2006 TSX Test Drive: Impressions--Yours and Mine

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yeefuchew
I mean if it's really more power, sleekness, etc., why not step up to an IS250 for the price?
Because it's a bulbous, underpowered dog without sporting intentions and equiped with a rubbery gearbox?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waTSX
Because it's a bulbous, underpowered dog without sporting intentions and equiped with a rubbery gearbox?
That's not fair. I think the IS250 is a better can than the TSX, but not to the tune of $7000 better.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

To the inital writter: My buddy has a Corolla. He asked me if a TL or TSX is a overall softer ride. I told him...NO. Both are more firm, although more controlled. You probably would like the Accord as the steering is almost equal and it has a softer ride than your Corolla. I don't like the Mazda 6, I figure that's another one of your options, it drives like my 94 Accord - I refuse to pay $20K more for a car that drives the same as my old Accord. The Lexus IS 250 is too slow for the money, imagine the AWD version. But the IS 250 has better low end grunt then my 5AT TSX. The only thing I'd change related to my TSX is that I would have a touchless car wash at my home so I could wash it twice a day!

You should also consider another Corolla - amazing efficiency and decent performance - ugly though.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
I have to take issue with all the complaints about the styling. My theory is that it has to do with the popularity of silver and CG for this car. No offense to owners of those colors, but I think EVERY silver car looks dull. Sorry, just do. So when you have clean, understated styling swabbed in bland silver paint, it just looks boring.

My car, however,

with its hot red paint, looks pretty f'in sweet, and I get compliments on it all the time. I love a car with clean, uncluttered lines, and I love the fact that the doors/sides have no molding or ribbing to clutter them up. Just clean sheetmetal with some tasteful chrome. I also think the view I posted above is particularly sweet. I like the sweep of the C-pillar, and the short, high trunk. I even like the not-too-big-but-still-noticeable dual exhaust, and the slight lip or overhang on the trunk edge. Hell, I even like the wheels. For the record, I love the black/parchment on maybe a tiny bit more than my red, but can't handle the maintenance on black paint.

At any rate, I think a lot of people criticize the TSX for what it isn't, without realizing what it is. Some people want more power, some people want it bigger, some people want it to handle better, some people want a better stereo, some people want a huge wing and sill extensions (ICK! death to bodykits), etc etc. You can find cars with all of those attributes, but no car under $30k has the COMBINATION of ABILITIES and FEATURES that the TSX has. Not only that, but they are still fairly rare, at least for this price range. In the Northeast, every 3rd car is an A4/3-series/G35, but I don't see nearly as many TSXs, and I see another red one about once every 3 months. And did I mention that I think my parchment/navi has pretty much the best looking interior under, say, $50k? That was probably my biggest selling point. Though I am a Honda/Acura lover (have had 6 in the family and Dad is picking up a new Accord coupe in the next week or two), I looked at EVERYTHING under $30k, and considered a few used cars (3-series, G35). There were cars that beat the TSX in an area or two (performance, price, etc), but NOTHING hit the sweet spot of being good at everything like the TSX did. Would I like the added power of the 330i or IS350? Of course, but I can't afford either one, and neither looks as good to me. So I bought the TSX, and I love it. Though I lust after other cars sometimes, I still can't think of a car that more closely matches my needs that I could afford.

And btw, I want to know exactly how simpler the mirror controls could be? Please point to a car that has more intuitive controls. I had a hard time comprehending the rest of your post, because I kept coming back to that point and thinking, how the hell could they be less confusing???
Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
And btw, I want to know exactly how simpler the mirror controls could be? Please point to a car that has more intuitive controls. I had a hard time comprehending the rest of your post, because I kept coming back to that point and thinking, how the hell could they be less confusing???
Ah, someone who actually asks amiably and doesn't imply I'm an idiot simply because I didn't immediately "get" that quirky mirror stick.

First, I will say, since you're just about a life honda/acura guy, I can imagine you thinking that way about the mirrors. It must be second nature to you by now from those years of conditioning.

But from my experience with Toyota and various American cars before, when the sales guy in the TSX said, "it's that nob right there on the left" I grabbed it and twisted it around and said, "Huh?" You see those who think I must be borderline comatose for not figuring it out right away are probably ones who've had Hondas/Acuras like you. For me something that's *really* intuitive is one button that says "L" (for "Left mirror") with directional ridges (like the ones on a video game control pad) and then another button that says "R." I forgot which car I've driven that has that. But that's what I meant. I had to ask the sales guy, who said, you need to push it up (in the slot), then start moving it around. I mean, I get it now, and it's no problem, but like I said, coming from someone "off the street," it wasn't intuitive. I'm sure it will be second nature to me, too, after a couple of times.

Perhaps some people mistake "intuitive" to mean "cool," "functional" and "practical." The TSX mirror stick are all those last three things. However, that's not what intuitive generally means (and my use of the word should've been clear from the context). It means something that you can figure out or understand without initial explanation because it entails an inherent, common logic. So I hope that clears up what I meant...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll throw out another counterintuitive design out there for you who are new to the board. Its been discussed before. The AT SS feature is cool but it took me a little while to get used to pushing forward for upshift and pulliing backward for downshift. Somehow, I felt that intuitively it should be the other way around.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 AM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
I'll throw out another counterintuitive design out there for you who are new to the board. Its been discussed before. The AT SS feature is cool but it took me a little while to get used to pushing forward for upshift and pulliing backward for downshift. Somehow, I felt that intuitively it should be the other way around.
It's weird, intellectually, I disagree with you. For some reason, pushing "up" and pulling "down" makes sense to me. However, when I actually drive the car, I get it backwards all the time. So my right arm agrees with you. But it doesn't matter, I use that feature MAYBE once every two months (though more lately, due to the snow, for starting out in second gear or using engine braking).
Old 12-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Hmm, what an odd series of complaints about the TSX. After 2.5 years of ownership I've identified areas I would improve, but none of them are in the original poster's list. To each his own
Old 12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Instructor

it's his opinion for goodness sake.

go drive the A4(Fronttrack), 325i & Lexus 250. Then come back and drive the TSX.

My first TSX test drive felt like a disapointment too for some reason(prob. all the hype), but the car grew on me while I was looking at the A4 and 325 and their infernal option sheets.

325i(previous gen) had civic-grade interior materials/NVH and carpeting. A4 felt topheavy and ponderous on the road. Lexus felt small like a 40k corrola inside.

The TL does have better interior materials for the sides and pockets/metal trim, RL is a step above that but neither has the sweet layout of the TSX guages interior/reasonable size/handling tightness.

Drive by wire is a controversial issue. People complained about logical lag on early versions. The system does really seem to map to your driving preferences over time. Flame if you like but I really like it. If you floor it the car will get the idea and does respond faster than a traditional throttle IMO. also Something cool about vibrations not coming back up through the throttle cable. which I could feel on most cars without such. I also flog the manumatic a lot and feel more comfortable/safe doing it because the digital nanny usually picks up and when I'm doing something stupid that would redline the engine or make the shift too abrupt and makes a slight correction a fraction of a second before.

Pros:
- 30k with all your options.
- free-reving smooth 4 cylinder
- great FWD handling/manumatic IMO
- you now know how to use the mirrors.

But if you need a bigger car, go buy one.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Coming from a corolla and with those complaints???? Sheesh........

My sis has a 2001 Celica, now that car has some cheap hard plastic and it's bumpy and noisy! I'm sure the corolla falls along those lines.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crfortin
go drive the A4(Fronttrack), 325i & Lexus 250. Then come back and drive the TSX.

My first TSX test drive felt like a disapointment too for some reason(prob. all the hype), but the car grew on me while I was looking at the A4 and 325 and their infernal option sheets.

325i(previous gen) had civic-grade interior materials/NVH and carpeting. A4 felt topheavy and ponderous on the road. Lexus felt small like a 40k corrola inside.

The TL does have better interior materials for the sides and pockets/metal trim, RL is a step above that but neither has the sweet layout of the TSX guages interior/reasonable size/handling tightness.

Drive by wire is a controversial issue. People complained about logical lag on early versions. The system does really seem to map to your driving preferences over time. Flame if you like but I really like it. If you floor it the car will get the idea and does respond faster than a traditional throttle IMO. also Something cool about vibrations not coming back up through the throttle cable. which I could feel on most cars without such. I also flog the manumatic a lot and feel more comfortable/safe doing it because the digital nanny usually picks up and when I'm doing something stupid that would redline the engine or make the shift too abrupt and makes a slight correction a fraction of a second before.

Pros:
- 30k with all your options.
- free-reving smooth 4 cylinder
- great FWD handling/manumatic IMO
- you now know how to use the mirrors.
Great post! Thanks for filling us in.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 AM
6MT or Death

Ok so this is going to be an incomplete post because I just got the car last night and have only driven it a limited amount (about 30 miles), but WHOA!

I was nervous since all the hype made me think this car was way better than it could ever be, and I was wrong. I was nervous about the low torque giving me a ride that wouldn't be much fun, and I was wrong. I was nervous about the rims, and I was wrong. The only thing that makes me nervous now is driving the car because I don't want anything to happen to it. It's got some serious power in that 4 banger, and it makes the car feel like it weighs about 5 pounds. Nimble.

The ebony interior is nothing short of breathtaking, and even a little thing like a felt lined glovebox just shows how Japanese luxury is looking at the little things. Bluetooth is outstanding and the MID is killer.

I have NO complaints about this car except for the fact I can't sit in it all the time. My work won't let me drive it to my desk and just work from inside. If I could, I would. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my opinion is this car is scrumtrulescent (SNL: inside the actor's studio?). I'm glad I waited for an MT. For the first time in my life, I love my car.

Sorry for being longwinded.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yesterday, I finally got a chance to test drive the 2006 TSX at Keyes Acura in Van Nuys, CA. I tested a CGP, 5AT, non-navi. Stepping into the driver's seat was an experience. With the big collection of dials and buttons so close to me, I felt I was climbing into an F-18 fighter jet. Only problem was, I also felt cramped, like I was actually in a fighter jet. And I'm not a big person.

The seat felt relatively soft and comfortable. Working the mirrors was a little confusing as the knobbing was not intuitive. But with coaching from the sales guy, I quickly got it.

I will say this car feels solid from the get go. The steering was very responsive. Once on the road, I felt immediately at one with the car. Unfortunately, I also felt at one with some of the bumps on the road. Though the handling and cornering are tops, the ride falls short in the smoothness department. Overall, the brakes were not as sensitive as I would've liked, but, though they were a little soft, they bit down well when depressed far enough.

I must say, the accelerator lag (what's the technical term for this?) was definitely noticeable. The sales guy said and did something with the techtronic transmission shift mode to make it more responsive. However, being a life automatic guy, doing something like that scares me. Maybe the MT version does better. But for us automat folks, this one falls a little short here.

Once on the freeway, I felt pretty much power, despite the fact that I knew full well I was riding a four-cylinder. Thanks to the short stretch of non-rush houred road, I never got a chance to take advantage of the full 205 horses, but I could sense they were there. I have to say it was a bit noisy at higher speeds. Don't even think about highwaying and talking with the moonroof open.

And maybe I expected a little more for a near 30K car, but there was just so much plastic in the interior. Maybe it's not so much the amount of plastic, but the quality--looked like they raided a few 99 cent stores.

In sum, this isn't an automotive revelation and doesn't blow me away in perfomance or styling. But it'll do for it's class, and, if it lives up to its Acura badge, the engine should perform well for a while. Eventually, I think I'll walk out of the showroom with one.

If you've had any of your own experiences, please feel free to chime in.

sheesh, calm down guys, it's not like he was bashing on the TSX, he's just giving his honest feedback. Plus I think he was actually praising the car aside from a couple of things he doesn't like. (although I don't understand why he said it was small, maybe the exterior makes it look like a bigger car than it really is? or he expect it to be a lot bigger than the Corolla he has? not sure.. I'm not that tall myself)

in fact, being a TSX owner for more than 2 yrs, I agree with most of his comments.. re: the cheap plastic, I think he was speaking of the lower half of the dash (those plastic covers near the shifter, on the door handles, etc). If you have ever taken those pieces out or taken off the door panel, you'll know exactly why they're cheap, and they're easiy scratched too. HOWEVER, overall the interior is very good for its class (aside from the occasional rattles). It would be good if they used real aluminum and wood instead of the fake stuff, of course.

The other thing he pointed out which I agree with is, in stock form, the TSX handles well (aside from the amount of bodyroll), but the ride surely isn't the best. There are a lot of cars out there (in the ~$30k range, but of course more expensive than TSX) with a more comfortable ride which doesn't feel too soft and handles better than the TSX (hint: the RWD competitors). The TSX (maybe due to its stock tires and/or suspension) doesn't absorb bumps that well, esp if you live in a city where potholes are everywhere, e.g. NY. I drove the IS300, IS350, E90 330i, G35c, and aside from the G35c, all of these cars have a more comfortable ride than the TSX. Sure, the IS is small, the 3 series is a lot more expensive, but we're just talking about the ride quality.

Sure the TSX doesn't have the best interior material and ride quality, does that detract from the driving experience? maybe a little bit, but does that make me like the car any less? certainly not. these are just tradeoffs you give for the $$ you put in.... just enjoy this nice car guys!
Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
I'm glad I waited for an MT. For the first time in my life, I love my car.
Can there be any greater tribute to a car?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by waTSX
Can there be any greater tribute to a car?

Maybe it's his first car
Old 12-14-2005, 09:39 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by supraken
Maybe it's his first car
and maybe you're a jaded douche?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sheesh, calm down guys, it's not like he was bashing on the TSX, he's just giving his honest feedback.
He can bash all he wants but his feedback is ridiculous. It's like how James Healey of USA Today thought the TSX nav system was one of the worst systems out there. What?!?!?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
No-navi, yo

Ok so this is going to be an incomplete post because I just got the car last night and have only driven it a limited amount (about 30 miles), but WHOA!

I was nervous since all the hype made me think this car was way better than it could ever be, and I was wrong. I was nervous about the low torque giving me a ride that wouldn't be much fun, and I was wrong. I was nervous about the rims, and I was wrong. The only thing that makes me nervous now is driving the car because I don't want anything to happen to it. It's got some serious power in that 4 banger, and it makes the car feel like it weighs about 5 pounds. Nimble.

The ebony interior is nothing short of breathtaking, and even a little thing like a felt lined glovebox just shows how Japanese luxury is looking at the little things. Bluetooth is outstanding and the MID is killer.

I have NO complaints about this car except for the fact I can't sit in it all the time. My work won't let me drive it to my desk and just work from inside. If I could, I would. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my opinion is this car is scrumtrulescent (SNL: inside the actor's studio?). I'm glad I waited for an MT. For the first time in my life, I love my car.

Congrat on the car.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:54 AM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by BusyShifter
Congrat on the car.
Thanks alot.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 AM
HOWARD911S

Dude, Tsx Is A Heavenly Drive And Much Better Interior Than A Black And White. No Complaint Here
Old 12-14-2005, 10:02 AM
HOWARD911S

BY THE WAY, IF YOU WANNA COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PLASTIC USAGE OF TSX, TRY THE BACKSEAT OF BLK/WHT YOU LL SEE THE MEANING OF PLASTICKY INTERIOR
Old 12-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

and maybe you're a jaded douche?

Just being sarcastic man.... enjoy the new ride dude

What color/trans did you get? post some pics!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:25 AM
6MT or Death

I know, I just had to get you back! NBP/Ebony 6MT Non-navi w 35% tint. I took some pictures last night, but I don't have internet at my new apartment yet so I'm going to bring my camera into work and hopefully figure out how to post pics.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Howard911s
BY THE WAY, IF YOU WANNA COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PLASTIC USAGE OF TSX, TRY THE BACKSEAT OF BLK/WHT YOU LL SEE THE MEANING OF PLASTICKY INTERIOR
LOL. Sorry, never had the "pleasure" of occupying the back seat of a black and white, and I hope I never do.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:28 AM
HOWARD911S

LOL. Sorry, never had the "pleasure" of occupying the back seat of a black and white, and I hope I never do.

you really outta hear about what happen when we drive through the stop and go traffic on bumpy road with someone in the back
Old 12-14-2005, 11:49 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
you really outta hear about what happen when we drive through the stop and go traffic on bumpy road with someone in the back
I've been in the back of a B&W, it's like sitting on a seat made of steal
Old 12-14-2005, 11:59 AM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
ain't nowhere near plastic seat in a steel cage
Old 12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
TSX4EVR

Congrats and I am glad that you are so happy and that the 06 TSX exceeded your expectations.

I'm still waiting to get that feeling.

Excited
Old 12-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Yui
Pro

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
What the heck is a B&W? A cop car?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yui
What the heck is a B&W? A cop car?
Howard911s is LAPD.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Yui
Pro

Howard911s is LAPD.
Ahh, just never heard that term.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

short for black&white.

Old 12-14-2005, 08:41 PM
HOWARD911S

Originally Posted by Yui
Ahh, just never heard that term.
people refer to it as black/white, popo car, cruiser. and police helicopter are referred to as Ghetto bird
Old 12-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Instructor

I have NO complaints about this car except for the fact I can't sit in it all the time. My work won't let me drive it to my desk and just work from inside.
Hilarious! I think you just birthed a new corporate concept: Drive-in cubicles. Watch for this next industrial revolutiion...

Sure the TSX doesn't have the best interior material and ride quality, does that detract from the driving experience? maybe a little bit, but does that make me like the car any less? certainly not. these are just tradeoffs you give for the $$ you put in.... just enjoy this nice car guys!
Well said!

Whoa, we have a cop patrolling our boards?? (Easing off my accelerator, checking the rear view, and shifting my behind a little, imagining the discomfort of the black and white's unforgiving back-seat plastics.)
Old 12-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Whoa, we have a cop patrolling our boards?? (Easing off my accelerator, checking the rear view, and shifting my behind a little, imagining the discomfort of the black and white's unforgiving back-seat plastics.)
Yes. He's paying close attention to the "I raced a ...... " threads.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I didn't like the TSX when I was test driving it, or when had used it as a loaner car for a few hours while my car was serviced. It felt too underwhelming, small and unimpressive.

THEN...

I had an opportunity to drive the car (04/NBP/Camel) for a week while my car had the tranny replaced. I drove it to and from work, drove it in my daily routines and Boy, did my opinion changed. It's a light car, with very rev happy engine and a responsive tranny. Mind you that this car has already 20K+ miles on it. The interior space was smaller, of course, but not cramped, just snug enough to fit just fine. I didn't like the higher dash line, as compare to my 2G TL-S, but the awesome EL guages and lighting schemes more than made up for it. I never got to drive the car at night when I had the car for all those service and the difference with the guages is amazing at night, showing a very classy ambience. The mirror controls didn't matter since took me a minute to get used to, but I found it pretty functional and cool. Of course there were things about the interior that I didn't like. For example, no door handle on the driver side, and the noisy engine at higher rev (I was looking for it though). Overall, it's a great package for the money. It's a bit small for me, but I would buy it and for me the car is a revelation. A saleman was offering to sell my a 05 CG/NAVI/EBONY for under 27-28K (months before the 06 was announced) and if it weren't for my TL-S being the almost perfect car for me, I might have traded it in....
Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AsianRage
For example, no door handle on the driver side,
huh?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

No door handle? So how have I been getting in and out all this time? Please explain what you mean. Do you mean the one that goes up at 45°? If so, then I don't see that as a negative, since I wouldn't use that one to open/close the door anyway.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Yui
Pro

I think he means the piece that goes up at 45 degrees...