Autotrader.com gives you dealer INVOICE price. Is it good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 03:23 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autotrader.com gives you dealer INVOICE price. Is it good?

Was doing some research cuz I'm about to buy my TSX and wanted to get a good deal. Anyway, Autotrader.com will give you dealer invoice pricing when you search for a new vehicle. Does anyone know how close those numbers are to actual. If so, is it a good bargaining point to let's say.... auto with navi costs the dealer about $26,500 and retail is $29,000, (both including destination) then meeting half way would be fair to both dealer and purchaser at $27,700? Sales people and dealers need to make money too, but don't need to rip us off, that and I really don't think anyone will be able to get invoice price anyway. Your thoughts on this invoice pricing's accuracy, and experiences on dealing down to invoice or what is a good compromise.....

Interesting note, most cars* have a retail of around $3,000 above invoice, but the IS300 is more than $4,000.

*Cars that are comparable to the TSX that is.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

I hope you get a great deal, but in my TSX shopping experience I have run into a brick wall of paying MSRP. It's supply and demand and the dealers around me (Chicago) have all told me that they are selling the TSX for sticker price. I'm a little disappointed by it, but I can live with that. Even a 'G' off the sticker isn't that much when you consider the price of the car. And hey, my second choice to the TSX is the G35 and I'de have to spend another $7,000 to get it the way I'd want it. So it's all about perspective. Having read a lot of people on the board it seems normal to get between $500-$1000 off invoice. I don't know any salesmen or have a relataionship with any managers which hurts my cause. But who knows how much of a 'deal' people are getting since this board is anonymous and every body wants to feel special.

I bet if you're a really patient person, and a little flexible with color combinations you could get a solid deal. Try to get a quote of the internet and let your local dealers bid for you. But then you either need to be flexible with your colors or wait to build one.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Racer

Dealers aren't going to negotiate the TSX based on invoice. The car is too popular for that. You're going to have to resort to playing dealers off each other and then wait until the end of the month or even better end of the quarter to make your offer. The average seems to be $500 - $1000 off. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I've heard the same things and I've already got a quote for $500 off MSRP but one of the guys here lives in/near Houston and he "said" he got $1700+ off his at a paricular dealership so that's the one I'm going to. I've already told the interenet manager that unless he can give me more than $1000 off then don't even email me. He's been emailing me everyday. Hey, even if he only gives me a $500 off, I still consider it a good deal. Man I can't wait to get one.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:18 AM
Instructor

Try mycar.com to see the dealers duke it out for you. I want to try this as well. Just waiting to get my loan.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by elbodude
Try mycar.com to see the dealers duke it out for you. I want to try this as well. Just waiting to get my loan.
you should give www.carsdirect.com a try as well
Old 08-29-2003, 03:22 PM
Instructor

It's all about supply and demand. The TSX is not a mass produced car - only a limited number of units are produced this year and therefore, the dealers don't need to discount the car off the sticker price. If you don't buy it, someone else will pay MSRP.

Usually you should offer about $400 above invoice - that' s a good deal for you and the dealer. If the dealer doesn't want your business at that price, go somewhere else... somebody else will be happy to make $400 above invoice. Again supply and demand played the other way around.

Of course, like I said above, that technique does NOT work on a very hot car like the TSX or the upcoming TL. You can deal the Accord that way because last time I checked, dealers have plenty on their lots! Let the game begin!