2006 TSX or 2006 Accord EX four-cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005 | 06:39 PM
No-navi, yo

For me, a *Perfect* car would be one that runs on water, has ample passenger and cargo room, and could park inbetween two SUVs. I still waiting for the manufacture to develop the *Perfect* car for me.

In general, Accord, having more space and require regular gas, is more practical than TSX. TSX is more fun on the road to drive. I believe that the majority of the TSX owners on this board, I for one, never consider the U.S. 4-cylinder Accord when shopping for the car, so comparing the two is like comparing apple and oranges. On this board, I have seen TSX was cross-shoped with BMW 325/330, Audi A4, WRX, V6 accord, Nissan Altima. Very rarely was it compared to 4-cylinder Accord.

For the price comparison, $20k vs. $25k (<-- a few have already posted for striking a deal of some hundreds dollars over invoice on 2006 TSX) , the 4cylinder Accrod appeared to be a good choice. Judging by the number of the Accord on the street (tons), one probably would not go wrong with it. Though, I never considered it myself.
Old 09-22-2005 | 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
A lot of TSX owners on here need a serious reality check. The TSX is a great car, but it is far from perfect. In the end it comes down to this:

Accord EX I4 MT = $19,980 invoice and you can probably get it for close to that.

TSX = $24,784 invoice (2005s), and don't expect to get it for that.

There's a $5,000 price difference - and that's a lot to pay for VSA. It's the only option I see him interested in that the TSX has but Accord doesn't... otherwise, the bases are covered.

And for those of you who don't think a properly driven Accord I4 manual can run stride for stride with a TSX... Your 40hp means absolutely nothing in terms of off-the-line acceleration. The fact is you're 100lbs heavier and have virtually no torque advantage. Period.

Sounds like he should buy the Accord.

If you're shopping the Accord and the TSX for off-the-line-acceleration numbers then you are
Old 09-23-2005 | 08:26 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

A lot of TSX owners on here need a serious reality check. The TSX is a great car, but it is far from perfect. In the end it comes down to this:

Accord EX I4 MT = $19,980 invoice and you can probably get it for close to that.

There's a $5,000 price difference - and that's a lot to pay for VSA. It's the only option I see him interested in that the TSX has but Accord doesn't... otherwise, the bases are covered.

And for those of you who don't think a properly driven Accord I4 manual can run stride for stride with a TSX... Your 40hp means absolutely nothing in terms of off-the-line acceleration. The fact is you're 100lbs heavier and have virtually no torque advantage. Period.

The looks alone are more than worth that extra $5k. (2-3K for an Accord V6)
Old 09-23-2005 | 09:21 AM
Racer

"03CoupeV6," Bologna and Proscuitto may have similar fat/calorie contents and share a porcine origin but they are definitely not the same thing. If you can't tell the difference, maybe you should just stick to bologna yourself.
Old 09-23-2005 | 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mitlov
As for seeing the value in the 39 horsepower advantage of the TSX (comparing 2006 SAE ratings for each car)...if I could see an advantage in quarter-mile or zero-to-sixty times, I would. But there's not, according to Edmunds (cited in a previous post). What's the point of 39 extra horsepower if it doesn't help you go faster?

I *would* prefer sportier handling. I did indeed say that 80% of my driving is sedate, but I also said that I care more about the 20% that isn't. I liked the way the TSX handled a bit more than the i4 Accord, but both were very good. However, from this thread I have learned that the Accord can have the TSX suspension installed (and those suspension pieces can be obtained relatively cheaply), which takes away the TSX's advantage in this category.

This thread was to determine if the TSX could give a real performance advantage (handling and acceleration, not luxury) over the Accord. If it did, I would be inclined to get the TSX, even though I don't need the luxury extras. But this thread has taught me that the performance advantage of the TSX is not that large over the new i4 Accord, and that its real advantage is luxury.

I really doubt just swap the suspension will make the USDM accord handle like TSX! USDM accord is a lot bigger and has longer wheelbase and I think the chassis are slightly different too. And also the K24 is a way better engine than the one in USDM accord. It is way more smoother and rev happier.

I choose TSX over accord because of the look, the size, the engine, the tranny, the handling, the ride, the refinement and most important is how it drive. I never really look into what feature it offering, I just care how it drive. If I just look at the feature or the spec, for sure I am not driving a TSX now.

Also, I dun think TSX give 90% of performance of E46 325i. I dun even think my E46 328i is ne better than my TSX, so how can a 325i will better than a TSX? Plus the 6sp manual tranny of TSX is 1000000 times better the notchy, sluggish 5sp manual from BMW.
Old 09-23-2005 | 10:33 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I think alot of you who think the TSX is basically a dressed up USDM Accord should have a look at this article.

The differences are far more than skin deep.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=113992

On the mountain twisties both cars acquit themselves pretty well, but the TSX feels lighter and more nimble with far more communication through the steering wheel and chassis. The Accord feels a little more syrupy. Both have similar peak grip, but the TSX's is easier to use, and it transitions better as well.
Both cars were similarly quick from point-to-point, but the TSX was a sheer handling joy while the Accord made up for its softer handling with superior horsepower. Perhaps more importantly, the TSX remained composed all day long, while we had to carefully manage the Accord, lest it erupt in billowing clouds of smoking brake pads (don't ask how we know). It wasn't that one car had inferior brakes to the other, it was just that the Accord was faster in a straight line and slower in the corners, so its brakes had to work a lot harder.
Old 09-23-2005 | 12:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Somewhat off topic here, but I spent over three months comparing an 05' TSX 6spd. and an 05' Accord coupe 6spd. I drove each car probably 8-10 times in various conditions and situations. The 6spd Accord has the 17's, strut bar, larger front rotors, and tweaked suspension. In handling I found each car very similiar to each other. The TSX actually had more body roll. The TSX, pushed further, felt more nimble. Understeer was not apparent and the car tracked beautifully. The Accord coupe had slightly more understeer when pushed hard, but excelled in sweeping corners and its superior horsepower easily pulled it throught the turns much easier. In both cars oversteer could be induced with a tug at the wheel and a stab at the brakes. In short, the TSX felt to be a little more sports car while the Accord coupe more of a GT tourer. In driving 7/10's both cars felt nearly the same.

The horsepower of the Accord was very nice. The 6spd Accords have a different intake than the automatics, and the sound it makes is truly addicting. I found I had to drive the TSX more aggresively to keep up with the Accord. Not a bad thing, as it was fun to go through the gears, but I definitely had to keep the engine at the upper rev range.

The interior of the TSX is superior than that of the Accord. I like the blue lighting, and the interior seemed more intimate to me than that of the Accord. The Accords is just shy of entry level luxury, but I would have to say I preferred the interior of the TSX. Materials and workmanship in both cars seemed similiar.

Exterior looks are highly subjective. The exterior of the TSX is very taut and functional looking. I thinks its one of best looking four door cars on the market today. The Accord coupe 6spd., with its 17's, is also very attractive. I think the rear of the car is its strongest feature. And of course a coupe, when presented corrected, is a timeless design.

Which one did I go with? Well after three months and 3 very pissed off salesmen I chose the Accord coupe 6spd. Both it and the TSX were very similiar in price. In the end I loved the power of the Accord and the looks of the coupe. I had the splash guards painted SSM to match the body color and the the emblems removed, further improving the appearance of the car. In short, if I had to choose again I would again have to take my time. Both cars are excellent and I don't think one can go wrong with either. A bonus for me has been the rarity of the Accord 6spd. In 9 months I've seen perhaps only three more. Seeming them, and any TSX, always brings a smile to my face while driving.

Terry
Old 09-24-2005 | 11:15 AM
Advanced

And the only things which affect acceleration are weight and torque. Gear ratios, final drive ratios, torque and power curves, different tires, different suspension geometry ... bah, doesn't mean anything.
Old 09-24-2005 | 12:44 PM
Advanced

Wow, this thread sure has brought out people's happy and cuddly natures

Anyway, I'm retreating from the Accord choice after reflecting some more on my test drives. I'm going to leave it up in the air for now among my top four cars (i4 Accord, TSX, v6 Accord 6mt, V50). But thanks again for all the thoughts--they were really helpful, on both sides of the fence.
Old 09-24-2005 | 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Wow, this thread sure has brought out people's happy and cuddly natures

Anyway, I'm retreating from the Accord choice after reflecting some more on my test drives. I'm going to leave it up in the air for now among my top four cars (i4 Accord, TSX, v6 Accord 6mt, V50). But thanks again for all the thoughts--they were really helpful, on both sides of the fence.

When you do make a choice come back and let us know which way you went and what finally pushed you in that direction.
Old 04-09-2006 | 10:25 PM
2nd Gear

Wink TSX vs Accord

Anyone know?

The Honda Accord and Acura TSX are using the same engine 2.4 (i-vtec). Automatic Transmission (5 speeds) Only the TSX have an option of steptronic.

But why this two same engines are producing different horsepower? The TSX has 205bhp and the Accord 2.4 only has 166bhp?

Anyone know? What are the thing or part makes these 2 engines produce different horsepower?

ECU? Intake Manifold? Camshafts? Comprression ration? or the whole clyinder head? ... ?

Old 04-09-2006 | 10:45 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^
Old 04-10-2006 | 02:23 AM
Pro

I'm in love with the V6 in my 06 accord. I got the MT. Its still a high revving V6 that needs to be revved out for torque. But thats the fun. I got the best of both worlds.

A high torque car that revs fast like a I4. Its a gem of an engine.

Now my life would be complete if I can someone squeeze an Altima SER in the garage as well.
Old 04-10-2006 | 02:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jlukja

When you do make a choice come back and let us know which way you went and what finally pushed you in that direction.
As long as someone bumped this old thread, I figured I would answer this question. A few weeks ago, I bought myself a Subaru Legacy 2.5i special edition wagon. It's really worked out for me, and it'll be an ideal family car (my fiance and I found out that we have a baby due in July!!! ). The TSX turned out to be out of my price range (though it was an utterly awesome car to drive). Comparing the Legacy to the Accord, the Legacy was a better shape for me (a narrow wagon instead of a wide sedan), and the Legacy was more fun to drive.

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE wagon
Negotiated price: $21,100, including delivery and $330 in accessories (over $3000 under MSRP)
Naturally-aspirated 2.5 liter flat four
full-time AWD
five-speed manual
175 hp
169 ft-lbs of torque
22mpg city, 29mpg highway
17" alloy wheels
Moonroof, power driver's seat.
IIHS gold medal for crash test safety (front, side, and rear).

Downsides? The shifter is notchy compared to a Honda/Acura unit. The fuel mileage isn't as good as a FWD car (a little bit lower than the TSX and a LOT lower than the Accord). It's already picked up some rattles. And the quality of the interior plastics is a step down from the Accord and a BIG step down from the TSX. But I love how it drives, I love how it looks inside and out, the wagon body style is rare in the US market, and the price was right.

The moral? The right car for me. I love it!

Old 04-10-2006 | 03:14 AM
Pro

nice
Old 04-10-2006 | 08:13 AM
Race Director

You're an idiot, I've been observing your posts and you have nothing positive to say about the TSX ever. The US Accord is ugly and you don't see it. Don't worry, your FWD Accord V6 coupe is no match for a G35 coupe or a TL, where you will get smoked easy and start crying like a baby.
Old 04-10-2006 | 08:32 AM
Pro

Car and Driver

06 Accord V6 0 to 60 5.9 for the MT sedan.

That is a joke, someone call Honda now and demand the makers to shot for such a slow car.
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:13 AM
Pro

I admit to not having driven a modern Accord, but I'd again highlight 2 things abou the TSX: 1) it's a package deal, and I don't just mean options - it's a very balanced vehicle in terms of everything it offers; as I've said before, it is not the best at anything except being good at everything... despite loving my other Hondas over the years, it's also the only Honda (out of 5 or so) I've driven that had a "soul", probably because of the balance and everything about the car working in harmony (sometimes I wish the door rattles wouldn't try to harmonize! heh), and 2) even without "mods", slap some yokohama avid v4s (or summer tires if all seasons aren't needed) on the TSX and it BEGS to be pushed. Yes, it starts to have some body roll, which might make you let up a bit, but don't - with good tires on the TSX, you can just keep pushing and pushing it, downshift and rev that sweet i4, and it will fly through corners: S-on ramps are even more fun than C-on ramps because of the transition.
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:15 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
You're an idiot, I've been observing your posts and you have nothing positive to say about the TSX ever. The US Accord is ugly and you don't see it. Don't worry, your FWD Accord V6 coupe is no match for a G35 coupe or a TL, where you will get smoked easy and start crying like a baby.
Old 04-10-2006 | 10:32 AM
Have camera, will travel

As long as someone bumped this old thread, I figured I would answer this question. A few weeks ago, I bought myself a Subaru Legacy 2.5i special edition wagon. It's really worked out for me, and it'll be an ideal family car (my fiance and I found out that we have a baby due in July!!! ). The TSX turned out to be out of my price range (though it was an utterly awesome car to drive). Comparing the Legacy to the Accord, the Legacy was a better shape for me (a narrow wagon instead of a wide sedan), and the Legacy was more fun to drive.

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i SE wagon
Negotiated price: $21,100, including delivery and $330 in accessories (over $3000 under MSRP)
Naturally-aspirated 2.5 liter flat four
full-time AWD
five-speed manual
175 hp
169 ft-lbs of torque
22mpg city, 29mpg highway
17" alloy wheels
Moonroof, power driver's seat.
IIHS gold medal for crash test safety (front, side, and rear).

Downsides? The shifter is notchy compared to a Honda/Acura unit. The fuel mileage isn't as good as a FWD car (a little bit lower than the TSX and a LOT lower than the Accord). It's already picked up some rattles. And the quality of the interior plastics is a step down from the Accord and a BIG step down from the TSX. But I love how it drives, I love how it looks inside and out, the wagon body style is rare in the US market, and the price was right.

The moral? The right car for me. I love it!
Nice Soobie, Mitlov. The new Legacy's are among the better-looking wagons out there.
Old 04-10-2006 | 11:30 AM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
um...tat was written back in september man. i don' think he'd be reading this
Old 04-10-2006 | 12:47 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TypeRS
um...tat was written back in september man. i don' think he'd be reading this
oh dang, i guess he retreated then back to a honda forum
Old 04-10-2006 | 01:03 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^I'm sure he'll rear his ugly mug around here again next time he feels the urge to slam the TSX. Last I saw him, he was floating around the TL board, where he was doing what he does best: ripping the TSX.

Old 04-11-2006 | 08:39 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by waTSX
^^I'm sure he'll rear his ugly mug around here again next time he feels the urge to slam the TSX. Last I saw him, he was floating around the TL board, where he was doing what he does best: ripping the TSX.

Just test drove a 06 Accord I-4 Auto. It is a lot weaker than my 04 TSX Auto. Perhaps the Accord was not broken in yet? Love that new car smell though.

If handling and looks are not a high priority, Accord is a very good alternative to TSX.
Old 04-11-2006 | 09:16 PM
Instructor

If handling and looks are not a high priority, Accord is a very good alternative to TSX.[/QUOTE]

If handling and looks are not a priority, Rosie O'Donnell is a good alternative to Angelina Jolie
Old 04-11-2006 | 09:18 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Power1Pete
Just test drove a 06 Accord I-4 Auto. It is a lot weaker than my 04 TSX Auto. Perhaps the Accord was not broken in yet? Love that new car smell though.

If handling and looks are not a high priority, Accord is a very good alternative to TSX.
USDM Accords are excellent vehicles. I've owned them. The TSX is just that much better, IMO.
Old 04-11-2006 | 09:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Power1Pete
If handling and looks are not a high priority, Rosie O'Donnell is a good alternative to Angelina Jolie
Old 04-11-2006 | 09:19 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^
Old 04-12-2006 | 09:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Washington
If handling and looks are not a high priority, Rosie O'Donnell is a good alternative to Angelina Jolie
Yeah, given the looks, there's no desire to start handling. Although there are plenty of handles.
Old 04-12-2006 | 10:01 PM
Instructor

Is there a Honda forum like acurazine? I found a few honda forums, but they're not as active as here. I'd like to just get some info and tips on my Accord before I upgrade to a TSX next year

Lately i've noticed that my Accord has been "peppy", but the handling sucks, my tires squeel everytime i make turns w/o braking hehe. The TSX can fix that, and add navi, leather, sunroof, 6MT, hot looks, etc!
Old 04-13-2006 | 08:00 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by tracerit
Is there a Honda forum like acurazine? I found a few honda forums, but they're not as active as here. I'd like to just get some info and tips on my Accord before I upgrade to a TSX next year

Lately i've noticed that my Accord has been "peppy", but the handling sucks, my tires squeel everytime i make turns w/o braking hehe. The TSX can fix that, and add navi, leather, sunroof, 6MT, hot looks, etc!
Try this:

http://driveaccord.net/