Bad Time to Buy a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bad Time to Buy a TSX

Is now a bad time to buy a TSX? I have not had good luck finding cars and when I do find them the dealers are not willing to part with what they have at a decent prices. Combining the train wreck, the auto transmission issues and just anecdotal evidence, I am starting to think that I put the purchase off for a few weeks/months. Is this a legitimate point or am I just getting disenchanted with trying to buy one of the most sought after cars.

FYI - The Wall St Journal listed the the TSX as on of its hottest cars on the market. It stated that the cars stay on the lot for approximately 2 weeks (cant recall exact number). The hottest car based on that stat is the Toyota Prius....
Old 04-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Racer

That's crazy, I found exactly what I wanted at the first dealership I looked at and got $500 off MSRP. I didn't realize they were so difficult to get ahold of.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
such a dirty birdy

That's like asking if now is a bad time for sex. If you have to ask, you don't want it bad enough. :P
Old 04-11-2004, 09:29 PM
Racer

sometimes it's worth it to wait. I mean look at how much the revamped thunderbirds were selling for when they were first released. They can't give the damn things away now.

Think 350Z's and S2000's, People got ROBBED on those cars in the first couple of months they were out. That said, if you pay MSRP or under, I wouldn't feel too bad about the purchase. It's still a bargain at that price.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Lost In Transmission

I agree that it is hard to get exactly what you want - then again, I figure the car I want is .15% of the TSX's made (CG/Ebony/Man/Navi) (.3 x .5 x .1 x .1) that is going by the numbers 30% TSX's CG, 50% of those are ebony, 10% of those are manual, and 10% of those have Navi) that means if they make 25,000 cars this year, that means 37.5 of them will be the exact car I want - so yes, it can be hard to find what you want - unless you want to order it.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Racer

Heh, not to rub it in your face but that's exactly my car! Wow, I'm amazed the numbers for that model are so low. I just lucked out walking onto the lot and them having one sitting there waiting for me. Strangely, the one in the showroom was SSM auto no-nav.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Lost In Transmission

if by rubbing it in, you mean that large chunk of salt in my flesh wound - than yes. and it hurts.

what makes it worse - they had the car an hour a way, but i was a day late. i found it 11 hours away... trying to work out the logistics before i have to depart with my current car (end of the month)

i have dibs on the same car/non-navi - but i think the navi is worth it. id rather not spend the next 5 years looking at the CD changer wishing i would have got the NAVI

do you think its worth it?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Racer

Yes, but the Navi is a mixed bag. I use it a lot, but it's not the replacement for mapquest I was hoping it would be. Sometimes it gives poor directions, like taking you well out of your way and backtracking. In metropolitan areas the maps seem to be better updated and more roads are covered and in these places it's simply outstanding. I now am living in a smaller town and the roads shown on the map are spotty. definitely it could be better.

Overall, I'm relatively satisfied with the Navi, and the voice functions are cool, but personally I seldom use them apart from one or two. I find it easier to just press the buttons most of the time. If you travel a lot or live in a metropolitan area, the Navi will be extremely useful and you'll be amazed with it. If not it will still be useful, if flawed.

The color combinations you picked are, IMO the best two offered, though I also like Nighthawk Black a lot. The ebony interior is stunning, but dust is very visible. Carbon grey is a beautiful color, but needs a lot of maintenance to look pristine. If you're not the type to wash/wax regularly and polish semi-regularly, you'd be better served getting a lighter color. It will just stand up better to a low maintenance owner.

IMO, it's worth it to go the extra mile to get the exact car you want. I went 6 months looking for a G35 Coupe in the exact configuration I wanted, and never was able to find it. Then I started looking at other cars and fell in love with the TSX, esp for the price. I haven't looked back since, and am incredibly happy with my decision
Old 04-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Master in Science

Originally posted by freudy
i have dibs on the same car/non-navi - but i think the navi is worth it. id rather not spend the next 5 years looking at the CD changer wishing i would have got the NAVI

do you think its worth it?
YES! It's worth it! I love the navigation system in my car. Even if I'm not using the feature, the touch-screen controls half the car, and it's much easier to touch the 8" screen (or talk) then to stretch out and look for the right button to press to adjust the air, etc.

I love that feature, and everyone that gets in my car is always in awe. On trips, it's a must-have.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:01 AM
6MT Snob

Springtime is when dealers start to pick up from the winter doldrums.. I picked up mine in Feburary where the guy who sold me the car had sold 5 cars the ENTIRE month of january and now is having problems keeping up with his sales.. So that being said maybe it is a bad time. But what you need to do is shop dealers... The problem comes down to credit.. if you're buying a car cash you can walk in with a check for the amount of the car maybe a few hundred over invoice and be like, listen you want this check lets work together and chances are you will get the car you want because its SOOO much easier for them when its cash. But when its credit, and then a dealer will rope you in with a good APR or whatever and string you a long promising cars they cant deliever because of kicks backs from honda finance etc. Just my opinion however..
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Powered by Hondanium

do you think its worth it? [/B]
After 2 weeks, I'm saying the navi is worth it, we'll see if that holds up for the life of the car.

When I looked at the TSX at first I was thinking non-navi, it seemed a bit silly to spend $2000 for a map book. But my girlfriend is originally from Manhattan and is just learning how to drive. For me, I felt a lot better knowing that she'd be able to find her way home from just about anywhere, so we ended up getting it. Now I'm finding uses for it pretty regularly... a friend is in a band that is always playing gigs in random bars in the middle of nowhere, it's way easier to get food on the way home (phone numbers to any restaurant, just call and place a take-out order), the navi has found a whole bunch of great short-cuts for me to avoid Boston's nightmare traffic. Overall it has just given me a much better feel for the area... and I've lived here all my life.

Besides it does have the wow factor.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by freudy
I agree that it is hard to get exactly what you want - then again, I figure the car I want is .15% of the TSX's made (CG/Ebony/Man/Navi) (.3 x .5 x .1 x .1) that is going by the numbers 30% TSX's CG, 50% of those are ebony, 10% of those are manual, and 10% of those have Navi) that means if they make 25,000 cars this year, that means 37.5 of them will be the exact car I want - so yes, it can be hard to find what you want - unless you want to order it.
I did the same type of math you did last year (when I bought), and it does boggle the mind to realize I have one of about 80 cars manufactured last year. Pretty cool!
Old 04-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Registered AssHat

Wow. Back in April '03 maybe I was just ahead of the game. I test drove one on the lot, liked it, ordered one on the boat for MSRP and 2 weeks later it was mine.

And I've been enjoying it ever since (although I still have buyers remorse with my rims).
Old 04-12-2004, 02:37 PM
6MT Snob

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Wow. Back in April '03 maybe I was just ahead of the game. I test drove one on the lot, liked it, ordered one on the boat for MSRP and 2 weeks later it was mine.

And I've been enjoying it ever since (although I still have buyers remorse with my rims).
Meaning you bought rims you dont like or you wish you upgraded to the alt acura rims?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Racer

Haha, I can understand that the Volk TE37's are pretty pricey, very nice rims though.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Lost In Transmission

Originally posted by Jason
I did the same type of math you did last year (when I bought), and it does boggle the mind to realize I have one of about 80 cars manufactured last year. Pretty cool!
Do you like your Quartz int? I'm not sold on it... I just don't like that color change between the Quartz and the trim, and then the black - but I haven't seen too many pictures. There are two CG/Quartz/Man/Navi available in the region, so I could go that road if I choose, but I'm kind of set on the ebony...
Old 04-13-2004, 07:57 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't say its a bad time, but it definitely is harder in the Northeast with the train derailment. I did get one of the "harder colors to get" just this weekend with the Nav, so its possible you just have to do more work.

They are out there if you really want it.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Lost In Transmission

Originally posted by yuhoo22
I wouldn't say its a bad time, but it definitely is harder in the Northeast with the train derailment. I did get one of the "harder colors to get" just this weekend with the Nav, so its possible you just have to do more work.

They are out there if you really want it.
If you want an automatic, sure - they are definately available. I went to 60+ Acura sites to check inventory, called over 20 dealers, and there are 0 CG/Ebony/Man/Navi's available within 20 hours drive of Ohio.

If i wanted an auto - I could have one today.

Most of the dealers wanted to haggle on price before they found my car. It got the point that I would say 'find me the car, and I'll pay $500 under MSRP' - and they still can't find me one.

Edit - I saw you were from NYC and visited 15 or so sites - 3 of them have CG/Ebony/Nav - and I sent emails to see if they have manuals... that would be a fun drive back to Ohio...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:53 AM