of audio in. I am using a sirius and an i-pod with an additional free set for a portable dvd or whatever else. The switcher fits in the not an ashtray nicely but the underside of the door has to be trimmed out to close. I ran the patch cables under the console into the center storage bin. and plugged on set to the compartment under the HU for the sirius.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Audio & Video in the Off-Topic section, please.