Car shuts off while driving. Already changed ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM
PSC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car shuts off while driving. Already changed ignition switch

Hi I have what I thought was a faulty ignition switch.
Sometimes while driving the car would suddenly shut off, the CEL, ABS and door open dash lights would come on and I would put it in neutral and turn the key and it would start right back up.
Then yesterday it shut off, this time with no dash lights and I could not restart it right away. I pulled over and kept trying for about 5 minutes, then it started up again like normal. It did the same thing twice more before I got home.

So I checked on here, saw that ppl were saying ignition switch, and so I bought one from Advanced Auto for $55. This morning I installed the new one easily.
Went for a drive, while pulling away from a light, it shut off again, no dash lights.
I waited a few minutes, trying intermittently and eventually it started and I drove home.

My mechanic was sure from the symptoms I gave over the phone that it was the ignition switch. Could it be that the replacement part is faulty?
I am going to return the one I have and get the switch from the dealer. That will take another 2 days.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:16 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which replacement part brand did you buy?
Is it part number 35130-S84-305? I read somewhere that this should be the replacement part for the faulty switch on the OEM
Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Explain a little more in detail I'm curious. It could be a few other things like main relay, fuel pump, etc. just some ideas but what else do you notice when it shuts off, like is car with low fuel (quarter tank or so)? Does the car always restart? Does it act as if its starving for fuel? Do you hear a loud humming from the back seat area? Switch isn't always the problem mine has almost 200k miles and no bad ignition switch yet.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 PM
PSC
Advanced

I bought this part BWD Ignition Starter Switch from Advance Auto.

I have half a tank of gas.
A few days ago when the problem first came up, it would restart right away once I put it in neutral and turned the key, but tonight it took around an hour before it restarted, and even then only for a few minutes before it shut off again. I ended up pushing my car 2 blocks til I got home.

I also have a bad leak out of my oil pressure switch. Could this cause this kind of problem? The oil pressure switch is close to the starter, but I don't know if oil is actually getting on the starter.
I am going to change that tomorrow since it needs to be changed anyway.

I think an important symptom here is that when it happens, all of the dash lights are off.
Usually if the key is in the "on" position several lights on the dash should come on.
Based on this my mechanic said it should be the ignition switch but like I said, changing that didn't help.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Radical Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I bet its the oil pressure switch. If its leaking, its not reading as much pressure as it shhould. I think our cars shut off if the oil pressure is low. Like a safety feature.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
PSC
Advanced

Thanks 9632tl, I didn't know that cars did that. I'll definitely change it and see.
Looks like an easy job. Anything I should know?
Thanks for the responses, anyone else please feel free to chime in.

Edit:
I was just thinking, my oil light does not come on.
Shouldn't it come on if oil pressure is low?
Also would this cause me to have no dash lights while I'm having the shutoff issue?

Last edited by PSC; 10-27-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Not for sure on this but those are symptoms of a faulty ignition module where it fails to restart but in a few hours it should restart and then shut off again. The oil pressure switch is also a possibility but I personally haven't dealt with that so I don't know.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:26 AM
PSC
Advanced

Quoting TexasHonda from another thread.
Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Nice post and pics. Too bad your problem remains. What are symptoms?

When ignition switch fails, you may notice the Check Engine and Alt lights don't come on w/ keyswitch in On position. Car may fail to start or may stop while driving.

One point that may affect others. The keyswitch retaining screws may be security bolts w/ round, smooth heads to prevent easy access to the switch by car thief. These are easily removed however w/ a small sharp punch or cold chisel applied edgeways to loosen the bolt. They are not tight and easily turn w/ fingers once loosened.

good luck
From my symptoms it should be a slam dunk case of the switch being bad.
I think I'll have to try the dealer's switch instead of the one I got from Advance Auto.
I'll also replace the oil pressure switch today, although that should not affect my dash lights being off when the key is in the ON position.
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 AM
PSC
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUECEON9ER
Not for sure on this but those are symptoms of a faulty ignition module where it fails to restart but in a few hours it should restart and then shut off again. The oil pressure switch is also a possibility but I personally haven't dealt with that so I don't know.
Is the ignition module the same as the ignition switch?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
PSC
Advanced

Sorry I see that the module and switch are different parts.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

From what I see, you changed the electrical part of the switch.
It looks like the mechanical part of the switch is bad. It's about $260+ at the dealer.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 AM
PSC
Advanced

Originally Posted by meazz1
From what I see, you changed the electrical part of the switch.
It looks like the mechanical part of the switch is bad. It's about $260+ at the dealer.
How would I dagnose the mechanical part of the switch?

Yesterday I installed the new switch without mounting it on the steering column, so that the switch is hanging down by it's cable.
To start I turned the key to the 1 position to disable the steering lock, then used a flathead on the switch itself to start and shut off. I'm thinking that this would eliminate the mechanical part of the switch as the problem.
Am I right?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Is this a 3.2 or 2.5TL? You should put this info in your signature line.

Mechanical part of switch would not affect starting/running. It is only a mechanical lock actuated by key to engage the elecrical ignition switch and start the car. If the key were a security key, it might disable starting, but I don't see that happening while you're moving.

Make sure the connector is mating correctly w/ ignition switch and no damaged pins.

No CEL or Alt light w/ no-start suggests loss of primary igntion power to the system.

good luck
Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
PSC
Advanced

I have a 1997 2.5. I just added that to my signature but It's not showing up as yet.

Edit: Oh there it is.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
PSC
Advanced

I returned the Advance Auto switch and ordered one from Acura. I should get it tomorrow.
I really hope that fixes it. I had to rent a car today to get my family around.
Sucks since I'm unemployed.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
PSC
Advanced

Update: I put in the switch that I got from the dealer, but it doesn't work.
At present the car does not start at all with either my old or my new switch.
It's like the ON position is not recognized at all. I cannot operate the windows. Good thing they were up the last time I stalled.
Thanks for the input everyone but this one will have to be solved by my mechanic.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Is starter making any noise or turning engine over at all? Are Alt and Check Engine Lights coming On when keyswitch is turned to On?

W/ a new keyswitch assy and no starting, this sounds like connector or wiring damage. You will need to trace circuits for an open somewhere.

good luck
Old 11-01-2010, 03:00 PM
PSC
Advanced

No starter noise, no engine turning at all. No Dash warning lights (CEL, Battery etc.) when the key is turned to on.
Yes I was thinking that it might be some wiring issue, but I don't have experience troubleshooting electrical at all.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
PSC
Advanced

Got the car back today. The alarm on my car was malfunctioning, and it controls the ignition switch. My mechanic just removed the alarm system and all is well.
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
That explains it! What are you going to do with the alarm? Not have it?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
PSC
Advanced

A friend said he has a spare system after he upgraded. Not sure what kind it is but I'll use that.