1st car accedent with out being hit by another car

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st car accedent with out being hit by another car

so i was headed in to the audio store and on the free the 3 lanes had shiffted. so i was in the far left lane and some old lady in a durango does not see the lane shift and comes right into my lane....almost runs me into the center median but instead of the median i hit one of those 4ft tall road reflectors. the lady does not let me get behind her so that i can get her licence plate number and she doesnt pull over. so basically she runs away. so i pull over to see the damage and head light is busted to fuck aspec front lip is cracked fog light cracked hood dented in and scuffs up and down from where the reflector hit. i will have pics up later. as for the cost to fix....$2000!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a plain as day hit and run (called a no contact collision) which in most states is automatically the fault of the party who left the scene. If you had a third party who saw it happen it would make things easier. The insurance company will investigate and decide whether they believe you or not. From what I've seen, they're typically on your side unless you've got a history of these types of accidents. As long as your driving record is in good shape, these kind of events don't usually effect your premium.

That's some bullshit though. Any chance any traffic cameras are in the area?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
why didn't you chase after her and call 911 in the process? Your car still drivable at the time, right?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Instructor

well my insurance said i could not do nething about it. and it was in the freeway. and they would not let me get behind them to follow them or get a licence plate number.

sry if u cant see it that well....the front lip is cracked, the bumper gut knocked off near the light, the head light is f@#$%d up, and the hood got dented, and the fog light is cracked.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too bad...no injuries though...

Why did you not chase her down , follow her...

Your car was driveable, was it not?

Don't tell us that Durango POS out ran you? HEMI?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Drifting

I'm pretty cool with the fact that he didn't decide to get involved with a dangerous attempt to maneuver behind some one in who was actively trying to prevent that from happening in heavy traffic. Honestly I'm a little surprised to here that out of a 59 year old guy. I'd hope at that age you'd be a little more sensible.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Instructor

well i tried to get behind her to get a licence plate number, but she kept slowing down. and at the time i did not realize i had hit nething...i was more happy that i did not hit the center median or even get hit my the durango. i realized i hit something when i parked my car the audio store.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ok so you say she was slowing down. Does this mean she was behind you? If so, couldn't you at least get the description of the car and the driver? Don't you have a cell phone with a camera? The possibilities are there but I guess you were panicked and worried about the car and couldn't think clearly. In the future make sure to track them down at all cost if they seem to try to escape. You should get 911 on the phone while you're at it. I'm sure there is a highway patrol on duty somewhere nearby who could assist you in capturing the driver. Good luck to you. BTW, if you had honked and caused commotion, I'm sure other drivers on the freeway would have seen what happened and would have helped you out by calling the cops or capturing the license plate number.

Last edited by kingkong222; 12-15-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: my nuts itched
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
2000 to fix that?!?!? dude, that doesnt even look much. replacing just your whole front bumper doesnt even hit 1000. try to find another estimate. Im sorry but im cheap and i always look for cheap body shop
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad you are not hurt.

But like others I'm confused on how you didn't get the plates. If the driver who caused the accident reduced speed, then you could have slowed down too.

People will tailgate when you slow down so, you can turn on your hazards, reduce speed, then slow down to get behind to get the plates.

Chalk it up to a great learning experience so you'll learn how to react more calmly next time.

Last edited by xenonhid; 12-15-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Instructor

i dont do cheap body shops...for the reason they never do good jobs. have had a bad experience. ya 2000 sounds like alot to me too. but it might be cheaper they are going to try to fix the hood with out repainting. new head light fog light and lip are probly close to 1000 jus for those parts. then there labor cost. it all adds up right. but they guy said he was going to work with me to get the price down.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Instructor

well to answer ur question about slowing down and everything....i was on the freeway and i was slowing down but they were as well and they were staying a couple hundred feet behind me. and also the durango had already been in another accident from what i saw. the old lady would not allow me to get behind her.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Unregistered User

thats not good. Some day I will install a missile launcher on my car and shoot those suckers
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Instructor

hahahahahahaha i wish i could install something like that. lol
Old 12-16-2008, 04:09 AM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you're not hurt.

...thank God you hit the road reflector and not a tree.
As for the lady in the Durango; Karma will get her lovely.

Bad drivers FTL.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Don't let these people telling you that you didn't do enough bother you. I was in a similar situation years ago where I guy in a POS Camero side swiped me and then proceeded to take off. Heavy traffic, multiple lanes and the guy did not want to be caught. I attempted briefly to catch up but gave up pretty quick since it just wasn't safe. Trying to make good decisions quickly immediately after something which stirs the emotions so fiercely is really tough. It's better the other person get away than you end up causing an even bigger problem trying to prevent them.

I'm not surprised about the quote you got at all either. It's about what I would expect.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
Don't let these people telling you that you didn't do enough bother you. I was in a similar situation years ago where I guy in a POS Camero side swiped me and then proceeded to take off. Heavy traffic, multiple lanes and the guy did not want to be caught. I attempted briefly to catch up but gave up pretty quick since it just wasn't safe. Trying to make good decisions quickly immediately after something which stirs the emotions so fiercely is really tough. It's better the other person get away than you end up causing an even bigger problem trying to prevent them.

I'm not surprised about the quote you got at all either. It's about what I would expect.

u are right. I was once driving my father's 03 Pontiac Vibe down the street at like 45 MPH and there were no stop lights or stop signs in my way. Suddenly, some oooooold guy in a golden Oldsmobile pulled out right in the front of me... braking wouldnt stop the car and I didn't want to kill the old man (even though it was entirely his fault). I swerved and knocked down a massive cement light pole. Car was totaled. the engine was smashed next to the cabin wall, the airbags did not deplay and that little locking device in the door column that locks up when u try to pull the seat belt hards simply broke.... it couldnt take the stress of holding of my 140 LBS body in its place... speaking of the safety of American cars here, but that is not the point. Someone called the police, there was a witness and I spent next 6 hours in the hospital. I received minor concussion, broken nose, 4 teeth were knocked out, stretched neck muscles, lower back damage and pain in the stomack. The police report said that the guy was 83 years old on the date of accident. I was 17. Both witness and police said that it was the other driver's fault. I ended up wining a law case.

Now I truly hate to hear about what happened, but trust me, its better than hitting a tree or a light pole and spending 3 weeks at home recovering and visiting all kinds of doctors for almost a year like it was with me
Old 12-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I'm pretty cool with the fact that he didn't decide to get involved with a dangerous attempt to maneuver behind some one in who was actively trying to prevent that from happening in heavy traffic. Honestly I'm a little surprised to here that out of a 59 year old guy. I'd hope at that age you'd be a little more sensible.
With all the lunacy I have seen in the last 10 years, sensibility is in very short supply....hope it turns out Ok for you, It would have been nice to safely get her info ...call it a Public Service....
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Instructor

well i dropped my car off at the shop today so i will hopfully get it back friday.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Modding newbie

I've learned from experience that it's not worth getting out of the way when someone does something stupid like that. Just take the vehicular hit and sue for bodily damages.
I swerved to avoid someone running into me once. I ended up causing another wreck which was my fault instead of the driver who ran me off the road. Unless you could die, it's not worth avoiding a wreck.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Instructor

well i am pretty sure i would not want to take the hit....cause it could have been a total on my car. i would have hit her then the median and probly would have been bouncing back and forth between the car and the wall. so i think i mad the best maneuver i could have made in that situation. plus hitting a wall at 65 to 70 mph...ya i dont think i would want to do that. and also i dont want to be injured...cause if i had jus taken the hit i more than likly would have been hurt. and i think thats kinda stupid to jus take the hit. that could have made the situation worse. so i think what i did was the best thing to do.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
detour

feel ur pain bud..shit happened to me too couple yrs ago..except i went after the fuck!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Instructor

like i said i would have but but she would not allow me to get behind her. and i had to get off at the next exit.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Only swerve if you can swerve and not hit something. (I learned that the hard way, unfortunately, except I swerved to miss a dumbass, and I hit an another innocent motorist) It is always better to hit a dumbass driver than to avoid the dumbass and kamikaze suicide.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Instructor

It figures that a person is a bad driver if you see dents and scratches all over their bumpers.

I was walking by in the city where this college girl and her buddies were parallel parking a car. Her bumpers were scratched up. She backs up a little too far with too much gas, and hits a C230 behind her.

I yell, "Learn how to Park Stupid!!!" and her lady friends reply, "She does know how to park, thank you very much." in a sarcastic way.

I would've been so pissed if that was my car.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM
8th Gear

I hit a deer from behind going 75 mph on the highway:

http://www.prosoundsystem.com/rip-prelude/
Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Drifting

^^^ Damn! that deer must have had some hang time. Did you hit a rail or something afterward? Too bad, the ludes were sweet cars.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 AM
8th Gear

Hit the deer and it bounced off the hood and over the car. Went into the guard rail on the left shoulder and bounced off it a few times. Overcompensated too much trying to get off the rail and spun the car 180 degrees at which point the car slid across 4 lanes of I-95 facing oncoming traffic before settling on the far right shoulder.

Yes, I'm just happy to be alive. As for the deer, it was like hitting a lawn ornament at 75 mph - it went flying.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

u have the cost .. the list of things that they charge u??

because i still dun think front lip + headlights + fog lights... will cost that much tho..

Should be 200-300 for the lips.. (i dunno, just guessing, cuz u can get the whole kit painted on ebay for 860)
Headlights.. hmm, also about 200-300 for one side? (but if u're getting two, then y not get the JDM headlights.. lol..)
And fog lights... this i m not sure how much it cost tho.. and not sure if u can install it yourself since i can't myself.
but as for the front lip and headlights.. u can get a friend and install together, only cost $5 .. to buy your friend a drink. lol.

so most $600 + fog light cost + labor for installing fog lights + free DIY installation... cost around $1000.. ?

edit: dun flame me people.. if i say something wrong. lol.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Instructor

well the lip was over 300 as was the head light the fog light was like 150. so 750 for jus those parts. not to mention like 85 an hour for install, and then had to repair the hood. take the bend and the kink out and repaint it. so ya it came to about 1800.