2004-2005 Acura TSX Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004-2005 Acura TSX Manual Transmission

what do you think of your 6 spd manual transmission? First off, I have a very hight release point on my pedal and engaging the gears 1 through 3 is very iffffffyyyyy......especially when ur rolling a bit and you put it into 1st, the car hopps...its very weird..... Secondly has anyone exp3erience the gears shift a little hard some times.......sort of like ur shifting pieces of metal...........its like ur dragging in all the other gears.......what are your shifting habits...do you drop the clutch , change gears and accelerate while doing it or do you simply drop the clutch, change gears, release cluthch and then accelerate because when i do the latter, the car jerks a little...still trying to understand the tranny anyone care to explain to me the shifting habits of the tsx??
Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you always need 50 smileys?

Other than the complaints about shifting from 1 to 2, the TSX tranny is one of the smoothest you can buy. It truely is a thing of beauty.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594

Other than the complaints about shifting from 1 to 2, the TSX tranny is one of the smoothest you can buy. It truely is a thing of beauty.
I totally agree... SOOOO smooth
Old 05-25-2005, 02:10 PM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by vipermz666
especially when ur rolling a bit and you put it into 1st, the car hopps...
That happends in almost every car, one of the reason most people don't really shift into first when moving much. I learned stick on a non-synchro car (a '64 Sunbeam Alpine) so I'm not used to shifting into 1st anyway but I'm sure people will testify to the fact that shifting into first when moving is gonna be bumpy in all cars
Old 05-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I'm rolling above 5 mph, I'll usually just go straight into 2nd, and when I'm starting from standstill, I still change into 2nd around 10 mph or whenever I've got the car moving. I've gotten rid of the slight chatter and lurching problem changing into 1st (or 2nd if it's the first engaged gear) by making sure that the rpm stays above 2000 and I let down the clutch slowly enough. When I change gears from 1 to 2 and on, I can now just let down the clutch fast. It's a timing thing and making sure that you change gear and let down the clutch before the engine has time to settle down too much.

My gear change sequence now is
1. let go of gas (if you push in the clutch and THEN let go of gas, you'll notice a surge in the rpm since the engine has extra gas and without the clutch, is free reving)
2. push in the clutch all the way pretty fast
3. change gears (if you change too fast from 1 to 2, i notice it gets notchy, but 2 to 3 and on is smooth)
4. let down the clutch to the engaging point, give a little gas (minimal just to get rev matching) and let down the clutch all the way. this step sounds like it's multiple steps but really only takes a fraction of a second.

i never stop really when letting go of the clutch, you just have to time the start of the gas so you don't press it too early when the clutch is still out and then you'll have a free revving engine. if you press too late and you're not fast enough with the tranny shift, then it'll lurch a little. if you do it all very fast, you should have a really smooth gear shift.

5. give it more gas. and then give it some more gas.

normal driving, I change gears up when I hit about 3000-3500. hope that helps the lurching and chattering problem. I've noticed that as long as you give enough gas to stay above 2000 when going into 1st, AND you don't let out the clutch too fast, you should have no problem with lurching or chattering.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594

I dun have problem shifting 1-2. And me too, love that tranny on every bit.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Instructor

I'm always amazed by the number of posts from people that can't drive this car smoothly. Maybe take a driver's ed course or something? I've always had manual cars, and this tranny is the best of them all. If you're grinding, hopping, slipping, lurching, etc--trade it in for the slushbox. Jeeze.....
Old 05-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scl23
When I'm rolling above 5 mph, I'll usually just go straight into 2nd, and when I'm starting from standstill, I still change into 2nd around 10 mph or whenever I've got the car moving. I've gotten rid of the slight chatter and lurching problem changing into 1st (or 2nd if it's the first engaged gear) by making sure that the rpm stays above 2000 and I let down the clutch slowly enough. When I change gears from 1 to 2 and on, I can now just let down the clutch fast. It's a timing thing and making sure that you change gear and let down the clutch before the engine has time to settle down too much.

My gear change sequence now is
1. let go of gas (if you push in the clutch and THEN let go of gas, you'll notice a surge in the rpm since the engine has extra gas and without the clutch, is free reving)
2. push in the clutch all the way pretty fast
3. change gears (if you change too fast from 1 to 2, i notice it gets notchy, but 2 to 3 and on is smooth)
4. let down the clutch to the engaging point, give a little gas (minimal just to get rev matching) and let down the clutch all the way. this step sounds like it's multiple steps but really only takes a fraction of a second.

i never stop really when letting go of the clutch, you just have to time the start of the gas so you don't press it too early when the clutch is still out and then you'll have a free revving engine. if you press too late and you're not fast enough with the tranny shift, then it'll lurch a little. if you do it all very fast, you should have a really smooth gear shift.

5. give it more gas. and then give it some more gas.

normal driving, I change gears up when I hit about 3000-3500. hope that helps the lurching and chattering problem. I've noticed that as long as you give enough gas to stay above 2000 when going into 1st, AND you don't let out the clutch too fast, you should have no problem with lurching or chattering.
Looks like you've got it well sorted out.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

Thanks...

Thanks for the info, but first off, no i dont grind and secondly after driving manual all my life I pretty much know how to drive especially when i have a 300zx parked in my garage......however the 1st gear is notchy no matter how you slice it....even if you goooo reaaallly slow and try to keep it as smooth as you can when push comes to shove and you are in traffic, the tranny is a pain, my 300zx is a beaut in traffic and even more beuaty on open highway taking it to 10 and up all the time....by the way........the tranny as of 2nd gear is really good and tranny is solid.......no complaints bout that..just that the clutch should have been harder instead of soft as it is........
Old 05-26-2005, 05:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
...after driving manual all my life...

Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
especially when i have a 300zx parked in my garage
Old 05-26-2005, 07:38 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Last time I checked, the only tranny that's on par with the TSX is the S2000s...

True me, I've been driving MT cars all my life ;-)
Old 05-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=YBA]Last time I checked, the only tranny that's on par with the TSX is the S2000s...

Agreed. Honda truly does make the nicest "feeling" gearboxes, although Accords have been a bit rubbery in the past (I haven't driven the newest models.) And I know opinions are like a-holes, but I've driven a few 300Zs, and the gearbox is no where near as smooth as the Acura's. In fact, I've never driven a Nissan with a decent feeling shifter. The Altima's throws are a miiiiiilllllle apart.

Perhaps you're simply shifting into first too often? Once you get rolling, there's really not a need to drop into first unless you are absolutely at a dead stop. I've had mine about 7 months, and I can chauffer my granny around town without even sloshing her coffee around Good luck with your practice.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:38 PM
10th Gear

Teeth missing in main drive gear

Hi Folks,

My 2004 TSX with 63000 Km is in the Acura dealership waiting for a warranty repair for two teeth missing on main drive gear. Anybody else had this?

I baby the car and seldom drive it hard. Changed transmission oil at 48000 km. I commute 80 km to work each day so most driving is highway miles. I have to wait for 3 to 4 weeks for the part to be shipped from Japan and I hate driving the Pontiac Grand Am that Acura supplied as a free rental.

I noticed a regular but slight THUMP THUMP while driving. Sounded like a tire or brake grab but disappeared if coasting. Shaken my confidence a bit in the product, I must say!

Rod.