Accord vs. TSX: Apples & Oranges?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 08:17 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accord vs. TSX: Apples & Oranges?

Hi folks:

I am about to buy an Accord LX V6, however, someone suggested I look at the Accura's and the closest in price & features is the TSX. Besides the basic differences in engine size, horses & torque, leather vs. cloth, moon roof vs. not, are there quality differences between the 2?? I currently own a problem plagued 99 Grand Am V6 Coupe and would like to get a better quality car so I know both would be good choices...

Does anyone know how long the TSX has been out?? The accord is in it's 8th generation and is known for it's reliabliity...

IF there are TSX owners out there who have owned Accords, I'd love your feedback on my questions...

thx.

Icecat
Old 08-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Either car is light years ahead in quality/reliability over your Grand Am V6 Coupe. In other words you are not going to be making a mistake with the Accord or TSX (since you are new, FYI, the TSX is the Euro/JDM version of the Honda Accord).
Old 08-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, they are up to a certain point apples and oranges. Honda doesn't practice GM's philosophy of multiplying the same models under different labels, example, Grand Am=Alero=Malibu, Sunfire=Cavalier, Trail Blazer=Envoy=??, Montana=Silhouette, etc.

Basically, the TSX is The Japanese and internationnal Accord chassis, but with very different specs from the US version of the Accord.

Also, if you're looking for performance higher than with the Grand Am, you will get an upgrade big time on the TSX. No need to resort to the AV6 for that. With GM, you have to buy a V6 to get some sort of power, but it is not the case with Honda/Acura.

Accord V6: Straight line power
TSX: Excellent 4 cylinder power, best handling and sportiness in the Accord family
Old 08-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should feel great about either one of those Honda products. Both will be reliable and both will be major step-ups from your Pontiac. The TSX does cost significantly more but you get significantly more with your purchase. My suggestion is if you find a way to fit the TSX in your budget, you should go with it. It's been out for about five months and there have been no serious problems with the car.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:32 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the info. I don't know much about the TSX but I have been a fan of the Integra for years - particularly the old styling from the 90's....

I'm not sure if it's worth my while spending the extra $10,000 (Can.) for the TSX....

Since the 2004 Accords are coming out in October, I've got a good deal for the 2003 LX V6 - $26,800 (dealer cost) so that's what motivating my decision right now..... At $36,000, not sure that the moonroof, leather interior (I really don't like leather), and the V4 engine is worth the extra cost....unless of course you guys think that one is substantially better than the other....

Just looking for opinions....

Thanks for your insight.

Icecat
Old 08-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Jason
You should feel great about either one of those Honda products. Both will be reliable and both will be major step-ups from your Pontiac. The TSX does cost significantly more but you get significantly more with your purchase. My suggestion is if you find a way to fit the TSX in your budget, you should go with it. It's been out for about five months and there have been no serious problems with the car.

wow! that was your 2nd millennium post
Old 08-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Santacruz
wow! that was your 2nd millennium post
Getting close to my football I.Q. now...
Old 08-27-2003, 08:38 AM
such a dirty birdy

I have a TSX (almost a week now!) and have had an Accord for over 12 yrs and a Civic before that. My take on it is that both cars are going to be approximately the same wrt reliability and quality. If one car is going to have an edge there, it's probably the TSX. There is no guarantee of 100% reliability with any particular car, but Honda's reputation as one of the best quality manufacturers is deserved. The TSX uses slightly better quality (or at least better looking and feeling) materials inside. TSX being built in Japan may mean better build quality - or not, opinions vary on that one. In my experience, your odds are good that you'll have better dealer relations w/ Acura.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Icecat, 36,000 is overpaid for the TSX. I bought mine at 34850$ all included except taxes. The deal on the LX V6 seems really good, though, and you will not have to expect any problems on the car.

I too, when I bought the TSX, though the price increase compared to a plain Accord was very steep, and have wondered for a good while why the hell should I pay the extra for what I was looking (HID, basically). But then I agreed with myself and the wife that since I basically live in my car, I wouldn't want to take the risk of spending the next 6 years in my Accord EX-L regretting that I could have afforded myself the more exciting TSX.

I understood after having bought the TSX why it was very worthwhile. And after 22,000km, I'm still not looking back on my purchase, much the contrary, I haven't been more convinced the car was really worth the deal.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:52 AM
8th Gear

Wow this is great - thanks folks. Since I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to decide over the Mazda 6, then the Accord, I've done a lot of posting on various forums but haven't gotten this good of a response til now - you guys rock!

I'm now afraid to try the TSX because I may end up regretting the decision with the Accord - you know, at least I won't know what I will be missing. Right now with my trade in, I'll be able to buy the Accord in cash with $$ left over. The TSX will mean a small loan...I like to own my cars not lease them...

So, a big decision...

Thanks Sauceman - appreciate your opinion on the Accord vs. TSX...

By the way, since the TSX is a V4 with only 166 lbs ft. torque - is there any power lag or hesitation at the lower end??? Just curious.... The Mazda 6 with it's Ford V6 engine is terrible for this...

Thanks guys!

Icecat
Old 08-27-2003, 08:54 AM
8th Gear

Oops sorry Majormojo - thanks for your option on the cars...
Old 08-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Icecat
By the way, since the TSX is a V4 with only 166 lbs ft. torque - is there any power lag or hesitation at the lower end??? Just curious....
I'm coming from a 3.2CL Type S and I don't think there is any power lag or shortage of power. I also think it depends on whether you want a stick or auto. Obviously, the Accord is only available in auto form so you probably want an auto. But if you might enjoy a stick, I'd highly recommend it on the TSX. Another thing to think about is it's not just HID and leather that's extra on the TSX, there's about 15-20 differences by stepping up to the TSX, and that's against an Accord EX.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:01 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I too was looking at the Accord EX V6 or the TSX. I could of had the Accord for 30,500 at the time and instead decided to spend the extra 4K on the TSX.

Drive both and you'll understand why. The TSX has a much sportier feel, looks worlds better than the Accord IMO (subjective) and has one of the best interiors in all of cardom. Besides I just could'nt personally get past the old man or family man stigma that comes with the Accord. And the back end is simply hideous. If those things don't bother you, you like the looks, and are'nt to concerned about great handling then the Accord is a helluva car with one of the best engines in the biz.

But the TSX is a true sport sedan with the looks to match.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Instructor

The TSX's Inline-4 is great in terms of low-end power and drivability. It rivals small V6s in this regard. It is definitely more drivable than the Mazda 6, which I felt like had to be clutched out at above 3000RPMs to avoid stall/studder. Don't let the seemingly low crank torque number fool you. Gearing is a wonderful thing.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:14 AM
Advanced

What transmission are you looking at?
Automatic or Manual?
Doors? 2 or 4?

In other words, how much value do you place on handling and driving experience versus practicality?

If you're talking Accord LX V6 Sedan 5AT vs TSX 5AT, you will likely prefer the Accord, going by your statement on the financial side since it doesn't sound like the incremental virtues of the TSX will weigh much with you.

You can't really go wrong with either, and coming up from a Grand AM you are in for a major boost in reliability and fun to drive, anyway. You'll do fine with either choice.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:31 AM
8th Gear

You guessed right, I am looking for an automatic 4 door. Trunk space is a make or break factor since I play a lot of hockey. Also the width and low lift on the trunk in the Accord sold me on the car. The trunk space on the Acura is a bit smaller but of course I haven't tried it yet.

Yes I am looking for a practical vehicle, but fun is also nice. I have to admit, I never liked leather (sticks to you in summer months) & is nasty in winter (heated seats in a must) and the moon roof's added wind noise doesn't outweigh the advantages...

So you are right, I'm not sure if perhaps the Accord is a better choice for me....but the TSX is a good option.....
Old 08-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Advanced

You guessed right, I am looking for an automatic 4 door. Trunk space is a make or break factor since I play a lot of hockey. Also the width and low lift on the trunk in the Accord sold me on the car. The trunk space on the Acura is a bit smaller but of course I haven't tried it yet.

Yes I am looking for a practical vehicle, but fun is also nice. I have to admit, I never liked leather (sticks to you in summer months) & is nasty in winter (heated seats in a must) and the moon roof's added wind noise doesn't outweigh the advantages...

So you are right, I'm not sure if perhaps the Accord is a better choice for me....but the TSX is a good option.....
On your concerns:

1- The TSX leather is perforated; so far, it has neither fried my buns nor stuck to me.
2- The only time I have so far detected any wind noise from the moon roof I discovered I hadn't fully closed it. ;-)
3- Technically, the TSX trunk is marginally larger than the Accord.
4- The sportshift feature of the automatic can be a lot of fun.
5- Handling on the TSX is decidedly more fun than the Accord; the thing takes curves as if on rails.
6- Acceleration with the automatic is nothing to worry about; it is more than adequate. The engine is smooth as silk and has power to spare.
7- Fuel economy is actually a small plus for the TSX.
8- The TSX real end looks way better than the accord rear end. >;-)

So, yes, sports sedan issues aside, the TSX is also quite practical.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by fjtorres
On your concerns:

7- Fuel economy is actually a small plus for the TSX.
Correction here, fuel economy on the TSX AT is better than on the 6MT, but not better than an Accord. The Accord 5AT is rated by Transports Canada at 43 mpg, and the TSX AT at 39. What's more, the Accord fuels on regular while the TSX requires premium.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:03 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by sauceman
Correction here, fuel economy on the TSX AT is better than on the 6MT, but not better than an Accord. The Accord 5AT is rated by Transports Canada at 43 mpg, and the TSX AT at 39. What's more, the Accord fuels on regular while the TSX requires premium.
Not that I don't believe that transport Canada has posted those numbers But I have a very hard time believing the Accord V6 will get better fuel economy than an Auto TSX. I'm sure the TSX is better, marginally better yes, but still better. Using Regular in the Accord more than makes up for it though.

We're talking Accord V6 here right? The Accord 4 will obviously be better than the TSX.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:04 AM
Drifting

The Accord 5AT is rated by Transports Canada at 43 mpg, and the TSX AT at 39.
Crack for sale! Get your crack right here! Yummy delicious crack for sale!
Old 08-27-2003, 10:06 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Jason
Crack for sale! Get your crack right here! Yummy delicious crack for sale!
I'm sure he's posting numbers for the Accord 4 Cylinder?
Old 08-27-2003, 10:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by domn
I'm sure he's posting numbers for the Accord 4 Cylinder?
Yes! Most definitely! Sorry, my bad.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Accord vs. TSX: Apples & Oranges?

Hi folks:

Does anyone know how long the TSX has been out?? The accord is in it's 8th generation and is known for it's reliabliity...

IF there are TSX owners out there who have owned Accords, I'd love your feedback on my questions...

thx.

Icecat
I have owned Accords for 20 years now. They are very solid cars and have established a well deserved--if not unexciting--reputation. My first two Accords achieved >200,000 miles without requiring engine overhaul, clutch replacement, or transmission work. I lost track of the first one, but a friend drives the second one, and it still runs solidly. The A/C is out on the second one, however.

My current Accord has 108,000 miles and is like the second one, never requiring engine overhaul, clutch replacement, or transmission work. It's A/C need recharging. Over the past 13 years, it has had a defective ignition relay switch (a few dollars for the part) and a substandard distributor, which Honda replaced even though it was out of warranty.

That the TSX is built on the Accord platform--common for both the North American and JDM/European Accords--lends credibility to the TSX. I consider the TSX to be an Accord variant with many nice enhancements, so no, it's not comparing apples and oranges. It's comparing a Golden Delicious with a Mackintosh or a Fuji or a Granny Smith apple. Some are harder or softer, have more flavor, etc.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Dunno 'bout any canadian tweaks; HONDA USA quotes the LX V6 at 21/30 MPG vs 23/33 MPG for the TSX.

http://www.hondacars.com/images/bann..._factsheet.pdf

Allowing that the accord drinks regular and the TSX prefers premium fuel, the fuel efficiency advantage is slight but still real
Old 08-27-2003, 01:07 PM

The accord is in it's 8th generation and is known for it's reliabliity...

Well there both nice cars the Accord is on its 7th gen and i would take the coupe Accord v6 over a tsx but not the sedan.i also agree that the sedan rear end is just the worst but the coupe is amazing.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:21 PM
More On

Originally posted by adam fiooz
.......i would take the coupe Accord v6 over a tsx but not the sedan.i also agree that the sedan rear end is just the worst but the coupe is amazing.
Nice post, flooz!

About the Accord coupe, I disagree only a little. On the "old site," I started a thread that everybody thought was ridiculous, about how the TSX was the "Best Car Up to $80K" if you had to fulfill certain criteria -- FWD or AWD, very good reliability, sporty feel, good handling, reasonably good ride. On those criteria, if you wanted to argue for some other car besides the TSX, I thought the best case was made for the Accord coupe.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:33 PM
8th Gear

I really like the Accord Coupe but a I need a 4 door since I'm commuting with others to work...too much wear & tear and not to mention complaints the rear entry on the Coupe....

I'm still a bit hesitant about the TSX being only 4 months old on the Can. market....despite the fact that it's an Honda...it's still a first gen. car...vs. a 7th gen. car...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:40 PM

Then get the tsx. The Accord sedan rear is to fu....cken ugly.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Icecat, I'm not sure what "generation" really has to do with anything regarding these cars. The 2003 Accord was all new from the ground up. It shares pratically nothing with the 98-02 Accords. Granted the engine technology is similar but lets not forget that the CR-V and Accord 4 Cylinder use a variant of the 2.4 K series found in the TSX.

And the biggie here is that (and this was mentioned before) The TSX is a Version of the Honda Accord. Its an Accord everywhere else in the world besides the US and Canada. The cars share platforms, engines and many many parts. Any reliability issues you have with the TSX should also be had with the Accord. So your argument about the TSX being 1st generation is false, as the Accord has been sold in Europe and Japan for just as long as the Accord. So I guess its an 8th generation car as well.

Main Differences as I see them

1) Price - Adv Accord
2) Space - Adv Accord
3) Fuel Cons - Adv TSX
4) Quality/Feel - Adv TSX Built in Japan, Accord built in US (Minor at best)
5) Handling - Adv TSX
6) Acceleration - Adv Accord
7) Looks - Adv TSX (Subjective)

Reliability should be a draw.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:02 PM
More On

Icecat, I'm not sure what "generation" really has to do with anything regarding these cars. The 2003 Accord was all new from the ground up. It shares pratically nothing with the 98-02 Accords......
Great point, and I don't think it's been made on here before. Arguably the Accord is more of a new model than the TSX.

It's just the new "name" that throws us off and makes us think TSX is a new model and N.A. Accord isn't.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Banned

My previous car was a 99 Accord. I was planning to buy a 2003 Accord sedan until I saw one!! I am very happy with my TSX.
P.S. TSX trunk is deceptive. It's not as wide as an Accord's trunk, of course, but it's pretty deep (as in vertical measurement). You would be amazed at how much luggage you can pack in that trunk.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

I read that the European version of the Accord was introduced in Europe in late 2002--that's the same body style shared with the TSX.

Before that, I don't know of the previous European or Japanese market Accords. Were they the essential the same body style as the NA Accords??
Old 08-28-2003, 07:15 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Brad
I read that the European version of the Accord was introduced in Europe in late 2002--that's the same body style shared with the TSX.

Before that, I don't know of the previous European or Japanese market Accords. Were they the essential the same body style as the NA Accords??
Yes the Euro/JDM Accord ws introdued in late 2002 and is basically a rebadged TSX save for the different interiors. The previous Euro/JDM Accords were also very different from the NA Accords. They were again on the same platform but a smaller version just like it is now. Europeans and the Japanese don't in particular like big floaty cars with V6's. The don't have the space and can't afford the fuel.

I'm pretty sure the first time NA got their own "big floaty" Accord was model year 98. Previous Accords came with a V6 option but the 98 came to play with 200HP which in my mind gave Honda and the Accord even greater credibility. And it was the first to go directly after the Taurus and other American made family haulers. The previous genertaion Accords were always considered kind of small and not capable of hauling around a family.

I really don't know if that 98-02 Accord was sold under a different model name in Japan and Europe but I'm almost sure it was'nt.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:42 AM
Advanced

If I am correct, the TSX is the real Honda Accord. In Asian and European countries, the TSX is the honda accord. The North American Honda Accord is called the Inspire. Oh well! No matter what, both are good cars.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:29 AM
More On

Originally posted by Gboyz78
If I am correct, the TSX is the real Honda Accord. In Asian and European countries, the TSX is the honda accord......
Yes, but there are some differences. We've had hot debates about how significant those differences are -- but nobody disagrees that the Euro Accord and the TSX aren't exactly the same (and not just about frills like interior).
Old 08-28-2003, 11:33 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

What are the other differences Larch? I thought it was mainly just the frills?
Old 08-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Here's the deal on the TSX's trunk and hockey equipment:

Accord's rear seat back folds down as one single piece. TSX's rear seat back is split 60/40, however there are two annoyances with the TSX's fold down rear seat back. First, only the smaller portion folds down flat. The bigger side will not fold down completely flat due to the center armrest hitting the center piece in the bottom of the seat. It does go down about 80 to 90 percent of the way. Second, to drop the seat backs down as far as they will go, you either have to remove the headrest or move the front seats forward. Otherwise the headrest will hit the top portion of the front seat on its way down.

With regards to room, you can get two hockey bags (full of equipment) in the trunk but it's tight. If either one is a goalie's bag, forget it. Only one will fit then. However, if you fold down both portions of the rear seat back you can put a second bag there instead. But I don't like dragging stuff in and out of the rear doors (afraid of scratching stuff).

I don't recall if the Accord has the same issue with the headrests hitting the back of the front seats on the way down. But I don't think so with the Accord's longer wheelbase.

But for one bag and sticks, I just drop the small portion to put my sticks through, drop in my bag and I'm off. It's when you pick someone up that it get's trickier. Also, depending on how long your sticks are, they may just fit in the trunk at an angle.

Also, I've never seen heated cloth seats. The TSX does have two setting heated seats. Though, the seat back of the passenger seat is not heated due to an airbag sensor. I'm guessing the Accord EX with leather is the same.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:56 AM
More On

What are the other differences Larch? I thought it was mainly just the frills?
This link will put you to the last page of a thread where we were duking this out:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...5&pagenumber=6

That page sort of summarizes it.

It's mainly power and suspension.