08 TSX MP3 CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidspalding
I was referring to FM radio, not CD (or CD-R) track titles. I'd be impressed if ANY car radio showed text for those "enhanced CDs" which display title info on my Yamaha home DVD player.
I'm not sure I know what you're saying by enhanced CD's. Won't a CD with CDA files display track info on a properly equipped player? I know the Pioneer I had in my Ford truck did that - I think the 2000 Ford factory player (which is back in there now) does, too. Ever since I got XM I rarely listen to CD's, and since the GM Bose I have plays MP3's, I don't think I've ever put a regular CD in the drive. (It displays all of the info for MP3 data files.)

For those of you who are mad at Acura about the MP3 shortfall, I have to agree that it's bad. We bought a bottom feeder Suzuki Aerio to be an airport car last year, and it plays MP3's - this is an Aerio sedan with essentially no options, and my TSX priced well over twice as much won't do it.

As far as suing Acura, good luck. I think they can always claim that the description refers to MP3's burned as audio CD's - useless for what we're talking about, but that's their way out.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tex929rr
I think they can always claim that the description refers to MP3's burned as audio CD's - useless for what we're talking about, but that's their way out.
That's not a way out. There is nothing mp3 about an audio CD sourced from mp3. Infact, unless someone tells you a CD was sourced from a high quality mp3, you need a sophisticated audio analyzer to know that the audio was once in a compressed format.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tex929rr
I'm not sure I know what you're saying by enhanced CD's. Won't a CD with CDA files display track info on a properly equipped player? I know the Pioneer I had in my Ford truck did that - I think the 2000 Ford factory player (which is back in there now) does, too. Ever since I got XM I rarely listen to CD's, and since the GM Bose I have plays MP3's, I don't think I've ever put a regular CD in the drive. (It displays all of the info for MP3 data files.)

For those of you who are mad at Acura about the MP3 shortfall, I have to agree that it's bad. We bought a bottom feeder Suzuki Aerio to be an airport car last year, and it plays MP3's - this is an Aerio sedan with essentially no options, and my TSX priced well over twice as much won't do it.

As far as suing Acura, good luck. I think they can always claim that the description refers to MP3's burned as audio CD's - useless for what we're talking about, but that's their way out.
Nope nope. It says in the brochure:

MP3 Capability is yours two ways: Insert your MP3-Formatted Discs into the 6 Disc in Dash CD Changer, or plug in your portable Player - including ones that are compatible with the Windows Media(c) Audio(WMA) - into the MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack conveniently located next to the 12 volt power outlet.

Wording specifically says MP3 formatted CDs. They've admitted on the phone to me it was an error after me explaining what an MP3 CD is to them as opposed to an Audio CD. I even had one of them try to tell me to make a WMA CD. The 6 CD Changer does not play MP3 CDs in any type of MP3 format regardless of quality, etc. It's outdated technology and unless they redesigned 6 Disc CD Changer by adding the correct technology inside the changer it's a big lie in the brochure and their press release.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mriouserw
I use to work at a car audio store, where a lot of people complained about a similar problem where their mp3 players don't play, although it says clearly MP3 on it. I don't know if this is the case with the 08 stock radio, but sometimes the burn speed of the mp3 CDs must be at a certain rate, otherwise the player will not recognize it. Hope that helps!
I wish this was the case. I turned about a half dozen or so CDRs into coasters trying different formats, etc. Not one of them worked. They did work though when I stuck them in my friend's Scion TC CD player. His played the MP3s right away and I could move from one track to the other. The TSX just says T 01 when you put the CD in and it doesn't play music or advance to another track.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Banned

FYI it says track one because it thinks the blob of data is supposed to be a song.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KidQwik
Hell.. I'd be happy if my 6 Disc Changer just played the MP3s like it was supposed to.

... Nope nope. It says in the brochure: "MP3 Capability is yours two ways..."
Yes, dude. You keep saying this. We keep hearing you saying this. We looked at the scanned image. I think we're almost unanimously nodding in agreement. Please, enough of the broken record. Even a caveman can read back in this thread.

I can understand the speed problem. About 10 years ago, I found that audio cds burned at a "max write speed" of a pretty darn good CD burner wouldn't play in my Toshiba 6-DVD carousel, but they WOULD play in a cheap Sony Discman. Go figure. I thought it was the more 'robust' components of the portable, but that was a WAG.[1] I tried burning the same material at 8x, or 4x, all other options the same, and discs were 100% more compatible.

I think if an Acura mouthpiece tries differentiating between an "MP3-formatted CD" (meaning an audio CD converted from MP3 files) or an "MP3-formatted CD-R disc," then the whole "Advance" advertising compaign is a load of hooey. If it isn't already. "Advance ... to 1998 technology."

[1]Wild @ss guess.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:18 PM
The Power of Dreams

forgive me if this was already asked...i didn't read through every response, but has anyone checked the differences between Navi and Non-Navi '08MY MP3-disc capability?

i'm not entirely sure to what extent the stereos differ by (if any at all), but it may...

can anyone verify both both navi and non-navi units?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mwschmit
forgive me if this was already asked...i didn't read through every response, but has anyone checked the differences between Navi and Non-Navi '08MY MP3-disc capability?

i'm not entirely sure to what extent the stereos differ by (if any at all), but it may...

can anyone verify both both navi and non-navi units?
I've only tried it on my non-navi. If it works on the Navi, then they should make my car Navi.. Just so I can play my MP3s of course. :-) Seriously though, I'd be happy with just the thing playing MP3s, no navi needed.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Yes, dude. You keep saying this. We keep hearing you saying this. We looked at the scanned image. I think we're almost unanimously nodding in agreement. Please, enough of the broken record. Even a caveman can read back in this thread.

I can understand the speed problem. About 10 years ago, I found that audio cds burned at a "max write speed" of a pretty darn good CD burner wouldn't play in my Toshiba 6-DVD carousel, but they WOULD play in a cheap Sony Discman. Go figure. I thought it was the more 'robust' components of the portable, but that was a WAG.[1] I tried burning the same material at 8x, or 4x, all other options the same, and discs were 100% more compatible.

I think if an Acura mouthpiece tries differentiating between an "MP3-formatted CD" (meaning an audio CD converted from MP3 files) or an "MP3-formatted CD-R disc," then the whole "Advance" advertising compaign is a load of hooey. If it isn't already. "Advance ... to 1998 technology."

[1]Wild @ss guess.

Actually I don't think most of the people at customer care know the difference. I had to explain to them. They were telling to make MP3 CDs which I said I did. Then they were saying making CDs with WMA files and I said "uhh, are you sure?" After numerous times on hold and them talkin to people who were more in the know there they finally realized the thing doesn't play MP3 CDs. Anthony said it did not play CDs and it was an error. The blurb they have in the brochure is not only false, but they tried to make it sound like that aux jack was awesome technology that could play WMAs, etc. It's a mini line in jack! It will play pretty much anything that is connected. Oh. And that aux jack is placed really bad. It has a flip up cover that points to the back of the glove compartment. It's not the easiest insert since you can't see where you're putting the mini in and the cap keeps flopping down while your doing it and then the console cover you've lifted up sort of gets in your way. It's way low-tech and designed poorly.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wackura
FYI it says track one because it thinks the blob of data is supposed to be a song.
Ya, I know. I wish it said "Please refer to Brochure".
Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM

And that aux jack is placed really bad. It has a flip up cover that points to the back of the glove compartment. It's not the easiest insert since you can't see where you're putting the mini in and the cap keeps flopping down while your doing it and then the console cover you've lifted up sort of gets in your way. It's way low-tech and designed poorly.
One of my major complaints. I just leave the cord in there (which enables the AUX input on the head unit all the time, minor complaint), and have it run through the "cord hooks" to the top of the armrest. I plug my Inno, Nokia 6682, or PDA in there, on any given day. Of course, i have to be careful not to put anything big or heavy in the armrest storage, lest it bend or break either the plug or the jack itself. I pro'ly need to get a cord with two elbow plugs....

In fact, this AM I put in some cds (incl. one burned from mp3s to Redbook Audio standard; whassup, Anthony) for the first time in 2-3 months.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

I like the placement of the aux jack for the reason they probably put it there; you can easily hide the wire without ever having to unplug it. If the aux jack was near the "this is not an ashtray" odity for example you'd have to have the storage door open to get at it and find a place to keep the wire after you're done with it.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced

One of my major complaints. I just leave the cord in there (which enables the AUX input on the head unit all the time, minor complaint), and have it run through the "cord hooks" to the top of the armrest. I plug my Inno, Nokia 6682, or PDA in there, on any given day. Of course, i have to be careful not to put anything big or heavy in the armrest storage, lest it bend or break either the plug or the jack itself. I pro'ly need to get a cord with two elbow plugs....

In fact, this AM I put in some cds (incl. one burned from mp3s to Redbook Audio standard; whassup, Anthony) for the first time in 2-3 months.
The package has been delivered to them as per the tracking confirmation, soooo.. Let's see how long it takes them to respond back if they respond back at all. If they don't respond back then I'd have to take this to the next phase which I REALLY don't want to have to do.. Sigh.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced

I like the placement of the aux jack for the reason they probably put it there; you can easily hide the wire without ever having to unplug it. If the aux jack was near the "this is not an ashtray" odity for example you'd have to have the storage door open to get at it and find a place to keep the wire after you're done with it.
I'd like it on the opposite side of the glove compartment. This way I could see what I'd be sticking a mini cable in if I was to use it. Feeling around for the hole or having my head against the inside of the open glove compartment lid just isn't ergonomical in my opinion. If it face the front of the faced the front of the car at an upward angle instead of the back it would be easier to see because of it's position and the possibility of more being able to shine on it. One thing I do not like about the inside of the car other than the "BIG LIE" is the velvet RED This Is Not an Ashtray compartment. Red just seems like the totally wrong color for that. Carbon fiber would have been nicer. :-b
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

I'd like it on the opposite side of the glove compartment.
You mean center console right? Please say you meant center console.

One thing no car seem to have that I'd like is some sort of harness or a place where a harness could be clipped on that would hold an mp3 player somewhere where it can be seen. I hate dropping it in the drink holder, setting it on the passenger seat etc. There no good place to clip it on. I found a place to mount a cell phone/mp3 player holder on a '98 Civic, and that was very convenient.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Though each and every day something reminds me that I'm driving no more than a Honda Accord, I do admit to finding the AUX plug (though hard to plug into), the cord pass-through (which the CNET nimrods couldn't find), and the armrest tray thing, all fit my music-playing devices. On a long trip, a power cord for them can be plugged in and routed too. Nice. I can't complain much about the "hard to control" factor, as I usually only turn the device on, off, or |> play.

Kidqwk, if you post one more monotonous useless position report on the heroic progress of your "package" through the United States Postal Service, or repeat the same damn thing you've posted only a day or two before, I'm checking out. Speaking for myself, I do not suffer from short term memory loss. When I suggested, "Keep us up to date," I wasn't expecting daily reports of no significance. Settle down, okay?
Old 10-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

That's not a way out. There is nothing mp3 about an audio CD sourced from mp3. Infact, unless someone tells you a CD was sourced from a high quality mp3, you need a sophisticated audio analyzer to know that the audio was once in a compressed format.
Not really, transcoded audio sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

Maybe if you know what to listen for. Here's a tip: don't learn what to listen for.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Advanced

You mean center console right? Please say you meant center console.

One thing no car seem to have that I'd like is some sort of harness or a place where a harness could be clipped on that would hold an mp3 player somewhere where it can be seen. I hate dropping it in the drink holder, setting it on the passenger seat etc. There no good place to clip it on. I found a place to mount a cell phone/mp3 player holder on a '98 Civic, and that was very convenient.
Yeah, that's what I meant, center console.. Sigh. What happens when you're using a laptop and desktop at work at the same time. Typos, wrong words, wrong thoughts, etc. Grr.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Though each and every day something reminds me that I'm driving no more than a Honda Accord, I do admit to finding the AUX plug (though hard to plug into), the cord pass-through (which the CNET nimrods couldn't find), and the armrest tray thing, all fit my music-playing devices. On a long trip, a power cord for them can be plugged in and routed too. Nice. I can't complain much about the "hard to control" factor, as I usually only turn the device on, off, or |> play.

Kidqwk, if you post one more monotonous useless position report on the heroic progress of your "package" through the United States Postal Service, or repeat the same damn thing you've posted only a day or two before, I'm checking out. Speaking for myself, I do not suffer from short term memory loss. When I suggested, "Keep us up to date," I wasn't expecting daily reports of no significance. Settle down, okay?
What are you talking about???? I said I sent a delivery confirmation letter and I said it got there to let everyone know I was actually doing more than email posts and I'd let everyone know what happens. I didn't say "it's been day 2 since the package got there and no response yet... I'll let you on on Day 3 if anything has changed..." I was hearing "you're complaining but not doing anything about it" and I ended up doing something about it more then phone calls and email posts(though I do think four calls prior to sending a letter was actually doing something). You need to chill out. You're the one griping about someone trying to actually help 2008 TSX people out. If you don't want to know more, don't read the thread, shrugs.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear

I just bought a 2008 TSX w/ Navi last night. I pulled all my MP3 discs from my old car (Benz), put them in and get nothing. I was extremely disappointed as well.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Chill out man Kidqwk is trying to help..
Old 10-06-2007, 01:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hardF
I just bought a 2008 TSX w/ Navi last night. I pulled all my MP3 discs from my old car (Benz), put them in and get nothing. I was extremely disappointed as well.
Call up Customer Care and let them know you did not get what you paid for. The brochure says your CD changer is supposed to play MP3s, why isn't it? I think it's going to take enough people complaining before they do anything about it. If they continue to completely not give a sh*t about their error then I'm sensing class action lawsuit. Pretty stupid of them to try to brush off someone calling/writing that purchased or lease their care due to false advertising that led them believe MP3 playback was a standard option on their car for something that really doesn't exit. it would only cost them a couple hundred dollars to fix per person that called. I'm sure a lawyer dealing with just one person would costs them thousands alone.. Guess they'd rather act like the problem they created is now your problem which is the way they treated me. Here's the # to call and the address to write:

AMERICAN HONDA FINANCE CORPORATION
P.O. Box 6034
Newark, DE 19714-6034

Phone: (800) 916-9939
Customer Service Hours: Mon-Fri 9 am - 5 pm EST
Old 10-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

I wish I had an '08 instead of an '07 so I could pitch in somehow.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:04 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W T F!
that ipod cable. shows text!??!?!?! my musiclink doesnt show text at ALL
Old 10-06-2007, 03:09 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh nm thats xm. =X
Old 10-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Lightbulb are you sure that's the right address? American Honda FINANCE?

(smacks forehead) Crap, I COMPLETELY FORGOT Cem Kaner's experience with Alienware, and his superb advice for getting traction in fraudlent claims by corporations.

http://www.badsoftware.com/alienwaresucks/

Note particularly the section beginning, "So, let's look at the pressure points again....". I'm not sure American Honda FINANCE is the proper corporate address to talk to. I think you'd find the proper entity in Hoovers Online or a registry of corporations at any library.

Here's what's on their web site:
Acura Client Services
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746
800-382-2238
Again, read Cem's accounting. It's not only entertaining (in a dark, Kubrick humor sort of way), but he had superb advice on how to get solid and expeditious action out of corporations that are hiding behind a smokescreen.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:18 AM

Another post on Cem's blog which is relevant to this issue (Kidqwk, this will be of particular interest to you).

Alienware sucks: "Who's Alienwares Agent for service"

(After you read this...) So I'm suggesting you call Acura in Torrance, CA, and ask them, "Who is your corporation's Agent for Service, and what is the mailing address, please?" Send your courteous complaint to that corporate officer. Phasers locked on, Cap'n....
Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced

(smacks forehead) Crap, I COMPLETELY FORGOT Cem Kaner's experience with Alienware, and his superb advice for getting traction in fraudlent claims by corporations.

http://www.badsoftware.com/alienwaresucks/

Note particularly the section beginning, "So, let's look at the pressure points again....". I'm not sure American Honda FINANCE is the proper corporate address to talk to. I think you'd find the proper entity in Hoovers Online or a registry of corporations at any library.

Here's what's on their web site: Again, read Cem's accounting. It's not only entertaining (in a dark, Kubrick humor sort of way), but he had superb advice on how to get solid and expeditious action out of corporations that are hiding behind a smokescreen.

Err yeah. My bad. I cut n pasted the wrong info when I was logged into Owner link If I had paid attention I would have realized it was the wrong #. I've called it enough times. One u posted is correct.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced

I got a call back today about my letter. It was again from Anthony who called to tell me he received the letter and that it was documented along with the previous calls that I made and that if anything was ever going to be done about my complaints they'd contact me. He said nothing may ever be done about it. He said his supervisors passed on the letter to him to respond and nothing changed. I was like "so basically they didn't want to deal with it so they gave it to you again". I asked who his supervisors were and he said they already saw the letter and gave it to him.

Ya know. I'm really a nice guy. I'm not one for suing people, mooching for freebies, etc. I'm laid back and like to do things honestly and consider other people's situation. If I screw up something, I try to right my mistakes or fix the problem as best as I can. This whole thing has turned into a matter of principle for me due to the way Acura has treated me. I've been nice. I've been fair saying all I want is what was supposed to come with the car and if they can't provide exactly what was to come with the car a cheap alternative. Yet all they've kind of said is that they screwed up(which took a lot of effort to get them to admit) and it's not their problem, it's mine and I shouldn't be compensated and to look at the back at the brochure because they're covered by law to print false information. They've brushed off the whole thing like it's nothing and they think I'll just go away if they say no enough times. They don't realize who they're dealing with though. When it comes to matters of principle, accountability, and not treating people fairly and properly, they "messed with the wrong guy". What they're only doing is fueling me to ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE they fix the problem and ALSO not screw anyone else. I said to Anthony I guess I'd have to take this to the next level. That's what I'll do... Really Acura.. You shouldn't have %@$cked with me.... Bad move.. Bad move.. All I want is what I paid for, nothing more, nothing less. In the end I think they'll be like "we should have give the guy what we said came with the car in the brochure and our press release or AT LEAST the $325 Ipod/USA Spec setup".
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Wah, wah, wah. You've been watching too many WALKING TALL movies. I don't give a #*@& who Anthony is or what he said. Every corporation has people in place to joust with complaining consumers. You found the one at Acura. Bravo.

Again, follow Cem's suggestions. Short of that, I think you're just wasting your time. Like a gnat to a rhino, Acura America doesn't care if you keep jousting with the lackey (or lackies) who're there to stop complaints.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Banned

Yeah, it seems they've determined you're not a legal threat so they're telling you to talk to the hand.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 AM
Advanced

Wah, wah, wah. You've been watching too many WALKING TALL movies. I don't give a #*@& who Anthony is or what he said. Every corporation has people in place to joust with complaining consumers. You found the one at Acura. Bravo.

Again, follow Cem's suggestions. Short of that, I think you're just wasting your time. Like a gnat to a rhino, Acura America doesn't care if you keep jousting with the lackey (or lackies) who're there to stop complaints.
Uhh.. I have yet to make a post where I've stopped and given up. I'm doing it in steps. Try reading Cem's email and you'll see he suggests just that. Anthony thinks by telling me no the first time, and then by me sending a letter and it gets diverted to his desk and him saying no to me again will make me stop. The more he says no and it becomes a game for him, the more he'll have to worry about damage control later on. Not a game for me. Next step already was done after I got off the phone with him by me contacting one of the local news stations that covers NJ, NYC, CT, etc. They do an awesome job at covering consumer complaints when businesses don't play nice. Since it's the NYC market some of Anthony's superiors may make him rethink the game when it makes Acura look bad in a market with millions of people. Other stuff is getting sent out this week that won't land on Anthony's desk first. That was just me being nice and giving Acura an opportunity to fix their &@CK up for me. Now it's about them fixing their *(@CK up for not just me but other 2008 Acura TSX people. Like I said before.. $335 fix would have saved them quite a bit of money in the long run. Oh well. Their loss now.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:29 AM
Advanced

Yeah, it seems they've determined you're not a legal threat so they're telling you to talk to the hand.
They'll redetermine that soon. >
Old 10-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Cry havoc, and release the dogs of war. Film at 11.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:15 AM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
KidQwik - I too was pissed when I realized that Acura made that bone-head mistake in the 08 brochure.

The Panasonic ELS sound system is pretty substandard -- from the compatibility of formats, to the tissue-paper speakers to the inability to display RDS data or play HD radio.

I do note that Acura offers an MP3 player as a TSX accessory. It's made by Kenwood and fits in the center meter panel, replacing the CD storage bin. Perhaps your dealer or AHMC could sell and install the auxillary player for you at cost.

I don't know how much song info about the MP3s would display in the radio panel.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:38 AM
I can't find my garage

omg not this pointless thread again~
Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kixo
KidQwik - I too was pissed when I realized that Acura made that bone-head mistake in the 08 brochure.

The Panasonic ELS sound system is pretty substandard -- from the compatibility of formats, to the tissue-paper speakers to the inability to display RDS data or play HD radio.

I do note that Acura offers an MP3 player as a TSX accessory. It's made by Kenwood and fits in the center meter panel, replacing the CD storage bin. Perhaps your dealer or AHMC could sell and install the auxillary player for you at cost.

I don't know how much song info about the MP3s would display in the radio panel.

All it shows is folder and track#.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:14 PM
2nd Gear

KidQwik, any update on this issue?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Wait I Cant Play My Ipod In My Car?? I Have 08 Im Confused

Quick Reply: 08 TSX MP3 CD Player