Auto STart

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto STart

My loving wife recently bought me an autostart for my 06 TSX. She got me the Viper 5500, which is one from the top of the line. However , the problem I keep having is that the genious installers cannot outwit the computer on the TSX. Now my car only starts about 30% of the time with the remote, and the lights remain on whether or not the car does start. Lastly, their final braniac idea did not work either... "We'll just hide a key in the dash, that way the car will think there is a key in the ignition..." Has anyone else had similar frustrations with installing an autostart on a TSX?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:49 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

AAAAHHHH, I'm glad the chip in the key is actually doing its job - somewhat

I thought you need the chip in the key to start the ignition... so with remote starts, I guess the ignition is bypassed 30% of the time?? Makes no sense.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Car Nut

they should be using an extra key, or at least the chip from a key, to connect to the ECU, bypassing the immobilizer... it should work 0% of the time if they didn't, or 100% if they did... where did you have it installed? in my experience, the installer is very often the problem with remote starters.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Advanced

True it did not work at all without the key... however it still only works about 30% of the time with the hidden key in the dash. I have to agree that it has something to do with the installer. Either that or my version of the TSX is a distant relative of Michael Knight's very own "Kit".
Old 01-19-2007, 03:36 AM
High Five!

I installed for Best Buy for a while and installed the viper 5500 on my 01 CLS about a year ago and mine started about 30% of the time for about the first 6 months. After that it has started every time. It takes some time for the modules to adjust to the weather changes and you may need to have the turnover time adjusted.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Mic up, Cue, Dissolve 1..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Starts

Hey all, I install at Best Buy and I put a Viper 791 in my TSX. This model is $530.00 and its a remote starts with alarm which works all the time every time. I had no problems with the install. To me it sounds like the installers you brought it to do not know what they are doing. First of, regardless the year TSX you need a bypass module to put a key in under the dash in order to bypass the factory security. This is done by hiding a key in the bypass box and running a wire that wraps around the ignition (Where you put the key in to start the car.) There are a few simple problems that could be corrected in order to get it working so I will list the most common. One, open the hood and check if they put a ball bearing switch on the hood and if so, make sure it is facing at a downward angle then close hood. Two, make sure that the bypass is working properly. try to remote start the car about 10 times. It should start every time. If it does not, put the key in the ignition but don’t turn it and then remote start the car 10 times. If this works every time opposed to doing it with out the key in the ignition, that means the bypass is not installed properly and the chips signal from the key is not getting to the ignition like it needs to in order to fool the factory security. Next, make sure that they hooked up factory arm and disarm so your factory security arms and disarms when you lock and unlock the car. These wires are in the driver door and they must have taken the door off to run them there. When the car does not start, check the dash and see what happens. If all the lights light up and there is no crank that usually means the hood pin you adjusted before is not working properly. If it cranks but does not start that means that the tach wire is not programmed or the crank time must be advanced in order for it to crank longer. Look on the dash and check if the security light is on or blinking when the remote start does not start and if so, that means the bypass is not doing its job. I would bring it back ASAP because it was not installed properly; it should work every time from the start. And the comment about the bypasses warming up to the climate is bullshit... they are made to work every time as soon as it is installed or it was just not installed correctly. A very common cause for this incorrect installation is that the wire that sends the bypass signal out is not close enough to the key cylinder. Good luck and I hope you can determine what is wrong and have them fix it. If you have any questions just et me know because I install and trouble shoot problems like this all day at work.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Mic up, Cue, Dissolve 1..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yeah, the issue with the lights staying on is just somehting weird with the TSX. If you start the car with the light in th on possition, they automatically turn on but when you shut the car off with the auto start the light will stay on. All you have to do is unlock the car and then lock it again and the lights will go off. There is no easy way to get around this unless you want to leave the lights in the off position from the start. Hope that helps.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Racer

I'm betting your installer never worked with a TSX. My installer said it was the toughest car he's done so far, but my remotestart works great. Also for my model of remotestart, the chip was not needed.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced

did they go tachless? This can be the problem (especially in cold weather). If the car cranks and then prematurely shuts off when you remote start it then it's probably either a bad tach signal into the remote start unit, or it's not hooked up (hence tachless). Tachless just senses a peak in voltage, when it sees that it believes the alternator is charging and the car, in turn, must be running. Smart, but not 100% reliable.

Check the green KEY immobilizier light on the dash - if it NEVER goes out, or blinks during remote start then the immobilizier is at fault.

It could also be bad connections to the ignition wires themselves (this is less likely, but certainly possible).

Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by relik2004
oh yeah, the issue with the lights staying on is just somehting weird with the TSX. If you start the car with the light in th on possition, they automatically turn on but when you shut the car off with the auto start the light will stay on. All you have to do is unlock the car and then lock it again and the lights will go off. There is no easy way to get around this unless you want to leave the lights in the off position from the start. Hope that helps.
That rocks....great info mane
Old 01-19-2007, 12:15 PM
NA

I have a Clifford Solaris and haven't had any probs with it starting...the only thing I've noticed is sometimes it takes a couple tries to get the locks to work. But it's going to get taken apart again and that will be fixed soon
Old 01-24-2007, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

Cold Auto Start

I installed a remote starter in my 2005 Acura TSX. It is a Omega RS4-LX. I also installed an Omega keyless entry (REC-11?). I had to install an immobilizer bypass (programmable). I was using the Tach Sensor function. Everything has been working perfectly since October. On Monday, the car didn't catch on the first crank, but started on the second attempt. I had a similar problem in my Lancer, after I hooked up the tach wire and programmed it it has been fine. So, I hooked up the tach wire and programmed it. I used the blue wire (Connector e pin 24). Which wire did you use? It started fine several times and the light on the starter illuminated properly. Tuesday there was no problem. This morning, the car cranked for 8 seconds (which is preset) then stopped, it started on the second crank. Ever heard of this? I am an automotive tech for Audi, so I have a clue as to what I am doing.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Advanced

Angry still no love

So the people who are doing the install are still baffled. They sent three different techs to look at it... but nothing. They are not going "tachless" they have that hooked up, the transponder is sending a good message, there is no ball bearing under the hood. They are going to look at it one more time with three NEW techs this Friday, but I am not holding my breath. They claim to have done a TSX before with no issues but I am not really buying it. The really disappointing thing is that this is the only company that my Acura dealer reccommends. Moreover, two of the other shops will not even work on an Acura! I guess this is one of the drawbacks to living on the edge of the world. Any pointers or inside information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by relik2004
if the installer really know what he's doing you won't have that problem. all he needs to do is pulse the driver's door pin with the arm after remote start wire. that way the car thinks that you opened the door and closed it. the lights then should turn off after 20 or 30 seconds.

as for the the problem, i'm thinking it might be the tach wire, brain itself or the bypass module. it might also be that the ring for the bypass module is not place correctly on the ignition column.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JayRoam
I'm betting your installer never worked with a TSX. My installer said it was the toughest car he's done so far, but my remotestart works great. Also for my model of remotestart, the chip was not needed.
i only do installations on side and trust me TSX is not the hardest car to do. it might take a longer time compare to other Hondas and Acuras, but definitely not the hardest. maybe you installer is new????
Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 AM
2nd Gear

once again

Ok, it happened again this morning and I actually saw it. The wife was wrong with her description. The car cranks, but seems to be picking the tach signal up too soon. It stops cranking before it actually starts. I went outside, put a key in the ignition, but it still doesn't start. That rules out the immobilizer system. I hooked the tach wire up to the blue "tach" wire to the instrument cluster. Should I use an injector wire? Should I use a coil wire?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
who dat lil kid?

with the tach wire now hooked up, did you do the tach learning prcoess? if its a DEI, clifford, python, or viper, you start the car with your key then within 5 seconds, hold the valet switch down until you hear your alarm beeps. after they beep, release the valet switch and turn off the car. test your remote start now.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Instructor

bypass

I was looking into the APS998 Audiovox remote start alarm for my TSX, my concern is:

- With either a bypass box and hidden key, or an immobilizer bypass, wouldn't that theoretically mean that someone could just break into the car, do whatever they need to do to the steering column, turn the ignition and be gone with the car?

Also, before I get harassed about an Audiovox alarm, I had the Informer Series before on my RSX, worked great. Got the Viper 791XV for my SUV, and it wasn't as great as it was made out to be. I liked the Informer better. Personal preference
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Instructor

bypass

I was looking into the APS998 Audiovox remote start alarm for my TSX, my concern is:

- With either a bypass box and hidden key, or an immobilizer bypass, wouldn't that theoretically mean that someone could just break into the car, do whatever they need to do to the steering column, turn the ignition and be gone with the car?

If in fact the immobilizer bypass wouldn't leave the car vulnerable, can anyone make a recommendation as to where to get one/brand?

Also, before I get harassed about an Audiovox alarm, I had the Informer Series before on my RSX, worked great. Got the Viper 791XV for my SUV, and it wasn't as great as it was made out to be. I liked the Informer better. Personal preference
Old 02-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Canuck

You do not need to leave a key in the car. I have an Autostarter for the past year and it works fine.

You'll need 3 things.

The actual Austostarter brain
A Honda SL Module (I think mine was a HODL2)
And a Bypass module (The one I have is from http://www.bypasskits.com/ model PKH3)

My good friend who is a master installer installed it.

If I remeber right, the sequence is to have the HODL2 unluck the doors (so that the alarm is deactivated), car starts and then the car re-locks itself.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Pro

I have an MT, so remote start isn't an option for me, but I'm just curious...

Do the Driver 1 and Driver 2 settings still work properly?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Not Driving, Just Posting

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
I have an MT, so remote start isn't an option for me, but I'm just curious...

Do the Driver 1 and Driver 2 settings still work properly?
you can get a remote start in a MT, it's just not recommended because if the car is left in gear it can hop forward when it attempts to start

if you do install it on a MT you just have to bypass the clutch engagement sensor and then from there on out you can turn key start like the car was an AUTO
Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Go Flames Go!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no experience with other brands but Compustar offers a remote starter for M/T cars and I got one myself. They call it the reservation mode which is basically a procedure that you have to do before you turn off the car to make sure that the car is in neutral. If you don't do the procedure as well as if a door/trunk is opened then remote starting will not work.

This is basically how it works before turning off the engine..

1. Step on the foot brake
2. Put shifter in N
3. Remote foot from brake
4. Pull parking brake up
5. Remove key from ignition

The engine will stay running until after you close the door then it'll turn off and a key icon will show up on the remote. Btw, you do lose the memory seat functions and the remote window roll down because you will not be using the OEM remote anymore and that's where Driver 1/2 functions are. It doesn't bother me since I'm the only driver of the car and I seldom open the windows using the remote anyway.