ALmost getting a car, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALmost getting a car, need help!

Hey, i'm currently 16, have my permit already and when 17 comes around, i'm getting myself a nice car. reason i'm doing that is because my parents drive these shitty expensive mercedes, and as we all know japanese is king. i am aware that most people usually bangs up their first car, so i wanted something farely cheap yet stylish. i don't wanna sound like a jakcass, but my family is wealthy, yet i don't see the point in wasting money in an expensive car if theres a good chance of me f*cking it up. i am looking for a car (upcoming, if u know of any) that has navigation (its a must), great looks, and is a 4door. i know, the tsx matches these specifications perfectly. actually, i am gearing towards buying a tsx anyways, but is there any other car from another jap company that has similar specification and, is perhaps cheaper then the tsx? thanks!
Old 01-11-2004, 03:33 AM
Racer

Accord EX has a variant with navigation. It's a little cheaper than the TSX, but not that much.

You can also get aftermarket navigation units that either hook up like head units or look like PDAs, but of course, they don't look as nice if they're not integrated into the car in the first place.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:47 AM
Racer

Oh shit, I know! A Mazda3 is like half the price of a TSX, and there's an optional navigation system. You could buy 2, each a different color. If you fuck one up, you've still got another.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:53 AM
Racer

lol

Originally posted by dnl2ba
Oh shit, I know! A Mazda3 is like half the price of a TSX, and there's an optional navigation system. You could buy 2, each a different color. If you fuck one up, you've still got another.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Re: ALmost getting a car, need help!

Originally posted by mmanus88
i don't wanna sound like a jakcass, but
Since you are only 16, I will give you free life advice. Remember this always. Never, ever start a sentence with the above. Because asuredly, the next thing you say will make you sound like a jackass. No matter what it is.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:10 AM
Cruisin'

the point of me starting this thread was to get some car advice, honestly do u beleive i would go around telling people i'm wealthy? i amt rying to give everyone an idea here that i don't have to ge tthe cheapest car on earth, and i'm fortunate enough to be able to get something very nice. beleive me i would never say that in my everyday talk, this is a forum. anyways, i don't like he mazda three, i researched it before. its an excellent mix between a budget car and luxury, but i just don't like the exterior look. i love the accord, but Honda and all of its cars are too overplayed, u see nothing but civics and accords in my part of the country. as for an aftermarket navi, nothing beats having factory installed navi, its looks better, neater, and plus installing aftermarker navi would recquire me to install some security locks, just so no one deices to pop the system out, so it would cost me more altogether. is there anything new coming out soon that fits my needs?
Old 01-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Kick Ass Duke

nope. the tsx is the best you can get. i dont have the navi, but it's bad ass. plus the tsx comes with everything that you would need without having to add a bunch of packages that would cost you a few thousands more.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Intermediate

Hey mmanus88, I also think the TSX is perfect for you. Make sure you test drive one with your parent(s) and it will pretty much sell itself. I'm getting one for my 18th birthday, and after my dad and I test drove it I could tell by the look on his face he loved it just as much as I did And he usually doesn't get too excited about cars, so that tells you something.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

The mazda3 might be better for you if you are expecting to mess it up. And nearly every teenager will total a car at some point. Cheaper, but not as cool or as sexy as my TSX.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Ah, nearly every American teenager will total a car at some point, but I'm not American so I actually know how to drive But seriously, teenagers are more likely to get into accidents but so are older people. It all depends on the person. I'm a teenager but I follow my father's advice derived from 30years driving experience- "know the limits of the car and your own limits and never approach those limits unless in a controlled environment such as a racetrack" This reminds me of something that happened to me a few days ago. I was going around a traffic circle (actually IN the circle) and this guy who looked much older than me almost hits me on my right rear because he fails to stop and yield to me as he was entering the circle. He then proceeds to honk and show me the finger I felt like stopping, yanking him out of his car, and slamming his head multiple times into the sign that clearly reads YIELD TO TRAFFIC IN CIRCLE. Some people just don't belong on the roads...
Old 01-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Cruisin'

i loved the tsx when if irst saw it a few years ago, and its still ym favorite. i will testdrive one when the time comes, they are excellent cars and really do seem to fit the bill. of cours ei would be careful as hell with it. acura's cost a lot to repair. thanks a lot for the help guys.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Advanced

i loved the tsx when if irst saw it a few years ago,
? This is the first model year ?
Old 01-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Kick Ass Duke

its an accord in europe and japan
Old 01-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Racer

but Honda and all of its cars are too overplayed, u see nothing but civics and accords in my part of the country.
There're pluses and minuses to that. The plus side is that it'll be much easier to find parts (either OEM or aftermarket) and service for a popular car.

The TSX is still very (I see an average of maybe 1.5/mo), but if it continues selling briskly, it won't be for too long.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Cruisin'

if i were to get a tsx, i wreally wouldn't want ot hook it up. to me, the tsx is the kind of car that should stay stock. i've seen people put kits on their tsx, looks really good, but imho the tsx doesn't need to get hooked up (in terms of exterior), though tis always a plus of course. i feel the tsx will get popular quick, hell it slaready popular
Old 01-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

There're pluses and minuses to that. The plus side is that it'll be much easier to find parts (either OEM or aftermarket) and service for a popular car.

The TSX is still very (I see an average of maybe 1.5/mo), but if it continues selling briskly, it won't be for too long.
There's only 15,000 made, so even if demand is high, the supply is still limited.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

i actually just had a vision. hows about an accord coupe ex with leather and navi, just take off the honda emblems and replace them with acura's (if its that important to me). that way i save about 3-4K
Old 01-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

I thought you wanted a 4 door?

There aren't too many cars here that fit your requirements. You've mentioned you don't really like the Mazda 3 and the only other import I can think of is the IS300. IMHO you will be happier with the TSX/Accord.

I was contemplating getting the Accord after I drove my co-worker's car, but then my friend (who works for Honda) told me about the TSX and I checked it out and was sold. I loved the elegant look yet sporty demeanor that hides beneath. It gets good gas mileage too. I drove a demo with the navi and somehow engaged the navi by accident. The entire way back to the dealer the navi kept saying "make a u-turn if possible" every 30 secs.

The final choice, obviously, is up to you. Drive them all and take the one that tickles your heart most. But please be careful if you get the TSX...I'd hate to see one wrecked.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

i actually just had a vision. hows about an accord coupe ex with leather and navi, just take off the honda emblems and replace them with acura's (if its that important to me). that way i save about 3-4K
That's a good idea (and probably cheaper for your parents to insure), but let's leave the emblems alone. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Racer

Oops, that should be "very rare." I musta lost it in an edit. (I'm a compulsive editor.)

There's only 15,000 made, so even if demand is high, the supply is still limited.
Despite what your Acura dealer told you, 15,000 is a target, not a production limit. Someone recently posted that his TSX on order would be #21,000-something.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

yea i did say 4 door more mportantly is the part about anvigation, good looks and something that won't hammer the piggybank
Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Unhappy Trashing your first car?

Look kid,
Just because a lot of idiot teenagers wreck their first car doesn't mean you can expect to. I'm 21 (been driving for 6 years) have never been in any kind of wreck and I've never even been pulled over. I drive fast all the time, but I'm a safe driver. My point is that unless you you are worried about your own driving, you should go ahead and get something really nice. After all, unlike me you are "wealthy". Also, please don't switch emblems -- that is only for rice boys and gays.

Slats (I'm baaack)
Old 01-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Tru dat, you can drive agressively without being wreckless. You also do not need to fit a stereotype and become a statistic. I've been driving since 18 with no violations or accidents and I'm only 24 now. I do consider my driving habits to be more aggressive than other people on the road, but I will not put the lives of other people on the line if the conditions are not fit for aggressive driving (ie speeding through rush hour traffic or residential zones is just asking for it). Watch out more for road rage, I think that was my hardest challenge when I first started driving and I think you touched on it when you mentioned how a driver failed to yield to you... A few minutes of anger is not worth a wrecked TSX and increase in insurance premiums. Not to mention the loss of trust from your parents...that's really hard to recover.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

yea i did say 4 door more mportantly is the part about anvigation, good looks and something that won't hammer the piggybank
sounds like a pretty good idea for a first car. plus you wont portray that spoiled brat image by having a very expensive car.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Cruisin'

u just had to call me kid didn't u

u are superior to me

take it easy my man. your idea of a riced out car may be different from mine. let people do whatever they want to their car, its their money and their car. and just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean he/she is wasteful with money. i never said everyone fucks up their first car, even while being a teen. of course there is always that guy who has never gotten a ticket, or never had a single dent put into his car. but face it, when u first get your car at a young age your excited, and your driving may be a little more reckless. i will, of course, be as careful as possible with whatever car i get, as being wreckless is certainly not worth the repairs or putting your life or others in danger. aside from that, for now, i think the accord coupe nice choice for a young guy looking for a middleground between technology, style, and cost. hell i hear a tsx awd is coming to the US sometime soon, maybe i could hit that if it isn't too much money.

cheers
Old 01-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
That's a good idea (and probably cheaper for your parents to insure), but let's leave the emblems alone. Thanks.
Not sure about that... I traded in a Honda Civic on my TSX and my insurance went down.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Racer

Better wreckless than reckless, that's what I always say.

I never wrecked my hand-me-down '88 Legend when I was a teen, but I did scratch the hell out if it when I entered came into the garage a little too fast from an angle. It's easy to get careless once you've been driving for a while.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:15 PM
heywood j. ablowme

u just had to call me kid didn't u

u are superior to me

take it easy my man. your idea of a riced out car may be different from mine. let people do whatever they want to their car, its their money and their car. and just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean he/she is wasteful with money. i never said everyone fucks up their first car, even while being a teen. of course there is always that guy who has never gotten a ticket, or never had a single dent put into his car. but face it, when u first get your car at a young age your excited, and your driving may be a little more reckless. i will, of course, be as careful as possible with whatever car i get, as being wreckless is certainly not worth the repairs or putting your life or others in danger. aside from that, for now, i think the accord coupe nice choice for a young guy looking for a middleground between technology, style, and cost. hell i hear a tsx awd is coming to the US sometime soon, maybe i could hit that if it isn't too much money.

cheers
hmm.. there's something about the way you talk that makes you sound like a jack ass. anyway, changing emblems constitutes as being a dumb ass and a ricer to most people. but you're right - you can do whatever you want with your car and your money. im 19, so i kinda have a feeling what you're looking for.
here's a list of what i would suggest
tsx
g35 coupe/sedan
s40
is300

or like someone else suggested, get an aftermarket navi. you can get one of those slide/pop out lcd displays and im sure there's a way to get gps/navigation system connected to it.

btw, no plans for an awd tsx as of now... and for a whiiiiiile. don't believe all the shit your friends babble about cars.

good luck.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Cruisin'

don't worry, i responded liek a jackass because i didn't appreciate the guys response. i read the AWD thing right here on this forum, some link somehwere they said the guy was trustworthy. anyways i have considered the g35, but thats more expensive then the tsx. s40, good move by volvo but has a turbo, i don't wanna kill myself too fast hehe. is300 is cool, but i like the tsx look better.
i will probably end up on the tsx, and shit will i be happy

thanks for all your input, i'm sure some pre-license kid will appreciate this thread someday
Old 01-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Racer

Toyota/Lexus's MO is float boat driving. You'll never feel the road. Very different from the TSX, which is a firm (but not bumpy) stock ride.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Cruisin'

yea i'm just feeling the tsx a bit more here i love everythin about it, and if not hing preceeds it, which i doubt anything will, i will make a very good effort to be an owner.