Acura to offer iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Professional Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura to offer iPod integration

I'm a mac freak, and I've been keeping up with apple's press conference today. At the moment there is a new iPod, revised iTunes, and Honda and Acura will start offering iPod integration along with Audi and VW. No more information yet, though if anybody else can find some let me know.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4102145&EDATE=

iPod Integration Now Available from 15 Car Companies Around the World

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple(R) today announced
it has teamed up with Acura, Audi, Honda and Volkswagen to deliver iPod(R)
integration with their car stereos for 2006 model lines. Seamless integration
of iPods in cars allows music lovers to enjoy high-quality sound through their
car's stereo system, easily access their entire music library and take their
music with them everywhere they go. There are now 15 car companies around the
world offering iPod integration, and more than 5 million cars will ship with
iPod support in the US in 2006.
"We're thrilled to team up with Acura, Audi, Honda and Volkswagen to
provide drivers with a seamless iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's
vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "Car companies are
embracing the iPod, and over 30 percent of the cars sold in the US in 2006
will offer iPod integration."
The Honda and Acura Music Link iPod integrations will be the first to
include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, which is used to search for
playlists, artist and album names or genre information. Acura and Honda will
feature iPod integration in the majority of their lineup beginning later this
year.

Beginning in November, Audi will feature iPod integration in the A3, A4
and TT models and Volkswagen will offer iPod integration for the majority of
their 2006 US lineup.
iPod and iTunes(R) are leading the digital music revolution, providing the
best way to listen to music on the go, at home and in the car. With over 21
million iPods sold, the iPod is the world's most popular digital music player
and the iTunes Music Store is the number one online music store with over 500
million songs purchased and downloaded worldwide.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple
II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh.
Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-
winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and
professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music
revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

NOTE: Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, iPod and iTunes are
trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of
their respective owners.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds very good. From what I've heard, the interface might be a little slow because of limitations with the Ipod, but other than that, should be awesome!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm a llama :(

Wouldn't it be MP3 player integration, not iPod integration. I hate how people throw that name like it somehow makes it special. Someone else brought up that he saw some cheap ass headphones that said "iPod compatible." Really? I better get them!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Holy crap...I didn't think I would be sorry for getting my 2005, now I am thinking when the lease is up... ...oh baby...
Old 09-07-2005, 01:55 PM

When your lease is up, get the 08 that should be redesigned showing up in 07 maybe.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Motohip
Wouldn't it be MP3 player integration, not iPod integration. I hate how people throw that name like it somehow makes it special. Someone else brought up that he saw some cheap ass headphones that said "iPod compatible." Really? I better get them!
Well since Apple announced this, I would have to assume it *is* iPod Integration, but I know what you mean.. I own a iRiver which I feel is superior to the iPod in many ways, but sometimes you can't argue with popularity.. Consumers will decide in the long run..

- g
Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 PM
HOWARD911S

check this out! but if someone get XM and get this, imagine the wires!!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=133704&c=1&cm_re=submarquee-_-The%20world's%20first%20fully%20integrated%20mobil e%20iPod%20interface-_-Pre-order%20today%20#marquee
Old 09-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts

perhaps you should try reading the part in bold before going off like a llama
Old 09-07-2005, 02:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Astroboy
perhaps you should try reading the part in bold before going off like a llama
Thanks Astroboy, at least one of you guys in this forum can read. It appears to have an "IPOD" connector. If you read the press release it says users will be able to search for Artist and Track names "using voice recognition "
Old 09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Some would say they already DO offer iPod compatibility....

Don't have the voice recognition stuff though, but I do have the XM (albeit aftermarket...)

Old 09-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Oh, and MadManMax, what type of Mac do you have? I bought a 80GB Mini (Airport, Bluetooth, DVD Burner, Wireless Mac keyboard/Mouse, and Dell 17" flatscreen) in May/June...I LOVE it, compared to the shitty Windows stuff I had been using. Also got Microsoft Office to bring work home, and I will be upgrading to the new two-button mouse when they offer a BT one, as well as the Tiger OS when I get some spare $$.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 PM
taf
Advanced

Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link accessory to our Acura customers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Acura accessory marketing. "Acura vehicles are equipped with the latest audio technology and we are pleased to expand the audio experience to iPod users."

"We're thrilled to team up with Acura, to provide drivers with a seamless iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod product marketing. "Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30% of the cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Acura Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment. The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation charge. Acura Music Link is backed by a full Acura factory warranty. Consumers should check with Acura dealers for specific restrictions.

iPod's are available at in the U.S. through the Apple Store(R) at www.apple.com and at selected retail outlets.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Professional Newbie

so what do you guys think, will us '04s and '05s be able to do it?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Professional Newbie

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
Oh, and MadManMax, what type of Mac do you have? I bought a 80GB Mini (Airport, Bluetooth, DVD Burner, Wireless Mac keyboard/Mouse, and Dell 17" flatscreen) in May/June...I LOVE it, compared to the shitty Windows stuff I had been using. Also got Microsoft Office to bring work home, and I will be upgrading to the new two-button mouse when they offer a BT one, as well as the Tiger OS when I get some spare $$.
I have a few, the 17" Powerbook, the dual 2.5Ghz G5, as well as a few older ones. I do have a PC also, yet hate it, glad you're liking your mac. As far as mice, I'd say you're better off going with a logitech or a microsoft mouse, I bought the "Mighty Mouse" and was unimpressed. PM me anytime if you have a Mac-related question I'll be happy to help!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM

I don't know that I would necessarily WANT to have the iPod voice-linked to the car. I think the standard Nav voice commands are already pretty slow, and that is using standard phraseology, so trying to tell the iPod "Play Bon Jovi Living On a Prayer" would probably take FOREVER to process.

I DO know that I want the new Bluetooth phone setup for my '04, that is the main thing I am jealous of the TL/RL/MDX/06 TSX for. I wonder how much THAT would cost to add.

Speaking of which, how long before Apple releases a BT iPod? Seems like that would be an awesome solution, to have both BT head phones and a BT link to the car stereo. It would put an end to all the compatibility issues. Is BT able to broadcast full-frequency (20-20kHz)??

MadMan, what didn't you like about the mighty mouse? If your explanation is too long/not appropriate for this thread, feel free to PM me. I'd rather go with an Apple product, if for no other reason than superior aesthetics. It ticks me off that I have a black Dell monitor (couldn't afford the Apple ones) that doesn't match the rest of my stuff.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:25 PM

Actually, on second read, I think I might have it backwards....

Text-to-speech probably means the car will speak to you, not you to the car, to remove the distracting visual interface. This could create all kinds of interesting possibilities, from the car reading things like "Can I get a Fuck You by Jay-Z" to re-naming songs whatever you want. Then you could play them, and by way of introduction it would read whatever you named the song. You could start every day with a song named "Good Morning you Sexy Bitch How Are You?" so that the hot female voice (mine is named Allie, after my sales lady) reads it to you when you get in.

The possibilities are endless, although I don't think it would be worth it to me over my current setup. I'll look into it when it comes out though...
Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude that rapes!!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wclark
dude that rapes!!
Since when is rape a good thing?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Well I'd rather have the stereo plug on the HU plain and simple, I have an iPod cradle on the dash of my company car and a 3.5mm stereo plug on the faceplate of it's JVC aftermarket radio, with the iPod at your finger tips who needs a complicated interface to navigate the stupid simple OS of the iPod?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by theElio
Since when is rape a good thing?
Yeah, that's a horible term to use. That's like, "dude, that molests!"
Old 09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
10th Gear

Wonder if it will show track titles on the the HU? Otherwise it doesn't seem much different then the existing Dension unit. Wonder whats so different about the TSX headunit that this isn't being offered in the Accord.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Any chance of current owners getting the system upgraded to support the integration?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Instructor

06 04/05

(just kidding...)

it's cool, but let's see how well it works...
i love my ipod and i love xm, but i wonder if i'd really use the ipod AND the xm???

i guess on trips and such, maybe

we'll find out in december....
Old 09-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Professional Newbie

MadMan, what didn't you like about the mighty mouse? If your explanation is too long/not appropriate for this thread, feel free to PM me. I'd rather go with an Apple product, if for no other reason than superior aesthetics. It ticks me off that I have a black Dell monitor (couldn't afford the Apple ones) that doesn't match the rest of my stuff.
fairly simple answer, I use AIM a lot and the Mighty Mouse causes it to crash ("unexpectedly quit"), also I've had an issue several times with the right/left click being recognized by the computer. It could just be that I've grown so accustomed to my Logitech trackball, but I can't seem to migrate to apple's new mouse
Old 09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Racer

LMFAO,

WAR iPOD. WAR ACURA. WAR 2006 MODEL.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Racer

btw,

what kind of a faggot ass company with 3% market share decides to make a big deal about a "2 button mouse." I know apple invented the Mouse and shit, but WTF MATE get a grip I've had a 3 Button mouse since Windows 3.1 days.

Microsoft > 4apples (even the edible ones)

aesthetic looks
If you're that superficial and think looks supersede performance and efficiency and actually APPRECIATE deliberately buying an inferior product then go buy flowers and shit, because FOOD IS NOT AESTHETICALLY PLEASING.

TARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's a horible term to use. That's like, "dude, that molests!"
you obviously don't understand the context, it means its insanely awesome. Anyone how plays online games would know. I saw a guy who posted "That Roxxors" and thats an online gaming term.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Racer

Roxxors and rape are completely different terms. To trivialize rape is to normalize acts of horrific cruelty.
We understand the context completely, but wholeheartedly disagree with the choice of terminology.

On the latter flame,
every person has a different equation in their mind to assign a product's final value to them. While you may have a very low appreciation of aesthetics, the flamee may have a high appreciation of aesthetics that influence his decision-making. To insult someone who appreciates aesthetics is to insult most TSX members here, as we do place a high value on how our car is perceived (by ourselves and others), both visually and otherwise. To further devalue your point, flowers "and shit" are not substitute products for food and so, you can't even compare them. Lastly, unless you, sir, are eating handfuls of shit, most of the food you eat should be aesthetically pleasing as well.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by z-tec
it's cool, but let's see how well it works...
i love my ipod and i love xm, but i wonder if i'd really use the ipod AND the xm???

i guess on trips and such, maybe
I have the switch to choose between XM and the iPod mounted in my glovebox, so it's a minor pain to switch back and forth between the two. Originally, I was annoyed the installer put it there, but honestly, I don't change that often. I would listen to the iPod for 4 or 5 days, get tired of it, switch to the XM for a week, then go back to the iPod, or to a cd or something. Not like I go back and forth between songs, but it's nice to have both as an option.

As for that other flame, WTF man, sorry, I just like things that look nice, and Apple stuff looks nice (and is generally well designed) to me. I tend to buy things that are attractive, but occasionally functionality will win out. One reason I bought the TSX was because I thought it a very clean and stylish car, and the interior was the most beautiful that I could afford. Sorry if this offends your sensibilities. Did you forget to take your medicine today?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Instructor

I have the switch to choose between XM and the iPod mounted in my glovebox, so it's a minor pain to switch back and forth between the two. Originally, I was annoyed the installer put it there, but honestly, I don't change that often. I would listen to the iPod for 4 or 5 days, get tired of it, switch to the XM for a week, then go back to the iPod, or to a cd or something. Not like I go back and forth between songs, but it's nice to have both as an option.

As for that other flame, WTF man, sorry, I just like things that look nice, and Apple stuff looks nice (and is generally well designed) to me. I tend to buy things that are attractive, but occasionally functionality will win out. One reason I bought the TSX was because I thought it a very clean and stylish car, and the interior was the most beautiful that I could afford. Sorry if this offends your sensibilities. Did you forget to take your medicine today?

vpat, you got
Old 09-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vpat25
btw,

what kind of a faggot ass company with 3% market share decides to make a big deal about a "2 button mouse." I know apple invented the Mouse and shit, but WTF MATE get a grip I've had a 3 Button mouse since Windows 3.1 days.

Microsoft > 4apples (even the edible ones)

If you're that superficial and think looks supersede performance and efficiency and actually APPRECIATE deliberately buying an inferior product then go buy flowers and shit, because FOOD IS NOT AESTHETICALLY PLEASING.

TARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umm, I'm the first one to agree that Apple computers, on a whole, are inferior, but man it sounds like you've got a serious bug up your ass.. I love my "wheelie mouse" but the length of time the one-button mouse survived actually says a lot about the simplicity and ease of use of Apple's operating systems.. Buying an ugly system is not preferred over buying a pretty one, otherwise we'd all still be using PCs that are that god awful beige color..

How did this turn into an "I hate macs, I hate PCs" thread anyway?

- g
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dude that rapes!!
worst. slang. term. i've. ever. heard.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 PM

you obviously don't understand the context, it means its insanely awesome. Anyone how plays online games would know. I saw a guy who posted "That Roxxors" and thats an online gaming term.
I understand it. I still think it's horrible. Roxxors, fuxored, fubared, pwned, l33t, el33t, etc. I've heard them. But rape is not something you want to change into a possitive because it's not. What about pedophile? Should we change that into slang? Saying something "rapes" is not cool and it's not something to even joke around with. You truly show your age with that comment.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Professional Newbie

talk about a hijacked thread....

hopefully we'll have some more info soon, for now we just gotta keep checking

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ipodyourcar/
Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
this thread has run it's course.

feel free to continue discussion about the Acura & Apple partnership here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...wpost&t=318236