Advanced VTEC Engine in Euro R Accord

Honda Develops Advanced VTEC Engine
Source: Honda
September 25, 2006
Article Images
[Honda Advanced VTEC]
[Honda Advanced VTEC]
(Click to Enlarge)

TOCHIGI, Japan 09/25/2006 -- Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has further advanced its VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control System) technology with the development of the Advanced VTEC engine, which achieves high performance along with outstanding fuel economy and lower emissions. The new engine combines continuously variable valve lift and timing control with the continuously variable phase control of VTC (Variable Timing Control). Honda plans to release a production vehicle equipped with the new engine within three years.

This new system permits optimum control over intake valve lift and phase in response to driving conditions, achieving improved charging efficiency for a significant increase in torque at all engine speeds. Under low to medium load levels, the valves are set for low lift and early closure to reduce pumping losses and improve fuel economy.

In combination with optimized intake components, these advances in control technology result in world-class dynamic performance along with approximately 13 percent* improvement in fuel economy. The new engine is also exceptionally clean, with exhaust emissions that meet both U.S. Environmental Protection Agency LEV2-ULEV regulations and Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport requirements for Low-Emission Vehicles, with emission levels 75 percent lower than those required by the 2005 standards (based on Honda calculations).

Thought this is interesting.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW Diesel and now this?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Sounds like the economy version of our K24. Is it made for US/europe Honda accord market or is there a US TSX version? Is the engine 2.0L, 2.3L or 2.4L. I wounder what the hp/tq numbers, mpgs, and torque curve look like compared to our K24.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
wowowow, 06 wheels on a 04-05. looks niceeee

Old 09-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Instructor

so this is why they're using dbw now? I wonder how much of a tq difference there would be between the gas-saving and performance extremes.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EuRTSX

I believe its still an 06...?
Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Advanced

advanced vtec vs i-vtec

on the topic of power... which is better?

spose from the text, the advanced vtec is better... i wonder if its gonna be building off i-vtec or different
Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Yup sure is a 04-05 with 06 wheels, hahaha. I wonder why Honda would do that? Hmmmm....
Old 09-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acn684
I believe its still an 06...?
no it's def. an 04-05 with 06 wheels.

Now that Advanced VTEC has continuously variable lift, phase, and timing I believe honda has everything that BMW's Double Vanos has and maybe a little more since double vanos does not alter phase? I had been under the impression before that i-VTEC altered lift, phase, and timing while double vanos merely altered lift and timing. can anyone confirm?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Racer

I guess the best thing to do would be to make a chart. But I don't know how to fill all of it in.

i-VTEC
phase: ?
intake lift: dual cam profiles
intake opening duration: dual cam profiles
exhaust lift: dual cam profiles
exhaust opening duration: dual cam profiles

Advanced VTEC
phase: continuously variable profiles
intake lift: continuosly variable profiles
intake opening duration: ?
exhaust lift:?
exhaust opening duration:?

Double Vanos
intake opening duration: none
exhaust lift: continuously variable profiles
exhaust opening duration: none
Old 09-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
advanced vtec vs i-vtec

on the topic of power... which is better?

spose from the text, the advanced vtec is better... i wonder if its gonna be building off i-vtec or different
the difference in advanced VTEC and i-VTEC is that i-VTEC merely had two cam profiles. Once was for fuel economy; the other was for power. that's why you felt a difference when the engine changed profiles (at 6000rpm in the TSX). The continuously variable profiles will gradually change lift and timing so you are always on the optimum profile. I believe this is correct.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stewie20068
I guess the best thing to do would be to make a chart. But I don't know how to fill all of it in.

i-VTEC

Advanced VTEC

Double Vanos
i-vtec has variable phase by changing intake cam phasing.

And what you are describing above is for Valvetronic. Vanos is only variable cam phasing, while double vanos is on both intake and exhaust.

I'm interested in seeing how Honda implements Advanced VTEC. For Valvetronic, the valvetrain mass is increased, so there are more losses at high RPM. That's the reason Valvetronic is used on the smaller non-performance engine and not on the S series engines.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,858 Likes on 2,579 Posts
I read on another forum that it is believed to be a SOHC motor instead of DOHC for use in cars like the fit and other small cars.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aaronng
i-vtec has variable phase by changing intake cam phasing.

And what you are describing above is for Valvetronic. Vanos is only variable cam phasing, while double vanos is on both intake and exhaust.

I'm interested in seeing how Honda implements Advanced VTEC. For Valvetronic, the valvetrain mass is increased, so there are more losses at high RPM. That's the reason Valvetronic is used on the smaller non-performance engine and not on the S series engines.
is the phasing for i-VTEC continuously variable? that's what I'm curious to know. oh yeah I forgot its Double Vanos with Valvetronic. when you say S series are you talking about BMW engines?

i-VTEC

Advanced VTEC
intake lift: continuously variable profiles

Double Vanos with Valvetronic
Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
the difference in advanced VTEC and i-VTEC is that i-VTEC merely had two cam profiles. Once was for fuel economy; the other was for power. that's why you felt a difference when the engine changed profiles (at 6000rpm in the TSX). The continuously variable profiles will gradually change lift and timing so you are always on the optimum profile. I believe this is correct.
I could be wrong, but doubt I am... VTEC and i-VTEC both have two cam profiles... its just that i-VTEC has variable phase/timing due to VTC (intake cam timing change mechanism).

Advanced VTEC sounds like an infinitely-variable cam profile (would this be camless -- hydraulic cam's?)
Old 09-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I read on another forum that it is believed to be a SOHC motor instead of DOHC for use in cars like the fit and other small cars.
It's 2.4L though... 2.4L + fit
Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Instructor

ok. vtec is technology where an engine has dual camshafts that will make a fuel economic engine perform like a racing one at high rpm. a sohc engine only has dual cams(vtec) on its intake valves (pretty much all honda cars). dohc engine have dual cams(vtec) on both the intake and exhaust values, thus more of a power change in vtec (integra type r and nsx...). now, i-vtec is technology that is designed to push more output out of a smaller engine. also to make it feasiable for the i-vtec hardware and the engine to fit under the hood of a car. now i-vtec is technology that can program the "phase timing" or in other words change the elasped time between the intake valve closing and exhasut value opening. i-vtec is i think only limited to a certain amount of degrees that it can control when the intake and exhaust values open and close. the Advance vtec i guess say its continuous which i guess can limit up to 360 degrees of the vtc.

p.s. not much advancment bec i-vtec is kinda the same thing..but its progress which is good.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
CCC, thanks for the info and, by the way, i get a kick out of your signature
Old 09-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
It probably uses a variable rocker ratio or something to achieve the variable lift. It looks like the timing cover still has the hump for the VTC pulley on the intake side.

Note that there's no power steering pump on that engine--perhaps Honda is finally dumping it?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
6th Gear

how come honda doesn't have similar setup on the exhaust side?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Driver/Detailer

is the phasing for i-VTEC continuously variable? that's what I'm curious to know. oh yeah I forgot its Double Vanos with Valvetronic. when you say S series are you talking about BMW engines?

i-VTEC

Advanced VTEC
intake lift: continuously variable profiles

Double Vanos with Valvetronic
Intake cam phasing for i-VTEC is handled by VTC, and yes, it is continuously variable. It's adjusted through the cam gear.

There are M and S engines. S engines are the ones used in the high performance models like the M3 and M5/6. The M engines on the regular models are the ones with valvetronic. S engines use only double Vanos because they have to rev higher.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by curls
I could be wrong, but doubt I am... VTEC and i-VTEC both have two cam profiles... its just that i-VTEC has variable phase/timing due to VTC (intake cam timing change mechanism).

Advanced VTEC sounds like an infinitely-variable cam profile (would this be camless -- hydraulic cam's?)
He wrote "advanced VTEC". Hhehe, I missed it at first as well.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by gcjin2007
ok. vtec is technology where an engine has dual camshafts that will make a fuel economic engine perform like a racing one at high rpm. a sohc engine only has dual cams(vtec) on its intake valves (pretty much all honda cars). dohc engine have dual cams(vtec) on both the intake and exhaust values, thus more of a power change in vtec (integra type r and nsx...).
SOHC engine has only 1 cam. DOHC engines have 2 cams. LOL. You must have meant cam profiles.
There are also Honda DOHC engines with vtec only on the intake cams.

Originally Posted by gcjin2007
now i-vtec is technology that can program the "phase timing" or in other words change the elasped time between the intake valve closing and exhasut value opening. i-vtec is i think only limited to a certain amount of degrees that it can control when the intake and exhaust values open and close. the Advance vtec i guess say its continuous which i guess can limit up to 360 degrees of the vtc.

p.s. not much advancment bec i-vtec is kinda the same thing..but its progress which is good.
You got it wrong. Advanced VTEC allows continously variable lift.

BTW, if you have VTC that goes 360 degrees, you'll have munched valves.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by junktionfet
Note that there's no power steering pump on that engine--perhaps Honda is finally dumping it?
JDM K20A in the EP3, DC5R and CL7 use EPS at the moment. But a K24A with EPS is new.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by KYTSX
how come honda doesn't have similar setup on the exhaust side?
They don't want to give you all the goodies at once. Same thing happened with i-VTEC in the k20A for the Stream.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Racer

Intake cam phasing for i-VTEC is handled by VTC, and yes, it is continuously variable. It's adjusted through the cam gear.

There are M and S engines. S engines are the ones used in the high performance models like the M3 and M5/6. The M engines on the regular models are the ones with valvetronic. S engines use only double Vanos because they have to rev higher.
how about lift and duration on the exhaust side? is honda just going "advanced" for the intake side and leaving the exhaust with the dual cam profile?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Driver/Detailer

how about lift and duration on the exhaust side? is honda just going "advanced" for the intake side and leaving the exhaust with the dual cam profile?
It's not mentioned if there is conventional VTEC on the exhaust side, but I am guessing no.

Looking at their past VTEC developments, they usually apply it on the exhaust side for performance models. So if there is a performance model requiring a major upgrade and facelift, they might apply advanced vtec on the exhaust.

Best source would be from Honda, not me.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Racer

It's not mentioned if there is conventional VTEC on the exhaust side, but I am guessing no.

Looking at their past VTEC developments, they usually apply it on the exhaust side for performance models. So if there is a performance model requiring a major upgrade and facelift, they might apply advanced vtec on the exhaust.

Best source would be from Honda, not me.
yeah I've been looking around honda's stuff, but they don't seem to be very specific so far. I wonder how much more output we'll see in the advanced engine's midrange. I mean do you think at least 30 horses around 5k since hondata accomplishes 25hp with just a backup of the VTEC point on the i-VTEC?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Driver/Detailer

yeah I've been looking around honda's stuff, but they don't seem to be very specific so far. I wonder how much more output we'll see in the advanced engine's midrange. I mean do you think at least 30 horses around 5k since hondata accomplishes 25hp with just a backup of the VTEC point on the i-VTEC?
The advanced/i-vtec mechanism does not make power on its own. Power depends on the cams, compression, fuel maps, piston/rod weights, porting and breathing and exhaust efficiencies.

Hondata makes 25hp at 5000rpm by leaning out the stock rich fuel maps as well as advancing the timing as far as it can go at WOT. Power is not made because the cam change point is lowered to 5000rpm. It just so happens that with Hondata's fuel maps, the optimum cam change point was 5000rpm instead of 6000rpm.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Racer

I find it interesting how the engineers at Honda/Acura like to use Milano Red when they show case new technology, in this case a more efficient, powerful and advanced engine.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

RED

Like: Just as red sits on top of the rainbow, you like to stay on top of things. You have a zest for life. Remember that red can speed up the pulse, increase the respiration rate and raise blood pressure. It is associated with fire, heat, and blood, so it is impossible to ignore. And so are you (or would like to be).

The key words associated with red are winner, achiever, intense, impulsive, active, competitive, daring, aggressive and passionate. Red people are exciting, animated, optimistic, emotional and extroverted. Desire is the key word, they hunger for fullness of experience and living.

Now that you have all the good news, let's hear it for the bad news. Since you crave so much excitement in your life, routine can drive you bananas. Restlessness can make you fickle in your pursuit of new things to turn you on. It is hard for you to be objective and you can be opinionated. You have a tendency to listen to what others tell you and then do whatever you please. Patience is not one of your virtues.

However, you are an exciting person to be with, and always stimulating. The world would be a dull place without red people.
http://www.wwwearables.com/techniques/color.htm
Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey

You're right. Look at the end of the valve cover... looks like one Cam gear.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zoopa
I find it interesting how the engineers at Honda/Acura like to use Milano Red when they show case new technology, in this case a more efficient, powerful and advanced engine.

Because they know it's the Euro Accord's/TSX's best color
Old 09-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Driver/Detailer

Originally Posted by moda_way
It's DOHC.

The DOHC i-VTEC I engine also had that bump for the VTC. Haven't you all seen an SOHC Honda engine before? The entire end has a round profile.

Right side on this pic:
Old 09-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
You can still have two overhead camshafts and just one pulley. Engines like that rely on the driven camshaft to turn the other one (via a gear mounted on each shaft). However in the picture there's clearly room for two pulleys.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Racer

my feeling is that advanced vtec is merely i-vtec updated with continuously varaible lift and phasing.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
my feeling is that advanced vtec is merely i-vtec updated with continuously varaible lift and phasing.
As long as this means improved power while also improving gas mileage and emissions, I'm cool with that.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Driver/Detailer

It's i-vtec with continously variable lift. LOL.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Racer

It's i-vtec with continously variable lift. LOL.
right right, I'm thinking increased degrees of phasing too though.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Originally Posted by EuRTSX

Outside of NA there's not really an MY per se - you can have all kinds of configurations within a certain time period.

Quick Reply: Advanced VTEC Engine in Euro R Accord