Acura Reneges on Navi Upgrade Pledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Acura Reneges on Navi Upgrade Pledge

As many of you now know... I have had substantial difficulty with my TSX. Rattles that have repeatedly not been fixed... a windshield that needed to be replaced... a sliding driver's seat... and now my center console displays have died.

After being told that my radio may take up to two months to fix or replace, an Acura service professional informed me that the factory had authorized a brand new DVD Navigation system to be installed in my vehicle. Not only that, but the part would arrive the next morning. He had me confirm the interior color number because I would need entirely new trim parts to fit the new system in. He also stated that I was being put in front of approximately 37 other dealerships and that I would get this part first. Since my TSX was purchased without the Navi... I felt that this was an appropriate and thoughtful act on Acura's part.

After one week of being told that the parts arrival was imminent, I finally demanded answers from the Assistant Manager of the Service Department. He assured me that I would be getting the DVD Navigation system and that we was aware that my car only had the stock radio and CD changer. He again informed me that the parts would be arriving the next day.

Today the service center I have been working with apparently revoked the offer. Additionally, I was informed that the parts were on critical back order and that it could take several months to get them. I am back at square one.

Earlier today I was livid. Now I am much calmer and I am exploring my options, both unofficial and legal. I will NOT discuss my legal plans at this time, but merely that it relies upon one or more sound legal principals with appropriate citable authority. Additionally, although many oral contracts are unenforceable, the promise to provide me with the DVD Navigation system was done on my voicemail, and I have a copy. (Which I may but most likely will not post in MP3 format.)

Overall my experience with Acura has been an extremely negative one. From Acura dealerships refusing to honor my financing by alleging that PeopleFirst had engaged in fraud, to the numerous problems with my car, to rude Acura America phone representatives, to this current problem... I must say this is not what I expected when I purchased an Acura. For several years now I have held the Acura brand in the highest regard. As a brand that cultivated an image of prestige and promised "total luxury care" for the buyers of its product, I feel that my experience does not live up to the expectations that myself and other owners have come to expect from a company like Acura. I will be pursuing non-official means of resolution in the immediate future, and I hope that Acura USA will be able to help me resolve my issues and give me all that I wanted to begin with... to be a proud Acura driver.

Cheers,
Crazytree
Old 03-24-2004, 08:50 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just smile and think of all of those TSX's that rolled over on the train wreck last weekend- it may offer short term gratification. If it means anything to you I had SERIOUS problems with a new cadillac 4 years ago(makes your problems look like nothing, yea that bad) and it took a LONG LONG time to get things taken care of. It was very frustrating I understand most of what your going through and it sucks. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

that sucks crazytree. my parents new rx330 had problems for ONE month and after a few calls Lexus replaced it with a new one. Im not impressed with Acura either.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Racer

That sux dude...

If you are financing or leasing the car, consider contacting someone from client relations at acura, or whatever they call that rep and demand in writing for them to credit you for the payments being made on the car while it remains in this condition. After all, you bought an Acura with Nav, you're paying for an Acura with nav, but right now, you just have an Acura. It's not right for you to keep your end of the finance agreement when Acura clearly hasn't been living up to their car-in-full-working-order end. When I was financing my first car back in '99, it was brand new 1.8T A4 which at only 2K miles the entire radio head unit died. Like in your case, this part was also on backorder and it didn't arrive for another 3 months. So for 3 months, I was driving a $30K audi with no sound system and paying for it. I contacted Audi Client relations and in addition wrote a long-winded letter. After some dialogue with a rep, they eventually mailed me a check re-imbursing 3 months of my car payments together with a very apologetic letter that ended with something along the lines of "we hope you will continue to consider an Audi in your future vehicle purchases..." I was quite surprised of the result considering I didn't expect much.

They want your business. It may take a bit more nudging, but I'm sure someone at Acura corporate wants to make you happy.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned

Allow me to apologize for not being clear in my initial post. I purchased a TSX without a navigation system, and I was offered one in consideration of all the problems I was having. Editing now for the sake of clarity.

Thank God for voicemail or else I would have ZERO chance of getting anything. Good idea on the "payment compensation" issue... although I am financing through Chase.

I now need to write Acura a very "friendly" letter. Still need to decide if I should commence arbitration now or wait for Acura to respond to my issues. Come to think of it... I just wrote a five-page legal brief while I was pissed. Maybe I should go back and make sure I didn't write anything "inappropriate".
Old 03-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Master in Science

Good luck!

By the way, I filed a complaint online with the NHTSA about the seat moving during hard turns and brakes and they called me back within 24 hrs asking for the VIN of my car. I wish more people would bring this issue to the NHTSA's attention. Maybe Acura would issue a recall or service advisory and get the cars fixed! But first everyone needs to bring it to the government's attention...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Hey it's free and only takes a minute. GO AND TELL THEM!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:40 PM
has been here awhile

Dude...really really really sorry about the TSX. I'm sure that it doesn't help with wanting another Acura or to even get yours fixed. Whatever happens, I hope you get the problem squared away--whether that means jumping ship, or getting a new TSX or getting yours fixed.

I'd dump the car--tell Acura to take it back. Reliability is a KEY factor in purchasing a Japanese automobile, and further, preferred service is also key when buying a LUXURY automobile. If you didn't care about reliability, you would have bought a European car...if you didn't care about preferred service, you would have just bought a Honda. Acura MUST resolve your issue and should be doing ALL that they possibly can to fix it.

Anyway, there is always the option of "accidentally" leaving your vehicle un-locked in a bad part of town, with the keys in it. Don't worry...just joking...

Anyway, again--really sorry about your poor experience w/ your TSX. I KNOW that it will get fixed...one way or another.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Crazy,

How exactly did they renege on the navi offer? Did they deny they ever offered it to you or did they say they weren't going to because the parts were too hard to get? I'm on your side man, believe me. I'm just curious.

BTW, have you tried to track down a regional service manager of any sort?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Banned

Today they told me they made a mistake and that they thought I already had the Navi... although I told them 10x I didn't. They could have spent 2 seconds on the computer to check out the problem... even if this was a mistake. If this was a mistake why did he want the interior color so he could order new plastic trim?

I called Acura USA today and as usual the person was rude and unhelpful. Supposedly a regional supervisor is supposed to call me in the next few days.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I called Acura USA today and as usual the person was rude and unhelpful.
I've talked to them myself, and I agree, these people are complete jerk offs. My last three new cars were all Acuras or Hondas, but with all these TSX issues and Acura USA's inability to fix them, I'll consider jumping to another brand for my next vehicle.

I wish you all the luck in the world Crazytree.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Banned

I'm seriously considering putting a website up with step-by-step instructions on how to have your car declared a lemon and how to force arbitration.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:20 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally posted by Crazytree
I'm seriously considering putting a website up with step-by-step instructions on how to have your car declared a lemon and how to force arbitration.
The only problem with that is the laws are different from state to state so it would only be good for Ca. residents and even then the laws do change from time to time and the site would need updating fairly frequently. And trust me having gone through what your going through, once the car is gone you are NEVER going to want to deal with this sh!t again.