2007 G35 vs. TSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 G35 vs. TSX

I finally got the chance to go down to the Infiniti dealer to look at the '07 G35's.
I am considering trading in my '06 TSX, not because I'm unhappy with it but because the G35 offers so much more (namely power & RWD) at the cost of $3-5k more than a TSX (though I am a bit disapponted with the handling of the TSX on stock suspension).

I went in with the goal of only test driving a G35 Sport 6MT, no other model. To my disappointment, the salesman told me they will not be getting any 6MT's until January. I didn't want to waste the salesman time so I declined his offer to test drive the auto model.
Hence, I only got to compare the interiors of the two.
I'm not going to get into the features that it has over the TSX because as a car in a class above the TSX, it should and better have more features.

TSX owners, here's the good news.
TSX interior materials are nicer than that of the G35, except the leather. The G35 wins a few points here and there, but the overall execution of the TSX interior is better by just a bit.
It's hard to quantify, but I just feel more at home in the TSX.

The upper dash, center console and door plastics on the G35 are harder plastic and a grade below the TSX.
Headliner material is about the same.
I found fitment and fit issues on the rear door pulls, where the plastic didn't quite fit into the door moldings. And this was not just on one G35; I found it to be the same on all 3 floor models.
Those were my main gripes.

Here's where the G35 shined.
The sport seats are amazingly confortable. Extending thigh supports, power adjustable side bolders, power lumbar... it's got just about every adjustment possible. I don't think it's possible not to find a comfortable driving/seating position if you are a normal sized human being.
Again, the leather is nicer.
The matte wood on the G35 is nicer than the glossy TSX wood trim, but I don't like wood in cars so I wouldn't get it anyway.
The washi paper trim has a nicer feel than the TSX silver painted plastic, but TSX fake aluminum is much nicer to look at. Acura did a good job on making it look/feel good.
The navigation dial is much easier to use than the joke of a joystick found in the TSX. I can't speak much for usability and interface since I didn't test drive one.
I also like that it has standard composite inputs for DVD/video input, as well as standard audio aux in.

Anyway, after playing around in the G35 for half an hour, I felt confident hopping back inside my TSX, that it can hold its own against cars in a class above it.
I definitely wouldn't be upgrading to the G35 just for the interior alone. It's going to take one heck of a test drive to sway me
Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psteng19
I finally got the chance to go down to the Infiniti dealer to look at the '07 G35's.
I am considering trading in my '06 TSX, not because I'm unhappy with it but because the G35 offers so much more (namely power & RWD) at the cost of $3-5k more than a TSX (though I am a bit disapponted with the handling of the TSX on stock suspension).

I went in with the goal of only test driving a G35 Sport 6MT, no other model. To my disappointment, the salesman told me they will not be getting any 6MT's until January. I didn't want to waste the salesman time so I declined his offer to test drive the auto model.
Hence, I only got to compare the interiors of the two.
I'm not going to get into the features that it has over the TSX because as a car in a class above the TSX, it should and better have more features.

TSX owners, here's the good news.
TSX interior materials are nicer than that of the G35, except the leather. The G35 wins a few points here and there, but the overall execution of the TSX interior is better by just a bit.
It's hard to quantify, but I just feel more at home in the TSX.

The upper dash, center console and door plastics on the G35 are harder plastic and a grade below the TSX.
Headliner material is about the same.
I found fitment and fit issues on the rear door pulls, where the plastic didn't quite fit into the door moldings. And this was not just on one G35; I found it to be the same on all 3 floor models.
Those were my main gripes.

Here's where the G35 shined.
The sport seats are amazingly confortable. Extending thigh supports, power adjustable side bolders, power lumbar... it's got just about every adjustment possible. I don't think it's possible not to find a comfortable driving/seating position if you are a normal sized human being.
Again, the leather is nicer.
The matte wood on the G35 is nicer than the glossy TSX wood trim, but I don't like wood in cars so I wouldn't get it anyway.
The washi paper trim has a nicer feel than the TSX silver painted plastic, but TSX fake aluminum is much nicer to look at. Acura did a good job on making it look/feel good.
The navigation dial is much easier to use than the joke of a joystick found in the TSX. I can't speak much for usability and interface since I didn't test drive one.
I also like that it has standard composite inputs for DVD/video input, as well as standard audio aux in.

Anyway, after playing around in the G35 for half an hour, I felt confident hopping back inside my TSX, that it can hold its own against cars in a class above it.
I definitely wouldn't be upgrading to the G35 just for the interior alone. It's going to take one heck of a test drive to sway me
i think you made a very good assessment. although i don't really consider the g35 necessarily a class above the TSX. my coworker is currently on pace to buy one, and once you start adding all the features, it does climb up in price, as do all of the cars that we compare with the TSX.

your points on the seats are so true though. i thought this with the older seats, and i love the g35 sedan's seats. i heard the 2007 only got better.

it's a nice car, but you do pay for the difference. you would have paid dearly for trading in a 2006 TSX on one. enjoy your TSX for a few years, and stop torturing yourself looking at other cars. I'm comfy with my tsx probably until 2009 model cars start coming out, then i'll look for my next vehicle. hopefully i'll own the TSX outright by then, and it will become a nice 2nd vehicle.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
*choking* *cough* You said only $3k to $5k more, so I decided to try building my own 07 g35 6mt. Just to get the 6mt, you pay $1k more. To get the moonroof, bluetooth, 6-cd in-dash radio, memory seat position, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, dual zone auto climate control, homelink, and automatic anti-glare rear view mirror, you need the premium package which is $2850.

To get my TSX's features, I'd have to pay $39,750. $3k to $5k would be a bare-bones model...with no bluetooth, moonroof, etc.....

*faints* $10k more for RWD and more horsepower isn't worth it...maybe an RL would be better
Old 11-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Pro

this is my first and last japanese vehicle. ( planning to drive until i finish grad school)
never gonna go for another one cause i can't think of any good other than Acura.
next one's gonna be C55 AMG.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by jaehshim
this is my first and last japanese vehicle. ( planning to drive until i finish grad school)
never gonna go for another one cause i can't think of any good other than Acura.
My dad only drives american and german vehicles. He won't even ride in an import. The funny thing is that his cars are always falling apart. We even tried selling a car to the junkyard, and we ended up having to pay them to take it away (it was a low demand vehicle that would probably have just taken up space)

Once my parents separated, my mom and I only went with imports. My mom abuses her car...she'll go a couple of years without oil changes, etc. The cars are running fine. My brother agrees with my dad and bought a ford...after a few months, he started having problems..as of right now, he has no odometer, among other things. I'm sticking with imports until I'm rich enough to replace a german car whenever one starts falling apart
Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Accord 03 to TSX 06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A used C55 AMG? Good luck with the maintenance

Or a new C65 AMG? Now that's a screamer.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:28 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
what do you mean by "good"?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
My dad only drives american and german vehicles. He won't even ride in an import.
So how exactly is a German car not an import? I can understand being gung-ho about only driving American (I had a friend who was like that, until I started taking him on test drive's in Acuras, haha). But if you are willing to drive a German car, what's the problem with a Japanese car?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

*choking* *cough* You said only $3k to $5k more, so I decided to try building my own 07 g35 6mt. Just to get the 6mt, you pay $1k more. To get the moonroof, bluetooth, 6-cd in-dash radio, memory seat position, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, dual zone auto climate control, homelink, and automatic anti-glare rear view mirror, you need the premium package which is $2850.

To get my TSX's features, I'd have to pay $39,750. $3k to $5k would be a bare-bones model...with no bluetooth, moonroof, etc.....

*faints* $10k more for RWD and more horsepower isn't worth it...maybe an RL would be better
I'm not equipping it to the same levels as the TSX because that would be impossible since:
1. Infiniti bundles packages with prerequisites
2. There's features on the G35 that aren't even available on the TSX

With just the premium package, I would it get to about $35000 which is just about $5,000 more than the TSX. If I wanted just the base sport, it would be about $33000, again $3000 more than the TSX. That's where I get my numbers.

Yeah, it may not have NAV, but here's what the TSX doesn't have:
Obviously RWD w/LSD and 300 hp V6
Keyless entry/start
W/premium package, which is $2350, not $2850 as you stated:
Better sound system w/MP3 playback
12 way power seats w/power telescoping steering wheel full memory
Auto up/down on all 4 windows and one touch for sunroof
18" wheels, etc.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bradykp
i think you made a very good assessment. although i don't really consider the g35 necessarily a class above the TSX. my coworker is currently on pace to buy one, and once you start adding all the features, it does climb up in price, as do all of the cars that we compare with the TSX.

your points on the seats are so true though. i thought this with the older seats, and i love the g35 sedan's seats. i heard the 2007 only got better.

it's a nice car, but you do pay for the difference. you would have paid dearly for trading in a 2006 TSX on one. enjoy your TSX for a few years, and stop torturing yourself looking at other cars. I'm comfy with my tsx probably until 2009 model cars start coming out, then i'll look for my next vehicle. hopefully i'll own the TSX outright by then, and it will become a nice 2nd vehicle.
The TSX is kind of an in betweener, not really having a class of its own.
It's obviously below the TL which is considered entry level lux/sport, and the G35 competes with the TL, which is why I say it's below the class of the G35.
I'd say it's competition is more Audi A3, Saab 9-2, etc.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Racer

But you didn't get to drive it... don't forget, the TSX gives up a *LOT* of HP and torque to the '07 G35. I love my TSX... but if price wasn't a factor, I'd be in an equally equipped G35, personally.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by derbaff
So how exactly is a German car not an import? I can understand being gung-ho about only driving American (I had a friend who was like that, until I started taking him on test drive's in Acuras, haha). But if you are willing to drive a German car, what's the problem with a Japanese car?
Exactly.... German cars are imports, too....
Old 11-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Advanced

g35 is a car that can crush our big brother TL

(my opinion)
Old 11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Race Director

I can't wait to test drive the 07 G35, I'm going to go next weekend. I don't care if it's auto, so that I can try the paddle shifters.

Yeah, in terms of performance the 07 G35 will eat up the TSX, TL, and TL-S.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umhaha84

(my opinion)
Performance-wise? Yeah, the g35 will probably beat the TL-S, but let's not forget, infiniti has completely redone the g35, the TL is just an update until the 4G TL is ready for its debut. If you look closely at the g35's interior, you'll see quite a few familiar things from the TL in the new g35. Just look at the metal trim, the bluetooth features, infiniti's version of handsfree link and voice activated controls. Yes, the infiniti does seem impressive on paper, but we'll have a more even comparison when the 4G TL arrives.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Let me help you!

Originally Posted by derbaff
Well by import, I'm using it in the same way magazines use the term (http://www.importtuner.com/features/). BMW drivers don't usually call themselves import drivers. My dad only drives american and german cars...he always laughs at japanese cars as if they're garbage.

psteng, I did it for the coupe...the sedan is fugly. I tried it for the sedan, and now I got it down to $37.4k. And I do know that they have other features as well, but I got the TSX because it came with all of the options as standard. If I'd get the G35, then I'd want as much of the TSX's features as possible. After all, we didn't get the TSX for it's power ;-P
Old 11-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Still Lovin my 06

the package you speak of has a lot more than what you mentioned. it's not close to the price of the TSX, but it does offer a lot over the TSX. the g35 is a pretty good value.

6mt starting at $32,250

sexy colors and great interiors.

premium package is $2,350, which brings the price to $34,600

this includes:
one touch sunroof
bose sound system (which is pretty nice), and the cd player can play mp3s
power lumbar (which is also a very nice feature on this car)
memory system for seats, wheel, and mirrors,
one touch windows for rear windows as well as front
power tilt and telescoping
and bluetooth.

this price compares to the $28,090

that's a difference of $6,510

i'm not saying it's a steal, but it definitely has more power in it's options, the leather is significantly nicer, and the front seats are so comfortable, and made for sport.

i love my TSX, but I would seriously consider a g35 as well. I think the price difference is mostly justified. i also think RWD plus the 3.5 litre engine with 101 extra hp, well, that definitely makes up for a lot of the price difference as well.

the features it has plus the engine plus the RWD makes this a very good value for a car.

i don't know how you got all the way to $39,750. what the heck did you add?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Still Lovin my 06

lexus is no good? you don't like infinity?

but you like Mercedes? you are cracked out my friend. too much time spent in bergen county for sure.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Still Lovin my 06

My dad only drives american and german vehicles. He won't even ride in an import. The funny thing is that his cars are always falling apart. We even tried selling a car to the junkyard, and we ended up having to pay them to take it away (it was a low demand vehicle that would probably have just taken up space)

Once my parents separated, my mom and I only went with imports. My mom abuses her car...she'll go a couple of years without oil changes, etc. The cars are running fine. My brother agrees with my dad and bought a ford...after a few months, he started having problems..as of right now, he has no odometer, among other things. I'm sticking with imports until I'm rich enough to replace a german car whenever one starts falling apart

imports come from other countries. i'm pretty sure we never took over germany, but i could be wrong.

i've had experience with many american cars, mostly GM but some fords, and some chryslers, and we've never had a problem getting 200,000+ miles out of any of them.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
But you didn't get to drive it... don't forget, the TSX gives up a *LOT* of HP and torque to the '07 G35. I love my TSX... but if price wasn't a factor, I'd be in an equally equipped G35, personally.
i'm assuming you mean just the pure dollar amount. it appears to me that for what you get for $6,510 more than the base 2007 TSX (that's how i came to a similarly equipped g35), the value is there if you can afford the extra $100/mo in your payment, it seems like a good choice. could very well be my next car!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:23 AM
Racer

mercedes are nice cars but i kinda question their reliability. my aunt had one and it had so many electrical problems that she gave up and traded it in. it could've been just that car she had that was "bad." i would get a bmw over a mercedes, but that's just my opinion.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Instructor

something that everyone keeps forgetting here is in a few months or so, you're not paying MSRP for the G35 anymore, and most people know that infiniti offer deaper discounts than acura does so i would expect pricing to be about $500-$1000 below invoice for the year end sale by late summer of next year
Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked at the G35 before I got my TSX. Because Infinity has to push them more, there was more incentives. The monthly payment was only $60 more. The Infinity just did not feel like it was worth $34,000. The car rattled andsqeaked over some bumps on the test drive and the interior had too much cheap plastics. You felt as if you sat on the seats, not in them and the dash light colors where not appealing. When we went to the Acura dealer, I sat in the TL to compare, and what a big difference in quality. We were only looking for a good second car, so the TSX fit the slot better than the TL. It is much more than about horsepower. Well, that is what I told myself the other day when I barely beat out an early 90's accord with some mods on it.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by JTC05
I looked at the G35 before I got my TSX. Because Infinity has to push them more, there was more incentives. The monthly payment was only $60 more. The Infinity just did not feel like it was worth $34,000. The car rattled andsqeaked over some bumps on the test drive and the interior had too much cheap plastics. You felt as if you sat on the seats, not in them and the dash light colors where not appealing. When we went to the Acura dealer, I sat in the TL to compare, and what a big difference in quality. We were only looking for a good second car, so the TSX fit the slot better than the TL. It is much more than about horsepower. Well, that is what I told myself the other day when I barely beat out an early 90's accord with some mods on it.
The 2007 G35 is an all-new 2nd generation model and they've fixed the interior and better dash light colors.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Too bad CR reports about every Mercedes is on the worst reliabillity list.

CR Most Relaible
Most Reliable Small Car
Most reliable (Best score first)
Honda Fit (pictured)*
Toyota Yaris*
Honda Civic Hybrid*
Toyota Corolla

Least reliable (Worst score first)
Chevrolet Cobalt
2006 Nissan Sentra
Volkswagen Jetta (5 cyl.)
Chevrolet Aveo

Most Reliable Family Car
Honda Accord Hybrid (pictured)
Toyota Prius
Honda Accord (4-cyl.)
Ford Fusion*
Mercury Milan*

Least reliable
Volkswagen Passat (4 cyl.)*

Most Reliable Upscale/Large Car
Lexus ES350 (pictured)
Lincoln Zephyr*
Hyundai Azera*
Acura TSX
Acura TL

Jaguar X-type
Chrysler 300 (V8)
Saab 9-3

Most Reliable Luxury Car
2006 Lexus LS (2007 model pictured)
Infiniti M*

Cadillac STS (V8)
2006 Mercees-Benz S-class
Mercedes-Benz CLS*
Mercedes-Benz E-class sedan
BMW 7-series
Jaguar S-type

Most Reliable Sport/Sporty car
Lexus SC
Toyota Camry Solara (4-cyl.)
Subaru Impreza WRX
Honda S2000
Mitsubishi Eclipse*
2006 Mini Cooper hatchback

Pontiac Solstice*
Mercedes-Benz SL
Mercedes-Benz CLK
Mercedes-Benz SLK (V6)
Chevrolet Corvette
Porshce 911 Carrera
Ford Mustang (V6)

Most Reliable Wagon/Minivan
Pontiac Vibe (pictured)
Scion xB
Toyota Matrix
Toyota Sienna

Buick Terraza
Chevrolet Uplander
Saturn Relay
Nissan Quest

Most Reliable Small SUV
Toyota FJ Cruiser* (pictured)
Honda Element
2006 Honda CR-V
Toyota Rav4*
2006 Mitsubishi Outlander*
Subaru Forester

Least reliable
Kia Sportage

Midsized SUVs
Toyota Highlander Hybrid* (pictured)
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota Highlander
Honda Pilot
Lexus RX400h* (hybrid)
2006 Acura MDX

Mercedes-Benz M-class*
Land Rover LR3 (V8)
Cadillac SRX (V8)
Mercedes-Benz R-class*
Volkswagen Touareg
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hummer H3*
2006 BMW X5 (V8)
Volvo XC90 (I6 and V8)
Ford Explorer (V8)

Large SUVs
Toyota Land Cruiser
Lexus LX
Toyota Sequoia
Chevrolet Tahoe*
GMC Yukon*

Nissan Armada
Infiniti QX56
Lincoln Navigator
Hummer H2
Mercury Mountaineer (V8)

Pickups
Subaru Baja
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Tacoma
Nissan Frontier (V6)

Nissan Titan
Ford F-250 (diesel)
Dodge Dakota (4WD)
2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bradykp
you are cracked out my friend. too much time spent in bergen county for sure.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Racer

The original post had some interesting comments that I tend to agree on, even though the TSX and G35 are different classes of cars. One of the biggest disappoints of the TSX has been the suspension. While the stock suspension, and noisy tires, do a great job of road holding, resisting body lean, dive and squat, the dampers are awful at compression and rebound. I never thought Acura could get away with it, considering all the magazines that rave of the TSX, the damper selection was defintely a cost saving decision on the part of Acura. I'll be asking my Dad to bring me back a set of Bisteins from Europe if I don't go there to see him first.

Second, I thought that Indinti does a crappy job on interiors, even after the G35 was refreshed midway through its first generation it still looked horrible. The TSX, and all Honda/Acura really excel on interiors.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Zoopa
The original post had some interesting comments that I tend to agree on, even though the TSX and G35 are different classes of cars. One of the biggest disappoints of the TSX has been the suspension. While the stock suspension, and noisy tires, do a great job of road holding, resisting body lean, dive and squat, the dampers are awful at compression and rebound. I never thought Acura could get away with it, considering all the magazines that rave of the TSX, the damper selection was defintely a cost saving decision on the part of Acura. I'll be asking my Dad to bring me back a set of Bisteins from Europe if I don't go there to see him first.

Second, I thought that Indinti does a crappy job on interiors, even after the G35 was refreshed midway through its first generation it still looked horrible. The TSX, and all Honda/Acura really excel on interiors.
i think the new g35 is a signifcant improvement on the interior, and although i'd say the TSX is arguably the better interior, the g35's seats and leather are far superior to ours. it's a good car.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by umhaha84

(my opinion)
I think of the TL more as a fat cousin than a big brother. Just from driving experience.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:10 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

or how about a big, fat brother?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:57 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Zoopa
... the dampers are awful at compression and rebound. ... the damper selection was defintely a cost saving decision on the part of Acura.

This is my only complaint with the TSX.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Intermediate

Never underestimate tha Yota. I always look to Toyota first. This is my first honda product and even then I still am biased and won't put tha H on it if you paid me. But if I had to pick the next reliable car it would be Honda.

I would like to try a Euro but constant ups and down on their problems year to year you never know what your going to buy or maintanance is going to cost you.

Second note: I leased a 2004 G35. Thank God they redid the interior. It was SOOOOOO uncomfortable and I hated it. I leased it as I new I wouldn't keep it. I was in this phase where I wanted to drive all the new power imports but not keep them. So I hopped from Sti to G35 and then didn't want to waste my time trying to get into an Evo and all the lease crap over again to keep going on with some of the others. But the 350Z did in comfort what the G35 could not for interior. I'd almost reconsider a second try since they say the M could be the next big thing to rival over the BMW but I'm not going into those waters, neither one is my style but I am really diggin the newer Lexus's. Hell the GS of a few years ago is still top notch in looks.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

I drove the G35 manual and then went and drove the TSX right afterwards (as I am considering both cars).

I'll be very honest here, I could see myself in either car.

The G35 is more than acceptable on interior quality, and the power is truly wonderful. No doubt this car is much faster and much sportier than the TSX. The ride is stiffer, and there is more tire roar (I suspect because of the huge tires). Overall, without considering price, I'd take the G35 any day. The car is not perfect, however. I found the sport seats (the ones with the adjustable bottom and side bolsters) were awfully tight, even with the bolsters all the way out. Not a deal breaker, but I would have gone wider if I could. #2 is the shoulder room is awfully tight. I have very broad shoulders, but this was the first sedan where I felt a bit cramped up there, and it is particularly bad on the passenger side. #3 is the toe room in the back seat. Not much there.

The TSX more than held its own. I love power, but I"m not a speed deamon. I drive a Mazda Miata currently and the TSX reminded me of the Miata more than the G35 did. The G is a real brute, the TSX is zippy and light. Power is more than acceptable on the TSX. The Acura has the better shifter. I thought the seats were more comfortable and I felt like I had more room all around than the G. Visibility was better.

I guess what it comes down to is the $ for the G35. Yeah the power. Yeah the rear drive (which I have grown to love with my Miata). The stereo is a bit better. But currently you can have (at least in CA) a Nav equipped TSX for ~$27,000 before taxes. A G35 manual with premium package (which is really a requirement on that car) and navigation has MSRP of ~$37,XXX. Infiniti isn't likely to be offering much of a price break on a brand new car, particularly the still-rare 6 speed manual. I guess I kept asking myself if I felt the G35 is a $10,000 better car than the TSX. Even skipping the nav and you're still talking $7000 or $8000 difference. The power is wonderful. The styling is "fast". The car is definitely sportier. But I'd probably not get nav. I feel more cramped in the car. I just didn't feel that it was $7000 to $10,000 better than the TSX. That's the bottom line.

Like I said, I'd take the G any day, price not considered. However, I'd take a BMW over the G any day, price not considered. Both are most certainly superior cars. But in my world, price matters, and the TSX is just an unbelievable value all around. That is worth an awful lot.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerome81
I drove the G35 manual and then went and drove the TSX right afterwards (as I am considering both cars).

I'll be very honest here, I could see myself in either car.

The G35 is more than acceptable on interior quality, and the power is truly wonderful. No doubt this car is much faster and much sportier than the TSX. The ride is stiffer, and there is more tire roar (I suspect because of the huge tires). Overall, without considering price, I'd take the G35 any day. The car is not perfect, however. I found the sport seats (the ones with the adjustable bottom and side bolsters) were awfully tight, even with the bolsters all the way out. Not a deal breaker, but I would have gone wider if I could. #2 is the shoulder room is awfully tight. I have very broad shoulders, but this was the first sedan where I felt a bit cramped up there, and it is particularly bad on the passenger side. #3 is the toe room in the back seat. Not much there.

The TSX more than held its own. I love power, but I"m not a speed deamon. I drive a Mazda Miata currently and the TSX reminded me of the Miata more than the G35 did. The G is a real brute, the TSX is zippy and light. Power is more than acceptable on the TSX. The Acura has the better shifter. I thought the seats were more comfortable and I felt like I had more room all around than the G. Visibility was better.

I guess what it comes down to is the $ for the G35. Yeah the power. Yeah the rear drive (which I have grown to love with my Miata). The stereo is a bit better. But currently you can have (at least in CA) a Nav equipped TSX for ~$27,000 before taxes. A G35 manual with premium package (which is really a requirement on that car) and navigation has MSRP of ~$37,XXX. Infiniti isn't likely to be offering much of a price break on a brand new car, particularly the still-rare 6 speed manual. I guess I kept asking myself if I felt the G35 is a $10,000 better car than the TSX. Even skipping the nav and you're still talking $7000 or $8000 difference. The power is wonderful. The styling is "fast". The car is definitely sportier. But I'd probably not get nav. I feel more cramped in the car. I just didn't feel that it was $7000 to $10,000 better than the TSX. That's the bottom line.

Like I said, I'd take the G any day, price not considered. However, I'd take a BMW over the G any day, price not considered. Both are most certainly superior cars. But in my world, price matters, and the TSX is just an unbelievable value all around. That is worth an awful lot.
Nice post

Have you looked at a TL or TL-S?

And was the G35 MT an 07? Ive heard the 07 MT's won't be arriving until January.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Instructor

G35 vs. TSX

G35 is a bigger car, more horsepwr, suck more gas than tsx. to get G35 SPORT 07 model, they have to wait the 06 to be all gone before they drop in price. if u get one now, is full msrp plus tax and lic. if you trade in cars, the first 3 yrs hit the most in depreciation. after three years, it start cool down a little in depreciation. you get what you want but remember how much you SPENT on the car u have now, and any negative , owe more than what its worth, for example, you owe 25k and you paid one year already .. add up your one year pymts plus your down pymt upfront at time of pick up the tsx home, and any negative money if exist. the negative money is the difference between your payoff vs. the dealer will buy your car for xx money. if u owe 25k, and dealer pay 20k, you pay the 5k out of your pocket. no money? no problem, they will try to add it to the new car you are getting. so if new one agreed at msrp OUT THE DOOR for the new car, add the upside down.. wow..
pay upside down ? for nothing, it is empty shell,.. not worth it.
Infiniti have longer warranty because they need this to make consumers to buy their cars. my next one is Infiniti G35 SPORT with all pkgs shown on the brochure.
and in 2005 April, dealers still have 2004s like two dozens.. so this tells you what's up.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:00 AM
Intermediate

I’ll add my two cents on this… Last night I test drove the 2007 G35 Journey with Premium package. I loved the car. I wouldn’t call it a step above the TSX, but rather an “enhanced” TSX. The car has everything I love about the TSX, minus some of the minor dislikes that I have on the TSX.

The car is just slightly bigger than the TSX, but it doesn’t feel boat like (TL). The interior has some design clues which remind me of the TSX a lot. You do get a couple of nice extra features, such as the push button start, key/remote less entry, Bose stereo, etc… but “feature” wise both the TSX and the G35 are pretty even.

The biggest thing for me is the way the car feels on the road. Very powerful engine and nice deep throttle sound when accelerating, yet a very quiet cabin on the highway. The Journey suspension I though offered a very good compromise between luxury and sport. I have heard that the suspension tuning on the Sport model is too tight (something I wouldn’t like. I guess that this would also increase the road noise inside the cabin).

In one of the postings above the TSX is described as “zippy and light”, which is exactly what I do not like about the TSX. If I close my eyes and just feel the way the TSX drives and the sounds, I feel like I’m driving a supped up Civic, 4 cyl Accord or even a Toyota Corolla. The G35 definitely feels more BMW or RL like.

As stated in the previous posts, I do agree that the price right now on the G35 is too high. Going at full MSRP, with no special financing offers, and very low residuals (assuming you want to lease), you can actually drive a new BMW 530i for about the same monthly payment than what you would pay for the 2007 G35:

G35: $2K down +TTL and $550 per month for 39 months lease
BMW 530i November Promo: ~$3K down and $469 per month for 36 months lease

I’ll take the BMW any day. Maybe I’ll revisit the G35 one year from now when the prices come down to earth…
Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
Nice post

And was the G35 MT an 07? Ive heard the 07 MT's won't be arriving until January.
No, only in certain parts of the country, or certain dealerships.
According to G35 forums, a couple have the 6MT already.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eegrad
I’ll add my two cents on this… Last night I test drove the 2007 G35 Journey with Premium package. I loved the car. I wouldn’t call it a step above the TSX, but rather an “enhanced” TSX. The car has everything I love about the TSX, minus some of the minor dislikes that I have on the TSX.

The car is just slightly bigger than the TSX, but it doesn’t feel boat like (TL). The interior has some design clues which remind me of the TSX a lot. You do get a couple of nice extra features, such as the push button start, key/remote less entry, Bose stereo, etc… but “feature” wise both the TSX and the G35 are pretty even.

The biggest thing for me is the way the car feels on the road. Very powerful engine and nice deep throttle sound when accelerating, yet a very quiet cabin on the highway. The Journey suspension I though offered a very good compromise between luxury and sport. I have heard that the suspension tuning on the Sport model is too tight (something I wouldn’t like. I guess that this would also increase the road noise inside the cabin).

In one of the postings above the TSX is described as “zippy and light”, which is exactly what I do not like about the TSX. If I close my eyes and just feel the way the TSX drives and the sounds, I feel like I’m driving a supped up Civic, 4 cyl Accord or even a Toyota Corolla. The G35 definitely feels more BMW or RL like.

As stated in the previous posts, I do agree that the price right now on the G35 is too high. Going at full MSRP, with no special financing offers, and very low residuals (assuming you want to lease), you can actually drive a new BMW 530i for about the same monthly payment than what you would pay for the 2007 G35:

G35: $2K down +TTL and $550 per month for 39 months lease
BMW 530i November Promo: ~$3K down and $469 per month for 36 months lease

I’ll take the BMW any day. Maybe I’ll revisit the G35 one year from now when the prices come down to earth…
For those that consider the G35 a lateral step to the TSX instead of a step up, what do you consider the TL?

As for pricing, I would never pay MSRP for any car, but you have to compare MSRP to MSRP and right now the G35 is the best value for the dollar when compared to the IS350, 335 and TL.
When compared to the IS250 and 328, pricing is about the same but you get so much more with the G35.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by dom
I agree. If you're considering these two cars, the TL is somewhat of a "tweener" for these two.

Besides, I was on carsdirect recently and saw the price for the remaining '06 TL's in my area:
$29k

That's almost the price of a TSX! I knew that if I were in the market today, that would be awfully tempting.

However, I'd take my modded TSX anyday over the 07 G35, TL, or even TL-S.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Too Many Cars

This is my only complaint with the TSX.
What's the best alternative? TEINs, H&R, Bistein?

Quick Reply: 2007 G35 vs. TSX