Anyone ever installed their own mudguards?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:07 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever installed their own mudguards?

Hi,

We just got our TSX a week ago, and ordered the mudguards separately to save some money. (Yes, I've recently read the posts about them damaging the paint! I plan to apply some protective plastic and/or cushioning to the body as mentioned elsewhere.)

On my 1990 Accord I have installed cup holders, right hand outside mirror, etc. This was easy since the instructions and all parts were included. However, with the TSX mudguards, there are no instructions, and it appears that the screws currently in place in the wheel well are not sufficient for the job - in fact, it even appears some drilling might be required! :-O

Is there anyone else on this forum who has installed their own mudguards and can offer some pointers? I saw on ClubTSX where some fellow had his guards painted and installed them, but my request to join that forum hasn't been acknowledged in the days since.

Thanks,

Charles Green
Old 04-10-2004, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Installing Mud guards

Charles, if you go to this site, http://www.handa-accessories.com/tsx/08P00.pdf you will find very detailed instructions on how to install mud guards.
Old 04-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Racer

yup, should be a piece of pie/cake. just use some real SHORT screwdrivers.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Anyone ever installed their own mudguards?

Originally posted by CharlesWGreenJr
Hi,

We just got our TSX a week ago, and ordered the mudguards separately to save some money. (Yes, I've recently read the posts about them damaging the paint! I plan to apply some protective plastic and/or cushioning to the body as mentioned elsewhere.)

On my 1990 Accord I have installed cup holders, right hand outside mirror, etc. This was easy since the instructions and all parts were included. However, with the TSX mudguards, there are no instructions, and it appears that the screws currently in place in the wheel well are not sufficient for the job - in fact, it even appears some drilling might be required! :-O

Is there anyone else on this forum who has installed their own mudguards and can offer some pointers? I saw on ClubTSX where some fellow had his guards painted and installed them, but my request to join that forum hasn't been acknowledged in the days since.

Thanks,

Charles Green
no drilling required, i have installed them on many hondas and they always come with self tapping screws. i have a 90 degree drill attachment that allows me to use a drill with a phillips bit attached and i installed a set in less than 5 minutes.
if you can get your hands on a tool that will allow you to make a 90 degree bend and turn a handle from outside the wheel well its a snap.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:14 PM
such a dirty birdy

When I removed/replaced my mudguards, I used socket wrench with a screwdriver attachment that snaps on like a socket and takes standard drill-driver bits. That worked well. Absolute worst-case scenario, you can always remove the wheel to give yourself some room to work.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:49 AM
4th Gear

Re: Anyone ever installed their own splash guards? (Was Re: mudguards)

Thanks, all, for the replies, particularly the link to the instructions! I had been surprised when I opened the box and couldn't find any mounting hardware, and more so now since the instructions say they should be part of the kit (which was ordered over the Internet). I'll look again shortly, but at this point I'm assuming I'll need to go to some combination of car dealer / auto parts store / hardware store for 8 screws, 2 nuts (assuming my own parts pile doesn't have a close enough match) and helicopter / auto body tape / film to protect the paint.

Thanks again!

-Charles
Old 04-15-2004, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Installing Your Own Mugards -- Simple & Fun

Simply ask your Acura dealer to print the instructions for you. The accessory installation instructions now seem to only be offered on CD at dealerships -- they are not part of the Factory shop manuals (I bought these). The mudgards are about a half an hour to an hour job and you only need a screw driver and a sharp tool such as a plastic-headed map tack.

Have fun!
Old 04-16-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
should be pretty easy, i had to take off the rear wheels when i took mine off...so dont know if you have to do the same to put them on...

btw, the front mudguards will damage ur paint
Old 04-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Baka Unco

I put strips of silicone on the mud flaps in areas where the plastic would rub against the paint. Hopefully this will lessen any damage done to the paint/finish (most of the damage is caused by vibration and rubbing in my experience with mudflaps/plastic boots). If you're going to do this you need to sand the plastic areas that you're going to apply the silicone to, that will help the silicone to adhere.

I jacked up the car to help getting access to the areas where the screws go, that and a stubby screw driver was all I needed.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:05 PM
Racer

Re: Anyone ever installed their own mudguards?

Originally posted by CharlesWGreenJr
Hi,

Thanks,

Charles Green
Yea, I painted mine and they haven't chipped or cracked in almost a year. Pics in the link below.
http://home.satx.rr.com/thebeartrap/TSXside.jpg

You can get the installation instructions at https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...tructions/tsx/