2010 tsx

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
2010 tsx

I know I'm in first gen...I had a loaner second gen TSX auto and it was/is a dog compared to my (hand me down) First gen 6 manual...What did Acura do to it...I like the looks, but the performance/handling was lacking...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
electronic steering for one
Old 10-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
I know I'm in first gen...I had a loaner second gen TSX auto and it was/is a dog compared to my (hand me down) First gen 6 manual...What did Acura do to it...I like the looks, but the performance/handling was lacking...
Interesting that you're OK with what they changed (the looks), but was disappointed with what they didn't (the drivetrain, aside from turning a slightly larger tire, is for the most part identical to the 1st gen.). I will admit though that I haven't driven (or even sat) in one. I still can't get by the looks; 3 years later and I haven't grown accustomed to that face (or the rest).
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Interesting that you're OK with what they changed (the looks), but was disappointed with what they didn't (the drivetrain, aside from turning a slightly larger tire, is for the most part identical to the 1st gen.). I will admit though that I haven't driven (or even sat) in one. I still can't get by the looks; 3 years later and I haven't grown accustomed to that face (or the rest).
Go figure, I thought it would handle and drive better. They must have also changed the exhaust because I could not hear the dam engine..oh well...Yes I do like the looks, heck the wife's got a 2010 TL shawd 6 manual..We have embraced the Beak.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
I've had about 3 loaner 2010/2011 TSX the last few years and it "seems" it has less performance. The 5AT I4 accelerated and hits the curves about the same as my 06 TSX. The newer TSX feels less connected to the road because it is larger and has better sound/vibration insulation (electric steering, less engine noise, lower vtec engagement, etc…). There is more between you and the road with the 2nd Gen TSX. I can feel the road more through my hands, feet and butt with my 1st Gen TSX. Kinda like 30 mph on a bicycle feels faster than 40 mph on a motorcycle. Not enough improvements on the +2009 TSX to make me want to upgrade.

My two main turn-offs for the +2010 TSX:
- Front beak
- Honda Accord interior dash

I think the +2009 TSX has the best looking lines and a pretty sweet A$$ compared to the TL or RL. Every time I pull behind a +2009 TL I think to myself “What the hell are you smiling about” when I look at the rear.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I had a loaner 2010 TSX last year and found it interesting to compare the two models.

I agree with others about the styling in the front -- I do not like the big beak or the enormous, high hood (to meet European pedestrian safety laws), and do not seem to be warming to it, either. However, like Mr. Gold, I do like rear view. It has a substantial, almost mean stance to it.

The interior was a mixed bag. The dash and materials were harder plastics than in in the 1G, (no soft touch materials anywhere), and to me, look and feel cheaper. As Mr. Gold said, it looks like a U.S. Accord dash. The exception are the seats...the leather is clearly softer and nicer than in the 1G.

The driving experience was interesting. I found the engine to have VTEC engagement points similar to the Hondata tuned 1G engines, (as reported elsewhere)...but the car is heavier and more ponderous, negating much of the effect. The biggest problem was that aforementioned electric power steering, which the car magazines also disliked. Compared to the precise, direct steering of the 1G TSX, it felt disconnected...even hard to tell where the center was on the steering while going straight down the road. Almost like driving a video game while sitting on the sofa, instead of a real car. (Supposedly it saves a little gas vs. hydraulic steering, but it is not an "Acura Advance" in my book...it's a problem, especially for a driver's car.)

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 10-14-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

The interior and newer tech features =

Numb Handling, heavier weight, external appearance = :thumbsdow

I can accept the numb handling and disconnected driving style but the overall exterior design is horrendous and unforgiving even after 2 years since its debut. Might as well get a Toyota Camry.

On the bright side, the 1st gen TSX owners can appreciate their cars more!

Last edited by xenonhid; 10-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:40 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
I have driven 2010, 2011 tsx's and tl's as loaner cars while my tsx was being serviced. Since they are all automatic I can not really have a good comparison. The front beak has grown on me and it is not that bad.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by xenonhid
The interior and newer tech features =

Numb Handling, heavier weight, external appearance = :thumbsdow

I can accept the numb handling and disconnected driving style but the overall exterior design is horrendous and unforgiving even after 2 years since its debut. Might as well get a Toyota Camry.

On the bright side, the 1st gen TSX owners can appreciate their cars more!
Agree totally with the last line. It's been my experience that every now and then, a company gets it just right (my B5 Audi A4 and S4 come to mind) and I think Honda got it "just right" with the 1st gen of the 1st gen, (04-05). I think every line on that car is just about perfect. Rounded where it should be, a crease or straight line where it should be. This really shows up when my 05 is sitting next to mummy's 07. I also agree with the Camry comment made above. IMHO, there's just no part of the 2nd gen that is an improvement in appearence and it really does look kind of like a Toyota (and I sense a pattern here because I also think that's just what the new Civic looks likes: a Toyota).
Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ug, the beak... I had a loaner for a couple days (nearest dealer is about 2 hours away...) and, wow... BORING. Numb is an understatement. Maybe if I didn't actually like to drive, I would have found the numbing sensation relaxing or something, I don't know. All I know is, when I got my car back I actually didn't mind the boring drive 2 hours home as at least the car was better! (and I was showing 35.3mpg with an average speed of 77 ). I'll be getting a loaner again soon too. Bleh. (*never* a good sign when you actively don't want the latest model of your car)

Biggest sign of the dulldrums was my husband. He's got an '05 WRX but still loves my car (though would prefer a manual-- I had reasons I needed an auto...). He drove it on an errand, and handed the keys back to me when we got there, he was bored already.

Big, squishy, numb... A recent Car Talk blog about Honda's, uh, issues, summed it up about perfect: "Instead of giving the customer what it thought he or she needed, Honda started copying other market leaders and listening to its new breed of customers, sheep themselves, who told them they wanted their cars bigger, heavier, faster, all in all, more like the cars the other manufacturers were offering."
Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I knew it was not just me...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all of the 5AT TSXes are pretty sluggish. crappier gear ratios, and it sounds like a civic/lawn mower when you go WOT on the highway at 60mph to pass someone.

the 6MT on the other hand is great, both on the 1st and 2nd gen. i owned an 05 and now a 2010, both stick. shifting your own gears manually eliminates any gear hunting/wandering that the auto does, and the gear ratios are closer, which aids in keeping the engine in the 5500-7200 RPM range longer. also, the 6MT is one of the better gearboxes around...the only car that i miss shifting more is my S2000 that i sold.

FWIW, the 6MT will take about ~15.5 sec @ 90mph in the 1/4 mile, whereas the 5AT will do about 16.1-16.5 @ 86mph.