View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on this decision?
Hell No! What is Acura thinking! I love the TSX!
39.62%
I guess it's time to go after a long run.
22.64%
Keep the TSX and sell it alongside the ILX
37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Acura ILX announced to possibly replace the TSX in 2012 :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Acura ILX announced to possibly replace the TSX in 2012 :(

Sad day for us TSX owners.. It's a disgrace if they do this! I have read conflicting reports though.. some say it may be a companion to the TSX, but others say it's meant to replace it and start at under 25K pricing.. idk

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...2013-acura-ilx

oh and not built in Japan anymore.. what a shame.

The TSX is a great car because of the fact that it's built in Japan. It has much more reliability than any other Acuras for that reason alone.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I'll say to run the ILX (RSX) at the same time as the TSX and TL and let the consumers decide.

I like the TSX wagon and hate to see that go (it just needs a little more power). Acura does not have a coupe and/or convertible, what is the plan for that. I think a smaller crossover below the 2013 RDX would do better than a civic based luxury sedan.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking to reporters at the Las Vegas event, Vicki Poponi, American Honda assistant vice president for product planning, said the brand's TSX, TL and RL sedan were cannibalizing sales because they were too close in exterior dimensions and interior space. "Our sedans haven't been doing the job for the brand," she said.
Poponi added while sharing major components, the ILX will bear no resemblance to the ninth-generation Civic or the Canadian-market Acura CSX.
Sedans haven't been doing the job because Acura has been putting out complete crap. Duh! There's some logic.

Seriously, who the hell designed that ugly-ass beak pathetic styling shovel grille? That person should've been fired on the spot. How that made its way into design is just beyond me. No offense to drivers of these models but thank God they finally streamlined it. It looks better now but its too late. Oh that and the toothless grille they embarrassed the MDX with that last 1 or 2 years...

There's no excuse for those grilles. It turned a lot of people off.

I drive an 08 TSX, I love the car, yeah I'm biased I guess but after 08, they ruined that car too. Its wayy to bloated and boxy.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilsJim89
Sedans haven't been doing the job because Acura has been putting out complete crap. Duh! There's some logic.

Seriously, who the hell designed that ugly-ass beak pathetic styling shovel grille? That person should've been fired on the spot. How that made its way into design is just beyond me. No offense to drivers of these models but thank God they finally streamlined it. It looks better now but its too late. Oh that and the toothless grille they embarrassed the MDX with that last 1 or 2 years...

Good point. Acura acknowledged that the giant proboscis was a mistake and corrected it on the TL & TSX. Their overall design language since 2009 has been trashed almost universally by the automotive press, as well as by the public.

The 1G TSX used to average the same number of sales that they hope to sell with the ILX.

Now the 2G TSX is not doing as well...But somehow they blame factors other than the roundly disparaged design for the drop in sales? The "Sedans haven't been doing the job" ?!!! They clearly don't get it and have not been listening.

Infiniti and Lexus have no problem selling a plethora of similarly-sized sedans in various pleasing to look at shapes.

AAARGH.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Racer

And meanwhile, they sunk million$ into a sales disaster like the ZDX...but yes, let's axe a proven seller and award-winner (the last one Acura had), because it's wearing an ill-fitting suit.

If they simply made the body look like the Honda Sports4 concept, (as was rumored back in 2009), they would have a winner again. (Google it -- it was beautiful).

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 12-15-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: no image
Old 12-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by Boulder TSX
And meanwhile, they sunk million$ into a sales disaster like the ZDX...but yes, let's axe a proven seller and award-winner (the last one Acura had), because it's wearing an ill-fitting suit.

exactly! The smart move by Acura would be to drop that ridiculous ZDX and bring the ILX.. The TSX saved this company in 2004.. Why drop your gem? That and the MDX are the reason why Acura sells the cars they sell today..
Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I'll say to run the ILX (RSX) at the same time as the TSX and TL and let the consumers decide.

I like the TSX wagon and hate to see that go (it just needs a little more power). Acura does not have a coupe and/or convertible, what is the plan for that. I think a smaller crossover below the 2013 RDX would do better than a civic based luxury sedan.
agreed except for the smaller SUV part.. what Acura should do is remove the ZDX..nobody buys that thing! they only made it to copy BMW's X6.. My ideal lineup would be dropping the RL, adding a V8 to the TL and making it the flagship. bring SH-AWD to the TSX to compete with 3series and quattro a4s and keep the ILX, MDX and RDX.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Exactly, Where the Firetruck was the Sports4 that they promised us?

2nd Gen TSX looks like Balls and still looks horrendous after 3 years since its 2009 Debut.

The TSX was discontinued in 2009 as far as I'm concerned and replaced with a Fat Toyota Camry Look a like.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I saw a story from Acura on Twitter about the ISX with a picture. Horrible looking car.

If I wanted a Civic, I'd go buy a Civic and save a crap load of money.

One thing I've loved about Acura over Inifiniti and Lexus is that Honda doesn't sell the Honda version of an Acura here in the States. You want a 04 Accord Euro rather than a TSX you have to go to Europe to get it. That makes Acuras unique. To me, a Lexus and an Inifiniti are nothing but rebadged Toyotas and Nissans. Why would you buy a QX4 when you can buy the Pathfinder and switch the nameplates over if you really feel the need to impress someone?

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/12/13...l-replace-tsx/
Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Racer

While I agree with your sentiments, the photo posted on that website is not the ILX. It is the CSX, the current Canadian rebadged Civic. (If you look closely, you can see the previous generation Civic in there, especially from the side.)

The new ILX will have a different body and panel treatment...and hopefully, a vastly different interior than that of the new Civic. (There are spyshots on Road & Track.com & elsewhere.)

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 12-18-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Exactly, Where the Firetruck was the Sports4 that they promised us?

2nd Gen TSX looks like Balls and still looks horrendous after 3 years since its 2009 Debut.

The TSX was discontinued in 2009 as far as I'm concerned and replaced with a Fat Toyota Camry Look a like.
Glad some others agree. I really think the Sports4 was a stunningly good design.

The only thing I can figure is that the wheels were huge and would have to downsized, along with those wheel arches...and that the windows were like gun-ports in a tank, (and very un-Honda/Acura attribute, with their emphasis on visibility.) Still, why not give it a try? Hyundai and others are doing narrow windows with great success. Besides, that's what back-up cameras and mirrors are for.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced

If they simply made the body look like the Honda Sports4 concept, (as was rumored back in 2009), they would have a winner again. (Google it -- it was beautiful).
I find it amazing that Honda/Acura has survived as long as it has. Every time you turn around Honda has produced another underpowered, overly conservative vehicle with poor gas mileage. On the flip side, we keep buying them.

You're right about the ZDX, but don't forget the Accord Crosstour. What the heck was the point to that? Was there really a market clamoring for an Isuzu Vehicross update?

Some say its the Japanese leadership that's so conservative. I don't think that's the case. Its American Honda that's designing the mediocre cars here. Look at Hondas around the rest of the world and you'll find nice looking, well handling cars which generally are our Acuras. Honda Motor needs to start listening to the buyers. Toyota has. Look at the new Camry. I'd never buy it, but it's a heck of a step up from the previous two versions.

There are signs Honda may be listening though... MAY be listening. They are supposedly doing the MMC on the Civic a year into 9th gen because of the poor sales and bad styling. I believe its one of the worst selling Civics on record. Even dealers are openly complaining about the car here on the West Coast.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by deepen03
My ideal lineup would be dropping the RL, adding a V8 to the TL and making it the flagship. bring SH-AWD to the TSX to compete with 3series and quattro a4s and keep the ILX, MDX and RDX.
Spot on. Make the TSX standard with the V6 too, and leave the I4's for the ILX.

Oh, and fire anyone that had anything to do with the styling since 2009 and redesign all five of them.

And don't forget the NSX!

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/12/a...ng-to-detroit/
Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calisoulsurfer
Well, I saw a story from Acura on Twitter about the ISX with a picture. Horrible looking car.

If I wanted a Civic, I'd go buy a Civic and save a crap load of money.

One thing I've loved about Acura over Inifiniti and Lexus is that Honda doesn't sell the Honda version of an Acura here in the States. You want a 04 Accord Euro rather than a TSX you have to go to Europe to get it. That makes Acuras unique. To me, a Lexus and an Inifiniti are nothing but rebadged Toyotas and Nissans. Why would you buy a QX4 when you can buy the Pathfinder and switch the nameplates over if you really feel the need to impress someone?

http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/12/13...l-replace-tsx/
This is such a silly argument that so many people love making and I cant understand why. In today's marketplace there is so much platform and mechanical sharing as well as badge engineering going on that the whole "its just a fancy Toyota" is ridiculous. Outside of BMW and MB (full lux line) is there a mainstream manufacturer with a luxo brand that doesnt share or badge engineer?

Most of the Lexus offerings in NA are not Toyotas we get in NA. With that said have you ever sat in a Toyota Celsior and compared it to the LS 460/600? Please do, and tell me if you still think its just the badge thats different. Please do the same for the Aristo, Soarer, Prado, etc. Even the domestic examples like the prius, LC and the camry are noticeably different. Some models are closer to their non luxo counterparts, i'll give you that but not the same.

Honda has a tiny lineup compared to most of the other makes and Acura is barely hanging on to LUX status. I feel Infiniti is even leaving Acura behind where the two used to be on par. Ive been shopping for a new car recently and it makes me sad to walk into the Acura dealership and sit/drive their vehicles they simply are not on the same level as the BMW/Audi offerings or the Lexus/Inifinti models. I know the typical argument here is Acura is cheaper and more reliable. Audi and BMW are having no problems selling their "expensive crap".

Its funny because I see a lot of people in here hating on the ZDX. Dont get me wrong i think it is ugly as sin (along with most of the lineup) and I'm not sure what the point of the car is either. With that in mind its the only car in the Acura lineup with some passion and soul. Its different and had some firsts for Acura which I like and respect regardless of the fact that I dont like the vehicle itself.

Most of the people in here are enthusiasts and Acura simply does not cater to us anymore (ever?). The top selling Acura is the TL and within its segment it is the last choice for me. If Acura continues down this path it wont be long before it is the Japanese Buick with all its boring fwd models and uninspired awd offerings. Heck even Buick is stepping up its game and putting out performance models/cars along with its boring fwd offerings.

Last edited by Red@8; 12-19-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red@8
This is such a silly argument that so many people love making and I cant understand why. In today's marketplace there is so much platform and mechanical sharing as well as badge engineering going on that the whole "its just a fancy Toyota" is ridiculous. Outside of BMW and MB (full lux line) is there a mainstream manufacturer with a luxo brand that doesnt share or badge engineer?
The reason I say rebadged is this...

There isn't a corresponding Honda to an Acura. Every Acura is a Honda sold somewhere else. Always been that way since day one.

Toyota, starting at day one with the ES250 was exactly a Camry in 1986. All the way through the current ES model its still a Camry. Same body panels an all. Even the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser is the same exact car with some added luxury options. Its only recently that Toyota has started making cars unique to Lexus.

Same thing with Infiniti with the exception of the GS series. The QX4? Its a freaking Pathfinder with extra options. Period.

Audi? At least the Jetta/A4 and Passat/A6 have started to diverge a bit from looking like the same car.

The point is that Acura is the only car company that didn't take a current model, rebadge it as a luxury brand and sell them side by side. I made that very point in my first post. That is where Acura is unique. Even if the new ES is different than the Camry, it still looks like the same car because they used the same platform and panels. That goes to my point of why would you buy a Lexus ES when you can buy the Camry and save $10K not to mention cheaper gas (regular vs premium on the Toyota vs Lexus) and significantly cheaper insurance.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:26 PM
heel/toe is my specialty

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calisoulsurfer
The reason I say rebadged is this...

There isn't a corresponding Honda to an Acura. Every Acura is a Honda sold somewhere else. Always been that way since day one.

Toyota, starting at day one with the ES250 was exactly a Camry in 1986. All the way through the current ES model its still a Camry. Same body panels an all. Even the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser is the same exact car with some added luxury options. Its only recently that Toyota has started making cars unique to Lexus.

Same thing with Infiniti with the exception of the GS series. The QX4? Its a freaking Pathfinder with extra options. Period.

Audi? At least the Jetta/A4 and Passat/A6 have started to diverge a bit from looking like the same car.

The point is that Acura is the only car company that didn't take a current model, rebadge it as a luxury brand and sell them side by side. I made that very point in my first post. That is where Acura is unique. Even if the new ES is different than the Camry, it still looks like the same car because they used the same platform and panels. That goes to my point of why would you buy a Lexus ES when you can buy the Camry and save $10K not to mention cheaper gas (regular vs premium on the Toyota vs Lexus) and significantly cheaper insurance.
I do see where you are coming from with these points but i am not sure I can agree. Acura is rebadging Hondas and has been doing it from day 1 that is similar to the other brands. Selling these rebadged models side by side has been done all over the world and as close as Canada. The US has been spared of this and my guess is because of how cheap cars are here compared to the rest of the world. But just because it doesnt happen here does that make it any better? Perhaps - out of sight of mind I suppose.

I assume we agree that platform sharing is very common in the market. The ES350 from my quick search has not shared panels with the Camry for quite some time. I would not have guessed that. I agree they look very similar.

The Camry would be cheaper to buy and own than the ES but then again you are also getting less vehicle. The Lex offers more power, more comfort, more features, more warranty, and the lex ownership experience. Is this not worth some if not all the premium the es commands? I know that is subjective.

Saying you would buy a cheaper car because it has less stuff but looks the same gets you exactly that - a cheaper car with less stuff. Its not really apples to oranges but its not apples to apples either.

Would you get a touareg or a cayenne?
The following users liked this post:
calisoulsurfer (12-19-2011)
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Proud Acura Owner

So I recently tweeted to client relations.. idk if this is legit but hopefully they didn't lie to me:

AcuraClientCare AcuraClientRelations
@
Thx4 the luv RT @deepen03 I hope rumors of the 2013 ILX replacing the TSX aren't true..TSX FOREVER! Don't drop one of the best selling cars!

response:
@Acura_Insider
Acura Insider
@deepen03 no plans to drop the TSX when the ILX launches. Vehicles are different in size, price and position.

I hope it's true
Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Proud Acura Owner

well only hours away from the announcement of the 3 new cars... and possible death of the TSX
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilsJim89

I drive an 08 TSX, I love the car, yeah I'm biased I guess but after 08, they ruined that car too. Its wayy to bloated and boxy.
Here's a different kind of beak that I customized. An MDX grill on my '11 TSX.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Proud Acura Owner

alright so I guess I can live with the ILX.. it actually surprised me.. great job by Acura!
calisoulsurfer (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

calisoulsurfer (01-09-2012)
Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Proud Acura Owner

I guess so long TSX.. it was a long run and now my 2004 TSX will be LEGENDARY! Good luck to Acura with the new ILX and let's hope for the best! (That rumored TL/TSX combo TLX should be interesting)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM

That's a nice looking car. Suddenly I'm interested again.

Does anyone else think this is what the 2nd Gen TSX should have looked like in the first place?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Racer

Sounds like the TSX will continue on. One quoted source from Acura at the Detroit Auto show said the ILX will augment the TSX, not replace it.

Great news!

And I have to say the exterior of the ILX is a terrific design. (No interior photos available yet.)
Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Does anyone else think this is what the 2nd Gen TSX should have looked like in the first place?
That was the first thought that came to my mind.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Sounds like the TSX will continue on. One quoted source from Acura at the Detroit Auto show said the ILX will augment the TSX, not replace it.

Great news!

And I have to say the exterior of the ILX is a terrific design. (No interior photos available yet.)
well I say the 2012 model year will continue on.. but i'm expected a late summer discontinuing announcement.. Acura wants a 3 sedan lineup.. so RL, TL and ILX is the future.. possibly a rumored TL/TSX combo TLX..
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Proud Acura Owner

i know right?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ILX is going to be used to compete with cars like the Lexus CT and HS BMW 1 series and Buick Verano the TSX is not going any where
Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks sexy. I have something in the Acura lineup to look forward to now, even if it's a step down from the TSX.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it looks only a tad better than the 2nd gen TSX. But for pete's sake, why is that grill still there?

I do like the rear end a bit better.

Last edited by xenonhid; 01-10-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Well, it looks only a tad better than the 2nd gen TSX. But for pete's sake, why is that grill still there?
Maybe they want to give a boost to the after-market grill business? I think the way the front end is shaped, it sticks out less IMO. I'd paint it body color myself.

Also I read the ILX will come in hybrid and plug in hybrid models. That's exciting (to me anyway). I'd buy an affordable luxury sedan that can get 45+ MPG in a heartbeat.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Another slow acura...I'm sure it will handle well..it looks good just needs more HP and of course TQ
Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my take:
1. Sell 'em both. ILX will be cheaper since it's just a gussied-up Civic, made in U.S.
2. Sports4 still looks fabulous! Bring it ON!!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
i love it.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Proud Acura Owner

the best part is the new vented exhausts! no more pipes!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced

I also talked with an acura rep at NAIAS.

ILX - Civic Si - RSX platform = 1 series
TSX - own platform, no longer world accord - wagon selling very well = 3 series
TL - Accord platform -(back to 'midsized' from 'full size') - 5 series
RL - $15K bump in price, starting closer to $70K - 7 series
GTX (grand touring experimental) - CLS/A7 competitor - 600HP Dual Turbo V8 SH-AWD (as true as 80% of the internet)
Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The shark fin on cars looks retarded and needs to be done away with if at all possible. Satellite radio has terrible quality anyhow, so they should invest in HD radio tuners and support for mp3 players. Heck, I couldn't care less about a CD player anymore. Maybe those are still needed for the older people who buy these cars.

bring SH-AWD to the TSX to compete with 3series...
The TSX doesn't need more weight, and certainly not SH-AWD for such an underpowered car.

I would change the TSX by bringing back the first gen platform and offering 2 engine choices. 1) The original 2.4L mill 2) 2.0L turbocharged engine. I can't really improve on it beyond that, as I'm drawing a blank as to what I would change on my '06.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 AM
Burning Brakes

I saw the ILX up-close at a big auto show, and asked the Acura reps specifically if the ILX would replace the TSX, and they said no (and emphatically). You guys had me worried, but apparently the rumors are unfounded. I'm sure these things are always subject to change.

I agree about the satellite radio, but there must be enough demand for it to be included. I admit that I like the variety, but given the quality and cost, it's hard to justify.

I also agree about the TSX getting larger not necessarily a good feature. I'd have to consider the ILX when shopping again.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by vidgamer
I saw the ILX up-close at a big auto show, and asked the Acura reps specifically if the ILX would replace the TSX, and they said no (and emphatically). You guys had me worried, but apparently the rumors are unfounded. I'm sure these things are always subject to change.

I agree about the satellite radio, but there must be enough demand for it to be included. I admit that I like the variety, but given the quality and cost, it's hard to justify.

I also agree about the TSX getting larger not necessarily a good feature. I'd have to consider the ILX when shopping again.
What the Acura Rep said was technically correct. The ILX does not REPLACE the TSX. The ILX is a new entry level car. The TSX will be sold for another year so technically it is not REPLACING the TSX since they will both be sold at the same time. But the TSX will leave the line up when the new TL/TSX comes out as a Model Year 2014 model.

What you should have asked is what are the plans for the TSX. Does it go away? You would have probably gotten some non commital answer. Acura is not going to keep four sedans in its line up, especailly since the ILX pricing is pushing close to the TSX.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Sad day for us TSX owners.. It's a disgrace if they do this! I have read conflicting reports though.. some say it may be a companion to the TSX, but others say it's meant to replace it and start at under 25K pricing.. idk

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...2013-acura-ilx

oh and not built in Japan anymore.. what a shame.

The TSX is a great car because of the fact that it's built in Japan. It has much more reliability than any other Acuras for that reason alone.
Prove that statement otherwise its just internet BS

Quick Reply: Acura ILX announced to possibly replace the TSX in 2012 :(