1month old TSX... Rear Ended.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1month old TSX... Rear Ended.

I just got my 07 TSX 5 weeks ago... and someone already rear ended me on Monday on the freeway. The damage is very minimal on the surface, just some small marks and scratch, barely noticable. After getting a quote from the dealer's body, they said they want 850 dollars just for resurfacing/repainting the bumper. But triple A is @#)($ to deal with, they'll only give me about 615 on check. My plan is to drive the car around for a while until I save up enough to get the Aspec kit from curryacura, then replace the whole thing altogether. What do you guys think? I'm kinda worried about internal damage... although there's no dents on the bumper.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
There shouldn't be any internal damage. I've been hit from the rear a good 3 times now, just a few knicks and dents here and there, the back bumper is quite the strong one. *knocks on wood*
Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
East Coast Crew

Originally Posted by ArcticBlue.
I just got my 07 TSX 5 weeks ago... and someone already rear ended me on Monday on the freeway. The damage is very minimal on the surface, just some small marks and scratch, barely noticable. After getting a quote from the dealer's body, they said they want 850 dollars just for resurfacing/repainting the bumper. But triple A is @#)($ to deal with, they'll only give me about 615 on check. My plan is to drive the car around for a while until I save up enough to get the Aspec kit from curryacura, then replace the whole thing altogether. What do you guys think? I'm kinda worried about internal damage... although there's no dents on the bumper.
They should give you enough to replace the bumper. It's only 253 dollars on acuraoemparts. You just need to paint the bumper. Im not too sure how much it is to paint. You could also talk to the other person's insurance and tell them that your car lost value since it was hit and see what they say.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Damn that sucks. I'm assuming that AAA insurance is the other person's insurance.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Advanced

man... triple A is the other person's insurance. triple A is very hard on their policys here... I'm really thinking of just get the check and get the A-Spec underbody kit later...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Not Driving, Just Posting

is AAA the other drivers insurance company???

being that you got rear-ended i'm guessing that the other driver was at fault and possibly ticketed to state that fact?

if all the above is so, then tell the AAA agent to give you your $$ or you'll see them in court if they won't

you have the right to go to the body shop of your choice and as long as the replacement costs are reasonably close they have to pay the amount if there insured driver was at fault. if your estimate was 2 to 3 times the amount then they could put up a stink, but less than $250 is a complete crapshoot.

all of this is contingent on the other driver being on record as being the at fault driver
Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Insurance companies all basically quote from the "same book", so to speak.

There should be a body shop that will fix the damage for the amount of the damage appraisal, and if the find additional damage, the insurance company will usually issue a supplement without much ado.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by SeanS627
is AAA the other drivers insurance company???

being that you got rear-ended i'm guessing that the other driver was at fault and possibly ticketed to state that fact?

if all the above is so, then tell the AAA agent to give you your $$ or you'll see them in court if they won't

you have the right to go to the body shop of your choice and as long as the replacement costs are reasonably close they have to pay the amount if there insured driver was at fault. if your estimate was 2 to 3 times the amount then they could put up a stink, but less than $250 is a complete crapshoot.

all of this is contingent on the other driver being on record as being the at fault driver
AAA cannot tell you how much you get, the shop that appraises it determines that. AAA can have an independent appraiser if they disagree, but AAA can't arbitrarily decide what you should get
Old 03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced

I dunno about that, the AAA agent called me up and told me to come in for an estimate. She really pissed me off...After taking a small look and taking some pictures, I got a fax of the estimate. The fax pretty much says "you can either take this amount or you can go see court". There's also another option which is to take it to a shop and let them do it, then AAA will send the check directly to the shop.

However, given my circumstances... I rather keep the money than repairing, there's no bumps or anything, just minor scrapes. Only resurfacing/paint is needed.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Not Driving, Just Posting

I dunno about that, the AAA agent called me up and told me to come in for an estimate. She really pissed me off...After taking a small look and taking some pictures, I got a fax of the estimate. The fax pretty much says "you can either take this amount or you can go see court". There's also another option which is to take it to a shop and let them do it, then AAA will send the check directly to the shop.

However, given my circumstances... I rather keep the money than repairing, there's no bumps or anything, just minor scrapes. Only resurfacing/paint is needed.
they will try to do the estimate themselves and send it to one of there recommended shops because they usually charge the insurance company a lower labor rate if they send them enough business

you need to tell the agent that you want the money for the estimate from the shop of your choice or you will sue them for 10x the amount(just a figure, but don't give in)

there trying to cut the cost down as much as possible, but it's your right being the victim in this case to get it done the way you want and as long as the price isn't crazy they have to pay it.

even if you don't get it fixed then you should get the check in the amount of the estimate from the shop of your choice and if they choose not to get a lawyer. this is a case you will easily win

your info says your 19 and the agent is probably taking you as a nieve teenager and hoping to slip one by you, don't let them
Old 03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Advanced

If you're going to keep the money then they have you. Otherwise, yes they will fix it as you said, and they will pay the body shop. It seems like this thread is worthless.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear

That's so frustrating - but at least it will only require resurfacing and painting. About a month after getting my new TSX, one of my best friends (and a new driver) was pulling out of the parking space at school, only to scrape the side of the back of my car.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what you're trying to do is pretty much insurance fraud. you should get the work done and they'll pay for it. if you're asking for cash for yourself, they're gonna screw you because they know what you're doing.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by SeanS627
they will try to do the estimate themselves and send it to one of there recommended shops because they usually charge the insurance company a lower labor rate if they send them enough business

you need to tell the agent that you want the money for the estimate from the shop of your choice or you will sue them for 10x the amount(just a figure, but don't give in)

there trying to cut the cost down as much as possible, but it's your right being the victim in this case to get it done the way you want and as long as the price isn't crazy they have to pay it.

even if you don't get it fixed then you should get the check in the amount of the estimate from the shop of your choice and if they choose not to get a lawyer. this is a case you will easily win

your info says your 19 and the agent is probably taking you as a nieve teenager and hoping to slip one by you, don't let them

if he gets the work done at a shop, they'll pay the claim no problem. the reason why they're giving him a problem is because they're not stupid, they know he's trying to just get cash and pocket the money. they're not exactly the evil insurance company in this case.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Just have the bumper repaired and have insurance pay for the cost. Don't try to make a profit out of this by trying to pocket the money.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by Daffunda
Just have the bumper repaired and have insurance pay for the cost. Don't try to make a profit out of this by trying to pocket the money.
and people complain that insurance rates are too high.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:38 AM
Advanced

600 dollars isnt really enough to replace the bumper. So heres some updates... I went to the shop and they found internal damage, so now the insurance have to cover a whole new bumper and fix the shock obsorber panel.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:39 AM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

stick it to them.