Deck Swapout

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deck Swapout

This is my first TL owned have used different forums for other cars. This forum is as good as volvos brickboard.com which is probably one of the best.

Read all about the chitty CD and deck in the TL and son wants to replace it with his JVC kickazz unit. I am concerned because i thought the security system is integrated with the car deck.

Are there any writeups on how to remove and reinstall a different unit?

Thanks Madness
Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM
60mph Soapbox Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
a simple search for 'radio' yielded some good results . . .

search yielded this

the short answer is yes, there are limited instructions for swapping out a new deck

Our stereos are special. That means we have more than just 1 speaker in each front door and 2 behind the rear seats. We also have 2 midrange speakers (top center where the rear-view mirror mounts) and 2 tweeters (lower corners of the windshield, covered with fabric). When we swap out to a deck that's not stock, we lose integrated functionality of those speakers. Sound quality will suffer; we really do have a decent sound system, the CD player just sucks. But you can follow instructions here to wire in the extra speakers on your own.

If you're replacing the speakers along with the deck and are getting speakers with integrated midranges/tweeters then you should be able to just find the right wiring harness, pop out the factory stereo and put the new one in, paying close attention to the wiring diagrams. you will lose the functionality of the other speakers but you will at least have somewhat recovered their functionality by having midranges and tweeters in your door speakers.

What I'm doing is just opting to leave the stock deck in and get an adapter that will let me use my MP3 player as a line input. Adapter instructions, as well as pictures for taking out your deck unit are here.

if you plan on disconnecting then reconnecting your stock deck from power you will need the code for it. Common places for the code can be found in this thread.

of course, Go90go offers the sensible advice: "Take it to a car stereo shop, or Best Buy, or Circuit City and have them install it for you."

That's about the best I can do for you; if we knew what exact deck you were going to replace it with someone else might be able to give you more specific advice (because most decks are different)

To answer your other, implied question, no. The security system is not integrated with the car deck. the car deck runs its own anti-theft system, which is why you have to enter a code for it if you disconnect it from power. You can replace the deck with a third party deck and not worry about your security system not working.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:18 AM
60mph Soapbox Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330145948108

this is a mounting kit which includes a wiring harness. You should get the kit if the JVC you're installing is single-DIN (our radios are double-DIN; double-height)