Custom cam 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom cam 2.5

Ok guys I am bored with the same old mods. does any one have any thoughts on getting a custom cam ground? I was thinking about sending a stock cam to a grinder and seeing what he could produce. I need more knowledge on this subject though. would it produce worthwhile gains (worth the cost I mean?) Is the cam easily accessabile? It is SOHC right? The service manual does not have much to say about replacing the cam. Is it similar to other OHC engines?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Web Cams. We have regrind specs available for the 3.2s. If you can have them measure the 2.5 cam profile, we can figure something out for upgrading it, .

~Cheers~
Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced

I was gonna try and get a stock cam or some kinda clone and send it to a custom cam grinder. Web cams you say? I guess I should think about beefing up that valve train as well huh? If this all cost 2 grand or less it may be worth it. In the process I would basically be rebuilding the top end. I was wondering what kind of realistic HP gains I could get from a cam upgrade. In the american v8's i've built up you can get massive gains but I am just unsure about the gain to cost ratio with a small dispalcement engine.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 AM
大日本帝国

If you get them hard-welded, then ground, probably about $500 to $ 1000, IIRC. You only need to do one per motor, so safe to assume about half. 3.2 guys have seen gains of about 20 HP depending on profile, other mod and tuning dependent.

~Cheers~
Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess that nothing seriously will change with new cam, untill you make some mod's with ECU. But it's not simple, our ECU P1R is not "flashible", but vigor's PV0 does, so, first of all - changing ECU to vig's, finding programmer and so on. I not succsesfully finished it yet, but close enough.

P.S. There can be somу negative effects of installing non-standart cam like loosing normal idles, so - think before.

PPS Dreaming about DOHC, reserching B20 engine - may be smth will fit. Crazy dreams.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 AM
大日本帝国

A milder regrind wouldn't kill the idle, and even with minor lobing, a simple piggyback can take care of it. Swapping to a Vigor ECU is possible if you either rewire the existing harness or build your own adapter out of half a Vigor harness and the connectors from your old ECU, effectively converting it to OBDI. A B20 swap is pointless and a waste of money because of several things:

1) It's a 4-cylinder.
2) It's half a litre smaller.
3) It's mounted transversely.

You'd be better of dreaming about a turbo setup which IS possible, as evidenced by a member here doing it. That would be much more cost effective than putting in a B20 of all the B-series' available.

~Cheers~
Old 03-13-2008, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Ecu

I have thought about the ECU and thought that could come with a 5 speed swap. I probably need a new ECU anyhow as my car has 3 monitors that say not-ready for over 10k miles now. WTF?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Instructor

A milder regrind wouldn't kill the idle, and even with minor lobing, a simple piggyback can take care of it. Swapping to a Vigor ECU is possible if you either rewire the existing harness or build your own adapter out of half a Vigor harness and the connectors from your old ECU, effectively converting it to OBDI. A B20 swap is pointless and a waste of money because of several things:

1) It's a 4-cylinder.
2) It's half a litre smaller.
3) It's mounted transversely.

You'd be better of dreaming about a turbo setup which IS possible, as evidenced by a member here doing it. That would be much more cost effective than putting in a B20 of all the B-series' available.
I know. I've started engine on Vig's ECU, but smth wrong with ignition angle and CE is running, digging forward
About B20 components - Im not talking about sawp - just using it like basis. Crazy dreams, I agree.
Turbo - very attractive, but quite expencive.

Originally Posted by jcooper97TL
I have thought about the ECU and thought that could come with a 5 speed swap.
Not nesessary if we talking about 5MT. I did this last year, just removed two lamps "P" and "D4" from instrument panel, make some cosmetical changes in changing lever aria. Most difficult - is to choose clutch pedal's right position.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Is your accelleration fast with the 5MT or what?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Instructor

Yes it's faster. 5MT brought to me about 2-3 frames in quater compearing with AT. But I had 2-3 try's only. Wating for summer, clear roads, new clutch, new fuel pump, and slicks.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Advanced

could you explain? What is 2-3 frames. Do you have a cam in your g25a4? What other mods to you have InspiredRUS?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Body, frame, case - I don't know what is closer explain a length of a car. So, with 5MT I come to finish when than other car with G25A and 4AT is 2-3 lengths (8-15 meters) behind me.

cam=camshaf or what? Do you mean custom camshaft? No I havn't. I don't think its possible to make it better in non-factory conditions.

Vigs 5MT, RSR suspension (coilovers, power adjustment) Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit, custom exhaust, noname bodykit, mugen's radiators grill, "eyelashes", 17" AVS model 6 weels. Planing to install vigs ECU, custom intake, xenon in lens optics. In far-reaching designs - LSD, nitro, maybe turbo.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Advanced

good explanation on the frames.

I thought a custom cam could help modify the point at which the secondary and tertiary thorttle butterflies open (or reach that point very quickly)

I am glad to see that someone is taking the 2.5 seriously. I was also thinking of doing the 5MT from the vigor. I have found those things cheap!

A note, you should definatley think about upgrading your front axels as those were not made for more than 225 HP. (i have heard)
Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 AM
Instructor

good explanation on the frames.

I thought a custom cam could help modify the point at which the secondary and tertiary thorttle butterflies open (or reach that point very quickly)

I am glad to see that someone is taking the 2.5 seriously. I was also thinking of doing the 5MT from the vigor. I have found those things cheap!

A note, you should definatley think about upgrading your front axels as those were not made for more than 225 HP. (i have heard)
Well, good luck with cam

Don't forget, that besides vigs 5MT you'll need some more: clutch kit (clutch "basket", disk, release bearing,), master and work clutch cylinders, clutch tank, tubes, link with shift lever, most simple way to get it all together is to find wrecking vigor. Also you need some works with electrical part and some mech works with installing shift lever.

Seriosly axels - one of impotent things that keeping me off from nitro. Even now with rare active starts I change internal part every summer, sometimes twise. So differential not so strong too - change it once already. As for now I find some chip wariant - URAWA axels that costs abot $50 per pair, but I think that if I add some more power like 30-50 bhp even new axels will break at the first start. Well, whating for 3,5L legends transmition parts - may be find smth.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:38 AM
大日本帝国

No difference in making the manifold baffles open earlier, stay open, or open in a different order. It's been dyno-tested and proven. The thing a cam would do is hold the valves open for a longer period of time or open more, allowing more air to be crammed into the combustion chambers.

~Cheers~
Old 03-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Advanced

I know that, we discussed it.

What I meant was that I could get it to rev higher faster. That way I would be at the priemum torqure band fatser and the maximum HP faster. 2.5ers know that the car can pull, you just have to get it up to the proper rpm which is pretty high up there.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
大日本帝国

^ I realised after I posted, haha. Man, being half asleep and posting sucks, haha. I've been so out of it recently...

~Cheers~
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Instructor

Last weekend spent to changing 5MT and clutch. My vigs 5MT was'nt in good condition when I installed it, and now it became a shit. So bought another one from Rafaga CE4 94, this time. Fits perfectly, like vigs CB5 5MT, no differences at all. Was supprised that clutch shield fixed on engine block and gerbox at the same time - broke it, when pull out gearbox. How honda's engineers suppose to deinstall it - dont understand.

P.S. USA clutch bigger than Japaneese one and maybe more powerfull. Clutch disk is 5 мм wider and thiker than old one (not only becouse its new). Bought this kit on e-bay about ~$300 here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...3286.m20.l1116.