Bad Tranny Case - I got screwed !

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Tranny Case - I got screwed !

:ripped:
Please help guys !
gotta start a thread --- I am mad and stressing out --- Need info & advices.

This is regarding the infamous "Mandated Inspection on AT Tranny Case"

Quick facts:
1) My VIN is in the range --- Bought 6/04/2004 BEFORE the memo.
2) Called dealer (1 hr away) weeks ago when I discover #1
Service manager said they got NO record showing inspection performed on my car. BUT they have a list that identifies the cars they sold that had the wrong tranny case.
Basically she said they know exactly which cars are "bad".

So I finally looked under the hood today and what do I see ?
the RCL-1 case

So what now ? please tell.
Does just the tranny case need to be replace ? what else ?
Or does the whole tranny need to be replaced ?

I have read somewhere that the whole bang needs replacement --- No way I accept that....it's gonna be a battle...hope i keep cool head & no need to go postal.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro

well i would say its better to get the whole tranny replaced. That way your getting a whole new unit from the factory. If you only get your caseing replaced it means that the dealership service crew will have to physically open up your tranny (more room for error) and may accidently mess something else up. (read the gear slippage video post).
Old 07-27-2004, 01:17 AM
Banned

Oh, No ! No ! No !!!! :swear2:
I don't want a car partially made in NYC !
I am gonna fight like a mofo to get a whole new car like someone on this forum was offered.

But man it's a PITA, I got 2117 miles, am attached to the car, got OEM body kit.
Damn !!!!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Ohhh yeah!

Well, it ought to be a factory tranny, you can take solace in that at least. It's just put on in NYC.
If it'll make you feel better then think of it this way: if you put on any after-market parts or even get your filters changed, then it's partially made in NYC.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:36 AM
Banned

Do you know how involved the tranny replacement process is ??? cause I have no clue.

If it's like say like getting a botox, no biggie...but if it's like replacing kidney --- no f**king way !
Old 07-27-2004, 05:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The kdney would be more like an oil filter, but for the tranny replacement, it's more like replacing a hip!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:21 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sauceman
The kdney would be more like an oil filter, but for the tranny replacement, it's more like replacing a hip!

I believe the memo was out way befor you bought your car in June....It was out before I bought my car in April.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:59 AM
TSX JIGALO

thats mean man ...thats mean...
Old 07-27-2004, 08:32 AM
Quattro in.....

Robert,

What recall are you referring to? Is it from this thread http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...091#post112091

Here is a quote from the thread:

Originally Posted by Colin
Not sure if I should post this now since I cannot do this annomously, but here goes:

Certain TSXs in your new car unsold inventory, as well as vehicles in-transit to your dealership between VIN JH4CL96***C025689 and VIN JH4CL96***C028611, are affected by this Special PDI Inspection. These vehicles CANNOT be sold or leased until they have been inspected.

Please note that this does not say they MUST be replaced. It simply says they MUST be inspected. Try not to get too excited people.
It says they need to be inspected and not necessarily requires replacement. Are you having problems with your transmission or was their another update on this recall?
Old 07-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Viking
It says they need to be inspected and not necessarily requires replacement. Are you having problems with your transmission or was their another update on this recall?

YES, that's the "PDI" (what's it mean anyway ?) I talking about.
Read it twice before and I just re-read that entire thread last night before I post this one
I don't know about the others but Im f**king confused.

The point I got was this:
Dealer is to inspect the tranny case.
IF the case has the code RCL-1 ===> Need replacement (case, whole tranny whatever...)
Else if code RCL-2 ===> no action.

Viking, Yuhoo....where you got TSX ? --- me, Manhattan Acura
Old 07-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Orangeblood

The memo was way in advance of June 4, 2004. It was out back in March/April.

I think you are right to be concerned about Guido changing out your tranny there in NYC.

Since the memo had been out for several months prior to your purchase, your dealer pretty much screwed the moose.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Banned

I am not calling dealer yet because I want to record the conversation.

I want to record because last time I spoke w/ service mger about this
she said they NEVER done the mandated inspection - because they knew which cars really need care. Assured me mine was not one of the bad apples.

Now they are clearly wrong here --- not even a quick look! I am not mechanical and it took me only 10 mins to find the code. lazy bastards
so dealer:
1) Not done inspection
2) Not inform me NOTHING.
3) Gave me questionable assurance

those fuckers !

I just think it best to "build a strong case" in case things get unpleasant and denials start flying arouind.
Like I said I will try my darnest to get a new car IF the tranny needs replacement.
I dont want a car 20% made in NYC by those grease monkeys. ZERO confidence I have now with Service dept.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Banned

Anyone has idea exactly what work is required for cars with the wrong tranny case ???
Old 07-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by robert_tsxgeek
YES, that's the "PDI" (what's it mean anyway ?) I talking about.
Read it twice before and I just re-read that entire thread last night before I post this one
I don't know about the others but Im f**king confused.

The point I got was this:
Dealer is to inspect the tranny case.
IF the case has the code RCL-1 ===> Need replacement (case, whole tranny whatever...)
Else if code RCL-2 ===> no action.

Viking, Yuhoo....where you got TSX ? --- me, Manhattan Acura
Robert you might have a case here if that coding is correct about the RCL-1 and RCL-2. The quote I found said the cars CANNOT be sold or leased without inspection. If you can provide documents from Honda/Acura on this PDI including the mandatory replacement relating to the case codes, I think you have a good case here. Essentially if you bought your car in June and the PDI was issued back in March/April they should not have sold the car to you.

I haven't seen the case code stuff so I'm taking your word on that, but it seems pretty clear based on that info that Manhattan Acura screwed up.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Instructor

You bought your vehicle WAAAYYY after the Memo was sent to dealers. Most vehicles had either just arrived or were still in transit. And the Memo came out in Feb/March. Many dealers didn't even receive a vehicle that had an issue. Call the service manager and just ask if you could have it inspected for piece of mind. As far as saying you want a car built in japan not NYC then I guess you better ship your cor overseas for service. PDI stands for Pre-Delivery Inspection. The Memo basically stated that Vehicles in a range needed to inspected not neccesarily replaced.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Orangeblood

Based on what others have posted, the solution to this problem is a tranny change out. The alternative, I suppose, would be a tranny case change out, which would suck worse because it would involve disassembly of the tranny itself.

The prior posts, and logic, tell you that a tranny changeout involves dropping out the front end entirely, including steering and suspension gear, and may include loosing the engine from its mounts. It is a very involved change out with a lot of potential for error. A previous poster could not get his alignment back, I believe (Probably in that thread above).

I had a 5AT caught by this hold and wondered if I wanted one after the "repair." Instead of pondering that, I went for the 6MT.

I think you can get what you want. If they do the change out, make clear that you are not 100% happy with that and will be watching for problems like a hawk. When first one arises, demand replacement.

Or, cut through red tape, they hosed you, you want new car and all ur AM chit reinstalled on new one.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stevens24
You bought your vehicle WAAAYYY after the Memo was sent to dealers. Most vehicles had either just arrived or were still in transit. And the Memo came out in Feb/March. Many dealers didn't even receive a vehicle that had an issue.....

Sorry I don't quite catch your flow above....please elaborate a bit.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Orangeblood

Sorry I don't quite catch your flow above....please elaborate a bit.
The memo is dated March 31, 2004, I believe. It was a long time ago. It applied mostly to cars that were in-transit or sitting on dealer lots. Very few were "recalled," apparently (AHM got to avoid calling this a recall).

In other words, your dealer screwed the moose by letting your car out w/o inspection and remedial work.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
You all suck.

Sorry to hear but I have actually been through the process you are about to undertake with my 5AT that was also within the VIN range.

RCL1 is the WRONG case, which COULD lead to leaking and tranny damage. The Stop Sell notice was dated March 26th, 2004 and was sent to all dealers on the same day by Acura's Corp office.

The dealer is at fault for not adhering to Acura's Corporate Stop Sell, however, in all likelyhood they will simply say there are no signs of damage and will just replace the housing and seal.

If it was caught before being driven then there would be no damage, and the dealer could continue to sell the car as new. Seeing as how they"missed" your VIN, I would probably ask for: new tranny, refund of the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) as it clearly was not done, or whatever value you deem is appropriate for your time and inconvenience.

I'd also let your local Business Bureau be aware of what has transpired as they might have suggestions for you.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Banned

Return Period

How long is the return-period anyway ? 3 months or something ?
I remember dealer telling "if you're not satisfied......you have X days/months to return the vehicle..."
Old 07-27-2004, 02:40 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everyone else, you definitely have a really good case against your dealership. I would be very cautious to what is going to happen to your car because I really do not trust the mechanics at these dealerships. Definitely get American Honda involved because you know that your dealer is not going to agree to give you a new car without having to. Maybe BBB too!

I have had 3 separate occassions that I had to go in for work because the mechanics are not trained well and rush everything which leads to them screwing things up. Granted my repairs were cosmetic (scratches and mis-alignment) but they were still done because the mechanics suck and don't care. :sqntfawk: I am afraid to let these mechanics touch anything in the engine at this point. Luckily I found a dealer that SEEMS pretty good right now, but as you expected it comes at a much higher price than the previous dealer.

BTW, I purchased my TSX at Monteclaire Acura in Verona NJ. Sales is great, but service sucks! Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TdotSSTSX
Sorry to hear but I have actually been through the process you are about to undertake with my 5AT that was also within the VIN range.
RCL1 is the WRONG case, which COULD lead to leaking and tranny damage. The Stop Sell notice was dated March 26th, 2004 and was sent to all dealers on the same day by Acura's Corp office.
thanks I read your posts.

OK, spoke with service manager:
She told me that EVEN if VIN in the range, and code is RCL-1 --- that does NOT automatically mean any repair/replacement action is required. She want me to bring in so they have a (fucking belated ! ) lookover

TdotSSTSX:
Let's see you bought/got the car just round the time-frame of the bulletin (mid 04/2004)
So it was your dealer that did the tranny replacement, Correct ?
Im curious...did you resist it...i mean accepting a "partiially made-in-Toronto" car ?
Were you OK with that ? Did you try to get them to give ya another car ?
Old 07-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
I agree with everyone else, you definitely have a really good case against your dealership
dude...your TSX and mine are close brothers ! probly born on the day !
yours -- #26592
mine -- #26529

born & pucked up the same day... :shit:

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Getting Honda involved --- how to get started on this ???
Old 07-27-2004, 02:52 PM
DGH
What, me worry?

Originally Posted by yuhoo22
Definitely get American Honda involved ......
Ditto.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Racer

i got my car at Jan 04. Vin # is 8036**. Is a canadian model. do we share the problem as the State model?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Banned

Yes....I am not sure what VIN range is for Canadieh TSX....where is Dan when you need him ?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Racer

dan is a on a road trip.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:38 PM
You all suck.

A car in Canada purchased in January would not have the problem.

Robert - The reason I know is because the day I bought my car, was the day of the Stop Sell, and the dealer did not know yet, and promised me the car in 48 hours. Because the car was never driven, I didn't care that the housing was replaced. But I did NOT pay for the PDI as it took them until April 15th to get the parts from Japan and deliver my car to me. They were good about it, and gave me a loaner from April 1st - 15th as I had to return a company car at that time, hence, purchasing the TSX before March was over.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Racer

i c. thanx Tdot.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Cruisin'

I started a thread on this about 3 weeks ago. I had about 4k miles on my car and had to have the tranny replaced. If you have to have this done they will swap out the whole thing. My service department said they dont even inspect the old tranny, they just send it back to honda and put a whole new one in.

Yes it does require a lot of work to remove the old and put a new transmission on. Does this mean it is impossible to do correctly? Not at all. It will be pretty obvious if you get your car back and they have not put together the front end properly. In the instance of the guy who got the new car his tires were pointing towards eachother after a major malfunction caused by the dealer who replaced his transmission.

I have had my car back for about 3 weeks now and everything seems perfect. Does that mean it will stay that way? I guess I wont know until something happens. Your case involves the dealer not doing their job. However if it comes to getting a new transmission it is not worth stressing over and fighting for a new car. The car has a warranty for a reason and you have about 4 years to see if something else breaks because of the tranny swap, if it comes to that.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Banned

thanks poway1 !

>> said they dont even inspect the old tranny, they just send it back to honda and put a whole new one in.

Maybe because it's billable to Honda ? My understanding is that dealers LOVE warranty works.
So they just went ahead with the work ? Did they ask you or give you a chance to say something before they gut your car ?
That blows.....I am gonna make sure they fucking have a good look over & give me the diagnosis...
and if a new tranny is required - i am gonna fight tooth & nail --- they can do whatever with the car --- to get a new car. f**k that !

I ain't paying 28K for a car tweaked by buncha dealer greasemonkeys & loose sleep over it.

---------------------------

OK, I found your thread about the tranny replacement.
Looks like the best choice for ya was getting the new tranny.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Cruisin'

What was the outcome of your transmission issue?

I am very curious.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Uhh... gee, I think he's gone. We kinda made fun of him when he multiplied his identity, and it looks like he took it the wrong way, so he just left.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

sorry guess I missed that one.