Aftermarket Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Bluetooth

I'm looking to retrofit my 04 TSX with bluetooth and Ipod connections and I have come up with the following kits. Just wanted to see if anyone else had installed these components.

First for the Ipod I would use the USA Spec kit that everyone is raving about. For the bluetooth kit, I am looking at the kit from Scosche. I have talked to the company and they claim that it will mate up with the rca inputs on the USA spec kit no problem. Then the bluetooth receiver syncs up with the cellphone and calls are made through the included mic. The Scosche website states that the calls are sent over the car speakers, and that the music is muted when an incoming call is received, just like the factory Bluetooth.

Has anyone else either used this kit or know about this kit? It seems like it would provide 04-05 TSX with most of the functionality of the 06TSX and would keep my woman from pressuring me to trade in for an 06-07 TSX.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard of the scoche bluetooth unit, but I've used their stuff in the past on domestics and its usually good oem integration gear.

The one concern is that in order to utilize the bluetooth, you'd have to cycle through the inputs to the CD-C input, and then to the 'aux' CD6 input. If its piping the 'ring' audio through the speakers, you wouldn't hear it if you're listening to ipod, xm, fm, cd, etc. If its not, you'll have to listen to your cell anyway, while your cell is ringing, and cycle inputs before the call goes to voicemail.

I don't think it would work well or be worth it.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's the problem that Reach mentioned. To get around it you could put a splitter on the output and then make one output go the USASpec Aux input and then the other output go to a small seperate speaker. Many of the aftermarket bluetooths kits either come with and external speaker or have one that you can buy.

That way you would still hear the ring, and can switch to the USAspec if the audio still isn't loud enough for you. You can also wire the mute output of the bluetooth phone kit to the factory deck. If I remember correctly Pin #12 will mute the factory deck when 12 volts is sent to it. On a non navi TSX this wire doesn't exsist, so you'll have to insert your own. This is a little more complicated but certainly doable if you want to go all out.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying, but I would still have the ability to make phone calls and switch to bluetooth mode, and if I had my phone visible I could see when I have a call and change my input to aux and use the Schosche module right? I hear that you guys are saying that it is not the full functionality of the OEM bluetooth, but it is a huge improvement no?