Best Way to Buy a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Way to Buy a TSX

Hi - Its been a long time since a bought a car. Could anyone tell me what is the best way to go about getting a good deal on a TSX? Is the internet the way to go or shall I try to go and negotiate at the dealer. I understand dealers need to make a living so I am not unreasonable in terms of price. I have been on this board, Edmunds etc so I have an idea of prices. I am looking for an auto non-navi model.

I was thinking of going to on of the car sites ans simply emailing for quotes. Any feedback (I am new to this board) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....
Old 02-29-2004, 10:34 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Look online to see what dealerships in your area have what inventory. If you notice a car sitting in inventory for a couple of weeks, contact the dealership and ask for the fleet manager. Explicitly say you are willing to buy today if they agree to your terms. If they have been having a slow week/month and the car has been sitting on their lot, they are more likely to make a deal since having a car sit on the lot for a couple of weeks, affects their new allocation of cars that Acura provides to them.

That is how I got my Arctic Blue/6MT/Navi for 5% over invoice. My car had been at a local dealership for almost a month with no takers.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
End of the month is always better. Do a little research on what is a fair price for the car you want and drive around to a bunch of dealers on a weekday. Don't do it on a Saturday. Walk into each dealer and say "look, I am going to buy a TSX today (with whatever options) and I am going to buy it from the first dealer to give it to me for $xxxxx". Be polite but tell them they have one shot at it. If they try to fuck around say thank you and go to the next dealer. Super easy and no stress.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent choice on vehicle, Foolish. You're going to love owning it.

Edmunds.com has a section on how to buy a new car buried somewhere on their website. It's pretty informative. There is also some sort of "confessions of a car salesman" section on Edmunds as well.

There are so many approaches these days, but most people agree that walking into a dealership unprepared and talking to the 19 kid who comes out from behind the counter.

I bought my car from an internet sales manager who I never met in person until pickup. Of course, I was familiar with the car before I called him.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The best deals are to be had on vehicles that are on the dealers lot. Some dealerships allow you to view their inventory on-line, some don't. The on-line inventory may be a little stale as they may not update the information promptly. The best time to shop is at the end of the month. Dealerships want to make their monthly sales numbers so, if they haven't met them already, they are more motivated to deal. You want to deal with the fleet manager or internet sales manager as they have more lattitude in finalizing the deal. Prior to contacting dealers decide on what price you are willing to pay and what features (i.e. color, options etc.) you want. The more flexible you are the more likely you might find a TSX matching your features sitting on a lot. I would suggest e-mailing the internet managers of your local dealerships with a firm offer ( i.e. "I will buy the TSX with the following features ..... for $xxxxx. If you are agreable then please contact me and I will visit your dealership this afternoon to complete the deal. ") and see what happens. It worked for me but I had to drive to a dealership about $120 miles away to pick it up. Good Luck.