Radiator Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:49 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Problems

My wife has been having the well known heater problems and the heat was only working when the car was moving. Well, yesterday she called me and said that the car was heating. Well, I asked her where the hand was and told her to turn the fans on. Well, when she got home and the radiator had a huge crack in it under the fill cap that ran the length of th radiator . I tell you people she had been using fluid but only a small amount a week. Moreover, she had a little grease in the fluid prior to the problem and I suspected a head gasket leak. By now I am fed up with car because I got the heat to work normally for a week when I burped the system and the problems returned. Then as I mentioned it got worse yesterday when the radiator cracked and was bone dry and spewing steam. A new one is 200 bucks and now I fear that it may be a definite head gasket problem now due to the over heating.

I don't know guys I fear the worse, but will call the mechanic tomorrow to see what he says because if it is a definite head warpage problem I am just going to shoot the car and sell it as is and let the buyer know what the deal is. We have a line on a nice Land Rover. My wife and I have our first child coming soon and I was so excited that we did not have car payments to worry about. We just paid both Acuras off last spring and her TL started the dying process. Well I will hope for the best and let everyone know if it will be for sale. I am guessing 3,000 to 4,000 as is. Any suggestions. It could be used as parts or the engine replaced.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Maintenance is cheaper than car payments. Don't get frustrated by car problems. It goes with having an older car.

Head gasket. Check oil on dipstick. Any rust, drops of condensed water, or yellow-brown foam is an indicator of coolant entering oil. This can damage the bearings in short order and should be addressed immediately.

If no coolant in the oil, check the coolant for any oil. Usually some oil will get sucked back into the coolant reservoir and you'll have a black residue on the reservoir interior.

Engine missing (usually a steady miss) is another indicator of coolant entering the combustion chamber.

If you have none of the above, a bad cylinder head gasket is unlikely, but not impossible. In any case, cylinder head gasket repair is not the end of the world.

good luck