Acura Navi question (yet again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura Navi question (yet again)

Guys

I know this question has been asked over and over again. Although I could not resist the temptation and I am positive there may be some more newbies like me who are equally frustrated with this particular aspect of navigation system. Here is the situation:

I wanted to go an optics store, named Lenscrafters, which I knew was in the vicinity (about 7-8 miles) from where I live. I had a faint idea about the location. Before leaving house, It did not occur to me to get the exact address and moreover i thought I had the navigation system, so it should not be that hard to find it..To make things complicated, I forgot my cell phone at home.

Now, I struggled with navigation system for about 15 minutes but it would not give me the location of the nearest Lenscrafters. The closest store shown was about 200 miles away.

Now, here are my questions:

1. Is the Navi system not really meant for looking up a place by its name?
2. Why is it that it would show up a place 200 miles away where it knows the location of the car exactly?
3. Could I have done anything at all to get the navi to work?

I tried numerous options, like going to advanced category etc but nothign worked out. Now, as I said i know this is already a much talked about issue, but i am specially curious about my second question here.

Thanks guys
tsx_07

P.S I have an 06 TSX and yes, i finally ended up at the store myself after 10-15 minutes of driving around.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Clueless

I would ask how long has that particular Lenscrafters been in it's location? This is the only drawback with a dvd based system. My little Garmin I5 updates via my computer. Acura wants you to buy a new dvd for $185.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

TSX_07, yes, that's happened to to me also, I knew where the place was at , So I decided to give it a try anyway ! I entered it by place name etc,...but not by phone #, and I couldn't find it... , and yes it gave me a location in another town! there's just so much info out there and it 's too comphrehensive for these program writer's to get everything......but your not the only one! so don't feel left out !.......the updated DVD from ACURA I've seen on the ACURA website is avalible for $185!
Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Try asking for a post office....the first entry is 7 miles away for me, when there's one half a block from my work lol (I was trying to get the 2nd closest post office since it has a drive-by drop-off box

I don't think it sorts the data by vicinity...it seems to pull it off the order it was inputted or something
Old 12-04-2006, 02:28 AM
6th Gear

I've run into the same problem as well, I search for "K5" and it gives me some store in some distant state.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by frank b
I would ask how long has that particular Lenscrafters been in it's location? This is the only drawback with a dvd based system. My little Garmin I5 updates via my computer. Acura wants you to buy a new dvd for $185.
The lenscrafters store has been there for the past 5-6 years and my DVD software might not be the most recent one but it is a 2006 car..As I mentioned, the most annoying part is, navi knows the location of the car, doesn't it? inspite of that, it would give a store 300 miles away, that is frustrating.

the other day, i was trying to input "WAL-MART" and it simply won't show up the nearest one. the closest walmart as per Navi was 125 miles away somewhere in IL.
I think the conclusion is, if you are going to lookup a place by its name, then God help you. However, if you have the exact address, then navi works well.

I still hope somebody proves me wrong

Thanks for your replies though, guys

tsx_07
Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the nav is really stupid in that regard. The reason it gave you one 200 miles away is that that is the closest one it found for you.

It might be listed under Lens Crafters, or Lens-Crafters. I know I ran into that problem with Walmart and Wal-Mart and then under the wal-mart listing there is about 10 subcategories and divisions within that. It's really kind of ridiculous. What it really needs is a "Did You Mean?" like Google does.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BananaFusion
It might be listed under Lens Crafters, or Lens-Crafters. I know I ran into that problem with Walmart and Wal-Mart and then under the wal-mart listing there is about 10 subcategories and divisions within that.

I tried all options that day..wasting about 20 minutes. That's why it was so irritating.
Stupid idea - But I was thinking of contacting dealership (would they have any idea or solution) or even Acura. I mean is it possible that there is a small trick somewhere which we are missing..
Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The data used for the Navi is pulled off public directories. If you have ever tried to look up something in the phone book you can see the myraid abbreviations for the same store. The Navi is a computer so Wal*Mart does not equal Wal Mart nor Wal-Mart. Another example would be McDonald's - it can be listed as McDnlds MacDonald McDonalds of Oklahoma County, etc. Blame the data compilation company. And yes, I have successfully used the Navi to locate things without knowing their spelling or location. Using FIND NEAREST can help greatly. Sometimes you have to be persistent with the abbreviations/combinations. The best results would probably be a phone number match.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stevestr
The data used for the Navi is pulled off public directories. If you have ever tried to look up something in the phone book you can see the myraid abbreviations for the same store. The Navi is a computer so Wal*Mart does not equal Wal Mart nor Wal-Mart. Another example would be McDonald's - it can be listed as McDnlds MacDonald McDonalds of Oklahoma County, etc. Blame the data compilation company. And yes, I have successfully used the Navi to locate things without knowing their spelling or location. Using FIND NEAREST can help greatly. Sometimes you have to be persistent with the abbreviations/combinations. The best results would probably be a phone number match.
it truly is amazing how many different ways the names are stored.

if you really want to see the Navi fail, try finding a Dunkin' Donuts store.

I've tried so many times, and hardly ever get a close result. There's one every 2 miles in NJ. it's terrible.

I'm sure there are some tricks to it that we are missing.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Advanced

^
I wish so too, but more i search, i find more and more people complaining about this. e.g. go to TL forum--navigation --you will find the exact same problem posted by somebody on the first page itself..in this case, it is about mcdonalds.