Back to Acura!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:03 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Back to Acura!

Hi everyone,
I used to be a frequent visitor to the RDX forum. I was an early adopter with the 2007 and loved her to bits.
FFWD to current. After a couple Accord coupes for my son (both hit by someone and totaled), we have him in a White 2004 TSX with 146K. Fairly decent shape. No leaks or groans... yet. The 2nd owner had her from 31K to the current 146K and I don't think they EVER changed the air filter. I have never seen so much crap in an air filter in all my life. So I replaced that puppy on day one with a K&N drop in. Later the next day driving with my son, we noticed the air didn't really blow too hard. The light bulb went off in my head and I emptied out the glove box...pulled open the cabin air filter holder and I was right - OMG it was like a pound of fine dirt and it too had never been changed in its life. Put a new charcoal one in and now it blows nice and hard!

Now on to her issues. I will be doing a LOT of reading here.

Navigation. It does not work. I get the Acura symbol sometimes but that's it. Bummer is that it also controls the AC. I have read a little and understand there may be a 'clean the dang lens' solution. Fingers crossed.

Key... Only one and you need to jiggle it ever so slightly for it to unlock and turn the ignition. It looks very worn down so I need to get on it with a new key.

Door lock actuators. DAMN! I had just changed one in the Accord a year ago, but just before it was totaled, it stopped working again. What the hell is with it with Honda and these door lock actuators??

Need to change those plugs too. I am sure without a doubt that they are also original.

Looking forward to getting these things up to date!
Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
146K on a 2004? Nice find.

If the previous owner didn't replace the air filter(s), I'd be worried about the fluids. Change them all. Better safe than sorry.
The following users liked this post:
XIS (07-26-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. My girlfriend recently got on "08, and we love it.

I had issues with the DVD drive in my RDX's nav system last summer. Unfortunately, these Alpine made drives are somewhat trouble prone.

I read everything I could on the issue and was able to fix it myself (and for a fraction of what Acura would have charged).

Here's the thread I made https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...-error-933293/

Maybe that will help you.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Originally Posted by green_henry
146K on a 2004? Nice find.

If the previous owner didn't replace the air filter(s), I'd be worried about the fluids. Change them all. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks. All stock too so I am happy about that. Looks like it has a new ac compressor power steering pump and alternator and they are all OEM too (yay) just put in some mobile one today and talked off the fluids. Tranny fluid looks okay but I'll probably change that soon anyway along with some brakes.
Has a little tear on the side bolster of the front seat and a couple minor dings but no wrecks but all in all a pretty wonderful steal.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:55 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Congratulations on the purchase. My girlfriend recently got on "08, and we love it.

I had issues with the DVD drive in my RDX's nav system last summer. Unfortunately, these Alpine made drives are somewhat trouble prone.

I read everything I could on the issue and was able to fix it myself (and for a fraction of what Acura would have charged).

Here's the thread I made https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...-error-933293/

Maybe that will help you.
Thank you very much. I read all of that twice and took it apart and tried to clean it with a Q-tip. I thought I got it but evidently I didn't because when I put it back together it still doesn't work. I need to take it apart and do it again with something longer and skinnier and then wrap a Windex Wipe on it.
Was your fix just cleaning it? By the way I miss my RDX badly. I put Hondata in it and it screamed!!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by XIS
Thank you very much. I read all of that twice and took it apart and tried to clean it with a Q-tip. I thought I got it but evidently I didn't because when I put it back together it still doesn't work. I need to take it apart and do it again with something longer and skinnier and then wrap a Windex Wipe on it.
Was your fix just cleaning it? By the way I miss my RDX badly. I put Hondata in it and it screamed!!
Cleaning wasn't enough.

I ended up replacing the drive mechanism in the DVD player. No the entire DVD unit, just the mechanism (platter, laser, motor).

I ordered it from Aliexpress for around $50.

Here is an example;

Alpine DVD loader DV33M32A DV35M110 DV35M01A DP33M21A DP33M220 For Odyssey RNS E Mercedes Infiniti VW car dvd navigation-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Again, that may not be the correct drive for your player.

In fact, that may not be your problem at all. I'd say it's still worth a try considering how cheaply you should be able to get a drive (assuming a good cleaning doesn't do it). Acura would charge thousands (no exaggeration) to replace the drive.......
The following users liked this post:
XIS (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:14 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Thanks again. I took it apart AGAIN - used compressed air and then a toothpick with a windex wipe. All of a sudden, I now get the navigation unlock screen where you enter the 6 digit code. BUT the little toggle thingy doesn't allow me to scroll through the keypad and I guess this isn't a touch-screen either...then after 30 seconds or so, it goes back to the ACURA NAVIGATION splash screen and tries to re-start itself every 30 seconds again.

I was able to stick a siphon pump tube down the ATF dipstick hole and sucked out a quart to see what she looked like and OH MY - it was black as old oil. I will be siphoning out the rest as soon as I get some more fluid from the dealer.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:42 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Here she is - before and after the wheel change and lowering.. Glad he removed those shocks from the Accord before they towed it away!

Attached Thumbnails Back to Acura!-img_1169.jpg   Back to Acura!-img_1170.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 07:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by XIS
Thanks again. I took it apart AGAIN - used compressed air and then a toothpick with a windex wipe. All of a sudden, I now get the navigation unlock screen where you enter the 6 digit code. BUT the little toggle thingy doesn't allow me to scroll through the keypad and I guess this isn't a touch-screen either...then after 30 seconds or so, it goes back to the ACURA NAVIGATION splash screen and tries to re-start itself every 30 seconds again.

I was able to stick a siphon pump tube down the ATF dipstick hole and sucked out a quart to see what she looked like and OH MY - it was black as old oil. I will be siphoning out the rest as soon as I get some more fluid from the dealer.
I thought all TSX's were touch screen. May still be an issue with the drive.

One drain and fill won't get all the old fluid out of the transmission. I'm currently in the process of doing 3x drains/fills (with about 100 miles of driving in between) in my RDX. I purchased a case of fluid on Amazon.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:16 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Well I searched a handful of Honda/Acura salvage yards and managed to find a 2004 TSX navigation for $150 with a 6 month warranty!!! Score! I will let you know how it goes when it comes in later this week... I will install that puppy right there in the parking lot and if it doesn't work, I will just march back in there and get my refund and then go through Alpine.

Wish me luck!
Old 09-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car looks nice.. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get her for? Did you search patiently online and found the one you liked?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 AM
XIS
Lizard King

I searched for a week or so and talked them down to $5100. I think it is easily worth $1k or more than that, specially after the coil-overs and HFP wheels.
I have already fixed the key issue - super cheap to get one off ebay and go to the locksmith. It cost be about $60 total for cut and program and a spare.
The navigation issue is still there. Salvage yard unit didn't work either so I got a refund. I will keep trying.
I have two door lock actuators on the way from the dealer. Just $60 total also.
She is looking and driving nice. Here she is next to my other son's SI.

Name:  IMG_1491.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  204.5 KB