Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spelling error . my bad
Old 04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Well... not a 6M driver but a 5A. I occassionally use the SS mode and hit Vtec about a couple of times a month. It feels really nice and it's fun. I dont think it'll hurt the engine otherwise the engineers would've never put the Vtec into there for you to rev up past 6000 RPM;s. If it hurt the engine and you weren't supposed to activate Vtec, it would defeat the purpose of putting in Vtec in the first place. Relax, it's an engine that doesn't get it's peak power until higher in the RPM band so it's designed to rev.

can you hit 7300 - 7400 with 5A?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by julyccc
can you hit 7300 - 7400 with 5A?
Sure, in SS mode.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

allllll the time
Old 04-15-2006, 02:29 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

twice or three times a week. TL
Old 04-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Banned

everytime i drive =D
Old 04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
no0bIe

I too have a 5AT. I probably hit vtec once or twice a month. Like I mentioned before I baby her too much.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by madmanmax3000
7600 baby! lovin' Hondata
Any of you other Hondata owners realize that you could go higher than 7600 during the upshift? I've noticed that it neared 7900 a few times for a quick moment before landing in the next gear.

The impressive thing is -- the car feels like it could rev more beyond that. No heavy vibration, but the torque and hp dropoff makes it pretty foolish to go any higher.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Instructor

what's so special about redlining? doesn't it just kill your mpg (if you do it often)?
Old 04-16-2006, 08:50 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tracerit
what's so special about redlining? doesn't it just kill your mpg (if you do it often)?
teh fast
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Once Every 3 Months... Gas = $2.86/Premium and in about 2 weeks.. news says it will be up .25cents and into $3.10 by summer
Old 04-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
About once a month when I'm cranking a CD louder than I should be. I never go into the red on purpose, but I push it as close to 7000 as possible several times every weekend.

I'm probably being over-protective, but I think it's red for a reason. If anything's going to pop, snap, or grind, I figure it's going to be more likely in the red zone, so I try to keep my baby in the 4-6k range most of the time.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's why they have a cut off. It keeps you from going too far. I think those who do it only a couple of times a month, and then brag that they get over 30mpg should just go trade there cars in for an Accord 4cyl. Your not using the engine for what it was intended. Better yet, go get a Prius and put a body kit on it. This way you can still look "cool" and get you gas mileage.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JTC05
That's why they have a cut off. It keeps you from going too far. I think those who do it only a couple of times a month, and then brag that they get over 30mpg should just go trade there cars in for an Accord 4cyl. Your not using the engine for what it was intended. Better yet, go get a Prius and put a body kit on it. This way you can still look "cool" and get you gas mileage.

OOOOOO harsh!!!!!

I drop the hammer every weekend. (I drive my 92 lude during the week) Except when my girl is in the car. I had her in tears the first week I drove her in my car.

And they say the TSX isn't fast
Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 AM
No-navi, yo

The fact remains:
If you purchased TSX BECAUSE you wanted a sports car with fast acceleration, you did not do your homework.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csharp57
OOOOOO harsh!!!!!

I drop the hammer every weekend. (I drive my 92 lude during the week) Except when my girl is in the car. I had her in tears the first week I drove her in my car.

It's more of a fun jab. The TSX was built as a sport luxury with emphasis on sport. I just feel that to often people will love to express how great the gas mileage is on the car and then find out that they only redline the car once or twice a month. I enjoy driving quickly when the road conditions allow. My gas mileage suffers from it but I do not care. If I wanted 30 mpg I would have looked in to a Civic or an Accord. You could easily do a few easy mods on a Civic EX and have a car that looks as good as a TSX. It just won't go as well.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Racer

don't forget to check your vtec fluid levels if you're doing it often....
Old 04-17-2006, 10:38 AM
6MT or Death

I used to have a 98 taurus that got about 18mpg so the 24-25mpg I get now is pretty nice to me. I've got about 6K miles on the 06 TSX I bought in November, and I DRIVE that car. I try to be good and give the engine some time to warm up before I wind it up. The other day I comitted such a horrible sin I feel the need to be publicly chastised.

I was pulling onto a highway and the person in front of me was going about 35mph. This absolutely drives me insane because it is horribly unsafe to approach a lane of traffic that's moving at 60-65 mph going 30mph slower. So I was flustered and when to get around him when I realized I was still in 2nd. I realised this because I heard a noise like I pushed the clutch in and the revs jumped to the right.

The car's anti-dumbshit system seems to work just fine. I was driving WOT, went passed redline, and the car took care of itself. This is the only time I will praise dbw, and only because it saved me. and by me I mean my engine.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by formerRSX-S
don't forget to check your vtec fluid levels if you're doing it often....

what! vtec needs fluids? crap
Old 04-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csharp57
OOOOOO harsh!!!!!

why is she in tears?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Old 04-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
The fact remains:
If you purchased TSX BECAUSE you wanted a sports car with fast acceleration, you did not do your homework.
I'll put it up against an Accord 4cyl. or a Civic(not SI) any day of the week though. And that is the fact. Why bother spending the money on the V-Tech and not wind the engine up and enjoy it. It might not qualify as fast acceleration in your books, but by no means is it slow. Maybe your shifter wouldn't be so busy if you stopped short shiffting.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by julyccc
what! vtec needs fluids? crap
Yeah, it's called oil...
Old 04-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Wink

I declined the vtec option when I bought my car. Do you think that was a wise choice?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 AM
No-navi, yo

I'll put it up against an Accord 4cyl. or a Civic(not SI) any day of the week though. And that is the fact. Why bother spending the money on the V-Tech and not wind the engine up and enjoy it. It might not qualify as fast acceleration in your books, but by no means is it slow. Maybe your shifter wouldn't be so busy if you stopped short shiffting.
If I tell you that TSX was not as fast as Mazda 3, would that hurt your feeling?

But you are right, I keep busy shifting -- one of the fun/challenge I like to do while driving is to see how seldom/little that I use break.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by feliz
Exactly, and the same with the RSX, it's a last generation Civic and has been left behind.

Acuras have never been about power and we all new that when we bought one, although it was embarrasing when my friend's son beat my TSX with his Mazda3.

I think Honda's strategy of sticking with small displacement front drive cars works with entry level go to the market cars but it's hurting them in the upscale market. Am I the only one that thinks the RL would sell a few with a decent V8?
Found it! And here is the link, see post #60.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=3&pp=25
Old 04-18-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by raynord
I declined the vtec option when I bought my car. Do you think that was a wise choice?
So you got the DX Accord TSX? Good choice!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Instructor

Found it! And here is the link, see post #60.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...7&page=3&pp=25
And your going to base that on one person's post. If you read the follow ups, you can see that it was highly doubted. Maybe the guy driving the TSX was only shifting at 6k and not using the vtec. Which is pretty much what started this. Any test on a Mazda3 with the 2.3 engine, has never bettered a 16.0 1/4. The TSX has been tested as quick as 15.3 and as slow as 15.7. Either way that is any where between 4-8 car lengths. If you look at the tests on TOV, even a Auto in SS will be in the 15's. Sorry, but you are way wrong. And to top it off the 3 with the 2.3 is said to be a "sport hatch" not an economy car like a Civic. The kid who got beat should either quit trying to race or learn how to drive.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:11 AM
No-navi, yo

And your going to base that on one person's post. If you read the follow ups, you can see that it was highly doubted. Maybe the guy driving the TSX was only shifting at 6k and not using the vtec. Which is pretty much what started this. Any test on a Mazda3 with the 2.3 engine, has never bettered a 16.0 1/4. The TSX has been tested as quick as 15.3 and as slow as 15.7. Either way that is any where between 4-8 car lengths. If you look at the tests on TOV, even a Auto in SS will be in the 15's. Sorry, but you are way wrong. And to top it off the 3 with the 2.3 is said to be a "sport hatch" not an economy car like a Civic. The kid who got beat should either quit trying to race or learn how to drive.
This has gotten rather tiresome. Am I based on a person's experience? Yes, as it had happened, and maybe the Mazda3 has some mod in it that contributes to the result of the race. Should I take too much account based on one peson's post? No, whatever you think does not really make any difference in my life. Nor is winning an argument on the internet. But then, it probably matters a lot to you.

According to the number you posted, TSX is 0.7 to 0.3 seconds faster than Maxada 3 in a a quarter mile run. Great. 4-8 car length, even better. So..., winning from start against a Civic, Accord I4, and Mazda 3..., makes you feel good and macho, and confirmed you made of right choice of buying a TSX??

Please keep on bragging your TSX has a faser acceleration than a Civic or Accord. Better yet, why don't you post here everytime you got a "kill" against a Civic? I mean, if you do take PRIDE in that, you should share it with us.

On the side note, did you read the other thread that people wanted to trade in their STI for TSX because of the better MPG ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here, dude, this is my TSX. Check it out."
"Wow, nice"
"Yeah, isn't it cool? And it's fast too; it BEATS Civic or Accord, or even a Mazda 3 any time from a stop light"
"Damn..., a Civic, no, you don't say... I heard Civic SI is a quite something".
"No no no..., no SI. Are you crazy? That is not REALLY a Civic, isn't it? I mean just a Civic."
"oh..., and Accord, do you mean...?"
"Just a 4-cylinder, it has to be a 4-cylinder. My TSX is FAST."
Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Instructor

This has gotten rather tiresome. Am I based on a person's experience? Yes, as it had happened, and maybe the Mazda3 has some mod in it that contributes to the result of the race. Should I take too much account based on one peson's post? No, whatever you think does not really make any difference in my life. Nor is winning an argument on the internet. But then, it probably matters a lot to you.

According to the number you posted, TSX is 0.7 to 0.3 seconds faster than Maxada 3 in a a quarter mile run. Great. 4-8 car length, even better. So..., winning from start against a Civic, Accord I4, and Mazda 3..., makes you feel good and macho, and confirmed you made of right choice of buying a TSX??

Please keep on bragging your TSX has a faser acceleration than a Civic or Accord. Better yet, why don't you post here everytime you got a "kill" against a Civic? I mean, if you do take PRIDE in that, you should share it with us.

On the side note, did you read the other thread that people wanted to trade in their STI for TSX because of the better MPG ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here, dude, this is my TSX. Check it out."
"Wow, nice"
"Yeah, isn't it cool? And it's fast too; it BEATS Civic or Accord, or even a Mazda 3 any time from a stop light"
"Damn..., a Civic, no, you don't say... I heard Civic SI is a quite something".
"No no no..., no SI. Are you crazy? That is not REALLY a Civic, isn't it? I mean just a Civic."
"oh..., and Accord, do you mean...?"
"Just a 4-cylinder, it has to be a 4-cylinder. My TSX is FAST."
Jackass, this wasn't about the fact that the TSX could beat a 3 or a Civic. It was that some people don't ever take the car to redline and use the VTEC and then brag that they get well over 30 mpg. The Response was that if you are looking for that then buy a Civic. The point of the VTEC was to give it he extra power. Not about drag racing Civics and Accords. Why don't you read the original post that got you started with your verbal diahrea. The TSX is more enjoyable and spirited to drive. If you don't get it then why buy one. If you are not looking to try to win a fight then why the dick postings? Issues of some sort I take it.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 AM
No-navi, yo

Jackass, this wasn't about the fact that the TSX could beat a 3 or a Civic. It was that some people don't ever take the car to redline and use the VTEC and then brag that they get well over 30 mpg. The Response was that if you are looking for that then buy a Civic. The point of the VTEC was to give it he extra power. Not about drag racing Civics and Accords. Why don't you read the original post that got you started with your verbal diahrea. The TSX is more enjoyable and spirited to drive. If you don't get it then why buy one. If you are not looking to try to win a fight then why the dick postings? Issues of some sort I take it.
Alright, aliright, you have a FAST TSX. Happy?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb

Alright, aliright, you have a FAST TSX. Happy?
You still don't get it. I guess I'll just assume that you have issues. It's not about being fast, it's just an improvement. Kind of like opting for Navi and never using it. Get it now? Why bother paying more for something you don't use?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Racer

Old 04-19-2006, 01:28 PM
No-navi, yo

You still don't get it. I guess I'll just assume that you have issues. It's not about being fast, it's just an improvement. Kind of like opting for Navi and never using it. Get it now? Why bother paying more for something you don't use?
I agree with you -- 1. TSX is a very fun car to drive; 2. paying $2000 for a Navi and never bother to turn it on is dumb. But then, what are you really talking about in "kind of like opting" and "something you don't use"?

Are you talking about "redlining"? An analogy of redlining a engine would be blasting the stereo system in full volume. So if you don't blast your stereo at the maximum volume then you are not really "USE-ing" your stereo system? Hence, a total waste to equip speakers, radio and CD player in the car?

Or maybe you are talking about "VTEC"? VTEC is a technology that's used to design and build a Honda engine, and it's not something that can be turned on or off like a turbo with the engine running. When a Honda engine is running, it's a VTEC design in display. But it's true that there are different stages in VTEC. VTEC allows high horsepower output in high RPM, but that's only half of the benefit in VTEC. The other half, which might be shocking to you, is it allows the engine to be fuel efficient in low RPM. You read right -- fuel efficiency, in another word, it allows high MPG number. That is really what VTEC is -- it provides the best of both worlds, fuel efficiency (in low RPM) and good horsepower output (in high RPM). There are numerous discussions about VTEC in the forum in the past. If you do a search, you will be able to find it.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Instructor

I agree with you -- 1. TSX is a very fun car to drive; 2. paying $2000 for a Navi and never bother to turn it on is dumb. But then, what are you really talking about in "kind of like opting" and "something you don't use"?

Are you talking about "redlining"? An analogy of redlining a engine would be blasting the stereo system in full volume. So if you don't blast your stereo at the maximum volume then you are not really "USE-ing" your stereo system? Hence, a total waste to equip speakers, radio and CD player in the car?

Or maybe you are talking about "VTEC"? VTEC is a technology that's used to design and build a Honda engine, and it's not something that can be turned on or off like a turbo with the engine running. When a Honda engine is running, it's a VTEC design in display. But it's true that there are different stages in VTEC. VTEC allows high horsepower output in high RPM, but that's only half of the benefit in VTEC. The other half, which might be shocking to you, is it allows the engine to be fuel efficient in low RPM. You read right -- fuel efficiency, in another word, it allows high MPG number. That is really what VTEC is -- it provides the best of both worlds, fuel efficiency (in low RPM) and good horsepower output (in high RPM). There are numerous discussions about VTEC in the forum in the past. If you do a search, you will be able to find it.
Well, you just in a round about way just agreed with me. Just like at low RPM it is fuel efficient, at high RPM it makes horsepower. If you are not going to use the high RPM then what's the point. Buy a Civic or an Accord . Cranking up the stereo is a bad analogy. A better one would be opting for a great stereo and then running a casette through an FM transmitter. We all know that the TSX get's great mileage and we all know that VTEC allows horsepower along with it. If you are not going to use the horsepower part of it, then why bother? Try to focus on that a little and stop making it to something else.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
No-navi, yo

Well, you just in a round about way just agreed with me. Just like at low RPM it is fuel efficient, at high RPM it makes horsepower. If you are not going to use the high RPM then what's the point. Buy a Civic or an Accord . Cranking up the stereo is a bad analogy. A better one would be opting for a great stereo and then running a casette through an FM transmitter. We all know that the TSX get's great mileage and we all know that VTEC allows horsepower along with it. If you are not going to use the horsepower part of it, then why bother? Try to focus on that a little and stop making it to something else.
I just think you are a poor-informed consumer. That's it.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by formerRSX-S
Old 04-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Suzuka Master

...We all know that the TSX get's great mileage and we all know that VTEC allows horsepower along with it. If you are not going to use the horsepower part of it, then why bother? Try to focus on that a little and stop making it to something else.
If all you care about is the horsepower, then why wouldn't you get a car with more...... horsepower?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ClutchPerformer
If all you care about is the horsepower, then why wouldn't you get a car with more...... horsepower?
Both of you miss the point. I care about horsepower and gas mileage. This is what the TSX gives a good mix of. My point was for those who never wind out there engine, then why bother with spending more on a TSX than a Civic or an Accord with a 4cyl. You will get great gas mileage and spend less. You can even use regular gas. The fact that you are seeing that this is a care of just horsepower is wrong. It is not posted anywhere that it is about horsepower only. Gas mileage only, yes.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Instructor

I just think you are a poor-informed consumer. That's it.
If realizing that buying a TSX over an Accord or Civic 4cyl. is going to give me a bettter horsepower with near equal gas mileage, then I would rather be poor-informed then what ever you call yourself. Poor informed in my books is the jackass filling his car with premium fuel at every gas stop and then never taking advantage of it. But he is proud that he can get 35 mpg.

Quick Reply: 6M drivers - How often to you red line your TSX