Article on Honda Pick-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Article on Honda Pick-up

The article doesn't say much other than to expect a 2005 introduction for the Honda pick-up that's based on the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX twins.

In the picture in the following article, the bed looks awfully short. I don't think my bike would easily fit in that, but let's hope the specs will show a useful size bed.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...2/d01-6025.htm
Old 12-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Don't get run over!

Re: Article on Honda Pick-up

Originally posted by Brad

In the picture in the following article, the bed looks awfully short. I don't think my bike would easily fit in that, but let's hope the specs will show a useful size bed.

I don't think the bed will be big enough for a bike. Its not going to be the size of a Chevy Silverado or Dodge Ram.

Its more in the lines of a Chevy Avalanche and Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Both of these trucks beds aren't that big either, but I like the Avalanche's bed because you can fold down the seat and remove the rear window to increase cargo capacity. The Sport Trac has a power rear window. I wonder if Honda will do that for their truck, we'll have to wait and see at the NAIAS in January.

If I were to buy a truck. I'd buy a Chevy or Dodge.....domestics are the way to go!

The Toyota Tundra is underpowered, and the Nissan Titan is ugly!
Old 12-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I think the Honda truck is going to be like the Avalanche, the bed is short but you can fold down the rear seats and elongate the bed. But anyway, this truck isn't going to be for people who need a real pickup truck (and most people don't, despite what sales of pickup trucks have to say). So I don't think there would be a problem with the short bed.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I have an older Toyota pick-up. It's fine for hauling household stuff (and my bike) and doesn't need more power, per se. (I don't sweat over horsepower specs, or 0-60 figures.)

The number one thing I hear about the new Nissan Titan is the very same comment as yours, "ugly".

Regarding the extra short-short pickup beds on some of the newer pick-ups, I'm not sure if I understand the point of a very short bed pickup. What can it carry beyond a keg or two of beer or a sack of potting soil, or heaven forbid, some sacks of groceries??? It won't even hold skies, for that matter.

Even my old Toyota pickup will carry a long sofa, fridges, washers, dryers, bikes, the Xmas tree, and stuff for the dumps. (The Xmas tree is my favorite thing to carry in the pick-up, because before I got the pick-up, I had to stuff, cram, or tie-down my trees to my cars. It's sooooo easy to get a tree with the pick-up!)

So what on earth good is a short short pickup bed?
Old 12-13-2003, 04:06 AM
Racer

No one buys SUTs for functionality. They're there so we can slap dubs on them and parade them around like we're in a rap video. Duh, everyone knows that man!
Old 12-13-2003, 10:20 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally posted by BuddySol
No one buys SUTs for functionality. They're there so we can slap dubs on them and parade them around like we're in a rap video. Duh, everyone knows that man!
I was planning on getting one to haul mulch and stuff.
I have an S-10 currently but it sucks, to slow, to crappy, to little interior space. That Honda SUT looked perfect....

....Man now if I get one I got to get dubs too.....Bummer.
At least Weld Racing has 20" ers on sale.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:25 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

[
So what on earth good is a short short pickup bed? [/B]
Often these trucks have bed extenders for when the gate is down. Some aftermarket co. may sell a rack that would fit the bed and stretch over the roof for bikes, ski's, ladders. Lots of people that use trucks have these.

The bed is a compromise 99% of the time I place dirty stuff at the end of my bed behind the gate, had a box made for that task.
But I sure would love comfy seating for 4 and the open bed of a truck. Plus, being a Honda would be nice. Most compact trucks (well all of them) suck in build and features a utte-hybrid may be nice. I love the Chevy Avalanche, but its a Chevy so I don't really want one.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

If I were in the market to replace my pick-up, it would not be a traditional full-size domestic make--GM, Ford, Chryzler. It's a statement of waste, overstatement, and overcapacity. They are a JOKE to park in most lots around here.

What I find TOTALLY amusing is the new 2004 Ford F150--Ford's latest and greatest opportunity for refinement. Just this past week, the crash-testing on it reveals it is the WORST in 5 mile-per-hour front-end collision. (5 mph is a slightly brisk walking speed. ) The Ford got over 5 grand in damage for barely moving.

Ford Motor would have been smart to not comment. But NO... Instead, Ford's response is that the government has no standards for trucks. Ironically, it's been Ford (and others) who have FOUGHT against collision standards for trucks!

If the Honda pickup is meant to be a "pretty" do-nothing show-off vehicle, then I wouldn't be happy with it. IMHO, a pickup is meant to get dirty and scratched from haulin and working hard. (There's another word for "pretty" that's more appropriate, and it starts with the letter g.) Amen!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Before I bought my TSX, my main form of transportation was my dad's 99 Silverado Z71. While the gas was pretty expensive to put in, it was great to have a pickup around here. I kind of miss it sometimes!

During those winter blizzard days, driving on the snow with the automatic 4 wheel drive was a blast. Nothing beats cruising along a snow covered freeway than a pick-em up truck. Didn't even have to put any weight in the bed either.

When we were moving furniture around, it was nice to fit a king sized bed easily in the bed. It kinda sucks though when friends always call you to ask to move stuff for them.

IMHO, domestic trucks are a better buy than their foreign counterparts. I'm a chevy guy.

Remember... ALWAYS buy bench seats in a pick-up truck!
Old 12-13-2003, 10:25 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

[IMHO, domestic trucks are a better buy than their foreign counterparts. I'm a chevy guy.

Remember... ALWAYS buy bench seats in a pick-up truck! [/B]
I own an S10, I come from a big family of Mopar-Ford truck owners as well. Dad owns an 86 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton and a since new '99 F350 1-ton Turbo Diesel.

None of the trucks meet build quality, refinement, or reliability standards of say their car counter parts. The compact market is a joke, even the Tocama has a class sucking base engine.

I think the newest F150 is the best to date, I love the new Tundra double cab. But this market needs a kick in the pants. I hope someone finally makes the Accord of trucks because Toyota has failed to make the Camry of them. And I sure as heck don't want the Taurus or Malibu of trucks. The domestics still make the best of the trucks, but I'm not sure that says much.

I've disliked so many things on my S10 I'm not sure I'd ever buy GM again, and I qualify for supplier discounts a/c of my job. I'd gladly pay full price for quality then get a break on subpar.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Racer

let's hope it doesn't look like the Avalanche - what an ugly POS. I can't understand what Chevy is doing with their headlights either.

Mind both the CRV and Element have way too much plastic. I hope Honda makes the thing attractive - too many of their cars have no external passion.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Here's the link to the article about the Ford's poor front-end damage: http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosins...autos-6440.htm
Old 12-13-2003, 11:14 PM
such a dirty birdy

Best description of the Avalanche styling I've seen to date is "the answer to a question nobody is asking". The 2004 1500 model with the chrome package and no plastic body cladding is a big improvement however. A little more de-uglifying and I'd consider one. Whether or not a full-size domestic truck is a statement of waste and overcapacity is wholly dependent on the intended use.

I bought a Suburban 5 yrs ago mostly because I needed towing capacity and seating for 7 people. Domestic trucks are for the most part very reliable and are as tough as sh*t. Our 'burbie's been rear-ended twice with thousands in damage to the other cars and no damage at all to us. They are so bread and butter that parts for them are plentiful and cheap and every podunk mechanic on the planet can work on them. Where they fall down IMO is the interiors - at best they are dull, at worst they are just plain weird. The dash and controls are easily the worst part of my truck. It is comfortable and relaxing for long drives though.

I no longer have much need for seating for more than 5 and the flexibilty of an "SUT" type vehicle looks pretty good to me. I like the idea of having a pickup bed for hauling messy stuff. That's kind of a pain in the Suburban sometimes. I'd like to have a truck-type vehicle with Honda/Toyota level of refinement and attention to detail, but it would have to be competitive with the full size domestics in terms of room and towing/hauling capacity. We might see that from Toyota someday, but somehow I doubt that Honda will ever take that segment head-on. It's just not "the Honda way".
Old 12-13-2003, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

That's a good point about Honda's styling (which includes Acura's styling). The MDX's front end has this bumper that sits way high and shows--what to call it?--sort of a severely recessed chin below the bumper. It makes the front end look way out of balance.

The Pilot's front end has better balance, but it's still a very plain Jane boring, generic look.

I can't wait for bloated off-balance styling to pass.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
That's one of the biggest design flaws with the MDX...no one's going to take that thing off-road, that front cladding just ruins the clean lines. I also don't like how it doesn't come with xenon headlamps (and still doesn't, even with the recent update), the Acura grille isn't framed with chrome and is small in relation to the size of the MDX's front fascia.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:18 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Don't look for a Honda SUT to meet anything close to full size needs. It's more of a Dakota, Ranger fighter.

Need a full size: check out the new Tundra Double cab. 6-foot long and much deeper bed, and a much wider cab able to hold 4-without any issues. The rear and front seats are out of the Seqoia full size utte.