Anybody imported a TSX frm US to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:47 AM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody imported a TSX frm US to Canada?

To make a long story short, I may have to bring my newly purchased (haven't picked up the 2006 TSX yet from the dealer) from US back to Canada. I'm moving down for work purposes and bought myself a brand spankin' new TSX. I've been eyeing it in Canada but finally decided to plunk in the $$ as it's a few $k cheaper in the US.

I understand that there is a Form 2 that Riv.ca issues to you and you're supposed to bring that form to an Motor vehicle inspection. I thought Riv.Ca would be able to point me to the specs / or requirements needed to convert my vehicle (other than daytime running lights, what else do I need to convert?). The customer service lady refuses to give me the list of specs until I actually do the importing and pay their fees! Kinda stupid if you ask me... I mean, what am I going to do with it?

Anyway, I was hoping that somebody's already been there and done that and would share what needed to be done to the TSX in order to make it compliant to Canadian standards. If you can list out what was on your Form 2 would be great! Also, if you can let me know how much you have to spend to make it Canadian worthy!

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

It's not too hard

I haven't done a TSX, but have done a couple Miata's and my Durango over the past years.

Feel free to PM me or email if you want to discuss. I am interested in doing the same for a TL actually, so have been reading the acurazine forums of late.

There's three issues to attend to, in my view:

- warranty. Will Acura Canada honor the Acura US waranty? I don't know. Mazda did.

- Us Exportation. You need to have a clear title on the car, and send it to your border crossing (US office) at least 72 hours prior to you getting there. They don't really do much but stamp your title saying the car has been exported.

- Canada. Show up at the border, and bend over. Well, open your wallet at least. The RIV.CA will show if your car is elibile for importation, and I imagine it is. Some cars aren't as they're not modifiable in Transport Canada;s view.

You will be charged $100 excise tax for your air conditioner. You will pay 7% (I think it is still) duty as your car is made in Japan. That is one big reason why I am looking at a TL, as they're US made and I will avoid duty. They will also charge you 6% GST (Goug'em, Screw'em Tax. for you 'mericans)

You will also be charged about $200 for the Federal import. That will put you in a system and they'll send you a letter that you have to take to Candian Tire for an inspection. On my Miata's I had to upgrade the bumpers, as the US standard is 2.5 mph, where it's 5 mph in Canada (8 kmh actually). I doubt if you'll do this on an Acura, as I bet they're made to satisfy the more stringent requirement of Canada.

On my Miata I also had to swap the visors so the airbag warning label was bilingual. I don't know if that is still a big issue, but be prepared. And you will have to have your car modified to support Daytime Running Lights. That's another factor in my case why I am leaning to a TL as the 2007 TL has DRLs in the US.

The last cost you will undoubtedly pay is once you pass the fed inspection, you have to get a provincial inspection, which is more basic safety testing. In Alberta that will cost you about 120 bucks.

So it's hurdles, but well worth it in my view. If you find out the Acura Canada policy on the warranty, I'd really appreciate a reply.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 10-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You guys might want to look at this HUGE thread.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601

Lots of discussion, etc... about how to import to Canada. Much of it tm510 / Jerry already covered, but (without reading it all myself) I'd assume there's a lot of personal experience and detail in there.

Maybe run a search in that thread for "Honda" or "Acura" and see what comes up in terms of personal experience, too.

Cheers,
Eric
Old 10-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
daytime running lights and english/french airbag stickers are 2 that come to mind.

coworker imported a TL from pennslyvania to ontario. it was a very easy process for him.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:08 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Jerry

I called Acura Canada or Honda Canada, in either case, they're one and the same. The customer service said that they will honor the US warranty in Canada only if:

1) you've been a US resident, with a valid US DL
2) title of the vehicle has been registered in the US

I found this out first before I decided on purchasing the Acura, otherwise, if I had to move back, I'd be hooped!

Jeff

Originally Posted by tm510
<Snip>

So it's hurdles, but well worth it in my view. If you find out the Acura Canada policy on the warranty, I'd really appreciate a reply.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 10-27-2006, 08:25 PM

cestmoi: How far do you live (in Canada) from the nearest Acura dealership in the US?

If it isn't far (say Buffalo if you're in Toronto, etc...), then dont worry tooooooo much about the warranty if you can get major warranty stuff done across the border.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
from redflagdeals:

GM: No warranty for first 6 months after the import is made. Must be brought back to U.S.
DaimlerChrysler: Only if a U.S. owner is on vacation in Canada at time of it needing service. Even a U.S. citizens permanantly moving here is not covered.
Ford: Coverage in Canada but only as stated in U.S. warranty booklet.
Honda: Only for U.S. citizens who move to Canada.
Nissan: Full Canadian Warranty applies.
Toyota: Full Canadian warranty applies, but they do not encourage people to cross border shop.
don't know how much the makers stick to this policy, since cestmoi already called and honda/acura canada will honor the US warranty.

Don't get caught by warranty woes
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...5-7faef2affa98
Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Instructor

I import 01 cls last year from states, it's very easy, and warranty is void, but u can go to closet us dealerr, like when my tranny was dead I went to Lewis Acura in burlington, about 100milles from montreal, and they fix my car for free
Old 10-27-2006, 11:20 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

I actually am currently in Vancouver, BC. I'm moving to near Nasvhille, Tennessee VERY soon. If something would happen that would make me have to move back to Canada, I wouldn't want to drive all the way to the nearest US Acura if I have a problem! For one thing if I couldn't drive the vehicle, the towing down there (if there were such service) would've been a killer!

Originally Posted by curls
cestmoi: How far do you live (in Canada) from the nearest Acura dealership in the US?

If it isn't far (say Buffalo if you're in Toronto, etc...), then dont worry tooooooo much about the warranty if you can get major warranty stuff done across the border.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by cestmoi
I actually am currently in Vancouver, BC. I'm moving to near Nasvhille, Tennessee VERY soon. If something would happen that would make me have to move back to Canada, I wouldn't want to drive all the way to the nearest US Acura if I have a problem! For one thing if I couldn't drive the vehicle, the towing down there (if there were such service) would've been a killer!
From what you said, what I'd recommend is asking Acura Canada this (and get it in writing):

- If I buy in the US and have to move back to Canada to work, can I bring the USDM car with me, no warranty issues?
- Car will have been registered in US (you'll be driving it while in Tenessee, right?), and, you will have a Tenessee drivers' license at one point. Make a photocopy of it in case Acura Canada gives you a hassle about being back in BC (thus having a BC drivers' license now, but a Tenessee license previously).

I'd think you're about 90% entitled to the warranty based on this. Check to be sure, but I think you'll be OK.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cestmoi

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...rc4140-05e.pdf

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...rc4105-06e.pdf

The above two brochures cover most of what you need to know.