1996 TL Cold Start Problems...weird

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006 | 11:22 AM
1st Gear

1996 TL Cold Start Problems...weird

Hi Guys i'm new here and could use some help with a problem im experiencing with my 1996 2.5 Tl with 100k miles.

First symptom...My CEL light came on a few weeks ago but the car has been driving just fine, so i thought it was probably a bad o2 sensor...I had it happen before and it exhibited no ill effects...so i presumed the same...

Second Symptom... Just last Manday it got mighty cold outside and the car had trouble turning over, must have been cranking it for a good minute to minute and a half...finally started, stalled out, then started again and was fine for days...

Third Symptom..., Firday, was once again cold and damp outside, this time the car would not start at all, i cranked it for a good 4-5 minutes intermittently and it would sputter like it was going to start but it wouldnt...

Fourth Symptom....Friday afternoon, determined to find the problem, i came home from work and turned the key and it started in .000001 seconds, i mean instantly, like nothing was wrong...i drove it all weekend with no problems (however i never got up early to start it...im seeing a trend evolving)

Fifth and last thing...same thing this am as last friday...would not start...and im sure the same thing will happen as last week when i get home

Summary of problems and things ive tried already...

CEL on..i know i need to get it hooked up to diagnostic...
wont start in cold
will start any other time
ive noticed this problem more with low fuel
tried starting in neutral..doesnt work
tried letting fuel pump prime in II key position...

So does anyone have a clue what could be causing this? I see alot of suggestions toward this problem (starter, coil, tune up) when its recurring without any type of association to the weather, which mine does have...so i wanted to get some opinions since this cold weather does seem to be the primary problem.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2006 | 12:15 PM
Instructor

Im thinking maybe moisture in youre fuel.
If you run with low fuel(less than 1/4 tank in winter ) temp variations outside will cause condensation ,Throw in some gas line anti freeze.
if it turns over at normal speed then its not the starter. its most likely fuel or Ignition probs.

Try new plugs and that gas line anti freeze.
Old 01-03-2006 | 03:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AFTERMATHTL
Hi Guys i'm new here and could use some help with a problem im experiencing with my 1996 2.5 Tl with 100k miles.

First symptom...My CEL light came on a few weeks ago but the car has been driving just fine, so i thought it was probably a bad o2 sensor...I had it happen before and it exhibited no ill effects...so i presumed the same...

Second Symptom... Just last Manday it got mighty cold outside and the car had trouble turning over, must have been cranking it for a good minute to minute and a half...finally started, stalled out, then started again and was fine for days...

Third Symptom..., Firday, was once again cold and damp outside, this time the car would not start at all, i cranked it for a good 4-5 minutes intermittently and it would sputter like it was going to start but it wouldnt...

Fourth Symptom....Friday afternoon, determined to find the problem, i came home from work and turned the key and it started in .000001 seconds, i mean instantly, like nothing was wrong...i drove it all weekend with no problems (however i never got up early to start it...im seeing a trend evolving)

Fifth and last thing...same thing this am as last friday...would not start...and im sure the same thing will happen as last week when i get home

Summary of problems and things ive tried already...

CEL on..i know i need to get it hooked up to diagnostic...
wont start in cold
will start any other time
ive noticed this problem more with low fuel
tried starting in neutral..doesnt work
tried letting fuel pump prime in II key position...

So does anyone have a clue what could be causing this? I see alot of suggestions toward this problem (starter, coil, tune up) when its recurring without any type of association to the weather, which mine does have...so i wanted to get some opinions since this cold weather does seem to be the primary problem.

Thanks!
Short the Service Check Connector under the glove box. A blue 2-wire conector plugged into a plastic holder. Install bare wire across the socket pins, turn ignition to ON, and watch CEL to flash codes. Long flash is tens digit and short flash is units digit. Multiple codes are separated by a long OFF pause in CEL. Codes will be repeated after all separate codes are flashed.

Post code/s for help.

good luck