ACCIDENT - Can my TSX ever be the same?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ACCIDENT - Can my TSX ever be the same?

I have a 2005 TSX - I was hit by a Nissan Altima going between 25-35mph, and it hit directly on the driver side rear wheel - that took most of the damage.

The shop said there was no visible damage to the suspension, and they recommended going ahead with about $11,000 in repairs, and when they put it all together, they will realign the car. I complained saying that they were asking me to approve repairs before knowing all the damage. A week later, they called and said they put it on the rack, and they did discover it was out of alignment. Now they say they will replace the suspension crossmember and the left knuckle taking the total up to $13,500.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what i should ask the collision repair shop? I'm not sure they are catching all the damage. At this point, I'd almost like to get the car declared as a totalled car and get something new because i don't have confidence they can fix it to the way it was.

Can anyone speculate on the chances of the car being returned to normal?

Any ideas? Suggestions? Advice??? Thanks!

For now, driving a rental Camry...argh!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hey man, first off glad your ok! Second, you posted this in the wrong section but a moderator will move it shortly i'm sure.

Regarding your accident though, if you do a search a search for my thread, i actually had an accident VERY similar to yours. I was hit by a girl who ran a red light at about 45-50MPG in the driver side rear as well and the damamge was $12,500 when all was said an done. I had a Pontiac Grande Prix as a rental for a month....not all that fun, it was a boat. Anyway, regarding what happened when i got my car back, it was def NOT the same. In fast, it was so much different and i was so annoyed with the whole process that i actually traded in that 04 TSX for my now new 06 TSX. The paint looked amazing, couldn't tell the difference however, the door didn't line up fully, the wheel stuck out about 1/2" farther than the other side, and there was something wrong underneath that i couldn't figure out what it was, but when i took off my comptech rear sway bar in order to put the stock one back on (for trading in purposes) i had to hang on it to get it back in. Something was messed up but i couldn't tell exactly.

Lesson- MAKE SURE YOU FIND A GOOD BODY SHOP THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!! I would try maybe going through your local dealer and see who they use, it may even be backed with some type of warranty.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask me

Sorry again the car though....it sucks, i know!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I would assume that if your car's frame was bent out of line, then your car would never been the same. My old car's frame was bent out of shape after my accident, and they "supposedly" fixed the frame (took them two times to get it right) and when I got the car back, it just wasn't the same. But anyway, after any accident, you'll have the gut feeling that your car will never be the same.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Instructor

find a competent body shop. i find that 95% of the repairs that are done all bullshit by morons who can't tell their foot from their arm. also, repair is subjective. Repair to some guys can mean try to straigten it out as much as possible without having to replace anything. a good and competent body shop guy will remove and replace most things (suspension, rails, strut towers, etc). obviously the "replace" route is mroe expensie then the "repair" route, but it doesn't matter as long as the insurance company is paying!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Instructor

furthermore, if repairs are initiated and the body shop can argue and proove everything is alright, the insurance company will not write it off after dumpting 13 000 into repairs. you will have to tough it out and try to make sure all the issues are resolved before you take the car back.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Thread moved.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pondmonk
Does anyone have any suggestions of what i should ask the collision repair shop? I'm not sure they are catching all the damage. At this point, I'd almost like to get the car declared as a totalled car and get something new because i don't have confidence they can fix it to the way it was.
You might approach whatever insurance company is paying for it about totaling it. From a $$ perspective, it may not be quite high enough (but still might be close), but typically it would need to 70-80% of the value just to total it based on $$.

The real question is how bad is the frame (unibody) in this case bent. If it's really bad, they should total it. If not, it can be fixed.

There is an Acura TSB about frame repairs that should be followed.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 AM
3rd Gear

Hey, thanks everyone. Re the body shop - I took it to the dealer's body shop since insurance will cover it, and that way, if they screw up the repair, they have the resources to fix it or sell me a new car at a good price, etc. I know it's bent - for sure, but i can't get them to check it further. They said they warranty the repair for life, and i'm going to get them to promise me a loaner car if it ever needs to be brought back for repairs. I guess, i can always trade it in like Jwood_06TSX. Jwood, did you trade your car in or sell to a private party?

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Banned

I got hit inthe front bumper and it was alittle push in but no dent.

The dealer quote it me $800 they said it includes to realign and replace the front bumper.

Do you guy's think anything will be damage inside or other than front bumper? Dealer quoted me was based on visual from the outside. By all means anything inside goes wrong will cost more.

Below are pictures for you guy's to take a look. And give me ideas please.

http://pic39.pic.wretch.cc/photos/21...1304772793.jpg

http://pic39.pic.wretch.cc/photos/21...1304772794.jpg

http://pic39.pic.wretch.cc/photos/21...1304772795.jpg

Thanks Please Help Me

Any Good BODY Shop In Houston?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 AM
Banned

http://www.wretch.cc/album/show.php?...1304772793&p=0

http://www.wretch.cc/album/show.php?...1304772794&p=1

http://www.wretch.cc/album/show.php?...1304772795&p=2
Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pondmonk
Hey, thanks everyone. Re the body shop - I took it to the dealer's body shop since insurance will cover it, and that way, if they screw up the repair, they have the resources to fix it or sell me a new car at a good price, etc. I know it's bent - for sure, but i can't get them to check it further. They said they warranty the repair for life, and i'm going to get them to promise me a loaner car if it ever needs to be brought back for repairs. I guess, i can always trade it in like Jwood_06TSX. Jwood, did you trade your car in or sell to a private party?

Thanks again.
I traded it in because i was sick of the whole process. I probably could have made about $1-$2k more if i sold it private party, but they gave me $17k for it, which i thought was pretty good seeing as how it had been 4 accidents (only 1 was reported and the other were minor fender benders when my uncle owned the car), and it had been pretty modded with Tein coilovers, sway bar, intake, and a few others. They also knocked the price of the 06 left over pretty significantly, i walked OTD with a 06 AT for $24,890!! Oh yea, and my car that i traded in was an 04 AT w/ 40k miles on it and perfect shape otherwise.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
I once purchased a car that was in a minor rear end accident. The car drove fine for 2 ½ - 3 years. I then started have all kinds of electrical problems (windows would not roll up, climate control worked intermittently, etc.), the half-ass paint job started to chip/peel, unusually wear patterns on rear tires, and finally the rear drive shaft bearings exploded while driving on the interstate a 70 mph. I was lucky to fix the car to make it drivable and traded it in on my first Honda (never drove another car type since).
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Doesn't seem to have any internal damages..

Only way to find out really is to take it apart.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PWTSX
I got hit inthe front bumper and it was alittle push in but no dent.

The dealer quote it me $800 they said it includes to realign and replace the front bumper.

Do you guy's think anything will be damage inside or other than front bumper? Dealer quoted me was based on visual from the outside. By all means anything inside goes wrong will cost more.

Below are pictures for you guy's to take a look. And give me ideas please.

http://pic39.pic.wretch.cc/photos/21...1304772793.jpg

http://pic39.pic.wretch.cc/photos/21...1304772794.jpg

http://pic39.pic.wretch.cc/photos/21...1304772795.jpg

Thanks Please Help Me

Any Good BODY Shop In Houston?

From what I see on yours..... I had a similar accident on mine and which was eventally a bit worse.... as my TSX's bumper was cracked underneth. Anyways, inside the bumper has a foam type of material for absorbing impact... Once the bumper is hit, with over the manufacture suggested allowable limit, most likely the foam might have been deformed & destoryed. quite sure if the bumper has not been cracked, it can be buffed and re-paint, but the foam underneth has to be replaced... which cost $200 approximately in Canadian for material only, plus the paint job. Just to make sure there is crack on the bumper then you shall be ok without replacing a new one but the foam.