'06 - 6MT or 5AT - We are so confused, Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I traded in my AT for an MT and although that strongly supports your point I still don't agree with you assessment that they are not the same car.

The AT obviously isn't as good as VW's DSG or BMW's SMG but as far as automatics go its one of the best out there. Handling wise the cars are identical, I've yet to notice any circumstances where the MT feels better around turns.

As for acceleration, the MT is quicker no doubt, but hardly to the point where I've felt I'm driving a different car or felt so much exhiliration that made me think of how slow the AT was.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:34 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if 2 people are involved and wifey likes the 5spd auto then do the right thing brother...

I luv going thru gears tho, gives me a nice rush....
Old 03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
No-navi, yo

Originally Posted by Zoopa

The 6-speed in the TSX has a housing made of magnesium, borrowed from Formula-1, and it may be the only production car on the planet with it.

What is the advantage of having housing that is made of magnesium?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't think of a disadvantage to the magnesium housing, other than magnesium is highly flammable. I believe Acura used it to save weight (I think it's 80 pounds lighter than the auto), and to demonstrate their ability to transfer race-car technology to a production car.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Thriller

zoopa huh? funny.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by YOTH
zoopa huh? funny.
Yeah, its from my old 16-valve Scirocco license plate, "Zoopa 16".
Old 03-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with AlterZgo, the 6MT is a whole different animal.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Handling wise the cars are identical, I've yet to notice any circumstances where the MT feels better around turns.
Heh. I know I probably wouldn't dare taking corners at 53mph.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calgary2800
So you have ruled out the Accord V6 Mt?
I've strongly considered the Accord V6 6 speed. It's really cheap, has tons of power, and many of my mods on my TSX (suspension, rims/tires, aux input adapter) would carry right over.

Unfortunately, I don't really like the way it looks. I'm also a bit worried about a FWD car w/ that much power. Hence I'm leaning more towards the G35/37 rather than the TL or Accord V6.

Still, the Accord has MANY qualities that are really good - cheap (can pretty much be purchased at invoice price at any time), best Nav out of all mfgs bar none, best gas mileage out of the bunch, 0-60 in 5.9!, uses 87 octane gas, etc.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlukja
LOL, If dom lived in LA this is what he would say. ^^

I drive the 5AT and I don't think it feels like a slug. However, I drove a 91 Integra 5MT for 13 years which wasn't that powerful to begin with ( I guess I've forgotten my old IROC-Z 5MT ). Not having to clutch constantly in bumper-to-bumper traffic is one reason I chose the AT. I have noticed the same lag though.
Wow. We have very similar past cars but my experience is totally different. Just prior to the TSX, I was also driving a 4 cylinder 5 speed vehicle - a 1994 Infiniti G20t. I think it may be a bit slower or about the same performance as a 91 5 speed Integra. However, I think my G20t is MUCH faster/quicker than my 5AT TSX.

Before the G20, I was also driving a high power manual transmission car - a 300ZX TT which was modded fairly extensively (larger turbos, intercoolers, injectors, intake, exhaust, etc.).

After getting rid of the Z and driving the G20 for 7 yrs, I thought I had gotten rid of my lust for power. Driving my sluggish 5AT TSX made me realize that I still crave power.

As for driving in heavy LA traffic, I honestly don't feel it's any more tedious in a MT vs. my current AT. In the MT, I found I could typically leave it in 1st gear and just roll along w/ traffic w/o hardly ever clutching or braking. In the AT, I find I have to move my foot btw the accelerator and brake pedal more often.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zoopa
Some will say, "but you can shift it if you want to with the auto". Yeah, but that novelty will soon wear off, and the DSG trannys from VW/Audi are way better. A much better option would be to go get a new A3/A4 or GTI with the DSG if you want an auto. The shift feature in the TSX auto is merely a gimmick.
This is so true. Those who think driving the sportshift is anything like driving a true manual are kidding themselves. The experience of driving the sportshift compared to the manual is like the difference btw jacking off and actually having sex. Real sex may be more involved and harder (no pun intended) but it's just so much more fun and enjoyable.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
This is so true. Those who think driving the sportshift is anything like driving a true manual are kidding themselves. The experience of driving the sportshift compared to the manual is like the difference btw jacking off and actually having sex. Real sex may be more involved and harder (no pun intended) but it's just so much more fun and enjoyable.
You paint an acurate and...disturbing image in my mind. Yeah, but sex is more fun than driving stick...right?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Pro

Sorry that my first post has to seem so naive and maybe even confrontational, but..

What is the big deal about DSG?!?
For all intents and purposes, isn't it just like "shifting" a SS AT?
Why should any adept MTer want to switch to a DSG?
No left foot interaction, no rowing through the gates, and all the "skill" you need is to tap a lever up/down or flip paddles?
I could care less if DSG gives you similar or better shifts than an MT, bottom line is that you're just not shifting your car!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Suzuka Master

We can give you all the advice in the world, but ultimately it sounds like....

....your wife is going to make the decision anyway. So enjoy what you get. It's a fine car regardless of transmission.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DLTSX6MT
Sorry that my first post has to seem so naive and maybe even confrontational, but..

No left foot interaction, no rowing through the gates, and all the "skill" you need is to tap a lever up/down or flip paddles?
I could care less if DSG gives you similar or better shifts than an MT, bottom line is that you're just not shifting your car!
Yeah, you're probably right on all points. I think the introduction of affordable "manumatics", like DSG or SMG, is a gimmick too. It probably started when Ferrari began offering them as a $20,000 option on cars like the 360 Modena. Ferrari could finally offer an automatic to the rich, without the hassle or bourgeois aspect "of shifting gears yourself", and market "F-1 technology". These were simply transmissions that were manufactured for Formula-1 cars, where they actually serve a purpose.

Now car companys are offering manumatics that really do a good jog imitating the F-1 transmissions, they blip throttle between gears etc..., and cost a little over a $1k. In addition there are no standards, one company may up-shift on the right paddle, and downshift on the left, the paddles may or may not follow the wheel as you turn, another maufacturer will downshift by pushing. I remeber driving VW's Tiptronic, not DSG, and could only think "this is such a waste".

Its all goofy now, and it's another piece of equipment to separate the driver from the experience. It is a technology that is probably marketed to people who probably don't want to shift their own gears and if it becomes very popular, it may kill manual transmissions altogether.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:53 PM
jpt
Burning Brakes

DSG is better than manual transmissions because it shifts faster and better. If you want the best 0-60 times possible that is the way to go.

Yes, it is less fun than a true MT.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Pink as a pistol

Originally Posted by jlukja
wife > 6MT
That is the very same reason I had to pass on the 6MT...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Pro

I was just following up on an MT vs DSG debate over at VW Vortex. The debate fumes me so much that I just had to register and chime in. Here's a clip of what I posted:

Someday they will perfect cars that steer themselves. Is that make it better to drive too??
Go ahead and sit back. Enjoy your coffee and read your paper, and apply your makeup. Or better yet, just take the bus and get outta my way.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro

I was just following up on an MT vs DSG debate over at VW Vortex. The debate fumes me so much that I just had to register and chime in. Here's a clip of what I posted:

Someday they will perfect cars that steer themselves. Is that make it better to drive too??
Go ahead and sit back. Enjoy your coffee and read your paper, and apply your makeup. Or better yet, just take the bus and get outta my way.
he he he, great point.

...back on topic, i think auto > MT, however according to people everywhere, they say the TSX is a hoot to drive in MT, so if i think if you can make this decision, make the MT.

One very important thing to do though, is to get your wife to ask a doctor if her knee situation is bad for a MT car. just for peace of mind, wouldnt want you to buy an Auto and then regret it because she can handle a MT, and at the same time, wouldnt want you to buy a MT and then have your wife in pain every time she drives (the nicest/best) car.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:46 AM
9th Gear

AT or 6 speed

I've had more cars than some of you are old (no kidding...over 30 cars and I'm on motorcycle 27). Anyway about half of them have been 6 speeds. I just got the TSX a few weeks ago and after much debate went with the AT. I drove both back to back and while the 6 speed is more fun I'm just tired of shifting gears. I went to Atlanta this past weekend and was glad to have the AT. If you like to play and your normal drive gives you the chance to do that some then go with the 6 speed. They are just plain more fun to drive. Mine is pretty much just back and forth to work and its all in town so the stick gets old and I'm getting lazy. On the weekends when I am on more fun roads I'm on the bike most of the time. Anyway if you are leaning towards the 6 speed then wait till you can get it.If not you will always onder what if. You can always go back to a AT later if you want to.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by garywayne
I've had more cars than some of you are old (no kidding...over 30 cars and I'm on motorcycle 27). Anyway about half of them have been 6 speeds. I just got the TSX a few weeks ago and after much debate went with the AT. I drove both back to back and while the 6 speed is more fun I'm just tired of shifting gears. I went to Atlanta this past weekend and was glad to have the AT. If you like to play and your normal drive gives you the chance to do that some then go with the 6 speed. They are just plain more fun to drive. Mine is pretty much just back and forth to work and its all in town so the stick gets old and I'm getting lazy. On the weekends when I am on more fun roads I'm on the bike most of the time. Anyway if you are leaning towards the 6 speed then wait till you can get it.If not you will always onder what if. You can always go back to a AT later if you want to.
deff more cars than my age. What makes you change cars so often? or do you test drive cars for a living
Old 03-19-2006, 06:48 PM
9th Gear

Changing cars

I'm just a car nut I guess. I've only bought one set of tires in 30 years (had a GT Mustang that I kept for 2 years..a record for me). I tend to trade every 12-16 months. This is not normal and I hope none of you ever get like that. I've wasted a small fortune on cars. While it was fun doing it I'm getting old enough now to wish that I had at least not have done it so much. I'm just as bad with bikes...maybe even worse as I often have 2 of them at a time.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:02 PM
I can't find my garage

if wise says the AT, then At man, wives are always right~haha, plus..AT isnt THAT bad~