4500 RPM limit when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
4500 RPM limit when stopped

Amusing little experience today (and I searched but could not find another reference).

Stopped at a light, in neutral, off the clutch. I wanted to rev it a bit because I had added a fuel system cleaner and wanted to work it through the revs a few times, hoping to help the cleaner out...

...what should happen, but the engine hits a rev limit at 4500! WTF, I thought perhaps the gas was bad, but taking off, it ran smoothly up to redline. Took a moment on a quiet commercial street to fiddle with it, and the limit is only there when your wheels are not rotating.

Any experiences or knowledge?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
never had that experience before.. sorry that I couldn't help.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
it so you don't blow you engine... you shouldn't be revving that high when there is no load on the engine...
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Yea, when not under load (in neutral), the rev limit is 4500rpm.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PACman
Yea, when not under load (in neutral), the rev limit is 4500rpm.
it's by design. AT is 5000 and the limit is lower if not warmed up.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ I have AT and went up all the way to 5k!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe AT's still have the load of the torque converter to spin up?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by savage
it so you don't blow you engine... you shouldn't be revving that high when there is no load on the engine...
OK...why? Now, I'm not suggesting that it's a good practice, but I doubt the engine would blow from just that...(but I'm not an engineer...)

My understanding of the difference between reving to 7000+ under load (in gear) and not under load (in neutral) is that the acceleration of the engine would be faster with no load...but it seems mechanically unlikely (if not plain impossible) that one condition would shread the engine where the other just lets you accelerate well. Now, if the arguement was about a lack of cooling air flow, we can talk.

One thought of "concern" was that to get a fast 0-60 time it is sometimes necessary to rev the car up to a high rpm and dump the clutch (I do not know what the accepted practice is for maximizing your acceleration in a TSX, so I'm NOT suggesting doing this)...so if a gear is selected, but the clutch is not released, is it still a 4500 limiter? What is the switch...neutral position switch, ABS sensors not in motion, etc? I also wonder why this isn't referenced in the OM or the SM (that I could find).
Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 AM
OEM plus!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rev limiters on a naturally aspirated car are a good thing. Not so much on a car with forced induction though. But thats besides the point. Be glad that it's there, cause if your motor is up at 7000 rpm and somthing goes wrong it's going to be big.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by A Cake On
Rev limiters on a naturally aspirated car are a good thing.
Agreed...if it doesn't big brother me at a stand-still! This is pissing me off...anyone got Honda's reasoning?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ Honda thinks the TSX is not a race car and can't think of a reason why you would want to?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Engineer

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
OK...why? Now, I'm not suggesting that it's a good practice, but I doubt the engine would blow from just that...(but I'm not an engineer...)

My understanding of the difference between reving to 7000+ under load (in gear) and not under load (in neutral) is that the acceleration of the engine would be faster with no load...but it seems mechanically unlikely (if not plain impossible) that one condition would shread the engine where the other just lets you accelerate well. Now, if the arguement was about a lack of cooling air flow, we can talk.
I should have probably said that better, i doubt it would blow your engine if you did it a couple times but over time it think it would wear down the engine and lead to problems. Someone had explained it once, I can't find the post, but the engine is designed to support some minimum load which should be present during those high rpm's to help balance the internals.

One thought of "concern" was that to get a fast 0-60 time it is sometimes necessary to rev the car up to a high rpm and dump the clutch (I do not know what the accepted practice is for maximizing your acceleration in a TSX, so I'm NOT suggesting doing this)...so if a gear is selected, but the clutch is not released, is it still a 4500 limiter? What is the switch...neutral position switch, ABS sensors not in motion, etc? I also wonder why this isn't referenced in the OM or the SM (that I could find).
I am not sure what the switch is on the TSX, it is probably the car's ecu which should know the speed of the vehicle for VSA and such. Reving up and dropping the clutch is good for launch times, but you can also over-rev on a launch and lose traction. I think Hondata may raise that rev-limiter slightly but i don't think it would remove it.

some related links...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33728
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14085
Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dumping the clutch won't increase the acceleration when the wheels are hopping. I believe VSS (vechicle speed sensor) is responsible for detecting movement of the car and limits the rpm. The fuel cut-off info is in the service manual under Fuel & Emissions section.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by JTso
Dumping the clutch won't increase the acceleration when the wheels are hopping. I believe VSS (vechicle speed sensor) is responsible for detecting movement of the car and limits the rpm. The fuel cut-off info is in the service manual under Fuel & Emissions section.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not looking to race the TSX, and I don't do tire squealing launches anyway. I just don't like a nanny that I haven't been told about and that I can't disable if I wish.

I know ABS falls in this category...and yes, I'd like to be able to turn it off (but I know why we can't...lawsuits. Of course, if you hit someone on gravel you can sue the manufacturer for not providing an off switch as it is proven that locking the tires on gravel reduces your stopping distance). I'm just opposed to dumbing down your control options on a vehicle because the population, in general, is too stupid to be trusted with such control.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The current BMW M3 has the same feature. Apparently a lot of people were revving the engine, with no load on it, and destroying the head. German engineering...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Engineer

the M3 had a bad bearing... that is why so many we blowing their engines... i remember hearing about a couple people who blew their engines while just cruisin on the highway, not reving hard...

http://yoy.com/yoy/auto/m3_failwhat.shtml
http://members.roadfly.org/jason/m3engines.htm

also the M3 has a real launch mode with SMG. The new M5 and M6 also have this. Basically you press the brake, step on the throttle and it will launch at the optimum RPM each time... They also supposedly have an easter egg mode which lets you launch them even higher, but i think after a limited amount of those launches your warranty on the power train expires. Something about how each of those launches eating up clutch...
Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Revving with no load at full throttle causes a high rate of RPM increase, which is bad for your engine. If you were to rev it up to 7000rpm in neutral at the same rate as you would in 1st gear, it won't be as bad.