Automatic Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was 20* last nite driving down the GSP in Jersey. Auto on 74*, window was clear as a bell, but mindful of the manual's instruction to run the AC for 10" couple times over winter to keep something lubed, I hit the defogger button and ran it for those ten, because according the the APM, Dan, this simple act runs the AC and fulfills the manual recommendation. Temperature read-out still said 74 and Auto, and the feeling inside the car did not seem to change during this period. It is all a little confusing, but I'm taking his word for it, because I know no better. ( Now I think about it, I don't know if the 'Auto' part stayed on or not, after hitting defogger).
Old 02-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
its auto climate control, this isnt anything new. you set it to the temp and it will turn the ac on or off or high or low to keep the cabin at the temp you want. theres not really much more to understand... if your worried about the compressor going on or off or being too high or low, then just put in in manual mode and brush your shoulders off
See quote above... if you have the auto off and the a/c off, then the temp is being regulated the same as in any car. you set it to the temperature, and it will just control the temp best it can. obviously if it is 95 degrees outside, and you have the the ac off and temp set to 60 degrees, its not going to feel like 60 degrees in your car... itll make the air as cold as it can but only as cold as it is able to blow from the fan and outside air. if you put the ac on, itll run the compressor non stop and cool the air blowing at you to 60 degrees, or as best it can. if you put it on auto which it should just stay on anyway, it will blow a mix of air both with the compressor cycling on and off as it determines, to maintain that temperature and keep the humidity out. in the winter, if you set it to 75 or 80 degrees and its -10 outside, it will still cycle the compressor on and off because climate control does not ONLY mean to regulate the air, it also means that it regulates the CLIMATE (humidity) and the only way to reach the temp you want and have it truely maintain that temp, is to use the compressor to remove humidity. if you put it to 80, and had auto turned off, then it would just blow air at you thats 80 degrees non stop (no humidity being removed because chances are youll have the a/c off in temps that low). youll notice if you set the temp to 80 and put the fan on 4, you will feel like your in africa on a hot day, but if you put it on 80 and set it to auto, it will feel comfortable 80 degrees because its being balanced at that temp by cycling the ac on and off etc. everyone is really looking WAY to into the concept of how auto hvac works... no offense.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
See quote above... if you have the auto off and the a/c off, then the temp is being regulated the same as in any car. you set it to the temperature, and it will just control the temp best it can. obviously if it is 95 degrees outside, and you have the the ac off and temp set to 60 degrees, its not going to feel like 60 degrees in your car... itll make the air as cold as it can but only as cold as it is able to blow from the fan and outside air. if you put the ac on, itll run the compressor non stop and cool the air blowing at you to 60 degrees, or as best it can. if you put it on auto which it should just stay on anyway, it will blow a mix of air both with the compressor cycling on and off as it determines, to maintain that temperature and keep the humidity out. in the winter, if you set it to 75 or 80 degrees and its -10 outside, it will still cycle the compressor on and off because climate control does not ONLY mean to regulate the air, it also means that it regulates the CLIMATE (humidity) and the only way to reach the temp you want and have it truely maintain that temp, is to use the compressor to remove humidity. if you put it to 80, and had auto turned off, then it would just blow air at you thats 80 degrees non stop (no humidity being removed because chances are youll have the a/c off in temps that low). youll notice if you set the temp to 80 and put the fan on 4, you will feel like your in africa on a hot day, but if you put it on 80 and set it to auto, it will feel comfortable 80 degrees because its being balanced at that temp by cycling the ac on and off etc. everyone is really looking WAY to into the concept of how auto hvac works... no offense.
ok yeah i know its hard to read by the way i typed, but i swear if you are patient it will make sense eventually
Old 02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Advanced

I really still want to know how to keep recirculate on with Auto. Or at least I wish they'd allow it.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Instructor

I usually keep mine at around 71.

Whenever I have a girl in the car I usually set it to 69 (subleminal messages have to work sometime ). However, anyone who drives around with the average female knows that she's going to set it to about 80 as soon as she gets in the car.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I thought running it on Auto will exercise the A/C ?

No?