Audi A4 1.8T Quattro vs. TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A4 1.8T Quattro vs. TSX

I currently drive an 04 A4, but am looking at switching to the TSX come fall....

Has anybody made the switch from Audi to Acura yet, and what were your thoughts?

It should also be mentioned that I have nothing but good things to say about my Audi. The reliability has been near perfect so far (after 42,000km), and I absolutely love everything about the way the car drives! The only reason I would consider making a switch is to free up some cash, not because I'm "unhappy".
Old 06-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

search audi, I believe many members have
Old 06-28-2004, 02:01 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
I'm not sure how you would free up cash but you will not be disappointed with the switch. You'll have to wait a few months before the 05s are available.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:57 AM
Holla Back Youngin

get the tsx.. it looks better, and im pretty sure performance is very similar
Old 06-28-2004, 03:30 AM
Burning Brakes

i' m not sure how you can free up some money by switching cars, but the TSX should not be a dissapointment if you are driving a 1.8T quattro and since you are in vancouver, you dont really need the AWD. It really depends what's the more important factors for you considering a car, the Audi looks better (subjective, but the A4 is a looker inside and out), has nicer materials and has that "solid" feel to it. But handling/powerwise, the tSX is prolly a little bit better.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tsex on 19s
get the tsx.. it looks better, and im pretty sure performance is very similar
i drove the A4 1.8T b4 ... ~ ~
i drove my TSX and raced with it too .. ~~
totally kicked ass ... ~~ A4 1.8T is ....................slow with stock ..
u have to chip that car .. otherwise .. it's slow .. ~
Old 06-28-2004, 06:25 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my first question for you is: Is your car modded? second is: Are you planning to mod the TSX?

I seriously considered the A4 1.8TQ before purchasing the TSX. I thought it looked great, and the build materials were top notch. Unfortunately though, I thought it was a slow car with a lot to be searched for. The reliability for one was something that I questioned, but also the resale value.

With the TSX, you won't be disappointed. Its truly is a great car with a very updated interior design. I could not be happier with my purchase, especially with the gas mileage it produces and the reliability of Honda/Acuras.

BTW, freeing up cash?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:56 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bahnstormer
The only reason I would consider making a switch is to free up some cash, not because I'm "unhappy".
How are you going to "free up some cash" trading an 04 A4 for an 05 TSX? Your A4 is only a year old (when you take the biggest bath from depreciation), and the mileage is also high (even deeper bath).

Personally, I'd have a tough time comparing these two cars because it's an apples and oranges comparison IMHO. The A4 1.8T is a heavy (especially in quattro form), very quiet cruiser. It has some pep if you leadfoot it, but the TSX will seem to be more nimble and quicker. On the other hand, the TSX has very stiff suspension -- one of the reasons it handles well -- and you will feel every wiggle in the road surface. I don't mind this around town, but it's tiring on long distances. You'll also find the engine to be generally noisier in the TSX, especially when cruising, but since it's a Honda motor, it's a pretty nice noise. (Yes, the 1.8T is not as sweet when rev'ed but it's whisper quiet on the highway).
Old 06-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by gilboman
i' m not sure how you can free up some money by switching cars, but the TSX should not be a dissapointment if you are driving a 1.8T quattro and since you are in vancouver, you dont really need the AWD. It really depends what's the more important factors for you considering a car, the Audi looks better (subjective, but the A4 is a looker inside and out), has nicer materials and has that "solid" feel to it. But handling/powerwise, the tSX is prolly a little bit better.
gilbo, stop getting soft on us

The A4 is definitely a looker... reliability scared me away though. A good car to lease IMO.

I also am in the camp that doesn't understand how you'll free up any cash
Old 06-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input,

As for "freeing up cash", selling the A4 (which is financed) and getting into a leased TSX will lower my monthly payment considerably as well as free up some liquid cash which I already have into the car. I'm starting to consider more important things like my upcoming house purchase or a ring for the GF.

I expect to take a big hit in depeciation, but fortunately the A4's have held their value surprisingly well so it shouldn't hurt me too badly.

My Audi is stock, and I expect I would keep the TSX stock as well. I know that the TSX is a better all around performer, but the only question mark for me is still the TSXs reliability. From reading the forums here, it appears as if many of you have had alot of silly problems with the car....
Old 06-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I cross shopped between the two...I went for the TSX cause I didn't want to wait for the turbo to spool up before seeing any power
Old 06-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
I cross shopped between the two...I went for the TSX cause I didn't want to wait for the turbo to spool up before seeing any power
welcome Bahnstormer...another vwdov.ca convert.

The TSX is a great car. It's much sportier than the A4.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSXforme
welcome Bahnstormer...another vwdov.ca convert.

The TSX is a great car. It's much sportier than the A4.
Ahh yes, I take it you came over from there as well?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah...I'm from there. I ocassionally lurk on that site and post responses to topics that are worth while. I enjoyed the topics you started about unions and Canadian politics. Too bad these topics end up being flame wars (start from many of the younger members). Their attempts at any educated response show their age. It's very, very different here. A welcome change and we hope you hang around.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSXforme
Yeah...I'm from there. I ocassionally lurk on that site and post responses to topics that are worth while. I enjoyed the topics you started about unions and Canadian politics. Too bad these topics end up being flame wars (start from many of the younger members). Their attempts at any educated response show their age. It's very, very different here. A welcome change and we hope you hang around.
Ya, unfortunately VWdov has suffered a serious shift in user demographics since its inception....and not for the better.

After lurking around here for a short while, I can definitely see the quality of content is much better and I hope to stick around! Hopefully this place doesn't suffer the same fate of the DOV.... :'(

What was your username on there?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

my user name is DVS8 on the other site. I still drive the ol' vw but hopefully not for much longer. I'm going to pick one up within the next couple of months.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:36 AM
Racer

I just ditched my A4 for a tsx. well, havent gotten it yet, but tomorrow, if the price is right.
I loved my A4, it wasnt quattro, i live in SoCal, dont need 4 wheel drive. i had suspensions and chip, makes the a4 a lot more faster and gives such a better handling. Thing about german cars, the maintanance will burn a hold in your wallet when you get past 60k miles. so i let go of my audi and going to buy a tsx.
the tsx is nice, the suspension is nice, but alittle soft. power, could be better, but my audi was chipped with exhaust (so i had abotu 220 to 230 hp and about 250 torque) so had good amount of power. the car is very smooth. but untill i really get into the car, i wont be able to give a full comparison.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Racer

Do a search for audi and you will be rewarded with many good threads on this.

I've posted about this before, but here it kinda goes again...

I have a TSX and an '01 S4. Sure the S4 is much faster, but the TSX is more fun to drive because of better chassis dynamics despite the lack of AWD, better steering feel, and superior shifting 6-speed gearbox. On a nice sunny day, I choose the TSX to go for errands and crap. The S4 only makes it out of the garage for foul weather and whenever I get the itch for more torque. Before the S4, I had an A4 1.8T and I have an '05 S4 on order so that makes me an Audi fan. Doesn't change the fact that I've had my TSX for a year, it's not an audi, and I love it.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:24 AM
10th Gear

I currently drive an 04 A4, but am looking at switching to the TSX come fall....

Has anybody made the switch from Audi to Acura yet, and what were your thoughts?

It should also be mentioned that I have nothing but good things to say about my Audi. The reliability has been near perfect so far (after 42,000km), and I absolutely love everything about the way the car drives! The only reason I would consider making a switch is to free up some cash, not because I'm "unhappy".
Old 06-29-2004, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

March 04 I traded my 02 A4 1.8T Quattro on a TSX, I owned a TT & Wolfsburg Jetta prior to the A4. With 4 months and 11K miles on the TSX I'm very impressed. The TSX is quiet with less wind noise, seems to me faster, has a larger trunk, more room in the back seat and came with many standard options that were add on options on the Audi. The only two things I miss are the Bose HiFi & Quattro. Oh Ya the price was much lower than the 04 A4 I was considering. When it comes time for the next one I will look at Acura again. I sure like what I've seen on the 05 RL.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Advanced

I bought a TSX in 01/2004 with Navi. I trade it in for an Audi A4 Quattro. Stick with the Audi man. Although the navi was nice, the TSX looks like a girls car. It is sooooo similiar to the Accord. ( I know its an Accord Type R) The Audi is more manly, and if you plan on fixing it up, all you need is a turbo upgrade, springs, Oettinger kit and rims. thats all! Did I also tell you. Service for TSX is an arm and a leg? As you know Audi comes with free maintenance.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaiLo77
I bought a TSX in 01/2004 with Navi. I trade it in for an Audi A4 Quattro. Stick with the Audi man. Although the navi was nice, the TSX looks like a girls car. It is sooooo similiar to the Accord. ( I know its an Accord Type R) The Audi is more manly, and if you plan on fixing it up, all you need is a turbo upgrade, springs, Oettinger kit and rims. thats all! Did I also tell you. Service for TSX is an arm and a leg? As you know Audi comes with free maintenance.
First off, styling is subjective, so let the buyer decide. I have good enough judgement to determine what I feel is a girls car and what isn't, and the TSX definitely is not.

2. The TSX is not an Accord Type-R.

3. Like I said before, I don't plan on modding either car.

4. A turbo upgrade is never the first thing you do to upgrade a 1.8T.

5. If I make a switch, my A4 will almost be out of warranty anyways so the free maintenance thing is not really an issue. Acura maintenance may cost an arm and a leg, but Audi maintenance is going to cost you both arms and legs in comparison.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by DaiLo77
8=D ?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
8=D ?
Old 06-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jcg878
8=D ?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Advanced

Im over hear too, thinking about the TSX as well
Im also looking at
Subaru Legacy
and
Honda Accord coupe

VAG_20V
Old 07-01-2004, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TSX=XTC
Im over hear too, thinking about the TSX as well
Im also looking at
Subaru Legacy
and
Honda Accord coupe

VAG_20V
Its like one big reunion!

Hugs for all. :ultraghey:
Old 07-01-2004, 08:18 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

:ultraghey:
Uh, you should take a look at the name of this emoticon...
Old 07-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Its like one big reunion!

Hugs for all. :ultraghey:
It is going to be one big reunion for converted VAG drivers. Spread the tsx news.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Advanced

I posted the wrog info about the TSX being an Accord Type R- I have meant Type S.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Holla Back Youngin

haha
Old 07-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Pro

haha dailo it sounds like getting turbo upgrades are that simple...what do you mean "that's it"? upgrading the turbos and installing chips voids your warranty and involves a lot of maintenance..not to mention i've heard many horror stories about audi reliability...acura warranty and service is not bad at all..i dunno what you mean about an arm and a leg
Old 07-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Racer

actually, chip wont void the warranty. sometimes dealers cant even tell if a car is chipped. I never had any issues with chip nor the dealers. and it DOES NOT need more maintenance than stock. plus audi gets 4 or 5 years 50k miles FREE maintenance services, also audi assurance covers every single thing on the car, even wear and tear parts are coverd by warranty.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Holla Back Youngin

wow u should go get the egg shaped audi
Old 07-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally Posted by Tsex on 19s
wow u should go get the egg shaped audi
??? Audis are beautiful

If only they held together...
Old 07-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robeaneee
acura warranty and service is not bad at all..i dunno what you mean about an arm and a leg

Its not the warranty or quality of service which worries me, its the costs that will be incurred that are not covered under warranty.

Audi warranty covers virtually everything including maintenance...nuff said.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Advanced

hey buddy,
my 2 cents..

we haveboth .. 2002 audi a4 1.8t (sport package) and 2004 acura tsx.. i prefer the audi 'cause it just feels 'sturdier' but the tsx has the power: speed and acceleration wise. the audi feels like dead weight but it sure has all the nice features that i wish the tsx had/fixed ex. the stupid door locks that pop up and dont sit flush when you lock the car. the power sunroof closing when you lock your car...

the other thing i like is that the audi has a better radius when turning.
however, the tsx does have the power and it's priced cheaper than the audi.

i too live in vancouver !

regards,
DXman

Old 07-07-2004, 04:22 AM
Houston we have a problem

I'm starting to consider more important things like my upcoming house purchase or a ring for the GF.
Sounds just like my situation. Well, I've traded in my TSX for a E36 M3 already, but my household (used to) have a 02 A4 1.8TQ 5MT, 04 S4 6MT, and 04 TSX 6MT. Comparing the A4 to TSX, TSX seems to be a better choice. The 1.8T engine needs a 6spd, and a whole lot of skill to keep it boiling, and the weight of the car surely doesn't help the 170 horses. TSX is as heavy as the A4, but its NA engine and the slick 6spd is just fun to work with. Plus it has more space inside. It'll be helpful when your soon to be wife deliver your first new born.

If you race/autocross/track your car, than neither will be good. It's a hassle trying to carry enough speed into a corner and not understeer, while keeping the engine on boil to have enough juice on corner exit. It's fun on both cars (advantage towards TSX) but non can win in their class (in autoX, A4 and TSX goes against Mini Cooper S, 04 TL, SVT Focus, Civic SI, etc. quite impossible to win especially the Cooper S).
Old 07-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Race Director

Received 630 Likes on 506 Posts
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by euroStyle
actually, chip wont void the warranty. sometimes dealers cant even tell if a car is chipped.
Well, unless you have a chip that lets you switch back to the stock program, anyone can tell the car is chipped just by driving it. If you have an ECU-related issue and they try to reflash it and fail, then they'll also know that it's chipped.

Yes, there are a few mod-friendly dealers out there, but dealers can and do void power-train warranties because of chips all the time.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 1.8T Quattro vs. TSX