please help with codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please help with codes

The other day, my car starts to steaming. I get off the freeway and its coming from the overfill resevoir connected to the radiator. So i tighten the cap thinkin thats the problem. The radiator cap was in need of a new one. So i go to the acura dealer and replace it. Now, 2 days later my temperature gauge rises then falls and stays normal for a few minutes. Then back to rising, etc. I pull over and water is not spraying out. When the engine cools off, i have to fill like 1 cup of water, if that.
Also, ive been driving like 1 month with these codes on:
PO700 Transmission control malfunction
PO740 TCC circuit malfunction
and now since the temperature problem i get P0305 Cylinder 5 misfire detected.

What's the cheapest way to fix some, if not all, these problems myself.
thermostat? spark plugs.

Thanks for any help
Old 06-26-2005, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bring it to the dealer and ask them what those codes mean. could be u have a broken valve somewhere from your radiator.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
about the misfire, im guessing you need new spark plugs or new ignition wires? the transmission part...you may need to flush out your transmission fluid and put new fluid in or your transmission is about to die. replacing tranny is a lot of money unless you can find a used one at a junkyard. if no luck, try finding one from an acura vigor and see if that fits.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Hurricane Game

yes, most likely the cyl. 5 misfire will require a new plug or some such. however, it could be many factors unfortunately. you'll have to take it to the dealer. good thing is, though, is that it may be covered by the emissions warranty. pretty much everything that COULD cause a misfire is....if you meet the requirements for year and mileage, etc.

The TCC is important, so get that checked. not sure if you know, and if you do, then you'll know what i mean. heh. basically the torque converter celenoid is what does the upshifting on your car. if it goes bad, then your car will stick in a gear when the tranny gets warm and your car will die when you slow down. basically it's like tryin to stop at a stoplight with a 5 speed car in 5th gear without pushing the clutch in. your car will choke and it sucks. you have to do a dead drop to get it to work, ruining the tranny further. my ... get em checked out.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Advanced

FINALLY some answers. Thanks for the help guys. Im on my way to get spark plug wires and spark plugs. Im going to get a thermostat from the dealer. Then get transmission fluid changes as well as change the oil (its been 3000 miles)
Hopefully this will save me from a thousand dollar quote from the friggin dealership.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:24 PM
Advanced

codes

PO700 TRANSMISSION CONTROL MALFUNCTION
PO740
DISAPPEARED after i replaced my thermostat. Running cool now. But only 2 codes remaining po305 cylinder 5 misfire, and another p300 saying multiple culinders misfiring. HOw'd that pop up now after 1 drive to the acura dealer? Is the solution to replace the spark plugs, the spark plugs and wires, or spark plugs first then if that doesnt fix that i would change the wires?/?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Advanced

oh yeah, my car is shaKY when im at a stop or a light.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Hurricane Game

it's most likely shaky from the misfire. you'll probably need new plugs/wires....check your PM
Old 06-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK... This is where I was (MINUS the misfire). THis problem is common in the 3.2 TL/Legend. You have had some kind of coolant problem causing you to get an air bubble int eh cooling system. The bubble gets stuck near the temp sensor and this is what causes the temp gauge to rise until the water pump is able to pump the fluid through and spread it around again. THis problem can lead to or be caused by a blown head gasket. IF your head gasket is blown and you have allowed the car to overheat to badly you can do permanent damage. This is why I ended up doing the Type II Swap. Basically what I a saying is take it to the dealer. Have them find the coolant problem first. IF you have overheated badlly, the misfire could be related to a damaged plug, or even valve or cylinder. I am not tryin to scare anyone just letting you know that our cars apparently have the same problems as the Legends do with the Blown Head Gaskets and maintaining the cooling system is critical!!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Advanced

codes

changed my thermostat and car is running better. Wierd thing happened after though. codes PO700 AND P070 disappered. Now P0300 (I THINK THATS THE NUMBER) came on. It says multiple cylinders misfiring.
Do i need to change my spark plugs, spark plug wires, or both??
Old 06-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Advanced

codes

Originally Posted by Cornflake
OK... This is where I was (MINUS the misfire). THis problem is common in the 3.2 TL/Legend. You have had some kind of coolant problem causing you to get an air bubble int eh cooling system. The bubble gets stuck near the temp sensor and this is what causes the temp gauge to rise until the water pump is able to pump the fluid through and spread it around again. THis problem can lead to or be caused by a blown head gasket. IF your head gasket is blown and you have allowed the car to overheat to badly you can do permanent damage. This is why I ended up doing the Type II Swap. Basically what I a saying is take it to the dealer. Have them find the coolant problem first. IF you have overheated badlly, the misfire could be related to a damaged plug, or even valve or cylinder. I am not tryin to scare anyone just letting you know that our cars apparently have the same problems as the Legends do with the Blown Head Gaskets and maintaining the cooling system is critical!!
naw its not that bad anymore. I changed the termostst and its running cool and temp gauge is normal again. But i not only have the cylinder 5 misfire code. Now another code saying multiple cylinders misfiring. As far as the P0700 and PO740 (TRANSMISSION CIRCUIT MALFUNCTIONS) they are gone. To fix the shaking and misfiring do you suggest changing the spark plugs? If that doesnt fix it, change the spark plug wires? Or change both?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

That's good to hear. Changing plugs always a good place to start. 3.2 doesn't have any wires, it is coil-on-plug. Could be a bad coil. I would suggest change the plugs, then clear all the codes and see if a code comes back. If it does and it is misfire on certain cylinder, maybe try changing coil pack.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:00 AM
TL no more!

Glad you got your other problems fixed. As far as your misfire codes, change all the spark plugs and wires (you have a '95 2.5, right?) and see if that fixes the problem. If that's not the problem, then replace the distributor.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:17 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

My bad, for some reason had it stuck in my head that he had a 3.2.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Codes

After I replaced the thermostst, i erased the codes to see what would come back. The multiple cylinder misfiring went away. (can you tell me why, since i did not change the spark plugs nor the wires yet??,thanks) One code came back: Cylinder 5 misfiring. Car is still shaky. Man I am happy that the transmission codes went away. Transmission seems to be the most expensive. Question: Is it possible that the ecu gets confused with one problem and ends up sending problems (like the transmission circuit malfunction P0700 AND P0740) that are not really broken.

Sorry about the legnthiness, im just trying to be really detailed as if you were loking at my car and i can pinpoint the problems.
I heard, from autozone, that i can take off the coil and have it checked. They also said i can buy a single ignition wire, but the wire is not universal and can probably be bought only at ACURA DEALER right?

P.S. I have little money, so thats why i am tring as hard as possible to fix one thing at a time, like not changing the coil it wire #5 is the only problem.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Hurricane Game

sometimes codes can be tripped by other things than what it says. for instance, the misfire in the cylinder could actually be caused by the EGR valve. it just works out weird that way sometimes. if you are still getting the cylinder 5 misfire, i'd still change plugs and wires...just to be safe. and make sure you check on the emissions recall thing.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:51 PM
TL no more!

I don't think the recall applies to him because he mentioned from another thread that he has something like 155k miles or something but definitely take it to the dealer and see if they can do it for free as a good will gesture.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by WolfpackBill
I don't think the recall applies to him because he mentioned from another thread that he has something like 155k miles or something but definitely take it to the dealer and see if they can do it for free as a good will gesture.
YEAH, i have 173,ooo miles. I guess i would have to pay. How much do you think it would be at the dealer?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Hurricane Game

not sure....but plugs and wires can be done DIY (do it yourself).
Old 06-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Advanced

codes update

Originally Posted by dubcnea
not sure....but plugs and wires can be done DIY (do it yourself).
YEAH. I changed my spark plugs yesterday and what an improvement. My car starts right up(before the engine would turn for like 2-3 seconds before firing up). I havenot noticed the shaking, which occurs when the idle drops lower than normal. Ill drive aroungd the town today, and report any changes.

Hey dub, anywhere between 30-250 miles, the check engine light should reappear(since i erased them the other day). If it does, i need to change my spark plug wires. Do you still got them??
Old 06-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Advanced

YEAH. I changed my spark plugs yesterday and what an improvement. My car starts right up(before the engine would turn for like 2-3 seconds before firing up). I havenot noticed the shaking, which occurs when the idle drops lower than normal. Ill drive aroungd the town today, and report any changes.

Hey dub, anywhere between 30-250 miles, the check engine light should reappear(since i erased them the other day). If it does, i need to change my spark plug wires. Do you still got them??
Old 07-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Advanced

damn problems are back again

Ive driven about 100 miles and the check engine reappeared. Will report with latest codes. More bad news,ARRGHH. cHANGED THERMOSTST BUT THAT DIDNT FIX THE OVERHEATING. Changed spark plugs, run good for one day, then back to the same old problems. Please help. Also do you think I can get a refund on my thermostat? I bought it from the dealer but it didnt fix the problem of overheating.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Instructor

I have the same symtoms, different dtc's

I just had my tranny anb radiator replaced and I had the same codes PLUS 80, 12 (EGR). Let me know what the fix is.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Advanced

is that your car under your profile? If so, thats sweet, what kind of rims are those?
It sucks that you fixed the rad. and trans. and it didnt fix the problem.
Well i left the new thermostat on. The codes cam on and off even after i changed the spark plugs. Weridly, bout a week after the spark plug change, the codes went away and havent been back since my last post about the codes (7-04-05).
Try changing the spark plugs, make sure your ignition wires are good, mine were loose. Hve you changed the tranny fluid? Thats what somone suggested to me. Let me know how it goes.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Instructor

The rims are 18" Arellis that I got from the fags at les schwabbs. Thank you though, I was happy with the wheels myself.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Instructor

Oh, and all the codes on mine went away exept 80 and 12 (EGR), that' s a relativly easy fix, now I have NO ac, a bad alt. belt, and tons of other probs. FUCC.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Advanced

WHAT year is your acura. How much should i sell my 95 2.5tl with 175,000. Kelley blue book says private party value is a little over $5000