Common First Gen TL Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.D4 light out.
2.some kind of exhaust leak or something, car is raspy and louder than it should be.
3.cd player doesnt work.
4.windows slower than my uncle's 1971 MB 280s.
5.trans shifts rough.
6.takes a couple seconds to turn over
Old 04-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

hey hans, sorry to hear about your problems with the car but honestly, these cars are solid, for the most part. every once in awhile we'll get people on here with problems that are out of the ordinary but most everyone gets by with just minor problems. my only thought is that your previous owner didn't take very good care of it
Old 04-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Trans is iffy cause if you fill it with the right stuff youll be fine, D4 light is normal the one on my old first gen came back on at around 152k miles and it had been out for some time. Cd player is norm and so are the windows. I don't know how many seconds is a few to you but you may need to clean the starter contacts. If you have under 150k and its a 96 or 97 take the car to acura and tell them they should fix it for free under the extended emssions warranty agreement they had with the epa, your loud noise is probally a cracked manifold.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Instructor

They will fix it by putting a new one on btw.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

will they fix the manifold too? that affects emissions also.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

I thought I would add to the list too

1) slow windows, up and down
2) Windows are really loud on up and down
3) stock cd player skipping w/ cds-replaced with eclipse CD 4000
4) D4 Light
5) air coming from DS window seal
6) DS window rattles when you shut the door and sometimes when im driving and its down
7) W/E that skipping problem we were talking about is
8) Water coming into car under dash
9) brake light is on ALL the time
10) water behind the tail lights

and I think thats about it

Ive replaced...muffler, rear breaks and rotors, new tires, and the CD player...pretty good I guess.. I also noticed a little spot of rust right by the PS back wheel well... **tear** but that will be taken care of when I get it repainted.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Instructor

- If you pull up too hard on the drivers power window switch it won't go up. Release a little pressure on it and it works fine...

- Cigarette lighter never worked from the day I bought the car. 6 years later I ripped the console out and found it had never been plugged in ahahahahaaaaa!!!!

- CD player only plays 10% of my burned CDs. To solve the problem I bought a car adapter kit for my Ipod Nano...

- Condensation buildup inside the taillights

In other words, a few minor problems, but it's been a great car for me. Yeah a few other things have died, but they were all expected (starter motor etc.)

All in all this is the second best car I've ever owned. Best one was my 90 Integra.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Instructor

By the way, anyone out there know if the emissions warranty applies to cars in Canada?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Emissions: EPA forces Honda to tuneup every 4 years for free

I heard many years ago about an agreement between EPA and Honda/Acura to do free tune ups and cat converter every four years for free. I heard it didn't apply to Canada but never looked into it and don't know for sure.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Intermediate

Crankshaft pulley

Anyone knows where I can get a crankshaft pulley from for 1995 Honda Saber 2.5L? or provide me with the part number?

Thanks
G
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Intermediate

Here are mines:

1) CV joint (left side, cost about $140.00 to fix)

2) Radiator *top-hat* exploded (approx. $340.00 to replace top-hat)

3) Squeeky driver and passenger windows, sounds like metal scraping glass. (got some *white* lube to correct that, approx. $3.00)

4) CD player rarely plays CD's. Bought an iPod and the little tape adapter to play the iPod using the factory CD/Tape player.

5) Oil leakes (Engine gasket, and valve gasket)

6) AC smells like stale gas, and works sporatically.

7) Windsheild water spout only works on driver side (most important side I guess)

8) Water in trunk

9) Water leaking from ceiling onto back row seat

10) TCS light flashes sometimes when you begin to accelerate from rest position, and car feels like it wants to shut off. Any idea what can cause that?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sask32TL
- If you pull up too hard on the drivers power window switch it won't go up. Release a little pressure on it and it works fine...

- Cigarette lighter never worked from the day I bought the car. 6 years later I ripped the console out and found it had never been plugged in ahahahahaaaaa!!!!

- CD player only plays 10% of my burned CDs. To solve the problem I bought a car adapter kit for my Ipod Nano...

- Condensation buildup inside the taillights

In other words, a few minor problems, but it's been a great car for me. Yeah a few other things have died, but they were all expected (starter motor etc.)

All in all this is the second best car I've ever owned. Best one was my 90 Integra.
Update: I finally got the iPod Nano plugged in using a car adapter. Blew the fuse that controls the interior lights, radio, cigarette lighter. Could this be why the lighter was unplugged when I bought the car? Hmmmm.....

- Cruise control only works every couple of days. replaced the brake switch, same result.

- Just replaced the timing belt and AC belt.

- Blower motor is gonna die anytime now. Sounds like someone dropped a screwdriver into the fan blades.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Acura Vet

Originally Posted by Sask32TL
Update: I finally got the iPod Nano plugged in using a car adapter. Blew the fuse that controls the interior lights, radio, cigarette lighter. Could this be why the lighter was unplugged when I bought the car? Hmmmm.....

- Cruise control only works every couple of days. replaced the brake switch, same result.

- Just replaced the timing belt and AC belt.

- Blower motor is gonna die anytime now. Sounds like someone dropped a screwdriver into the fan blades.
Man, do I miss this car! Especially when I was sitting and waiting on the tranny to be replaced in my 2nd gen. Oh well!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM
6th Gear

Hey 2000 Acura TL 3.2L

My Cruise control is out of order. But the light on the dash seems to think everything is just fine. I cheked fuses and they are fine. Now What to do???
Matt03rsx
dbbs4@hotmail.com
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt03rsx
My Cruise control is out of order. But the light on the dash seems to think everything is just fine. I cheked fuses and they are fine. Now What to do???
Matt03rsx
dbbs4@hotmail.com

When you say the light on the dash are you talking about the light inside the speedometer, or the light on the master switch next to the steering wheel?

If it's the one in the speedometer, good luck. I'm guessing that the speedo light wouldn't work if the control unit or AT sensor were dead. Might be the actuator?

If it's the master cruise switch light, that means nothing. All that tells you is that the master switch is turned on.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:49 PM
6th Gear

96 2.5 w/175000

i have the slow windows too. hasnt scratched my tint too bad though. My headlight is foggy and there is a high pitched whining noise under the hood that i cant figure out.
Any one know where i could get a headlight or what that noise is?? also have a rough tranny in 1-2 but i might try the flush now.....i heard it was bad for your car to get the flush tho...any info?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atx_ace
96 2.5 w/175000

there is a high pitched whining noise under the hood that i cant figure out.
Sometimes that's from the timimg belt being adjusted too tight. I don't think it really hurts anything, it's just annoying.

My TL got rear ended today by a Miisubishi Eclipse, and the slant nose went totally under the rear end, lifted it up, and then pushed my TL into the truck in front. With the front AND rear creamed, I'm afraid it's history.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:19 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Damn, m8. Glad that you're ok!

^^ Don't flush, as it may dislodge particles that have built up over the years, causing more harm than good.

~Cheers~
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced

D4 light burned out
Starter replaced twice (in 240k miles)
Slow windows
Two O2 sensors failed
One wheel speed sensor failed
Tranny total failure at 150k miles
Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dan jacobsen
Starter replaced twice (in 240k miles)

Two O2 sensors failed

Tranny total failure at 150k miles
The above three I would not characterize as abnormal at all.

Heck, many cars go through:

- a starter every 90K
- Oxygen Sensor replacement at 60 - 100K as recommended maintenance...
- Transmission - Some are lucky to get 80K of of the first one.

But then again, these are Honda/Acuras...
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM
6th Gear

This site kicks ass! very informative and you guys have been very helpful to me. thanks alot. This is my second acura. the first was a 97 cl. Im def a TL guy. this one is older and has a ton of miles but im gonna learn how to work on it myself ( i only have experience working with american made 4x4s but i think im up for the challenge) so hopefully the repair costs wont be too high and i will be able to make a contribution to the site in some way. Thanks again
Old 07-26-2007, 11:15 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hrtrworms
Sometimes that's from the timimg belt being adjusted too tight. I don't think it really hurts anything, it's just annoying.

My TL got rear ended today by a Miisubishi Eclipse, and the slant nose went totally under the rear end, lifted it up, and then pushed my TL into the truck in front. With the front AND rear creamed, I'm afraid it's history.
Man that sux. im sorry to hear about your car. are you gonna get another tl?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:58 PM
A generally loveable guy

interesting how all our cars have almost all the same problems...

1) slow windows, up and down... sped up a little when i took the door apart and oiled the tracks

2) Windows are really loud on up and down

3) stock cd player skipping w/ cds-replaced with pioneer deh something or other

4) D4 Light

5) air coming from DS window seal

6) DS window rattles when you shut the door and sometimes when im driving and its down

7) water behind the tail lights... solved itself somehow

8) busted rear left window, screw tightened so tight that i can't take the door apart and fix it

9) tint getting torn apart on rear left window

10) water leaks into trunk

and this really isnt a problem but... does anyone else notice a wierd vibration right after you start the car that lasts about 3 seconds? it happened with my legend too
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by daemonicus
hey hans, sorry to hear about your problems with the car but honestly, these cars are solid, for the most part. every once in awhile we'll get people on here with problems that are out of the ordinary but most everyone gets by with just minor problems. my only thought is that your previous owner didn't take very good care of it
I completely agree. You have to remember to filter what you read on the internet. If someone has a totally reliable car they DON'T spend a lot of time talking about it on the net. On the other hand if they're having problems, or if they're one of the poor bastards who bought a lemon (and every manufacturer produces a few lemons) they spend a LOT of time complaining about it on the net.

Same goes for user reviews. Those who love their cars are out driving them, not sitting at their desk talking about it. Those who hate their cars don't want to drive them, therefore they have all this extra free time to whine about their situation in forums.

I'd be willing to bet that for every negative post you see there are a few hundred happy owners...
Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Devastation
a wierd vibration right after you start the car that lasts about 3 seconds? it happened with my legend too
Could be ABS modulator?

~Cheers~
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 PM
A generally loveable guy

Originally Posted by Go90go
Could be ABS modulator?

~Cheers~
o yah? is it bad if it lasts about 20 seconds occasionally?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 PM
6th Gear

For all that have to window problems

For the loud noise when u put the window up just take the door panel off and spray the tracks and other moving parts of the window with some wd-40 or some other kind of lubercant. For the straching you will have to clean the seal that the window goes up and down between.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Go90go
Could be ABS modulator?

~Cheers~
Mine has started a rough idle for about 20 seconds on startup. My thought was IAC getting a little dirty.

ABS Modulator - common problem? Known source for this sympotom? What happens to it? Is it rapairable on the bench? (I often disassemble parts to find root cause and repair...)
Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Don't use wd-40 for power windows

Don't use wd-40 for greasing up the power window hardware inside the door. It will dry out and cause you more problems. There is detailed set of instructions with pics on this site. I don't have the url but you can search for it.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:55 AM
2nd Gear

How Do You Go About Disabelling The Abs On A 96 3.2 .just Want To Run On Regular Brakes
Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by west
How Do You Go About Disabelling The Abs On A 96 3.2 .just Want To Run On Regular Brakes
Pull the ABS fuse or relay. I think there is an underhood fuse/relay box for the ABS. Note, you will get the ABS light on immediately.

I can't imagine why you would want to turn off ABS. It really helps when you have a panic stop to avoid wheel lockup.

good luck
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

This is a great site.
I started having problems starting my car recently, replaced the battery, problems remained. I found this site and saw the common problems with the starter. Replaced the starter, it's all good!

1998-- 3.2-- 130,000 miles

Starter, obviously (cost $800 at the dealer btw, but at least half was labor)
Windows roll slow
Windows squeak, seems worse during or after being in the rain
Condensation inside the driver's headlight
Trunk leaks sometimes (but I thought it was due to the Sirius antenna)
Never had the CD problems, but I replaced that unit around 100,000 miles
Driver's heated seat seems a bit weak.
I do get that vibration for a couple seconds (like Devastation mentioned), but it's not after I start the car, it's after I start to move. I always thought it was related to the ABS somehow.

I love this car, I will probably hold onto it for a while. It's pretty powerful for its size, and the new models really seem small.

Does anyone use regular unleaded? I have used premium as per the owner's manual ever since I bought it, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:11 PM
WDP- lovin' every minute!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch........

Originally Posted by baiulian
This is a great site.
I started having problems starting my car recently, replaced the battery, problems remained. I found this site and saw the common problems with the starter. Replaced the starter, it's all good!

Starter, obviously (cost $800 at the dealer btw, but at least half was labor)
Windows roll slow
Windows squeak, seems worse during or after being in the rain
Condensation inside the driver's headlight
Trunk leaks sometimes (but I thought it was due to the Sirius antenna)
Never had the CD problems, but I replaced that unit around 100,000 miles
I do get that vibration for a couple seconds (like Devastation mentioned), but it's not after I start the car, it's after I start to move. I always thought it was related to the ABS somehow.

I love this car, I will probably hold onto it for a while. It's pretty powerful for its size, and the new models really seem small.

Does anyone use regular unleaded? I have used premium as per the owner's manual ever since I bought it, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary.

Thats an UNGODLY amount of money to pay for the starter!! i just had that replaced about a week ago... 70 paid to the mechanic for labor and 120 for the refurbished starter from autozone with a lifetime warranty..... well at least you have the peace of mind that everything was done correctly.... i just did it b/c im selling it.... i just scooped up an 04' with 54,000 miles and let me tell you am i IMPRESSED... sorry off topic..... squeaky/slow/scratched windows are also an issue for me.... other than the starter problem it has been rock solid! take care folks!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by baiulian

Mine is a 97 3.2 with 130K miles - I use Regular all the time. No problems. There may be a slight decrease in performance but the OBD II System should take care of any pinging that may occur due to the lower octane. Fuel mileage fine.

Regarding the heated seat - you are actually lucky that it actually works after 130K. On many cars (my experience with Land Rover, Ford, Lincoln (hmm... all FORDS...) are that the heater wire breaks right where you get in and out of the car, or where your rear end always resides - resulting in no heated seat at all. Have fixed a few of them.

My navigator has cooled seats as well - pretty nice.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Cruisin'

1996 TL with 88,000miles
slow and squeaking windows,
D4 light burned out
water in trunk and condensation in rear headlight
CD player problems (had to replace it)
cylinder rings bad (but I think the previous owner must have mistreated the engine)
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
98 3.2 with 76K Miles
I have 2 Door handles broken!!!!!
Water inside the cabin when raining cats and dogs!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Cruisin'

I forgot to add that I have been told that my motor mounts were bad and that causes a crack in my exhaust manifold.
The estimate I got on replacing the mounts was outrageous.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Cruisin'

yeah i work at a dealership and the ex manifold is insane with the labor let alone by itself
Old 12-29-2007, 02:23 PM
i eat ricers

i just need to flush the engine and tranny, replace a few belts and the right rear bearing and hub assembly and mine will be fine. i can deal with slow windows and the wear on the outside of them, no problems from the D4 light. do have water in the trunk which worries me since ive got my amp 1300 WATT 2 channel output sitting in there. testament to the durability of acura TL's. ive put over a 1000 miles on a bad bearing (lol) but the tranny flush should fix the slipping and rough shifts? i just hit 180086 miles this morning. only mods are JDM exaust. anyone know if the new RDX wheels will fit my 96 3.2TL?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Cruisin'

slow driver side window
scratched driver and passenger windows
all windows squeek
d4 light dont work
windshield wipes slam on the way down
both rear wheel wells have a slight leak

thats all i can think of
not bad for 98 3.2 with just about all origional parts also almost 200,000miles on it

Quick Reply: Common First Gen TL Problems