Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wa sa ppl!
count me in!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye
hsyu,
I ordered my TSX from Lindsay Acura. I tried Acura Columbus first, but they only wanted to give me 50% of the blue book value for my trade-in. Lindsay gave me 95%, and I can live with that. I just wasn't impressed with the experience I had at Acura Columbus. From what I could tell, they're all a bunch of jerks. What was your experience like? Did you have a trade-in?
Brutus,

I had a really good experience overall. They gave me a good deal on trade-in, honored my price quote for the TSX and even shopped around for the best lease deal for me. Overall I drove home really impressed. My salesman even gave me his cell and told me to call him if I had any problems.

My experience is just opposite of yours. The person I delt with at Lindsay didn't really seem to care to sell me the car. When we went out for a test drive the guy just kinda stared out the window and if I said something he would just say "uh huh", "yeah I think so", and "oh really?". He didn't explain anything or showcase the features.

So I took their price and went to Acura Columbus, which is much close to where I live anyway. I guess it's all about who you end up working with...

Oh, BTW, my screenname at work is hsyu. Does anyone know if there is a way to delete accounts you no longer need/use?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Intermediate

sunnyboy,
That's really weird. After I got the quote at Lindsay, I went back to Acura Columbus to try to get them to match it, and the salesman said there was no way they could even get close. He didn't even bother to go back and talk to their appraiser. There was a $2000-$2500 difference in their trade-in offers.

When they were looking at my car at Acura Columbus, the salesman asked me if it had ever been in an accident. I told him it was. The door and left front fender were replaced. After that, he couldn't get past this. It's been fixed and is as good as new now, but he tried to tell me that having been in an accident pushes it out of "good" condition. I even rated it at kbb.com with major body damage, and it still is rated as "good". This guy was so full of it and I was pretty insulted by him.

Oh well, I would have much rather bought the car from them because it's closer to where I live, but I'm not going to throw away a couple thousand dollars.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:11 AM
More On

If you think the trade-in offer is so bad, why not just sell it privately?

I think most trade-in offers are pretty good, if you factor in that they're saving you the time and trouble of selling it yourself, provided that you're interested in saving that time and trouble. If you don't mind taking the time and trouble, you'll almost always do a lot better selling it privately anyway. As near as I can tell, the main reason trade-in offers seems so lousy is that we forget this.

Sometimes, if a dealer sees that someone is so set on getting a certain amount for the trade-in, they'll offer that to you, but then not give you such a good deal on the new car. And some buyers go for that.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

I don't want to go through the hassle of selling it myself. I'm not comparing the private sale value to the trade-in value. Dealer A offered me kbb trade-in value and Dealer B offered me 50% of that. Since both offered $1000 off MSRP, I went with Dealer A. I was just surprised that the two dealerships would be so far off in what they were willing to offer.