Air Conditioning stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Air Conditioning stopped working

My A/C just stopped working. I got in my car and it started blowing warm air into the car. I tried to figure out what the prob was while driving, but since I couldn't I turned it off. After pulling over I checked under the hood and did not see anything unusual. However, I noticed that while the two fans were running (for ~20 sec) the air conditioner started working, and when they shut off it started to blow warm air again. Everything was fine yesterday, and the air used to come out ice cold. I did not do anything unusual, and as I said it was working fine yesterday.

Any of you guys experienced anything similar?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Pro

More good news! I came back roughly an hour ago, and just now my mom came home and said that my car is on. I obviously figured that my fans are still running. So I go out and one of them is going full swing. Funny thing is that it's not even hot here and even when it's really hot it doesn't run for more than 10 min. Something is really messed up, does anyone have any idea of what to do because my battery is going to be drained if this fan runs for much longer.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Pro

Anyone?

I think there is a problem with a temperature sensor, but I've no idea where it is located or how hard/expensive it is to change it. I'd REALLY appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I pulled the condenser fan fuse yesterday after the fan didn't shut off after one hour in relatively cool weather. Today I put it back and the fan didn't restart. However after I got back home it was running non stop so I pulled it out once again. Now should I keep pulling and putting it back all the time or can I just leave the condenser fan off since I cannot use the A/C because it does not even work?
Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Is this a 2.5 or 3.2TL?

There is a cooling fans thermoswitch on the upper radiator hose engine side hose outlet(at least on 2.5TL) that enables engine-off cooling fans running when closed by high shutdown temps. Check to see if uplugging this switch disables engine-off fan from running. If yes, you need a new thermoswitch. If this doesn't stop the fan from running, the fan control module may be faulty.

good luck
Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Pro

It's a 3.2. I'll try to find the thermoswitch and do what you said.

I also noticed an interesting thing. While the car is running without A/C the condenser fan is running as well, however; when I pull the condenser fan fuse out the other fan turns on. So it's made that one fan would run either way, which I thought is really smart. If I cannot get this problem solved easily I will probably leave the condenser fan off throughout winter since one fan will work either way. When spring comes around I will fix it.

Thanks TexasHonda, I'll try your advice and see what's what.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Pro

OK this is insane, now the other fan stays on as well. I came back an hour ago and noticed that the can was running which is weird since it's cold here. I come out an hour later and its still running. What the hell is wrong with my car - first the ac stops working then the condenser fan runs without stopping in cold weather and now the same shit is happening with the other fan. WTF?!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Drifting

If Fan Control setup is same on 3.2 and 2.5 TLs (pretty sure they are), then it is possible that fan control module may activate alternate fan if one fan shows open. Cause for fan running over 15 minutes is faulty thermoswitch B. Did you ever check by removing connector? If this stops fan, you know thermoswitch B is cause for long, engine off running.

If thermoswitch B is not the cause, the faulty fan control module is likely.

good luck
Old 11-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Pro

Thanks for a reply TexasHonda. I tried to locate the thermoswitch but did not find it (I'm a noob). I'll try to look for it tomorrow since it's already dark up here. If not I'll go see my mechanic next week and tell him about the info that you provided me which hopefully will lead to the resolution of this very annoying problem.

Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Drifting

You can find thermoswitch B easily by tracing upper radiator hose from radiator to engine. At the hose/engine fitting, there is a metal housing. Thermoswitch B is plugged into this housing. Release connector and see if engine off fan running stops.

PM your email address and I'll forward a pdf picture of location.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-15-2009 at 01:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mickytone (07-07-2012)
Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Pro

So the fan problem is kind of solved. It was not the thermoswitch in the end. It's actually the relays for the fans. If you tap on them the fans turn on or off. So for now they are not staying on, but once they start doing that again I'll just change the relays.
The aircon problem seems to be a simple coincidence that it stopped working the same day as the fan started messing up.
The following users liked this post:
mickytone (07-07-2012)