"Acura Music Link" (iPod) for TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Acura Music Link" (iPod) for TSX

I bought the TSX in large part because of the promised iPod integration that's now largely considered a flop. Having just bought the car I was able to tell all the survey folks calling to ask about my "satisfaction" how UNHAPPY I am that the company has mislead, misrepresented, and falsely advertised this feature.

I'm hoping that if they hear this enough, if it becomes a big enough embarrassment, that MAYBE they'll engineer a fix. Who's with me? Call ACURA and log a complaint. I did.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:47 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with you, but it's not gonna get you anywhere IMO
Old 01-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I agree with you, but it's not gonna get you anywhere IMO
I think they just need to hear that a lot of people actually care. Would you please call in a complaint even if you don't THINK it will help?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by HollywoodTSX
I bought the TSX in large part because of the promised iPod integration that's now largely considered a flop.
I can understand your disappointment (even though I hate Apple and iPods ), but you based buying a TSX largely on an optional iPod integration with little concrete information on it?!
I don't know about you, but I bought a car, not a stereo. For me, stuff like this is a relatively minor factor in my buying decision. I hope you love the rest of the car, though, because it's still a great car.

I'm not sure about misleading, misrepresenting, and falsely advertising this feature, though. All the official material I've seen/read describing the MusicLink has been fulfilled. Maybe not to a high quality, but the features are there from the reviews written by other members.
But, I would complain anyway. It definitely sounds like it needs some serious improvements.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Out n about

Yes, I would agree with all of you. I bought the car because of it's quality, but the brochure shows the ipod integrated in the center console. I was excited when I saw this...but it's just another mini-plug. It works fine (I know, not as good quality as true line out), but it would have been better if we could have full integration (names of songs showing up on the radio, radio controls, etc.) Of course, I could probably fork out another $250 bucks for that kit...but why should I have to do that?! In the mean time, I'll just enjoy this beautiful little car.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Luke 1:37

You purchased the TSX mainly because of the ipod integration???
Old 01-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sojournin
...but it's just another mini-plug. It works fine (I know, not as good quality as true line out),.
What does this mean? What is a true line out?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swirlie
I can understand your disappointment (even though I hate Apple and iPods ), but you based buying a TSX largely on an optional iPod integration with little concrete information on it?!
What's more "concrete" than press releases and advertising that they put in writing?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by virtualbong
You purchased the TSX mainly because of the ipod integration???
Yes, that was definately a deciding factor. My goal was to buy the best priced car that included BT, Nav, and iPod. I made a decision based on claims by Acura that the car had a feature available that it does not. That's about as fraudulent as it gets.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sojournin
Of course, I could probably fork out another $250 bucks for that kit...but why should I have to do that?!
You can't even do that anymore. The Music Link has a glitch with XM, so it has been rendered "not compatible" with the 06 TSX. The 05 apparently doesn't have any problem, however.

As for me, I bought the car, in part, because of the potential integration (aux in and music link). While I bought a car (car characteristics being the most important), and not a stereo, music is very important to my ability to enjoy the car. After moving to an ipod for my very large music collection there is no turning back, and I'd be willing to settle for even a cassette (for a cassette adaptor) player.

So many models don't have any way to link in an aux music player (our other car is a Subaru and there is literally no way to get an aux connection but to crack open the HU and grab a soldering iron) ... but auto makers are coming around ever so slowly as the design process begins to recognize the value of integration (and don't forget about the long lead-time for design/parts creation of a car).

I too lodged a complaint with Acura. The hype is completely disconnected from the reality. Let's hope Acura gets this fixed.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what I want, Acura:

An Ipod dock in the center console that would display ID3 tags onscreen. Or, a built-in hard drive that could be loaded via flash memory (CF, MMC, SD, MS, etc.) or 802.11, with onscreen ID3 tag info. None of this would be difficult to implement (I believe someone has already made an aftermarket system to load a trunk mounted hard drive via 802.11 - can't remember the name of it.)

I'd say this is the wave of the future: jump on; but in fact this is the wave of a few years ago: catch up. Why must technology in cars lag behind consumer technology? Be the first car manufacturer to implement a system like this and watch the accolades roll in.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Instructor

lol that might be a lil too fantacisted... i think its just best and more economically feasible to have a ipod connection in the handrest compartment(which is also good so potential thieves wont break your window and steal ur ipod in case u forgot to put it away) and the playlists, shuffle songs, artists, etc. could be acessed by the radio/navi menu. doesnt cost too much money and is just mostly software so an upgrade/integration would not be too hard... then thus u will have a perfectly integrated ipod in a car.

p.s. HINT HINT ACURA
Old 02-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Beoshingus
Here's what I want, Acura:

An Ipod dock in the center console that would display ID3 tags onscreen. Or, a built-in hard drive that could be loaded via flash memory (CF, MMC, SD, MS, etc.) or 802.11, with onscreen ID3 tag info.
Noooo! Don't give them an idea like that! The LAST thing we need is another proprietary system to sync with. Let's just start with enabling the 60 million or so iPods out there!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's another option for you guys. The Harman/Kardon Drive+Play
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/%5Btsx%5D-project-drive-play-322341/

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx
Old 02-01-2006, 04:23 PM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2004 TSX and we don't even have the AUX jack on ours (among other features). I would be THRILLED to have all the extra features the 2006 has.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GeorgeTSX
I have a 2004 TSX and we don't even have the AUX jack on ours (among other features). I would be THRILLED to have all the extra features the 2006 has.
Then buy one.

The point here is that it should work as advertised. That's not too much too ask.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Advanced

I sent them this today my mail and fax> I hope others will do the same. When they realize that this is a serious issue perhaps they'll put the necessary engineering resources to the problem and fix it!

February 1, 2006

Acura Client Services
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
(310) 783-3535

Dear Acura Customer Care:

I recently purchased a TSX (VIN: JH4CL9693xxxxxxx) from xxxxxxx Acura in xxxxxx, California. I made my purchasing decision in large part based upon this Acura press release (which is still on your owners link website as of today):
“Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.”
While there is much I like about the car this feature was by far the clincher for me. I was extremely disappointed to find out from other owners that the product does not work as promised, and in fact is no longer offered for the TSX as advertised.
I feel deceived and cheated and would like to know if any work is being done to fix this or what consideration will be offered to owners who purchased vehicles based on these false promises.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX
Old 02-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also check out the the Monster Icruze.
I'm not sure if this will work for the TSX but It's on sale for $99 right now and includes an external text display. If you're interested you guys should look into it and make sure it works for the TSX.

http://store.monstercable.com/iCruze/
Old 02-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I sent them this today my mail and fax> I hope others will do the same. When they realize that this is a serious issue perhaps they'll put the necessary engineering resources to the problem and fix it!

February 1, 2006

Acura Client Services
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
(310) 783-3535

Dear Acura Customer Care:

I recently purchased a TSX (VIN: JH4CL9693xxxxxxx) from xxxxxxx Acura in xxxxxx, California. I made my purchasing decision in large part based upon this Acura press release (which is still on your owners link website as of today):
“Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.”
While there is much I like about the car this feature was by far the clincher for me. I was extremely disappointed to find out from other owners that the product does not work as promised, and in fact is no longer offered for the TSX as advertised.
I feel deceived and cheated and would like to know if any work is being done to fix this or what consideration will be offered to owners who purchased vehicles based on these false promises.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXX

Not that this should be any consolation, but I have heard that Acura themselves are a bit disapointed. Whomever makes the product, apparently misrepresented what the interface could do when the sold it to Acura parts.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Racer

I bought the TSX in large part because of the promised iPod integration that's now largely considered a flop. Having just bought the car I was able to tell all the survey folks calling to ask about my "satisfaction" how UNHAPPY I am that the company has mislead, misrepresented, and falsely advertised this feature.

I'm hoping that if they hear this enough, if it becomes a big enough embarrassment, that MAYBE they'll engineer a fix. Who's with me? Call ACURA and log a complaint. I did.
Did you just buy the car the moment you saw it or what? I'm not flaming or anything like that, but most people check their cars out before they buy it. (Test drives, sit in the car at least once?) I didn't really read any ads or anything for the TSX, but I went out and tested my friend's '05, and tested a '06 to make sure everything I wanted was in there. I was actually surprised by many of the things my friend's '05 didn't have that came standard with the '06. I'm pleased with '05's and definately happier with the '06.

As for the false advertising, well i didnt really go look at every brochure there was for the TSX to tell ya the truth, so I may be missing something (sorry if i did, but on the website, its pretty clear its an aux port)
Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Acura MusicLink is not the Aux In
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Racer

oO was that a promised feature for the TSX? haha sorry, I didnt read too much advertising, and the only time i heard about the link was in the forum where someone spent like 200 or something(fergot) dollars, and said it sucked ultra. Anyone have the advertisement? I'm more physical when it comes to checking out cars, and their features (sitting inside, and manually testing out every component I want, and checking for build defects), so i thought most people here do the same haha. My bad if i said something completely stupid up there on my last post just ignore it or something.

Although Acura did try to sell me a very cool "lo jack" like system, which i forgot the name. You could track your car on a website, and choose to disable and enable your car at any time. Anyone know the name for that system? Thats something I wanna do some research on haha =D
Old 02-03-2006, 10:52 PM
5th Gear

[FONT=Arial][QUOTE=sccpu3d]Did you just buy the car the moment you saw it or what? I'm not flaming or anything like that, but most people check their cars out before they buy it. (Test drives, sit in the car at least once?) I didn't really read any ads or anything for the TSX, but I went out and tested my friend's '05, and tested a '06 to make sure everything I wanted was in there. I was actually surprised by many of the things my friend's '05 didn't have that came standard with the '06. I'm pleased with '05's and definately happier with the '06.

As for the false advertising, well i didnt really go look at every brochure there was for the TSX to tell ya the truth, so I may be missing something (sorry if i did, but on the website, its pretty clear its an aux port)

Before buying the 06 TSX I looked at the brochure and the picture of the iPod with a dock connector hooked up to an Apple iPod. I am not aware of any cable that goes directly from a dual mini (for aux input) to a dock connector. The picture is clearly an Apple cable. I'm trying to show a scanned image from the brochure but I don't know if it will show up here.

I also looked for cars that had the features the TSX has and in particular the bluetooth connection and the iPod connection among other things. I became sold on bluetooth in my 2004 Prius and insisted that the next car my wife drove had it. The iPod connection was also a contributing factor. I recently added an integrated iPod system to my Prius that does display song titles and playlist names on the car display. Many controls are steering wheel enabled. This product is made by a company in Colorado. Unfortunately when I e-mailed them about a comparable Acura product they indicated they only had products for Toyotas. My wife is extremely satisfied with her new TSX but iPod controls like I have on my Prius would make the car almost perfect.
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Dick\My Documents\My Pictures\tsxipod.jpg
Old 02-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sccpu3d
Anyone have the advertisement?
See the quoted language of post 17, there was an Acura event announcing the Music Link and hyped the fantastic integration with the ipod. And, in the 2006 TSX literature the Music Link is advertised as an available accessory which is it is no longer because of technological incompatibility.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Racer

oO haha i see.... I wasn't expecting any of those new '06 features other than bluetooth and the fog lights (and the dreaded rims, which actually looks nice in person). The mid, memory seats, zagat nav, and the aux port was all new when i sat in the car for the first time, since I only sat in a friend's '05 TSX, I didn't expect the new stuff haha. It was love at first sight, reallly, i love the euro look =/ dunno why. To me, the only other car with a comparable appearance are the bimmers (sorry lexus, but I think the IS's are ugly =/)

Returning to the previous, I can see why people think Acura had some false advertising, but heh........ its a 31k investment =/ I'd check out the car as a whole before buying it. My 1c =D

I also googled the text..... on the same page a little lower it said "The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation charge."
Old 02-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sccpu3d
The AUX port does work but it is not the music link that's advertised to provide on dash and voice control. As far as trying it first note that the "Acura Music Link" is an optional dealer installed option and I'm not aware of any dealers that have one installed to demonstrate. The only option is to take them at their word that it will work as advertised.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zephrem
See the quoted language of post 17, there was an Acura event announcing the Music Link and hyped the fantastic integration with the ipod. And, in the 2006 TSX literature the Music Link is advertised as an available accessory which is it is no longer because of technological incompatibility.
What's even worse is that's it's still being touted on their web page and the fact that it is no longer even offered for the TSX not mentioned. It's deceptive and un Acura like. I can only assume they are planning a fix. To continue to market a feature that the car doesn't have could get them in legal trouble!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Are you sure???

I am getting my '06 TSX on Friday WITH the music link installed. Are you all sure this doesn't work??
Old 02-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joeybobo
I am getting my '06 TSX on Friday WITH the music link installed. Are you all sure this doesn't work??
I'm sure because I have one installed and it is flawed. The test: have the ipod playing, turn off the car, remove the key, and start it up again. On mine, whatever is on XM2 (including the XM preview) and the ipod play at the same time. To clear the channel bleed, repeatedly press the aux button to cycle back to the ipod.

I'll be interested to hear whether it works on yours without the channel bleed.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

I'm sure because I have one installed and it is flawed. The test: have the ipod playing, turn off the car, remove the key, and start it up again. On mine, whatever is on XM2 (including the XM preview) and the ipod play at the same time. To clear the channel bleed, repeatedly press the aux button to cycle back to the ipod.

Thanks Zephrem, will try it out and let you know how it works.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait a minute...Is this THE problem? You gotta be kidding me. All this bitching because you have to cycle through the Aux button a few times??

Acura will fix this im sure. Give them a chance for christ's sake...
Old 02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joerockt
Wait a minute...Is this THE problem? You gotta be kidding me. All this bitching because you have to cycle through the Aux button a few times??

Acura will fix this im sure. Give them a chance for christ's sake...
Read back through the ipod threads. This isn't the only issue, it is one issue that makes it "technologically incompatible" with the 2006 TSX headunit. According to the dealer, there may be other technological issues that exist as well with the HU, but this is one that we are experiencing.

Acura's misrepresentation regarding what the Music Link could do vs. the reality (the interface, the plug-in, etc.) is the biggest issue.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Instructor

The next largest issue is the actual functionality (or non-functionality, depending on your point of view) of the interface. These problems aren't just with the TSX, they are with any Honda or Acura model that has the music link.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

What's even worse is that's it's still being touted on their web page and the fact that it is no longer even offered for the TSX not mentioned. It's deceptive and un Acura like. I can only assume they are planning a fix. To continue to market a feature that the car doesn't have could get them in legal trouble!
This is from a 2003 brochure, but they all have this in the back.....
Old 02-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
This is from a 2003 brochure, but they all have this in the back.....
[
They can say whatever they want, but they're still bound by the law. They sold me a TSX which, at the time, was promised to work with the Acura music link. This is a legal obligation that is not excused by that text.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ron Parr
They can say whatever they want, but they're still bound by the law. They sold me a TSX which, at the time, was promised to work with the Acura music link. This is a legal obligation that is not excused by that text.
I'm pretty sure the disclaimer indemnifies them from legal action, but I wish you luck.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Parr

If I was a judge, I'd laugh the case out of court. There's no way a court is going to give you a refund of your $30K car because an iPod interface doesn't work properly. Give Honda some time to figure it out. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

Zephrem, you are correct, my dealer just called and said it wasn't available. Bummer, but aux link should be more than good enough.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Colin
I'm pretty sure the disclaimer indemnifies them from legal action, but I wish you luck.
I'm certain that it does not.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Martin

If I was a judge, I'd laugh the case out of court. There's no way a court is going to give you a refund of your $30K car because an iPod interface doesn't work properly. Give Honda some time to figure it out. I'm sure they'll come up with a solution.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons why you are not a judge?

BTW, I never suggested that anybody was entitled to a refund on a $30K car because of this. What I did say is that Acura has a legal obligation.

Quick Reply: "Acura Music Link" (iPod) for TSX