Acura TSX vs. Nissan Altima SE-R

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altima, TSX, and Mitsi Galant SE were cars I was looking at before purchase. The Altima got two test drives before I bought the TSX. (Not even close for the Galant)TSX best bang for the buck IMO, didn't hurt that it was screaming take me home as I drove it. 5 weeks and I still can't get this stupid grin off my face.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Advanced

If the Altima is a big fat bloated pig, what about cars like the RL, M45, GS, let alone SUVs?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by g35doc
If the Altima is a big fat bloated pig, what about cars like the RL, M45, GS, let alone SUVs?
true...

when comparing sedans similiar to the tsx (altima, accord, etc.), i don't think the exterior size difference is that big. maybe with just the way the exterior is designed in the altima, it seems bigger than it actually is when one is behind the wheel.

i like the g35 sedan. too bad i didn't get a chance to test drive it though.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
true...

when comparing sedans similiar to the tsx (altima, accord, etc.), i don't think the exterior size difference is that big. maybe with just the way the exterior is designed in the altima, it seems bigger than it actually is when one is behind the wheel.

No disagreement on my part that the Altima is a boat in terms of size. I'm actually surprised it's so light. The TSX is still kind of heavy IMO but it felt light the couple of times I've driven it. Too bad it doesn't come with better tires. I love the fact that my beautiful Elantra is an anorexic 2700 lbs. The G coupe/sedan are definitely overweight and feel like it, but still have excellent handling (slight edge for the coupe of course). The coupe pulled .91g and 66.7mph slalom in Motor Trend (I think).
Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35C out handles a 330 sport package. Sick.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Ontilt
Yeah, I was just going to say that they weigh about the same.
The actual weight doesn't necessairly translate into the weight you feel when driving the car.

The Accord V6 is lighter than the TSX (I think) but it definitely feels heavier. The G35 is probably about the same as the TSX but it feels like a boat.

When I first drove the TSX it almost felt like the weight of a Civic! It just cuts through the road like a scalpel, unlike these other cars.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
When I first drove the TSX it almost felt like the weight of a Civic! It just cuts through the road like a scalpel, unlike these other cars.
Wow. I really didn't think the TSX felt light at all when I test drove it. In fact, I thought the TSX felt heavier than my brother's 96 Nissan Maxima. Not surprising since the TSX actually is pretty heavy at around 3,300 lbs for a fairly compact 4 cylinder sedan.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

true...

Actually the Altima is positively HUGE compared to the TSX. Altima's wheelbase is 5" longer. Overall length is 9" longer and width is 1" wider. Height is the same for both cars. The Altima is bigger than even the TL on both the outside and the inside.

Despite this huge difference in size, the Altima is essentially the same weight as the TSX. Both are right around 3,300 lbs.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Pimpin Ain't Easy

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Actually the Altima is positively HUGE compared to the TSX. Altima's wheelbase is 5" longer. Overall length is 9" longer and width is 1" wider. Height is the same for both cars. The Altima is bigger than even the TL on both the outside and the inside.

Despite this huge difference in size, the Altima is essentially the same weight as the TSX. Both are right around 3,300 lbs.
That just means the TSX is a more solidly built car!
Old 06-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Advanced

Maybe it's the steering/suspension that makes some heavy cars feel light, and vice versa.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, tight suspension makes a car feel lighter, as a lot of body roll feels, to the driver, like they're driving a Buick.

I have never liked the Altima, as like most others I too think it looks massive. It's all just sheet metal, though.

I drove a G35 sedan for a week while on vacation in Florida. I now drive a TSX, even though the G35 was about $4K (CDN) cheaper. I liked the power of the G35 but the handling wasn't that great (it was nice, but not as nimble as the TSX), and the interior felt REALLY CHEAP. Looked pretty nice, but the fit and finish was so-so, and I managed to break the armrest on the 3rd day I had it. Very poorly constructed trim pieces, too.

~Eric
Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I almost bougth a 05 Altima SE 3.5 manual before I got my Mazda6. I put a lot of miles on it, the dealer let me take it home overnight. I know weight and specs say the Nissan is not heavy compared to its rivals but its feels hugh. Just the exterior designs and steering feels adds pounds to it. It feels like a boat on steroids.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by calgary2800
I almost bougth a 05 Altima SE 3.5 manual before I got my Mazda6. I put a lot of miles on it, the dealer let me take it home overnight. I know weight and specs say the Nissan is not heavy compared to its rivals but its feels hugh. Just the exterior designs and steering feels adds pounds to it. It feels like a boat on steroids.
mazda6 was also a car i was considering before buying the tsx. i do like the styling, and the v6 seemed more than adequate.

how do you like it so far? any pet peeves regarding interior fit, design, engine, etc.?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro

mazda6 was also a car i was considering before buying the tsx. i do like the styling, and the v6 seemed more than adequate.

how do you like it so far? any pet peeves regarding interior fit, design, engine, etc.?
I got the Mazda6s V6 stick shift. I only have 400 miles on it. Its is one smooth ride. Its is considered a mid size car but once you get it going its feels like its a small car like a Corolla or Civic. The engine is butter smooth, loves to rev and the shifting action is easy. Needs to be revved just like the TSX to get it going though. Thats why I like, I like to rev out my cars.

As for pet peeves, I only have one, my clutch squeaks sometimes, the dealer cant find a problem but its there. Happens maybe 25% of time. Other than that, its can be had for cheap. I got mine for invoice and a 2100 rebate. Oh, and stay away from the cloth seats, they suck feel like burlap. I got the leather package.

On paper the 6 has more power than the TSX at a much lower price. I like that. Now if only my clutch would shut up.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the Mazda6s V6 stick shift. I only have 400 miles on it. Its is one smooth ride. Its is considered a mid size car but once you get it going its feels like its a small car like a Corolla or Civic. The engine is butter smooth, loves to rev and the shifting action is easy. Needs to be revved just like the TSX to get it going though. Thats why I like, I like to rev out my cars.

As for pet peeves, I only have one, my clutch squeaks sometimes, the dealer cant find a problem but its there. Happens maybe 25% of time. Other than that, its can be had for cheap. I got mine for invoice and a 2100 rebate. Oh, and stay away from the cloth seats, they suck feel like burlap. I got the leather package.

On paper the 6 has more power than the TSX at a much lower price. I like that. Now if only my clutch would shut up.
I really need to congratulate you on your avatar.

Now. The 6 may well have more power than the TSX, but that's on paper only. Fact is that the TSX can outaccelerate a Mazda 6 from a standing start.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Drifting

I got the Mazda6s V6 stick shift. I only have 400 miles on it. Its is one smooth ride. Its is considered a mid size car but once you get it going its feels like its a small car like a Corolla or Civic...
really...

ya, i was looking at the top-of-the-line mazda6 5MT. nice looking car. i just don't like spoilers. i think cars look more sleek without them, even more so when they are lowered.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceman
I really need to congratulate you on your avatar.

Now. The 6 may well have more power than the TSX, but that's on paper only. Fact is that the TSX can outaccelerate a Mazda 6 from a standing start.
Well, if we want to compare apples to apples, Car & Driver had sub 7-second times for the Mazda 6 in its tests and 7.3-7.5 for the TSX.

But if you're saying the TSX can outaccelerate a Mazda 6, I guess it can - if the TSX driver is better
Old 06-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Would you say the same about the engine if you were driving a Taurus, because that's essentially where it came from.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by psteng19
Would you say the same about the engine if you were driving a Taurus, because that's essentially where it came from.
True, the Mazda6 v6 is based on the Ford Duratec v6 but its is tuned by Mazda. And as we all know Mazda goes for fun in its cars now. That sucker revs fast.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
But if you're saying the TSX can outaccelerate a Mazda 6, I guess it can - if the TSX driver is better
I guess you must be right about that. (OK, /Backpatting)