Timing Belt Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Angry Timing Belt Problem

So two weeks ago I dropped a cool $1,000 bucks for a new timing belt, drive belts, water pump, and tranny service. I took it to the dealer for THIS service 'cuz I wanted it done right. Well.......I get it back and the radiator hoses were leaking and there was this odd (and new) growling (best I can describe it as) sound. Even my g/f noticed it. I took it back the following Mon but they "couldn't hear anything". I drove it for another week or so and now it's a little louder and my car "clunks" a couple times when accelerating and turning. It only does this when I lean a little heavy on the gas and only it 1st gear. Dropped the car off this AM and the Stealership and even drove with the mechanic. The call comes today...."We can't find anything."

Any ideas? I thought maybe CV boots/joints.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
I would bet they hear it, but won't acknowledge hoping you'll give up and go away. You will have to get nasty to get some help. Complain to senior management, and if necessary go to Acura for help.

They may have improperly tensioned the timing belt which can cause the growling sound you mention.

good luck
Old 03-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, as stated above, if the tension on the belt is too tight it will growl or almost whine if you will. an extremely tight belt can almost sound like a supercharger whine. Im guessing they dont want to fess up to anything b/c they have to fix it for free.

Having the mechanic ride with you to hear it won't do much good b/c they dont want to work on it again either (they get paid by the job, not the hour..if you've already paid, this is free labor they have to perform). You will have to get pretty aggressive to get anything done. Or take it to another dealer acting as if you want it looked into..have them ride with you, get an estimate and guess written up on paper. Tell them you'll have to think about it and then you have an unbias opinion and statement to take against the people ripping you off.

This is why I personally hate letting outsiders work on my cars..never know if its done right, and then its impossible to make they fix their mistakes. Good luck to you. Hope my suggestion is of some help!!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks for the insight, guys! I took it back, dropped it off all day (they didn't have any loaner cars this time which was a HUGE pain) and the service manager called and said they couldn't find anything...STILL. I picked it up and was going to start calling and working my way up the stealership latter until the problem got resolved. However, to my surprise the problem no longer existed. My guess is after the 3rd time coming in the mechanic knew what the problem was, knew I wasn't going to go away and just fixed it BUT SAID he couldn't find anything just to save face. That's my guess. At any rate, it’s good to have my car working right again. Thanks again for the suggestions!