Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 AM
G36
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody must live down hill!!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
08 MDX with Sports

I get steady 24-25/gallon driving in NJ-NYC areas...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:25 AM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get around 21/gallon driving like 80% local/20% highway in NYC.

i'm starting to do stupid things like coast more to improve it. haha. i just don't really drive much highway.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Race Director

Now today while driving to work I only got a combined 30.7 mpg 15% city/ 85% highway.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Advanced

I just achieved 530 miles out of my tank and was at 0 for a while. When I filled up I put 14.5 gallons and the MID said 37.7 average.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Race Director

whats your tire pressure and how fast do you drive to get to 37.7 mpg?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Advanced

I think that wind, temperature, and speed have everything to do with the mileage. I reset the MID every time I fill up. I did 98% highway on this trip and was amazed with the fuel mileage. I drive between 70-75. I took pictures with my phone camera because no one I talk to believes me, but I don't have a clue how it happens, but it happens consistently. On the highway I always leave the car in SS mode to keep it from random down shifts. I never thought the TSX could do so good on gas...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced

500 miles on one tank is definitely doable... I drove from Vegas to the Bay Area with A/C on averaging 70-75 mph and I got ~510 miles..
Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 AM
G36
Instructor

No offence, but I really question these numbers that are floating around. First, I have to ask what size tires are people running, then, what electronic mods, ie, chips/tuners etc. If nothing is recalibrated after the electronic mods, then your calculations will definitely be off!!! That means, blow off the readings the instrument cluster is showing you!!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G36
No offence, but I really question these numbers that are floating around. First, I have to ask what size tires are people running, then, what electronic mods, ie, chips/tuners etc. If nothing is recalibrated after the electronic mods, then your calculations will definitely be off!!! That means, blow off the readings the instrument cluster is showing you!!!!
Totally stock!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Advanced

100 percent stock, tires at 32 psi, and two people in the car with luggage. If you have to question these numbers, I am sorry you aren't getting such great mileage.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:37 AM
BHF
Cruisin'

100 % stock also. My 38.1 was calculated manually. 312 miles, 8.18 gallons of gas. I even used the exact same pump to fill up before and after the trip. I do attribute some of the better numbers I get to altitude. At higher altitudes my theory is that because of the thinner air the ECU leans out the fuel/air mixture to compensate, resulting in less HP but more MPG.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM
G36
Instructor

Those who live in higher altitudes don't need to really run premium fuel, even if these engines are electronically controlled and fuel injected. As in the old days of carbureted, with a higher performance gas motors, it was a waste of $$ and fuel to run a higher grade as the altitude richens up the mix. So, if you had a carbureted engine that ran on premium fuel at sea level, you would run regular in the higher altitude.

Those that are getting the numbers stated here, that's great, but I still seriously question numbers over 30-31 mpg. JMHO is all and no harm no foul to anyone. My wife runs 18" RonJon wheels with Michelin tires and doesn't have a lead foot at all, running 35 PSI in tires and the best freeway is 30 mpg. I'm sure Commiefornia gass also has something to do with my numbers!! Guess it's time to dump some Lucas in the tank and see what happens.. Fill procedures also has something to do with outcome, not all pumps are the same and each fill isn't the same. When I do mpg calcs for my diesel, You have to fill the tank till you see fuel in the filler neck!!! This is the only way to get the most accurate number available for that tank!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
4th Gear

For you who are trying to reach 500 miles a tank.

Yeah, I use to see how far I could go on a tank of gas in my old truck (2001 GMC Sierra) and then I had to get a new fuel pump because of the stress it puts on the pump when you have little gas in the tank. Now I fill up at a little below 1/4 tank left. The extra time at the pump will save me hundreds of dollars of repairs in the future. Its worth it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 AM
G36
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlkoning
For you who are trying to reach 500 miles a tank.

Yeah, I use to see how far I could go on a tank of gas in my old truck (2001 GMC Sierra) and then I had to get a new fuel pump because of the stress it puts on the pump when you have little gas in the tank. Now I fill up at a little below 1/4 tank left. The extra time at the pump will save me hundreds of dollars of repairs in the future. Its worth it.

Not really the stress on the pumps as you mention, it's sucking up the crap from the bottom of the tank that does it to the pump and injectors. It's never a good idea to run your tank to low or out of gas, problems will ensue!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:47 AM
9th Gear

The gas is always sucked from the bottom of tank. It is not being sucked up by something like a straw so having sediment at the bottom of the tank is sort of moot because the engine is always getting gas from the bottom of the tank.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Athena says 'hi'

Smart Car anyone?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Just came back from a trip to and from Albany, NY. It was 316 miles each way, I achieved 36 mpg going to ALB, 38 mpg coming back. This makes perfect sense as the return trip had more downhill grades. This was driving 60-75 mph with 36psi and I never used CC. Contrary to popular belief, cruise control only achieves better mpg on flat roads...not over "hilly" terrain. This car can certainly achieve 30-35 mpg hwy if driven correctly.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 AM
AF310

20....... I Dont Know What Im Doing Wrong? Jeeze.... I Added Some Fuel Booster As Well To Raise Up My Octane? I Dont Know?????? Maybe Thats Why I Got A Speeding Ticket... Just Cant Help To Go Fast In The Tsx...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
G36
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcumeda
The gas is always sucked from the bottom of tank. It is not being sucked up by something like a straw so having sediment at the bottom of the tank is sort of moot because the engine is always getting gas from the bottom of the tank.

??? Where does the sediment go???? To the bottom of the tank, where the unit is located! Sediment is sloshing around then diluted more at fill up to slowly settle back to the bottom. Never run it out of gas..
Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced

I have never averaged less than 29 mpg on a tank and I commute 30 miles round trip to work every day. I fill up with gas twice a month and do some side trips during the week. The TSX is great on gas and I usually leave the car in ss mode on the highway so I don't have downshifts and I always use cruise control....(I hate the dip in the floor mats from my heel). I always fill the tank up with around 14.5-15 gallons and am not afraid for my fuel pump in any way at all. I can't imagine a lot of sediment sloshing around in our tanks...that gives me the image of our fuel tanks as fish tanks...
Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by G36
??? Where does the sediment go???? To the bottom of the tank, where the unit is located! Sediment is sloshing around then diluted more at fill up to slowly settle back to the bottom. Never run it out of gas..
Where does the gas come from? The bottom of the tank. Fuel isn't drawn into the engine by some sort of straw. Also, there are fuel filter that filters out the sediment. I wouldn't suggest running out of gas, but if your argument is that the sediment is going to be sucked into the engine, then I will have to disagree. The fuel is always being drawn from the bottom. Further, if you believe that sediment is going to be sucked into the engine and the sediment comes from fueling, than, by your argument, wouldn't it be better to run the tank closer to dry? Because if you fill up at 1/2 tank and someone else fills up at close to empty, you will put the fuel, with the sediment, into your tank twice as many times.

"No matter how full it is, gasoline is ALWAYS being drawn from the bottom of your tank."

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum.../March/10.html
Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 AM
G36
Instructor

Our fuel filters are basically non serviceable, which is stupid in itself! The sediment won't necessarily be sucked into the engine as you state, but rather into the fuel system, past the filter which is loading up with the sediment, then on and into injectors, clogging, plugging and changing injection spray pattern and possibly creating injector knock, eventually resulting in injector failure. Whenever a tank is very low on fuel, refueling will most definitely stir up some kind sediment. I see it all the time on diesel engines. BTW. today's diesel engine fuel systems are much more sophisticated than our gas engines and operating at much much higher pressures with multi injection events.

All sediment comes from fueling, at all gas stations. Station tanks aren't exactly clean and thankfully most all filter the gas before it's dispensed into your tank, but and it's a big BUT, the stations don't always change those filters when they should.

It's never a good idea to run very close to empty, that's when most of the sediment can be stirred up, but by not refueling when so low on fuel, the sediment will remain on the bottom with much less chance of stir up.

"wouldn't it be better to run the tank closer to dry? Because if you fill up at 1/2 tank and someone else fills up at close to empty, you will put the fuel, with the sediment, into your tank twice as many times."

First part of question is no, explained above. second part doesn't make much sense to me, but I will say no.

What everyone should be aware of, is, try to avoid fueling after a station has just been fueled by the tanker....

If you really want to save and make last injector life, I would run an additional out of tank filter, between 3-5 Micron.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ATsxMan8305
Contrary to popular belief, cruise control only achieves better mpg on flat roads...not over "hilly" terrain.
I disagree. I regularly drive a 200 miles each way through the foothills of the Appalachians, and I get a mpg or 2 better when using cruise control versus not. It's easy to accelerate up a hill versus just maintaining speed when using my foot. The CC does a better job of just maintaining speed, which I think contributes to the better mpg.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derbaff
I disagree. I regularly drive a 200 miles each way through the foothills of the Appalachians, and I get a mpg or 2 better when using cruise control versus not. It's easy to accelerate up a hill versus just maintaining speed when using my foot. The CC does a better job of just maintaining speed, which I think contributes to the better mpg.
I think this should be debated over MythBusters :wink: The fact of the matter is, cruise control does not know when an incline is approaching, but the driver does. He/she can throttle up on level terrain (the driver) rather than in the process of going uphill (CC), thus using less gas. The cars' intertia is used more efficiently in the former compared to the latter. Temperature and wind speed also affect mpg greatly. I should test this on my next trip, though
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ATsxMan8305
I think this should be debated over MythBusters :wink: The fact of the matter is, cruise control does not know when an incline is approaching, but the driver does. He/she can throttle up on level terrain (the driver) rather than in the process of going uphill (CC), thus using less gas. The cars' intertia is used more efficiently in the former compared to the latter. Temperature and wind speed also affect mpg greatly. I should test this on my next trip, though

Mythbusters did do a thing on cruise control or at least I think they did. Im pretty sure they said it would save gas.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Mythbusters did do a thing on cruise control or at least I think they did. Im pretty sure they said it would save gas.
The only fuel efficiency test I saw the Mythbusters do was whether or not closing the rear cargo door would increase mpg. What they found was that mpg was better by leaving it UP b/c then it would induce turbulence in the bay of the pickup, promoting better aerodynamics over the roof. Interesting, but nothing I can remember about CC/noCC around hilly terrain
Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

Myth Busters also did a thing on windows open vs. AC. Man I love that show! I don't remember anything on cruise control but I'd love to know the answer...
Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by G36
Our fuel filters are basically non serviceable, which is stupid in itself! The sediment won't necessarily be sucked into the engine as you state, but rather into the fuel system, past the filter which is loading up with the sediment, then on and into injectors, clogging, plugging and changing injection spray pattern and possibly creating injector knock, eventually resulting in injector failure. Whenever a tank is very low on fuel, refueling will most definitely stir up some kind sediment. I see it all the time on diesel engines. BTW. today's diesel engine fuel systems are much more sophisticated than our gas engines and operating at much much higher pressures with multi injection events.

All sediment comes from fueling, at all gas stations. Station tanks aren't exactly clean and thankfully most all filter the gas before it's dispensed into your tank, but and it's a big BUT, the stations don't always change those filters when they should.

It's never a good idea to run very close to empty, that's when most of the sediment can be stirred up, but by not refueling when so low on fuel, the sediment will remain on the bottom with much less chance of stir up.

"wouldn't it be better to run the tank closer to dry? Because if you fill up at 1/2 tank and someone else fills up at close to empty, you will put the fuel, with the sediment, into your tank twice as many times."

First part of question is no, explained above. second part doesn't make much sense to me, but I will say no.

What everyone should be aware of, is, try to avoid fueling after a station has just been fueled by the tanker....

If you really want to save and make last injector life, I would run an additional out of tank filter, between 3-5 Micron.

Wouldn't there be a less chance of stirring it up by not taking turns or braking or accelerating too? And just because the fuel filter is "basically unserviceable" doesn't mean it does not work. Read the link I attached before. The Car Talk guys, who also graduated from MIT, know what they are talking about.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 AM
G36
Instructor

LOL, I work around some highly educated people, with multiple degrees and they are some of the not so bright people I know!

If your fuel filter is still working and plugging up, the fuel pump is laboring and will crap out much sooner than it should.

I like your exaggerated humor, but on the flip side, don't drive at all and no sediment will slosh around
Old 05-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Pro

well i don't believe our fuel filters are non-serviceable.. just maintenance-free.. that is that we don't need to put any thought into protecting/changing it unless a problem occurs.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:06 AM
Pro

well you guys also have to take something into consideration, with cruise control the fuel that is being pumped into the engine is going at a steady rate as opposed to your foot's constant increase/decreasing which also contributes a large part to poor gas mileage. I sometimes find myself speeding up unknowingly on the highway which results in braking and a loss of fuel economy.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:48 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BHF
100 % stock also. My 38.1 was calculated manually. 312 miles, 8.18 gallons of gas. I even used the exact same pump to fill up before and after the trip.
Wow I just refueled with 313.6 miles (75% highway) on the odo and had to put in over 11 gallons to get it full! My MID was telling me 30.9mpg, but working the number by hand I see it was really just a disappointing 27.6mpg. My biggest disappointment with my 2006 TSX has been with it's "poor" mileage figures. All my other Hondas have always soundly beat their published MPG figures, but this car struggles to even match them!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
STL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1Louder
In my Civic the optimum RPM was around 2200. In my TSX, I've observed that on a level road I can hold 50 MPH right on the 60 MPG mark and the engine turns about ~1800 RPM. At 60 MPH it's at ~2000. I'm thrilled this car is geared to go highway speeds very efficiently.
That good gearing only applies to the 5AT! For some stupid reason the engineers decided to gear the top gear in the 6MT lower than the top gear in the 5AT (despite the fact the MT has an extra gear to work with).

Originally Posted by 1Louder
The drag must be low too, as folks seem to go 70 and still get above 30 (wind resistance becomes your biggest enemy after 40 MPH). I'm taking a long trip at the end of the month - anxious to find out it does at 70-75 MPH.
Well my 6MT's gas mileage seems to take a nose dive from 70mph to 80 mph. And don't believe the MPG figures that the car calculates (via the MID or NAVI) because they are overly optomistic by at least 1.5mpg -- and I've personally seen the error as high as 3.3mpg!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Wow there is some terrible misinformation on here. I’m a mechanical engineer; your fuel pump isn’t being stressed from sediment in your tank. All fuel pumps have a pre-pump filtration device. You can clog these filtration units which cavities the pump and can be harmful but as long as the filtration requirements were engineered correctly no sediment should be getting into the pump that will hurt it. Injectors can be clogged by particals in the fuel system but they usually come from corrosion that occurs beyond the fuel pump. With the better materials that are being used in fuel systems today it is less of a concern. Additionally most injector clogging is due from residues building up that are left behind by the gasoline in your tank, which is why they make fuel system cleaners. With the majority of the country switching over to 10% ethanol gasoline these fuel system cleaners are no longer needed as ethanol has excellent cleaning capabilities.

The most likely case that the fuel pump is being harmed when you run your tank low is that the fuel pump is becoming overheated. Pumps are mounted intake now for two reasons, noise suppression and cooling. The cooling comes from sitting in the fuel, when you run your tank until it’s almost empty more and more of the fuel pump is being exposed to stagnant air instead of fuel. The pump heats up the air much quicker than it heats up the fuel and eventually will burn itself up.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:48 AM
G36
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
well i don't believe our fuel filters are non-serviceable.. just maintenance-free.. that is that we don't need to put any thought into protecting/changing it unless a problem occurs.

Being maintenance fee is what happens when you need to replace the part!

Gues2:

If the filtration, pre or otherwise, wasn't clogging up, from sediment or other contamination, the pump shouldn't cavitate. If it is cavitating, it's laboring and heating up, which will eventually lead to the pump failure. Your post is pretty much on the $$! If those filters are clogging up with sediment or any other contamination in the tank, issues will arise. The reasons for less mpg is because of today's fuels. Ethanol is no different, it equals less mileage but burns cleaner. Diesel is no different, now that I have to run ULSD, my mileage has dropped some because the Sulphur has been removed. It will only get worse with more government intrusion.