Back-Up Camera With Direction Guide Grid...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back-Up Camera With Direction Guide Grid...

I was recently in search of a camera for my 05 TSX when i came across a link i found a camera that has a guide grid. i was wondering if anyone on AZ has one or has heard anything about them...
Take a look at the link:
http://www.pinecomputer.com/sq309invebau.html
Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The guided grid feature seems nice. Gives you a feel for the distance. Do you have a Navi to hook it to? If so, you just have to run the cable to the Navi disc box in your trunk. Easy to do. That seems like a good price too
Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Mod, How would it work, Would it automatically come on once I put my car on reverse upon connecting it to my NAVI box in the trunk???
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Nice find! I've been looking for something like this as well. Does the grid angle when you turn your wheels? If you've seen the new G35 reverse screen...you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Would this work if I just hooked it up to my Avic D3?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
There's another expensive one that I have seen zero reviews about. Sanyo has one that actually constructs a composite image of the view above your car as well as a view which has digital guides. It even digitally corrects the fisheye effect of a wideangle lens. If I had the funds, I'd go with this one. But I settled for a wendy cam at less than half the price.

http://us.sanyo.com/entertainment/mo...productID=1507
Old 04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by street277
I was recently in search of a camera for my 05 TSX when i came across a link i found a camera that has a guide grid. i was wondering if anyone on AZ has one or has heard anything about them...
Take a look at the link:
http://www.pinecomputer.com/sq309invebau.html

The camera description says it's 2" x 1". To me that's freaking huge. The typical pioneer or kenwood ones are just 1" x 1" You should reconsider.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
The guided grid feature seems nice. Gives you a feel for the distance. Do you have a Navi to hook it to? If so, you just have to run the cable to the Navi disc box in your trunk. Easy to do. That seems like a good price too

im looking to buy the dom's kit. so i can hook it up to my stock nav.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Destrejc
Nice Mod, How would it work, Would it automatically come on once I put my car on reverse upon connecting it to my NAVI box in the trunk???
with dom's kit reverse cam will switch on automatically when car is put in reverse and all you would need to do is plug the camera into the dom's unit.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
Nice find! I've been looking for something like this as well. Does the grid angle when you turn your wheels? If you've seen the new G35 reverse screen...you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Would this work if I just hooked it up to my Avic D3?
yea i dont think it would be quite as nice as the g35 factory cam because it does not angle... but this should still give a good feel of distance. and it should work with any monitor as long as its composite video input i assume.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by malnik
The camera description says it's 2" x 1". To me that's freaking huge. The typical pioneer or kenwood ones are just 1" x 1" You should reconsider.
ya it is kinda big but ill do some more research before i buy... im kinda liking the thought of the grid on screen... that is kind of a selling point...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
There's another expensive one that I have seen zero reviews about. Sanyo has one that actually constructs a composite image of the view above your car as well as a view which has digital guides. It even digitally corrects the fisheye effect of a wideangle lens. If I had the funds, I'd go with this one. But I settled for a wendy cam at less than half the price.

http://us.sanyo.com/entertainment/mo...productID=1507
Where are the reviews for the sanyo one? I tried googling, and I just got sites where I can enter a review. The site doesn't even mention about composite images above the car or digital guides.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Where are the reviews for the sanyo one? I tried googling, and I just got sites where I can enter a review. The site doesn't even mention about composite images above the car or digital guides.
That's what I mean. I haven't found a single one. It's probably because the cam is expensive and few people want to buy one for that much. Crutchfield has a link to the user manual which shows the features. It looks pretty awesome, but you have to mount and route a separate processing box with a push button to switch through the different viewing modes. It wouldn't be difficult with a little effort though. Here's a link to the instruction manual/features:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Man...140CCABC20.PDF
Old 04-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Instructor

wow that Sanyo one is nice. I wish there was a way to integrate the mode switching button into my D3 though . I guess I could find the view I liked best and just leave it in that mode.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Instructor

I'm just throwing this out there, but when I went to China, if you slow down to less than 10 mph, they have a front bumper camera to see the curb in front and two side cameras to see the two front corners. Pretty cool.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by VietNinjaJ30A1
wow that Sanyo one is nice. I wish there was a way to integrate the mode switching button into my D3 though . I guess I could find the view I liked best and just leave it in that mode.
I read through the manual, and unfortunately it always reverts back to a particular mode once the car has been shut off. It's the digitally corrected (no fisheye) mode, so that's alright. But it does stay in your preselected image mode as long as you don't shut the car off. So if you start up reversing out of your parking spot for the day, you can select say the aircam mode. Then when you get to your destination and need to parallel park, when you go in reverse the image will still be the aircam mode. But once you leave your car and shut it off, the next time you startup and go in reverse the camera will revert to the digitally corrected view.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

I researched the "Square Eye 309". It seems several suppliers each describe it diferently. Some say it's a 1/3 inch CMOS camera. Others a 1/4 inch CCD. I really suspect the former due ti it's price.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by eo11
i researched the "square eye 309". It seems several suppliers each describe it diferently. Some say it's a 1/3 inch cmos camera. Others a 1/4 inch ccd. I really suspect the former due ti it's price.
cmos= stay away!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Intermediate

Follow up on Square Eye 309

I bought the Square Eye 309.
I had e-mailed the supplier (Pinecomputer), and they assured me it was a CCD camera.
On arrival, the manufacturer's literature specified that it was, in fact, CMOS.

However the manufacturer (OmniVision) asserts this new generation of CMOS rivals CCD

I installed it according to the instructions at the start of this thread. The instructions were perfect.

It worked reasonably.

As you see the colors are a little washed out, and the resolution is not high; but still the image is acceptable. The view at night extends back 30 feet, under backup light illumination.

However, I washed the car with my low pressure home garden hose and water went inside; rendering the view totally obscured until 16 hours later after drying out.

It has worked fine ever since.

I did further research, and discovered that even the expensive brand name cameras like the Kenwood CCD2000, Panasonic CY-RC50KU, and Sanyo CCA-BC200 all warn the user not to expose the camera to car wash pressure spray. So I guess I cant complain too much.

I went around all seams, and lens edges, etc. with silicone sealer,in hopes to relieve this problem; but will probably put a condom over the camera before washing the car.

All in all, for a $70.00 camera, I'm not totally disappointed.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by eo11
I bought the Square Eye 309.
I had e-mailed the supplier (Pinecomputer), and they assured me it was a CCD camera.
On arrival, the manufacturer's literature specified that it was, in fact, CMOS.

However the manufacturer (OmniVision) asserts this new generation of CMOS rivals CCD

I installed it according to the instructions at the start of this thread. The instructions were perfect.

It worked reasonably.

As you see the colors are a little washed out, and the resolution is not high; but still the image is acceptable. The view at night extends back 30 feet, under backup light illumination.

However, I washed the car with my low pressure home garden hose and water went inside; rendering the view totally obscured until 16 hours later after drying out.

It has worked fine ever since.

I did further research, and discovered that even the expensive brand name cameras like the Kenwood CCD2000, Panasonic CY-RC50KU, and Sanyo CCA-BC200 all warn the user not to expose the camera to car wash pressure spray. So I guess I cant complain too much.

I went around all seams, and lens edges, etc. with silicone sealer,in hopes to relieve this problem; but will probably put a condom over the camera before washing the car.

All in all, for a $70.00 camera, I'm not totally disappointed.
how were you able to wire it to the stock navi unit? i have an 04 tsx. is it possible for me to do the same thing with my car? Also, it won't have any problems later on right? like if it messes up the entire navi system or something?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

I've read in this post that only 2006 and up have the socket for the simple addition of the backup camera. @005 and before, you may need the "Dom unit" which costs $225.00.
No it doesn't screw anything up