Current Mileage - 103,545 miles
Average mpg - 27

The good:
*Extremely reliable, she has not broken down or left us stranded
*Super easy to perform maintenance and repairs
*AC does a really good job with keeping the car comfortable
*Relatively good mileage
*She still looks good after all these years
*I have not experienced a lot of the issues I've read here (knock on wood)

The bad:
*Had some issues with rattles and warped rotors in the first year of ownership but they are no longer an issue
*Center console lights out - what a dumb design for the 04 model. You can't simply change the bulbs.
*The paint scratches easily
* I wish it's a bit quieter while cruising on the highway, it's not overbearing, but i'd like it to be quieter
*Been through a couple of recalls (this is more of an inconvenience)

Items I have replaced (DIY), not including regular wear and tear items such as brakes, tires, filters, etc:
AC Power Transistor
Water pump
Serpentine Belt

Everything is still original (excluding the list of items I listed above and maintenance items), the headlights, tranny, engine, suspension components, Radiator, AC and Nav are still going strong.

I would like to keep this car for a few more years and from a reliability stand point, I think she will keep chugging along. The interior is still in really good shape, despite the abuse she takes from my 2 kids and stuffing my bike every weekend in the trunk with the rear seats folded down. My oldest kid will start driving in a few years and I'm hoping that the TSX will be his first car.

My one regret is not saving all my receipts or kept a detailed record of how much I've spent on gas, maintenance and repairs. It would have been really cool to find out how much money I've spent on her all these years.

Happy motoring!!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:50 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
congrats-happy to read you have had good luck with your 04 tsx. Still loving my 06 tsx. Great cars
Old 06-26-2013, 07:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice, im hoping to keep my 04 for a very long time. i just picked her up on monday with only 44k miles
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
100,000 miles... I would think she has another 10 years in her.

My first "car" was a 1980 Dodge Ram van; in 1998, so it would make a very impressive first car for your kid.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 AM
kbh
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My 04's in-service date was 8/1/2003 so I'll be passing 10 years soon as well. I am at 175,400 miles and she is still running strong. I've done the rotors as well, replaced the belt twice, the water pump and auto-tensioner, but I have never been stranded. My car has some cosmetic surgery to replace the backlight and decklid when a tree fell on it. The hood and front bumper cover were replaced when an SUV backed into it. I also replaced the entire left front suspension after sliding into a curb.

Overall I would guestimate I've spent about $16-20,000 in gas, maintenance and repairs; probably more. Overall though I am thrilled with how this car has lasted. I'm pretty confident it will by my 14 yo daughter's first car in a a few years
Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear your '04 is still going strong. All of the "issues" you mentioned are common on the '04's so no reason for alarm.

My '04 has just shy of 120,000 miles on it. I got it back in 2004 when I was a 16 year old. I'm a car guy and have been lucky enough to drive some pretty outrageous cars... but I always come back to my TSX, climb behind the wheel and think of how great of a car it is. It may sound corny but I'm not sure there is a car out there that can deliver on all of the checklists that this car does... even 10 years later. Fun, reliable, classy, and practical.

Proper maintenance on these cars will ensure they last well beyond 200K-300K miles. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
@kbh and Sclass88 - just curious, what's been your maintenance practice?

Me (all DIY)
Oil & Filter twice a year (spring and fall) using Mobil 1 oil and filter including tire rotations
Tranny D&F every 2 years
Brake and Power Steering Fluid every 3 years
Air/cabin filters every 3 years
Coolant D&F every 5 years

Is there anything that I should add or perform at a more frequent basis?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:34 AM
kbh
Instructor

You drive about 10k miles per year, so our maintenance schedules work out to be about the same if you go by mileage. I did swap the ATF filter at about 85 k miles. (gotta think about doing it again when I remember it). I do a Blackstone oil analysis about every 30 k (every sixth oil change) just for a checkup. I did replace my suspension at about 120 k miles and the ride was much improved. I also did a valve adjustment just a little while ago at 170K and changed the valve cover gasket at the same time. These might seem a bit over the top for some, but it was fun to do
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
2004 TSX NAV 5AT MSM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car info:
04 Meteor Silver with NAV 5 A/T
Bought April 28, 2003 Lindsay Acura Columbus Ohio
Current Mileage - 100,020 miles

My 2004 TSX turned 10 on April 28th. Hard to believe that it has been over 10 years. I still own the car and in fact I am taking it in today to my local Acura dealer (Lindsay Acura in Columbus, OH) to get the 110,000 mile service done and get the ECM/PCM Corrosion safety recall recall taken care of. I also need to get my passenger side mirror replaced that I broke backing out of the garage (it took a number of hits over the years but finally got busted. Fortiunately I found a replacement with the exact same color (Meteor Silver) on eBay taken from a wrecked TSX.

Overall the TSX has been a great car. I bought it on April 28, 2003 and I believe it was one of the first TSX's sold at my dealer. It got lots of looks back then (lots of complements on the color) and it was cool driving a car not too many had.

In April 2003 I was in the market for a car to replace my 1991 Honda Prelude. I was at a Honda dealer back then looking for a new car and really want to stick with Honda because of the great experience I had with my Prelude. Unfortunately, they stopped making the Prelude so the only other car I was interested in from Honda was the Accord. Sadly, the Accords I look at that year were very ugly. I drove down the street to the Acura dealer (owned by the same people) and spotted the TSX. After doing a little research I found out that it was basically the Accord outside of the US. I took a test drive and loved the handling, looks, features etc... What really sold me was the Navigation system which at the time was very advanced (my friends 2011 BMW M3's NAV system doesn't have the voice controls the TSX has.) Of course the NAV system is now outdated, but it still works very well and for the most part got me where I wanted to go over the years, plus it is always there and available. The big negative was that most of the updates cost $185. I was always able to sell my old NAV DVD on eBay for a good price and update to the newer version. The NAV was a lifesaver in cities I had never been to before like Chicago and my trip to Canada in 2005. But now of course we all have better navigation in our smartphones, but that 7" screen on the TSX is still very nice to have, and like I said, it still works.

I didn't do much to modify my car over the years. Back in 2004 I did buy new Alpine speakers to replace the ones in the door, but I never got around to installing them. I did install the bass speakers in the back window.

The car has been great to drive and except for the issues below the car has been great. The car has never broken down, the AC has kept me cool even in the hottest and humid days in Ohio, and warm in the Winter (having heated seats has been great as well!)

The issues I had with my TSX over the years I suppose were first gen/first model year issues. I have documented them in these forums over the years, but they were..

1. Water in headlights (twice)
2. Trunk wiring harness recall
3. Center console lights went out (twice)
4. Engine belt recall
5. Front brake pads (excessive wear)
6. Driver seat crept forward on braking.
7. Passenger rear door lock servo broke (not yet fixed will cost $260)
8. Side airbag disabled due to faulty switch in seatbelt. 12-28-2011
9. April 2013 recall (2004-08 TSX ECM/PCM corrosion.) 7-3-2013

The paint quality sucked and it chipped too easily (as many of us have experienced).

It was kind of a pain for me in the first few years since my dealer is across town but at least it was all fixed for free (except for the rear door lock servo but that just happened a few years ago).

The car is still running great and has never been in a wreck (thankfully) which is good as I expect I will have it for a few more years (mostly because I can't afford a new one right now).

tsxowner1 said
My one regret is not saving all my receipts or kept a detailed record of how much I've spent on gas, maintenance and repairs. It would have been really cool to find out how much money I've spent on her all these years.
While I didn't save my gas receipts, I do have all my maintenance and repair receipts in a folder. Maybe someday I will add it all up.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kbh
I also did a valve adjustment just a little while ago at 170K and changed the valve cover gasket at the same time. These might seem a bit over the top for some, but it was fun to do
How did the valve adjustment go? This is the one thing that I am hesitant on.
Technically and physically I know I can do it but I don't want to screw it up

I get a tiny amount of valve cap noise when the car first turns on but otherwise revs just fine, so it isn't something I need to do now.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
kbh
Instructor

The cover was a bit difficult to maneuver around the power steering hose, but otherwise not that difficult. It helps to have angled, rather than straight, feeler gauges. The vids on YouTube are actually quite helpful. Afterwards I think throttle tip in was more immediate and revving seemed smoother.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

my 04 haven't had any issues aside from my small fender bender, everything is original except for the dashboard, power steering hose, serpentine belt and ac relay fuse.

it has been a really reliable car, if i were sent back in time, i'd buy it again

i am currently at 103 769 miles
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased my 2004 TSX new in May 2004. ...so just over 9 years

Just regular maintenance (brakes, tires, oil changes, batteries... power steering recall) until this year.

This year:
starter replaced
back wheel bearing replaced
full paint job due to bad white patches ($1362)
transmission rebuilt ($2390)
.... and today, the AC clutch plate fell off and was quoted $1129 for compressor, dryer, flush and recharge.

I am praying that nothing else major goes wrong as I would like to keep the car for another 1.5-2 years.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl71
I purchased my 2004 TSX new in May 2004. ...so just over 9 years

Just regular maintenance (brakes, tires, oil changes, batteries... power steering recall) until this year.

This year:
starter replaced
back wheel bearing replaced
full paint job due to bad white patches ($1362)
transmission rebuilt ($2390)
.... and today, the AC clutch plate fell off and was quoted $1129 for compressor, dryer, flush and recharge.

I am praying that nothing else major goes wrong as I would like to keep the car for another 1.5-2 years.
Forgot to mention... now has 120k miles
Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my 2004 TSX since July 2003 and just saw the odo at 150500.
My pros and cons are pretty identical to tsxowner1.
I do have one question though. What did you change the serpentine belt for?
Im starting to get a bit a noise from that area... Im thinking about replacing it.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

it's just a maintenance precaution, the belt is always moving, so it stretch and dries up, eventually it will crack and pop if left alone for way too long. it usually doesnt make any noise, mine didn't make much difference(gf said it was all in my head)
Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Cruisin'

Bought mine in late march 2003. Was wife's car up until about a year ago, now my daily driver. 102k miles.

Nothing unusual, had radio backlight issue early on. Brakes, rotors, batteries and just put on new front calipers to solve mysterious front vibration (caliper piston hanging up due to central NY winters). Recently did serpentine belt to solve squeal issue and just this week replaced power steering return line due to corrosion and subsequent leak.

Overall great car, approaching best I've ever owned for reliability which as of right now is 1992 honda prelude.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ka24cl7
Had my 2004 TSX since July 2003 and just saw the odo at 150500.
My pros and cons are pretty identical to tsxowner1.
I do have one question though. What did you change the serpentine belt for?
Im starting to get a bit a noise from that area... Im thinking about replacing it.
I used Dayco. A bit cheaper than OEM. Mine did not make any noise, I just noticed some small cracks, so I decided to change it. Make sure that its not your tensioner that's making the noise.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 04 also, once of the very first ones built in "03" according to the door jamb sticker. I got mines used and have owned it for the last 5+ years or so.

The Good:

Reliable (except for one occasion) and cheap to maintain. Still drives very well with over 120k miles.

The Bad:

-Gone through 4 sets of brake pads and 2 sets of rotors the first few years I owned it. Turned out it was 2 bad front calipers.
-Both side HID blub and one ignitor went bad. Now one side headlight has moisture in it.
-Entire AC system replaced by previous owner $$$$$ but he was smart enough to buy a extended warranty.
-CD player/changer has now gone bad. Already replaced once under warranty by previous owner. Apparently the 04 TSX uses a DIFFERENT cd player/changer compare to the 05+ and extremely hard to find used and cheap.
-Bad RR Alignment due to upper control arm causing premature wear on $$$$ tires. Fixed out of pocket for less then $200.
-Starter went out while we were a good distance away from home. Luckily AAA was nearby.
-And of course the usual recalls

Other then that, it has been ok. Funny thing though how people say Acuras are more reliable but my BMW has REALLY been the definition of reliable. Besides the usual expensive maintenance stuff, it has been over a decade of problem free driving. Knock on wood but nothing has broken down on it.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Interesting hw
Originally Posted by mickey513
I have a 04 also, once of the very first ones built in "03" according to the door jamb sticker. I got mines used and have owned it for the last 5+ years or so.

The Good:

Reliable (except for one occasion) and cheap to maintain. Still drives very well with over 120k miles.

The Bad:

-Gone through 4 sets of brake pads and 2 sets of rotors the first few years I owned it. Turned out it was 2 bad front calipers.
-Both side HID blub and one ignitor went bad. Now one side headlight has moisture in it.
-Entire AC system replaced by previous owner $$$$$ but he was smart enough to buy a extended warranty.
-CD player/changer has now gone bad. Already replaced once under warranty by previous owner. Apparently the 04 TSX uses a DIFFERENT cd player/changer compare to the 05+ and extremely hard to find used and cheap.
-Bad RR Alignment due to upper control arm causing premature wear on $$$$ tires. Fixed out of pocket for less then $200.
-Starter went out while we were a good distance away from home. Luckily AAA was nearby.
-And of course the usual recalls

Other then that, it has been ok. Funny thing though how people say Acuras are more reliable but my BMW has REALLY been the definition of reliable. Besides the usual expensive maintenance stuff, it has been over a decade of problem free driving. Knock on wood but nothing has broken down on it.
Interesting how you seem to be at both extremes. Just your bad luck I suppose that you ended up with an early 04; many of those were/are quite trouble prone. My 05 (sold it with 178K miles) was bulletproof, as has been and my wife's 07 (200K miles). You've evidently been fortunate with your BMW. I've had a couple (a Z3 and a Z4), both bought fairly new and with very low miles, and I didn't add many to either. Though I didn't have any problems with them (except for a cranky ABS light in the Z3), I don't think I've talked to anyone (and as recently as last week) who hasn't told me that they tend to be like a boat: a big hole in the (in this case the road instead of the ocean) that you throw money into.

Last edited by Simba91102; 09-17-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Interesting hw

Interesting how you seem to be at both extremes. Just your bad luck I suppose that you ended up with an early 04; many of those were/are quite trouble prone. My 05 (sold it with 178K miles) was bulletproof, as has been and my wife's 07 (200K miles). You've evidently been fortunate with your BMW. I've had a couple (a Z3 and a Z4), both bought fairly new and with very low miles, and I didn't add many to either. Though I didn't have any problems with them (except for a cranky ABS light in the Z3), I don't think I've talked to anyone (and as recently as last week) who hasn't told me that they tend to be like a boat: a big hole in the (in this case the road instead of the ocean) that you throw money into.
Forgot to add:

-LR Wheel bearing went out
-Dome lights front and back went out too! Shop said there was no power going up to it. Had that fixed too .....

Anyway, best advice I can give you all is NEVER buy a first year car. This is when all the problems show up that are usually fixed the years after. I know someone with a MMC 06 TSX with over 100k miles and the only problem the person had was the center console light going out. Brakes, engine, etc., all work problem free.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM
Instructor

I'd say everything is very reliable except the silly fog light glass domes.
Mine were cracked for 2+ years, then last month my driver side finally was totally smashed.

Currently I have duct tape keeping the elements out of the lenses until I can get a replacement face.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaJay
I'd say everything is very reliable except the silly fog light glass domes.
Mine were cracked for 2+ years, then last month my driver side finally was totally smashed.

Currently I have duct tape keeping the elements out of the lenses until I can get a replacement face.
Probably the most common failing of the updated 1st gen cars. I can't imagine there's anyone that has (or has had) one that isn't either driving with them damaged (my wife's 07 for instance), or has replaced them X amount of times. She's drives all highway, and like others that do, they'll get hit in no time by road debris and they (the lenses) seem to be pretty fragile.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
Probably the most common failing of the updated 1st gen cars. I can't imagine there's anyone that has (or has had) one that isn't either driving with them damaged (my wife's 07 for instance), or has replaced them X amount of times. She's drives all highway, and like others that do, they'll get hit in no time by road debris and they (the lenses) seem to be pretty fragile.
I had both cracked foglights replaced by the dealer free as a goodwill (they cracked within the first 6 months of ownership. I put rockblocker on them and they have been good since then.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I must say that this thread is amazing in the durability of this vehicle.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 AM
625k or Bust!

Received 234 Likes on 63 Posts
I bought my '05 TSX in Dec of '14. So I'm coming up on 10 years. I've had very few problems with mine. I'm currently at 395k miles on her and she's still going strong. I use my car for work so I have all of my dealer maintenance records posted on my blog. Very happy with the car! Everything I've ever had to do to my TSX is here...

http://tsxtravels.com/2013/09/04/the-maintenance/

very glad to see that most are getting similar results