"ACURA" doesn't sound prestigious?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Bound for Europe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by duugk
I enjoyed seeing the "cleaner" in the movie Pulp Fiction, driving up in his "Acura".

I feel sorry for all the folks out there who need a certain kind of brand name to compensate for their inadequacies. Especially all the poor saps in the bimmers. Personally, I like the fact that Acura is seen as "just a nice Honda". I have always enjoyed "sleeper" type stuff. You know, hidden and quiet competance or even excellence. Like the Titan football team in the last couple of seasons, not a single pro bowler but man, they kicked ass for most of the season. (I am a Seahawks fan by the way. Not looking for sympathy here either.) Cal Ripkin is another name that comes immediately to my mind. Look up his baseball career stats. Outstanding reliability, performance, plus he doesn't do the Deion Sanders dance after every play.

Quiet excellence, that to me, is what Acura is all about. It's not about humiliating your neighbors or showing off how much cash you can throw around.

I don't need a certain emblem to be cool. I don't need to impress the 18-23 yr old crowd, or any other crowd for that matter so....don't scratch my Acura.

uhh...HELL YEAH!!! Well said my man. I was just about to say the same thing. It's sad how MANY people in our society actually equate material wealth with character and personality and blah, blah, blah. Prestige???? I wouldn't give a damn if I was the only person on the planet who loves the TSX. High school ended for me 10 years ago. It seems that it never ends for some folk.

Induviduality
Old 11-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Sorry guys, but there's a reason why the Acura brand exists. Honda wants this division to be prestigious - why else would they bother putting an Acura badge on the TSX instead of just leaving it a Honda? It's great that you don't fall into the marketing hype, but that's your individual preferences. Honda is going to turn Acura into a true luxury name plate - just give it time. They've seen the errors that they've made and they're going to improve.

I wonder when (not if) they succeed in turning the Acura nameplate into a household name on the same tier as Mercedes and Lexus, would you still sing the same cry of defiance against the Acura name?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Bound for Europe

all I'm saying is that prestige don't mean squat to me. Similar to the saying "the best", it's just an expression of opinion. If Acura becomes as spoken of as BMW, then good for it. I wish them all the best, for sure. It's just irrelevant to my life and to my mentallity.

GO ACURA GO!!!
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 AM
Inspired

I agree, Acura schmacura. I like Honda and what it stands for. Its what they make and what they have done that matters, not the perception about them.

I find most BMW owners to be completely ignorant of their vehicles, same goes for other luxury brands.

And yes, that scene off of Pulp Fiction with "the Wolf" was great. One of the best NSX scenes ever (except for Getaway in Stockholm 3, the best NSX "movie" ever)
Old 11-08-2003, 11:20 PM

A lot of noobs here, tomorrow I will educate on names and marketing, perception etc.

Honda wants Acura to not stray far. Hell all u got to do is put the badge upside down. One way is an A, the other a H. It's their philisophy and management.

I don't think the name Acura sounds bad, it's their products that don't equate luxury. Near-luxury but not true luxury.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:33 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
...I don't think the name Acura sounds bad, it's their products that don't equate luxury. Near-luxury but not true luxury.
I think their products used to not equate luxury--the problem has been solved, however, with the new generation of Acuras. Go see a TSX or TL if you haven't already. The tides have changed at Acura
Old 11-09-2003, 12:45 PM
dsl
6th Gear

Don't forget that Acura is the trendsetter here..after all, wasn't it them who first came out as the higher end 'alternative' to their mainstream division..Honda? Then a short while later you saw..Lexus..Infiniti, etc. And why was that? Because they saw Acura as a Luxury division of Honda and they wanted a piece of the pie! Nuff said.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:44 PM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by dsl
Don't forget that Acura is the trendsetter here..after all, wasn't it them who first came out as the higher end 'alternative' to their mainstream division..Honda? Then a short while later you saw..Lexus..Infiniti, etc. And why was that? Because they saw Acura as a Luxury division of Honda and they wanted a piece of the pie! Nuff said.
Acura was the original trendsetter...I think they took a short detour off that road, however. It could have been a lot worse, but they're definately back on track.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:19 PM

Alright, I do agree Acura (Honda) was first to be a Japanese Luxury brand. Honda had a problem, it wanted buyers to move up to 6-cylinder cars (remember, all Hondas were 4-cylinders at the time) thus the Legend. Also they were importing hella cars here and by badging them as Acuras, they loopholed in (U.S. import laws limit how much u can bring in).

Honda corportation STRICTLY dictates Acura. They INSIST Acuras look alike and not stray far from Honda. It's THEIR WAY. Thier philosophy. When owners say "our cars look alike" Honda WANTS that. Acura is for Honda owners to move up to. It is not really luxury competition. Thus no RWD, No V-8, cheaper products etc.

There is NOTHING wrong with this approach, as they sell over 150k cars a year.

Lexus and Infiniti were created differently. To COMBAT Mercedes and BMW head-on. So their products are very different. Looking at their line-ups, they battle head to head with BMW/Benz cars except M/AMG and V-12 models.
SPUDMTN, Acura products do continue to improve. But yet to really Surpass the old Legend. Faster yes, but better built, no.

I am on hella forums, comparing the splash of the G35 to the new TL, there in no comparison. Only Honda/Acura folks are into the TSX/TL. Not much cross shopping I noticed. Both are great products.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Racer

Alright, I do agree Acura (Honda) was first to be a Japanese Luxury brand. Honda had a problem, it wanted buyers to move up to 6-cylinder cars (remember, all Hondas were 4-cylinders at the time) thus the Legend. Also they were importing hella cars here and by badging them as Acuras, they loopholed in (U.S. import laws limit how much u can bring in).

Honda corportation STRICTLY dictates Acura. They INSIST Acuras look alike and not stray far from Honda. It's THEIR WAY. Thier philosophy. When owners say "our cars look alike" Honda WANTS that. Acura is for Honda owners to move up to. It is not really luxury competition. Thus no RWD, No V-8, cheaper products etc.

Lexus and Infiniti were created differently. To COMBAT Mercedes and BMW head-on. So their products are very different. Looking at their line-ups, they battle head to head with BMW/Benz cars except M/AMG and V-12 models.
SPUDMTN, Acura products do continue to improve. But yet to really Surpass the old Legend. Faster yes, but better built, no.

I am on hella forums, comparing the splash of the G35 to the new TL, there in no comparison. Only Honda/Acura folks are into the TSX/TL. Not much cross shopping I noticed. Both are great products.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:55 PM
Racer

I am on hella forums, comparing the splash of the G35 to the new TL, there in no comparison. Only Honda/Acura folks are into the TSX/TL. Not much cross shopping I noticed. Both are greatproducts.
Lots of hoky stuff in your paragraph above to pick apart. I'll touch on a few. Where to begin?
(1) How do you know the new Acuras arent' "better built?" Have you done an in depth analysis of Honda's quality control programs and production techniques? Given the continuing advances in this area over the past few years, it's probably safe to assume all manufacturers have improved quality control and build better products, some just more so than others. You're not going out on a limb and trying to say Nissan products are better built than Honda products, are you? LOL I hope not...
(2) G35 is Nissan's only truly successful product in about 10 years and has already cooled off in sales of late. Significant discounts are available on them (I checked). The new TL will crush it, as it offers more power and more standard "stuff." You might not agree but let's just watch the sales data before you make any more pronouncements. So what if the TL is FWD? I've said it here before, the average G35 owner probably doesn't even know they have a RWD car and could absolutely care less, most sold are probably automatics too, right? I'd be curious what percentage ES and G owners frequent boards like this one and the ones you also hang out at? Probably 5% or so, which hardly makes anything you hear there gospel.
(3) Not all Toyota/Lexus products are sporty, which would truly make Lexus a BMW/Mercedes competitor. In fact, their products are all over the map, from totally unsporty and heavy on the lux (ES 330 - BTW, which BMW does the ES compete head on with? LOL), to big and sorta sporty (LS). What they really are is geared toward pleasing well-heeled North American consumers. Automobile magazine recently characterized the new LS as sort of a super efficient appliance. That's Toyota in a nutshell, isn't it?
(4) No offense, you've beaten this "Acura is not as prestigious as (fill in the blank)" thing to death. It's BS. When someone buys an Acura instead of a BMW or Mercedes or Lexux, Honda has competed successfully against those guys. Plain and simple.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
Hey, mdxman -- dunno what you wanna say, but whatever it is, I guess you really mean it!

P.S. I'll probably just delete this after you fix it up.
Thanks, Larch, I dunno if I was able to delete the extra post. I goofed this time before I even got started ranting. Oh well, I guess I remain a passionate dork!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
(4) No offense, you've beaten this "Acura is not as prestigious as (fill in the blank)" thing to death. It's BS. When someone buys an Acura instead of a BMW or Mercedes or Lexux, Honda has competed successfully against those guys. Plain and simple.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:33 AM

No offense, you've beaten this "Acura is not as prestigious as (fill in the blank)" thing to death. It's BS. When someone buys an Acura instead of a BMW or Mercedes or Lexux, Honda has competed successfully against those guys. Plain and simple.
Whoa, I did not start ANY of these threads. It's always some Honda/Acura owner. Just adding my pennies worth
Old 11-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
Lots of hoky stuff in your paragraph above to pick apart. I'll touch on a few. Where to begin?
(1) How do you know the new Acuras arent' "better built?" Have you done an in depth analysis of Honda's quality control programs and production techniques? Given the continuing advances in this area over the past few years, it's probably safe to assume all manufacturers have improved quality control and build better products, some just more so than others. You're not going out on a limb and trying to say Nissan products are better built than Honda products, are you? LOL I hope not...
(2) G35 is Nissan's only truly successful product in about 10 years and has already cooled off in sales of late. Significant discounts are available on them (I checked). The new TL will crush it, as it offers more power and more standard "stuff." You might not agree but let's just watch the sales data before you make any more pronouncements. So what if the TL is FWD? I've said it here before, the average G35 owner probably doesn't even know they have a RWD car and could absolutely care less, most sold are probably automatics too, right? I'd be curious what percentage ES and G owners frequent boards like this one and the ones you also hang out at? Probably 5% or so, which hardly makes anything you hear there gospel.
(3) Not all Toyota/Lexus products are sporty, which would truly make Lexus a BMW/Mercedes competitor. In fact, their products are all over the map, from totally unsporty and heavy on the lux (ES 330 - BTW, which BMW does the ES compete head on with? LOL), to big and sorta sporty (LS). What they really are is geared toward pleasing well-heeled North American consumers. Automobile magazine recently characterized the new LS as sort of a super efficient appliance. That's Toyota in a nutshell, isn't it?
You have many valid points, but you are wrong about one thing. The G35 is not Nissans only successful product within the last 10 years. 350z (Currently the best selling sports car), Murano, Altima (NACOTY), FX35/45. A few that I predict to be added are the Titan, and the next M45(Fuga) which I doubt will touched by anything in its class (pending no cost cutting occurs).

Yes the TL will crush the G35, just like the G35C crushed the CL
Old 11-11-2003, 07:29 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Habiib
You have many valid points, but you are wrong about one thing. The G35 is not Nissans only successful product within the last 10 years. 350z (Currently the best selling sports car), Murano, Altima (NACOTY), FX35/45. A few that I predict to be added are the Titan, and the next M45(Fuga) which I doubt will touched by anything in its class (pending no cost cutting occurs).

Yes the TL will crush the G35, just like the G35C crushed the CL
Ya, you're right, I meant "Infiniti," not the parent company. And the 350Z and Altima are indeed hits. The Murano (rolling door stop car) and FX (Toon Town SUV) less so.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by duugk
I enjoyed seeing the "cleaner" in the movie Pulp Fiction, driving up in his "Acura".

I feel sorry for all the folks out there who need a certain kind of brand name to compensate for their inadequacies. Especially all the poor saps in the bimmers. Personally, I like the fact that Acura is seen as "just a nice Honda". I have always enjoyed "sleeper" type stuff. You know, hidden and quiet competance or even excellence. Like the Titan football team in the last couple of seasons, not a single pro bowler but man, they kicked ass for most of the season. (I am a Seahawks fan by the way. Not looking for sympathy here either.) Cal Ripkin is another name that comes immediately to my mind. Look up his baseball career stats. Outstanding reliability, performance, plus he doesn't do the Deion Sanders dance after every play.

Quiet excellence, that to me, is what Acura is all about. It's not about humiliating your neighbors or showing off how much cash you can throw around.

I don't need a certain emblem to be cool. I don't need to impress the 18-23 yr old crowd, or any other crowd for that matter so....don't scratch my Acura.
These are my sentiments exactly. Using the poker face is the same principle. You don't let on what's going on underneath, but all the work, intelligence and motivation is in place behind the scenes. When the fire needs to come out, it's there for you, but until then, the approach is business as usual and make no waves so people can't see you coming from a mile away. I suppose, the opposite approach requires loud mufflers, squealing tires, and blaring stereos, but the Acura handles business all day, everyday, without complaint. Think if all your co-workers behaved this way, you wouldn't need to worry about productivity. Things would just get handled.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
How did you find this very old thread? What were you searching for? lol

Anyway, it depends on who you ask. In my mom's crowd, Acura sounds as expensive as a Lexus. Personally, I just tote my TSX as if it's just a glorified Honda. I don't need prestige while I drive; if I did, I'd be driving a high-end BMW (as opposed to a high-end wannabe base-model)
Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Learning as I go

"Acura" doesn't sound luxurious? It sounds pretty exotic to me.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
How did you find this very old thread? What were you searching for? lol

Anyway, it depends on who you ask. In my mom's crowd, Acura sounds as expensive as a Lexus. Personally, I just tote my TSX as if it's just a glorified Honda. I don't need prestige while I drive; if I did, I'd be driving a high-end BMW (as opposed to a high-end wannabe base-model)
Just to satisfy your curiosity I searched for brand and logo. I've been following a recent BMW thread so I wanted to see what else was out there.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To me Acura is just that a luxury brand Honda. Which is not a bad thing, but that's what it is to me. Thats why I badge swapped my car to a Honda, but thats another topic, which i dont want to start again

When acura first came out they were the first to offer this "luxury class" for a Japanese make in the US.

One of the first cars they released was the Integra, which is still to this day, an engineering marvel, engine wise, but i digress.

I personally like how Acura has "flown under the radar" Just like stated above.

But from my observation, the only feasable reason I can come up with for, why Acura may not have the snob appeal like Lexus has gained, is the Integra.

Not bashing the car, I'd love to have owned one or even an ITR. But it's just that. I think during the mid/late 90's when Honda modding took a life of its own, it wasnt just Civic's being modified there were Integra's. Plenty of them, and they are still around today.

So I'm sure any person who has been exposed to this, me being from Cali makes it worse, had them lumped into one. I'm sure that might have changed the age demographic or something for potential Acura buyers. Perhaps those eyeing the then Acura Legend or Vigor had that little voice in the back of their heads. "all those "kids" with their lowered hondas and acuras, Ill get a Lexus or whatever because thats grown people stuff"

I mean they stopped making RSX cuz it didnt fit in the "Acura luxury line-up" And the integra also was seen as the "wild-child" of Acuras lineup. So I think its all perception, but for me Acura has been branded becuase of its tuner friendly platform.

Thats just my theory, all I'm saying is that Acura is a good brand to me because i know its a Honda. I have no qualms about it.
And that's why I Love My Honda, sorry had to say it. haha
Old 09-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

I think the other problem is that Acuras look a lot like Hondas, moreso that Lexus' looks like a comparable Toyota model. I think Honda needs to take Acura's stylistic differentiation to another level.

The TL barely looks like a luxury car at all.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

at least i have an acura that is faster and more comfoatable than most mercedes and BMW's.

and for half the cost.

i love to see how miffed those Douche bags are when i stomp on them in my "ACURA"
Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I have to say, sitting in a bimmer 3 series which is comparable to our car I don't feel at all like I'm a luxury car. Seems plain and chinsy, whereas; my TSX with navi and what not feels much more tech savy and unique which in turn is what I feel a luxury car should be. The only thing that steals away the luxury feeling is road noise.

Still though, I ask one question, isn't luxury more in the eye of the beholder? Many people sit in a accord EX-L and feel as if it is a luxury car (like myself) despite the Honda moniker.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

Yes, luxury is in the eye of the beholder but the badge is supposed to be something of a promise on the part of the car maker.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:52 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

Originally Posted by wackura
I think the other problem is that Acuras look a lot like Hondas, moreso that Lexus' looks like a comparable Toyota model. I think Honda needs to take Acura's stylistic differentiation to another level.

The TL barely looks like a luxury car at all.
because the IS and the camry look so much different than each other. you know supras and the SC's didn't look that much different. the sebring and the new C class. Infiniti I35 was just a different maxima. the new altima coupe looks like the G Coupe. So on and so on. If you look at the chassi's from all of these company's you will see they use the same chassi and motor to save money and just change the facia's and badges.

The difference is that BMW does not have a parent company so they don't have to distinguish them selfs differently from another car company. now that benz has sold there share in chrysler i hope to see a difference in styling come from them.

"ACURA" is blue collar luxury. meaning that alot more people can get a "glorified" honda and have the same features as a bmw, benz, lexo, and infiniti at half the price used. I am very happy with my honda and i know i will always be happy with them.

F@%& the Jonses and class statusus based on what car you buy or don't buy.

My

Mrproul
Old 09-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

I agree. This is prely personal bias but when I see someone driving a *new* BMW or a Mercedes I think a lot of bad things, they were born into privelege or their rich father died last week, they won the lottery, the husband is an evil lawyer while the wife is a professional socialite, and when I imagine myself driving such a car I can't help but think other people will look at me that way.

When you drive something nice you should feel proud to have been able to treat yourself to something nice, but in the case of a BMW or Mercedes I see it as the oposite, a symbol of social outcasting and indifference towards ordinary people. I do think Acura stears clear of that thanks to the late infinitely accessible Integra and RSX. Sometimes I'm tempted to debadge to take it a step further.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the reason why I debagded Acura wording in the back The A symbol is kool tho
Old 09-21-2007, 01:54 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

Originally Posted by DVS-TSXER
That's the reason why I debagded Acura wording in the back The A symbol is kool tho
Same here that shit look's hot.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

did you leave "TSX" or take that off also?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:35 PM
me,gill,and tl-s

One question. Isn't the TSX just the European Accord? same from top to bottom. The other thing is that the USDM gets screwed out of the JDM design and functionality. I always liked the JDM ITR front end and was surprised that that didn't make it over here in production form.

What is the reasoning behind shorting the usdm on all the cool shit?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mrproul

What is the reasoning behind shorting the usdm on all the cool shit?
marketing.....
Old 09-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Banned

I thought the beady headlights were more distinctive and unique than the JDM version although I liked the JDM version and it's similarity to the 2G Integra. It helped set it apart from a Civic, not mention any number of similar sized cars.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap this is an old thread... I mean, come on... Larchmont?? Haven't seen that name for a looooong time - heck, I remember him on the "OTHER" TSX site (pre-Acurazine) when so many people left there to come here.

Despite being the first premiere Japanese nameplate, Acura today does not have the cachet of Lexus, for example (either does Infinity). It just seems that they either choose not to pursue the full range of luxury or they don't have the financial or manufacturing capability to do so (or both).
Old 09-21-2007, 10:38 PM
G2 TSX

Redefining Acura

From Edmunds Auto Observer:

Redefining Acura

While the Honda brand, with its longer history and larger volume, clearly is his No. 1 priority, Mendel is focusing heavily on the redefinition of the Acura brand, which celebrated its 20th anniversary last year. While young in automotive terms, the Acura is the oldest of the Japanese luxury marques.

“Our goal is to move Acura into a Tier 1 luxury brand,” says Mendel emphatically. “We’re pretty clear about it. BMW is well established, and Acura is not, in terms of a brand image. The good news for us is we don’t have a lot of baggage.”

While in Detroit for the launch of Acura’s 2008 product line earlier this month, Mendel tried to explain to gathered journalists where Acura is headed. No two- or three-word explanation, like “The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection” or the “Ultimate Driving Machine,” suffices. Acura's current "Advance" tagline only hints.

For starters, Acura, says Mendel, is being positioned to be closer to BMW and Audi in their sporty performance, than the plusher “country club” Lexus and Mercedes. “But even within that perceptual map, there’s an area that’s even more sport and more luxury that holds an opportunity for us. You can have both. They’re not mutually exclusive,” he explains.

Future Acura models will have performance, but performance a driver can live with on a daily basis, as the NSX was a livable sports car. Mendel points to the RDX, with its first-ever turbocharged engine in an Acura, or Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive as other examples of livable performance.

In the future, performance will mean a V10 engine. It also could mean clean diesel engines for larger Acura sedans (a clean diesel already is rumored for a future Honda Accord). It could mean rear-drive architecture. Mendel doesn’t talk specifics.

“Acura brand has always been about performance and dynamics,” continues Mendel. “One of the additions now is the technology piece. But it is clearly not a technology race. It’s not about more stuff or faster Bluetooth that differentiate you. What Acura is going to be in the future is delivering a driving experience and performance across everything at a level that’s unique in the marketplace.”

Acura will have technology that is simple and easy to use, as Acura navigation systems have been from Day One. “You have to think beyond a specific technological thing and think more holistically about the man-machine interface, the integrity and feel and the driving dynamics,” says Mendel.

Mendel apologizes: “I don’t mean to get too Zen on you.”

It sounds about as mystical as Zen. Maybe it’s one of those things that we’ll get when we see it. And see it, we soon will.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
Sometimes I'm tempted to debadge to take it a step further.
DO IT.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
“Acura brand has always been about performance and dynamics,” continues Mendel. “One of the additions now is the technology piece. But it is clearly not a technology race. It’s not about more stuff or faster Bluetooth that differentiate you. What Acura is going to be in the future is delivering a driving experience and performance across everything at a level that’s unique in the marketplace.”

Acura will have technology that is simple and easy to use, as Acura navigation systems have been from Day One. “You have to think beyond a specific technological thing and think more holistically about the man-machine interface, the integrity and feel and the driving dynamics,” says Mendel.
I love this. And it's why I fell in love with the Tess-X right away. It felt very tight and responsive and thought out, all the amenities and interior appointments were right where i expected them (uncanny) and worked without my having to review the quick start guide. (AND I have NOT been driving a lot of cars in this class. A Hyundai Sonata a coupla years ago during a major breakdown.) I don't care much when people raise their eyebrows and say, "Ooh, you bought a TSX," (yeah, the first time it shocked me, I said, "Huh? I only paid $24k or so, I didn't buy a G35 or SC430"), nor do I care if Bimmer and Merc drivers sniff, "poor man's 3-series." #*$& 'em. When I downshift and jet, pour on 20mph at 60mph in a blink, and disappear, I don't have time to catch their reaction. I don't care. This car just gets it done. And the simplicity and rather plain-Hiroko styling just makes it more stealthy.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:35 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by vitocorleone
Holy crap this is an old thread... I mean, come on... Larchmont?? Haven't seen that name for a looooong time - heck, I remember him on the "OTHER" TSX site (pre-Acurazine) when so many people left there to come here.

Despite being the first premiere Japanese nameplate, Acura today does not have the cachet of Lexus, for example (either does Infinity). It just seems that they either choose not to pursue the full range of luxury or they don't have the financial or manufacturing capability to do so (or both).
Toyota has all of the financial resources, however I can't say the same for Nissan. Toyota has always been financially sound with lots of money in the bank to do what they need to do. My feeling is that Toyota is doing what they want to do on their timetable. All manufacturers need to pay attention because Toyota is formidable in many ways.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by Jack Slate
From Edmunds Auto Observer:
This is as good of a summary as I have seen. Technology without the ability to use it easily, when and where you need it, is much less useful. Honda/Acura has been very good about making the human/machine interface intuitive in all their vehicles. There's no need to load the vehicle with technology just for technology's sake. Function and actual usability are what count most.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Honda does engines.

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I love this. And it's why I fell in love with the Tess-X right away. It felt very tight and responsive and thought out, all the amenities and interior appointments were right where i expected them (uncanny) and worked without my having to review the quick start guide. (AND I have NOT been driving a lot of cars in this class. A Hyundai Sonata a coupla years ago during a major breakdown.) I don't care much when people raise their eyebrows and say, "Ooh, you bought a TSX," (yeah, the first time it shocked me, I said, "Huh? I only paid $24k or so, I didn't buy a G35 or SC430"), nor do I care if Bimmer and Merc drivers sniff, "poor man's 3-series." #*$& 'em. When I downshift and jet, pour on 20mph at 60mph in a blink, and disappear, I don't have time to catch their reaction. I don't care. This car just gets it done. And the simplicity and rather plain-Hiroko styling just makes it more stealthy.
Quiet power to cruise with. When the hammer needs to drop, the fire and brimstone just appears, then disappears when you're done with it.

Quick Reply: "ACURA" doesn't sound prestigious?