AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/)
-   -   Antifreeze/coolant (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/antifreeze-coolant-660720/)

TSX7 08-28-2005 04:37 PM

Antifreeze/coolant

A few days ago while I was checking the engine oil level, I noticed antifreeze/coolant level was at MIN. I don't think it's leaking as I don't have any traces of antifreeze on my driveway. I topped it up today with Prestone (50:50 premixed). Is it normal to fill up antifreeze once in a while? Did any of you had to fill up antifreeze on your TSX?

Thanks

tonka_146 08-28-2005 06:57 PM

ok well here's my dilemma...mine would be way below the min level and i have filled it up twice in the last month or so... i know that i'm here in jax and its soooooooooo hot ..but i dont think that a car needs that much antifreeze in 2 months??

moda_way 08-28-2005 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by tonka_146
ok well here's my dilemma...mine would be way below the min level and i have filled it up twice in the last month or so... i know that i'm here in jax and its soooooooooo hot ..but i dont think that a car needs that much antifreeze in 2 months??

Check for leaks yet. Good test is a piece of cardboard under the front over night.

tonka_146 08-28-2005 07:31 PM

i dont think that its leaking but i will check ....would there be any noticeable thing like on the temp gauge ??

acuraaddict_RENAMED 08-28-2005 08:24 PM

When I first got my TSX I had the same problem. Then I noticed what appeared to be traces of coolant in the threads of the reservoir tank cap. I removed it, cleaned up the threads and made sure the cap was on tight (it felt less that tight when I unscrewed it) I never had the problem again. It may be worth checking

TSX7 08-28-2005 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by acuraaddict_RENAMED
When I first got my TSX I had the same problem. Then I noticed what appeared to be traces of coolant in the threads of the reservoir tank cap. I removed it, cleaned up the threads and made sure the cap was on tight (it felt less that tight when I unscrewed it) I never had the problem again. It may be worth checking

When I refilled the coolant, I noticed coolant precipitate around the cap on the reservoir tank. I cleaned it up so maybe this won't happen again.

SodaLuvr 08-29-2005 04:22 PM

Theres been reports of this same problem, on the TL forum regarding some coolant loss in these cars. Doesn't seem to be an internal leaks, just some evaporation.

An oil analysis would be the best way to check for any leaks, yes I have seen an 04 TSX leak coolant internally.

Prestone All Makes/Models or the 50:50 premixed version is fine, though I'd flush out the entire cooling system before adding it in.

This is because I have another car in the family, a 96 Saturn that specs silicated green coolant. Last mechanic who did a flush with Prestone Extended Life Dex-Cool, didn't flush out the system completely. Thus, that may have possibly caused the buildup around the filler neck area. :confused: However, the Dex-Cool is perfectly pink.

MW

JTso 08-29-2005 05:14 PM

I'm suspecting the buildup is caused by using tap water instead of distilled water when mixing the coolant. Personally, I would just stick with Honda type-2 coolant for the TSX.