4 banger shootout?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 04:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sauceman
620$ is not the critical point for me, you gotta be kidding. It is the fact that it is on gas, and gas alone, in a budget that has many more spendings to take into account. Do you know that with this sort of high mileage, I have to budget some money to set aside in case of big repairs? I got caught by engine failures and other major things of that sort, and I am not too fond of having too do those repairs on credit. Just my way of dealing with it. And BTW, I am building myself my own retirement plan... It's just a matter of where you put your priorities.

And I don't expect you to understand what it implies to travel so much. You know, it is very easy tosay go buy a Kia, but I'd love to see you drive that Kia 50k every year for six years, lol.

But I manage my budget, that is for sure, and where I can save, I will save, and it will go into a bigger downpayment for the next car. I understand I drive at least twice more than 90% of the people out there, but do you bash on someone trying to be economical and efficient with their budget? If that is so, I also wish I had so much money to waste here and there that I could look down to others the way you do. Hell, I wouldn't even be on this thread aguing and giving shit to everyone, because I'd rise above.

And like I said, I bought the TSX, because it has more power than many V6, but consumes less gas than many other I4s. I don't give a rat's ass about the social status a 25k car brings you.

Since I am a calculator, and I try not to waste too much, I do calculate my mpg on every gas tank, and I do get the 33mpg average on my 6MT, mostly because I do drive on the highway. I also drive usually (at least during working days) at 65mph. This does 2 things for me, help me save gas, but also stress, since I don't need to try and force my way around traffic, I just flow with it. It also avoids road rage for me, because being the grumpy bastard that I am, I'm prone to it.

Now, about the engine taxing. I have heard and read of what the government projects to do to conform to Kyoto, and don't worry, it is not the industrial sector who going to cope this time, it is us citizens. At least in Quebec, one of the options that are looked at, is that:

-4 cylinder and less engines will be either left untaxed, or even granted with a tax credit, because they are less pollutant engines.

-6, 8, 10, 12cylinder engines and up will be imposed a proportionnal tax (emissions tax). So, if you want to buy a big polluting SUV (and I think this is the base of the reasonnning), you will have to pay more, with the hope it will discourage some users, and help them "choose" to buy a 4 cylinder car.

This is nothing definite so far as I know, but don't worry, it will come into effect someday or the other, you can be sure of it. And yes, it is discriminatory, and not fair towards ULEV 6 cylinders, but that is the way it is. By the way, I'd like you to name me those ULEV V6s,. because I didn't know there were any.

Edit: I wasn't calling you asshole because of that 620$ thing. It is because of your general attitude here.
ULEV...easy one...3.3 V6 in RX330 , new solara, 3.0 V6 in camry.

yes, you have to budget car expenses, but how many cylinders is irrelevent to your car expenses. in the end, your argument is a 6cylinder will cost you 620 more a year, and my point was if you cant afford an extra 620 a year, you have no business driving a TSX.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Now, about the engine taxing. I have heard and read of what the government projects to do to conform to Kyoto, and don't worry, it is not the industrial sector who going to cope this time, it is us citizens. At least in Quebec, one of the options that are looked at, is that:

-4 cylinder and less engines will be either left untaxed, or even granted with a tax credit, because they are less pollutant engines.

-6, 8, 10, 12cylinder engines and up will be imposed a proportionnal tax (emissions tax). So, if you want to buy a big polluting SUV (and I think this is the base of the reasonnning), you will have to pay more, with the hope it will discourage some users, and help them "choose" to buy a 4 cylinder car.
Or you could move south to the US, where our newest administration has decided to ignore Kyoto entirely.

Les pluies reçues acides?
Old 08-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Well, actually the reason I am looking into the TSX is because I love so much the Fiat and Alfa engines. They are happy high rev engines that make any econobox a blast to drive. I only wish Alfa would be back in the states. Actually, somebody said that the TSX is the closet thing to an Alfa 156. It is true, and it is a good thing.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:36 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
SRT 20 de Bullett Proof.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by ALFA
Well, actually the reason I am looking into the TSX is because I love so much the Fiat and Alfa engines. They are happy high rev engines that make any econobox a blast to drive. I only wish Alfa would be back in the states. Actually, somebody said that the TSX is the closet thing to an Alfa 156. It is true, and it is a good thing.
Alfa IS coming back to the U.S.

Can't wait!!!
Old 08-23-2003, 11:56 AM

why cant i say anything about iraq? i cant say anything but the US gets not only to say stuff but invade and occupy as well? war rant off

Reporter adam fiooz in bagdad.....Fuck IRAQ!!
Old 08-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
ULEV...easy one...3.3 V6 in RX330 , new solara, 3.0 V6 in camry.

yes, you have to budget car expenses, but how many cylinders is irrelevent to your car expenses. in the end, your argument is a 6cylinder will cost you 620 more a year, and my point was if you cant afford an extra 620 a year, you have no business driving a TSX.
To you I may have no business in driving a TSX, but I have my own TSX, accounted and paid for. You have no right in telling whether I deserve or not to drive the TSX, you snobby little bitch.

I have paid $34,800 net for my car, have a gas budget of around 4500$ per year, and I won't agree to pay a penny more. And the TSX fits right in. The rest of the money is used somewhere else. And none of that regards your business.

Back off dude, and show some respect. I pay for my car just like you pay for yours. Nuff said. End of discussion.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

To you I may have no business in driving a TSX, but I have my own TSX, accounted and paid for. You have no right in telling whether I deserve or not to drive the TSX, you snobby little bitch.

I have paid $34,800 net for my car, have a gas budget of around 4500$ per year, and I won't agree to pay a penny more. And the TSX fits right in. The rest of the money is used somewhere else. And none of that regards your business.

Back off dude, and show some respect. I pay for my car just like you pay for yours. Nuff said. End of discussion.
so if you drive over your allocated km's or you encounter traffic, once you reach $4500 you will walk? All i was saying, if a TSX owner can not accomadate an extra $620 on fuel costs, their budget is stretched way to thin and shouldnt be driving a TSX..but of course its your choice..you are making it sound like if should the price of gas go up and you go over 4500...will you have to walk b/c you cant afford more gas? or do you eat once a day instead?
Old 08-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Hey Motown

I know Alfa is comming back, but when?? They keep postppning the return and I need a car now. I still need to make up my mind between the TSX, G35, 04 TL and Vector. Isn't it amazing I actually have a choice of fine 4 dr sedans with manual transmissions that are not german. Even the Accord EX is tempting ( I don't buy german cars because they have not treated my people very nicely in the recent past)
Old 08-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

23mpg is the average city milage, and 32mpg is the average highway milage, silly gilbiatch.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gilboman
so if you drive over your allocated km's or you encounter traffic, once you reach $4500 you will walk? All i was saying, if a TSX owner can not accomadate an extra $620 on fuel costs, their budget is stretched way to thin and shouldnt be driving a TSX..but of course its your choice..you are making it sound like if should the price of gas go up and you go over 4500...will you have to walk b/c you cant afford more gas? or do you eat once a day instead?
I am going to reply to you this one last time, and put and end to this after.

I think I've already said that money was not a problem. I can double or triple my gas budget without going hungry. I was going for an S4, originally, and found that the TSX had enough features to make me change my mind. It is just that I hate spending money, I will split the penny in two for some things I find has secondary importance. Gas is one of these things. Car and image is another of these things. Performance, and driving excitement is not, it is of utmost importance to me, because if I start getting bored in my car, I could start losing motivation to go out there everyday.

The reason why gas spending, to me, is something I should be spending as little as possible on, is this:

When I do business with my customers, what they love, is when I give them a lot of importance, make them feel like I really love doing business with them, and work to build strong partnerships, with them. I know for sure I love it when the people I buy products or services from act this way with me. It is the same for me when I'm on the buyer's side. My bank is my best example. When I walk in, it's always, "hi, mr. Perron, how are you? Are you travelling to Europe this summer?" or, "How do you like your TSX? How much mileage now?", things like that. They know me, because they ask questions, and they remember about me. And I feel good and important to them. This is what I call good business between partners.

Gas companies are at the geographic pole of this. Actually, they are on another orbit. I am absolutely disgusted about being dependent of someone who knows it, fluctuates their prices by over 30% yearly, and when they bring up sharp price raises, like it's just been done, is "Oh, the reserves have dropped dramatically", when, just before the electricity went out, they were boasting a solid 3-month reserve. No other business partner has the arrogance that petroleum companies have. It enrages me, and I am fiercely against this abusive philosphy of business. And they even have enough (can't find the right words), as to brag and tell us every semester about how they make profit records. And it brings me out of myself, because am totally powerless, I depend on gas to make a living.

The only thing about this I can do is try and have the least to do with them, and be as little dependend on gas companies as I can. But since performance and driving sensations are of great importance to me I have to balance this with my hatred of gas companies, so this and other reasons, results in me driving a TSX, instead of a Civic Hybrid. But I will not go over 4 cylinder performance, although sometimes I dream about it.

But like I said, it is not a money problem. I am more afraid of the end of the world than the end of the month.

By principle, I try and throw as little money as possible to gas companies because of their disgusting business philosophy. And don't get me wrong. I am not one of those extreme lefties who anger at them because they are rich. I don't give a rat's ass about that, I hate the abuse.

I hope now you get the picture right.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 08-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Instructor

The reason why gas spending, to me, is something I should be spending as little as possible on, is this:

I am absolutely disgusted about being dependent of someone who knows it, fluctuates their prices by over 30% yearly, and when they bring up sharp price raises, like it's just been done, is "Oh, the reserves have dropped dramatically", when, just before the electricity went out, they were boasting a solid 3-month reserve. No other business partner has the arrogance that petroleum companies have. It enrages me, and I am fiercely against this abusive philosphy of business. And they even have enough (can't find the right words), as to brag and tell us every semester about how they make profit records. And it brings me out of myself, because am totally powerless, I depend on gas to make a living.
Phew, that's quite a rant, and such an unexpected topic. Don't you find that many other organizations display similar contempt for their customers? Examples might be drug companies, phone companies, credit card companies, the frickin government. It's not that I think you're wrong in what you say, I'm just surprised you take it so hard. Anyway, I'm glad you like your TSX - the Audi S4 would have driven you mad as the gas mileage is horrible.

C.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

True, but I'm not as dependent on them. But yes, this topic/rant has brought us to an unexpected lenght for sure, lol.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ALFA
Hey Motown

I know Alfa is comming back, but when?? They keep postppning the return and I need a car now. I still need to make up my mind between the TSX, G35, 04 TL and Vector. Isn't it amazing I actually have a choice of fine 4 dr sedans with manual transmissions that are not german. Even the Accord EX is tempting ( I don't buy german cars because they have not treated my people very nicely in the recent past)
2005 or 2006, hasn't been set in stone yet.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by dnb
Here's a counterquote from Terminator 2:

"You can't just go around killing people!"

"But I'm a Terminator."

Counter-counter quote (from "Lake Placid"):

"I'm rooting for the alligator, I hope he eats all your friends"
Old 08-25-2003, 04:59 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by TSXinCA
Counter-counter quote (from "Lake Placid"):

"I'm rooting for the alligator, I hope he eats all your friends"
if these quotes are still political, I hope I'm reading THAT one wrong.